HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Preds Talk Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
General Preds Talk Part V

Continue Here ...

Old
01-29-2014, 12:53 PM
jntarheels

Pretty good article over at section303.com about Poile's comments on moves that still need to be made. Not a whole lot of detail, but I think it is good to know that he is still working to make moves for the team!

Poile: Preds roster “still needs some tinkering…”

Old
01-29-2014, 01:45 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntarheels View Post
Pretty good article over at section303.com about Poile's comments on moves that still need to be made. Not a whole lot of detail, but I think it is good to know that he is still working to make moves for the team!

I saw that as well. I bet Wilson, Legwand, Cullen, and Goose are being discussed as we type.

Old
01-29-2014, 01:58 PM
preds1

vCash: 605
Outside of our defense and 1st, I'm not sure what other GMs' would be interested in to land what we need as an "upgrade"?
I would expect picks & prospects coming back if we do make a move.

Old
01-29-2014, 02:32 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Outside of our defense and 1st, I'm not sure what other GMs' would be interested in to land what we need as an "upgrade"?
I would expect picks & prospects coming back if we do make a move.
Yeah. Maybe a high potential prospect, depending on the teams involved, but we're not getting any established scorers unless a team needs to discard them for other reasons, or we move d-men. At this point, despite the potential return, I am becoming less and less a fan of blowing the defense up.

Old
01-29-2014, 03:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jntarheels View Post

The article is written as though we're sellers, but Poile seems to be of mind to add a piece in the week before the Olympic hiatus. For a team so deep in a hole, though, I'm not sure the pieces we could acquire would be worth the asking price.

I do think we're either going to cut bait on Wilson or sell high on Spaling by the end of the summer, but I doubt either gets us much in return unless part of a bigger deal to get something of real value.

Old
01-29-2014, 03:23 PM
MrJoshua

I still think parting ways with Wilson would be a mistake. He's a 24-year-old player with a ton of skill, who seemed to be coming into his own last season before getting hurt. He's the sort of player the team should be adding, not subtracting - young, talented, with a lot of potential. He has a couple of years yet before I'd be ready to declare his potential tapped out. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

Old
01-29-2014, 03:24 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I still think parting ways with Wilson would be a mistake. He's a 24-year-old player with a ton of skill, who seemed to be coming into his own last season before getting hurt. He's the sort of player the team should be adding, not subtracting - young, talented, with a lot of potential. He has a couple of years yet before I'd be ready to declare his potential tapped out. But of course that's just my personal opinion.
I think we're keeping him and moving him to center with Legwand moving this year, and Cullen and Fisher moving sometime in the next two years.

Old
01-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Callahan is a Trotz/Poile type of player. You know DP would love to add him to the roster. He isn't a superstar, but he is a borderline #1 center, two way game, consistent 20 goal scorer. Reportedly asking for 7 years 42 million (yikes) ....

01-29-2014, 04:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Callahan is a Trotz/Poile type of player. You know DP would love to add him to the roster. He isn't a superstar, but he is a borderline #1 center, two way game, consistent 20 goal scorer. Reportedly asking for 7 years 42 million (yikes) ....
Are you talking about right winger Ryan Callahan who has taken 59 face-offs since 2011 and scored 50 points once in his career? That sounds nothing like a #1 center. He would be a useful player, but at $6M a year for a player with similar production to Hornqvist, I'd pass.

Old
01-29-2014, 05:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Are you talking about right winger Ryan Callahan who has taken 59 face-offs since 2011 and scored 50 points once in his career? That sounds nothing like a #1 center. He would be a useful player, but at $6M a year for a player with similar production to Hornqvist, I'd pass.
Wow. My mistake. I've always viewed him as a center. Obviously I haven't watched a lot of tape on him. Those are 1/2 center numbers. Not as impressive from the wing.

Last edited by Enoch: 01-29-2014 at 05:24 PM.
Old
01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

I want no part of Callahan here. Of course that means we will trade for him.

Old
01-29-2014, 07:08 PM
GeauxPreds

I don't think Wilson moves. I think one of legwand and cullen moves and they continue to test the waters with Wilson back at center after trotz's glowing review of his game against the peg. It's funny we worry about Center for the future with Legwand/Cullen/Fisher/Gaustad all being old and potentially near the end of their careers and here we have had Wilson the whole time a natural center out on the wing.

Old
01-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Parenteau scratched again. I wouldn't mind adding him....

Old
01-29-2014, 08:01 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Parenteau scratched again. I wouldn't mind adding him....
PAP would be ok. I don't relish improving the Avs any in exchange though.

Old
01-29-2014, 11:28 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
I'd take him in a heartbeat on a wing here.If the wheels are in motion to dump Cullen or Legwand and Wilson to center it makes sense, I'd pay a million more than Legwand for him.

(Legwand will get 5 million on the thin open market for a 2-3 year deal)

hypothetically

top six-Wilson, Fisher, Forsberg, Hornquist, Callahan, Smith
bottom six-Spaling, Gaustad, Bourque, Nystrom, Cullen/Legwand, pick a winger-Beck, Sissons (moved into the convo) Clune, Watson

That group looks like a 175 goal group to me (assuming the kids continue to develop). and add in another 55-60 or so from the D and it is roughly a 240 goal team which is plenty of offense. For reference sake, the pens the last full season led the league with 273. And also 3 goals a game over 82 games is 246, which I think is a good goal for any team. Only 3 clubs did it the last full season

Old
01-31-2014, 09:37 AM
ILikeItILoveIt

Maybe I'm totally dense and can't see it but what happened to the message board on the preds website? They have this updated Social Media portal with tweets twirling, links to facebook, etc but can't find link to the message board. Is it dead or just moved?

Old
01-31-2014, 10:08 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

It's now a license plate: LMN8ED.

It got to be spammer heaven, and very few people actually posted over there. Thus, the PFO lady in charge decided to do her best Tina Fey impersenation. "SHUT. IT. DOWN."

Old
01-31-2014, 01:54 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Fenton was in Toronto last night, wonder who he was scouting

Old
01-31-2014, 03:20 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Kulikov, of course!

Old
01-31-2014, 03:29 PM
INDhockeyfan

If we trade for another D man I'll scream. Kadri? I know there are always rumors about Leafs shopping him.

Old
01-31-2014, 06:43 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDhockeyfan View Post
If we trade for another D man I'll scream. Kadri? I know there are always rumors about Leafs shopping him.
In all seriousness, I think Fenton was looking at Kulemin. Carlyle has never been high on him, and he hasn't been in a role where he can put his talents to full use. His primary linemates have been McClement and Clarkson, who have fewer points combined (6 and 8, respectively) than Kulemin does. He could probably be had for a song.

Kadri and Lupul and the like are unrealistic when Toronto is looking to make a run in the playoffs, IMO.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:16 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

So we win, Winnipeg beats Vancouver, and we're 5 points out of a playoff spot. Beat St. Louis and Minnesota and we're right back in the race.

What a bizarre season.

Old
02-01-2014, 01:11 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
So we win, Winnipeg beats Vancouver, and we're 5 points out of a playoff spot. Beat St. Louis and Minnesota and we're right back in the race.

What a bizarre season.
The big misconception on these boards is that the season has been a disaster and the team has been terrible. True, the losses have often been ugly, but I don't think we ever got more than a couple games below .500

Still need a minimum of 34 more points, but its not out of the question.

Also not sure how anyone can still fault Poile for choosing Hutton as a backup this offseason. He's 4 games over .500. I admit I thought he was terrible early on, but you really can't ask for more than that from a backup.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:14 PM
INDhockeyfan

We aren't as bad as people make it out to be. It just looked that way because we would have some really bad losses. That is going to happen with backup goalies and a very young defense. We remember those bad losses and not the wins. It also looked worse because of how hot the west teams were and getting way ahead of us. Now some of them are coming back to us. If you look at the last 10 games we are 6-3-1 but it didn't seem like it because all people talked about were the loses which were the 4-0 loss to MN, 5-4 loss to Colorado that was worse then the score because we came back and the 5-1 loss to Edmonton. Plus the Shootout loss to Calgary when we had a big lead but it gave us a point. We are just as good as a lot of the teams in the east and we would have been in the playoff race the whole time if we weren't in the west.

Closed Thread