HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Koivu and Kovalev

Old
02-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Koivu and Kovalev

So when are these two guys gonna start earning their big paychecks? These guys are our two highest paid players and are suppose to be leaders. It's time for them to take this team by the collar and do something.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
So when are these two guys gonna start earning their big paychecks? These guys are our two highest paid players and are suppose to be leaders. It's time for them to take this team by the collar and do something.
We'll hear the same thing we hear after every bad loss, how this team has to look itself in the mirror and start playing like it matters, bla bla bla, and they'll come out flat again.

This season is becoming a mirror image of last year. Start off hot, then back your way into the playoffs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:39 PM
8baby*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
You loved them vs Bruins in o4.Now you hate them,Get a

8baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

We're having hot and cold moments 'cause......we're just an average team. And to be average you need some great and some bad moments.....People will need to realize that.

Seriously, I really hope Rivet and Souray goes. Maybe if we don't have a "sure" goal with Souray on the PP they'll start working harder 5 on 5 and be a better team. Rivet doesn't bring anything that Côté, at a cheaper price, wouldn't bring. And there's tons of UFA's available that looks like Rivet and might not have the nerve to ask for 2.5 next summer....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:41 PM
8baby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
We'll hear the same thing we hear after every bad loss, how this team has to look itself in the mirror and start playing like it matters, bla bla bla, and they'll come out flat again.

This season is becoming a mirror image of last year. Start off hot, then back your way into the playoffs.
No what it is,the games matter more now and the real teams are showing themselves,out with the pretenders and in with the contenders.New rulesc only reason Scabs are even in the hunt to make playoffs and ewveryone of you boobirds know it

Old
02-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We're having hot and cold moments 'cause......we're just an average team. And to be average you need some great and some bad moments.....People will need to realize that.
I know we are not an elite team but I don't consider Koivu and Kovalev "average" players. But they sure are playing like it.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Ross MacLochness

We need a REAL star player.

I don't care if he's a center, a goal scorer, a playmaker... doesn't matter. It's so obvious now. How can we be a top team without a player in the top 40-50 scorers? I've had enough. Hockey is a team game but we need a star player so badly it's not even funny.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

Seriously, I really hope Rivet and Souray goes. Maybe if we don't have a "sure" goal with Souray on the PP they'll start working harder 5 on 5 and be a better team. Rivet doesn't bring anything that Côté, at a cheaper price, wouldn't bring. And there's tons of UFA's available that looks like Rivet and might not have the nerve to ask for 2.5 next summer....
It's that we're an average team that pisses me off. Every time it looks like they took a step forward towards becoming a good team, they take a step back. Being in 7th-8th every year grows tiresome.

Old
02-03-2007, 03:43 PM
David_99

You can add Sammy to your list. Yes he got assists recently, but damn, I've never seen a player with so many moves standing in one place, right in front of the net and not get a shot off. It's almost like he waits til he is surrounded before he does anything. By then he gives it away.

Koivu is our leader and he will be back in form. Kovy and Sammy, I donno. I think they lost it. 4.5 + 3.5 million = 0 production. Those are terrible numbers. How can our rookies really do any worse? Free up 8 million and get an impact player with that money. If only it were that easy. I don't want to wait til the playoffs to see Kovy score a couple goals.

All I can say is thank god for Bonk, Johnson and Streit.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:45 PM
8baby*

Quote:
It's that we're an average team that pisses me off. Every time it looks like they took a step forward towards becoming a good team, they take a step back. Being in 7th-8th every year grows tiresome.
not every year!missed playoffs a couple years

Old
02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Tricolore#20

I want to see Kovalev play with Koivu. The top two lines seem to have gotten stale, and unfortunately Higgins looks like a shadow of himself from the beginning of the year. Perhaps playing Kovalev Koivu and Latendresse will give this team a different look on the top line.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:49 PM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
You can add Sammy to your list. Yes he got assists recently, but damn, I've never seen a player with so many moves standing in one place, right in front of the net and not get a shot off. It's almost like he waits til he is surrounded before he does anything. By then he gives it away.

Koivu is our leader and he will be back in form. Kovy and Sammy, I donno. I think they lost it. 4.5 + 3.5 million = 0 production. Those are terrible numbers. How can our rookies really do any worse? Free up 8 million and get an impact player with that money. If only it were that easy. I don't want to wait til the playoffs to see Kovy score a couple goals.

All I can say is thank god for Bonk, Johnson and Streit.
I'm not ready to give a free ride to Koivu. He needs to be the big man in the room and start kicking some furious butt, especially his two linemates. Kovalev, well, he always only play as goos as the rest of the team. On certain occasion he is gonna step up, but you always get that feeling like he could be so much more.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:50 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Disagree, Samsonov is the only one of our top five forwards (him, Ryder, Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev) lately playing like he's trying to earn his salary. At least he's trying out there. The rest just look like zombies.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
I'm not ready to give a free ride to Koivu. He needs to be the big man in the room and start kicking some furious butt, especially his two linemates. Kovalev, well, he always only play as goos as the rest of the team. On certain occasion he is gonna step up, but you always get that feeling like he could be so much more.
Koivu is only as good as his linemates. He's a playmaker. If neither Higgins nor Ryder can be in the right position and put the puck in the net, there's not much Koivu can do. Everybody always says how Kovy is a game braker and that's what he's paid for. Damn, I'd rather have another Lats who will play intense the whole game so we don't NEED a game braker. Put anyone else where Kovy is and he'll have more points and won't give up so much. Fancy plays and give-aways are all he seems to have left in the tank.

Old
02-03-2007, 03:55 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Disagree, Samsonov is the only one of our top five forwards (him, Ryder, Koivu, Higgins, Kovalev) lately playing like he's trying to earn his salary. At least he's trying out there. The rest just look like zombies.
He's the only one of them buzzing, yes, but if he doesn't shoot when he gets the chance, what good is he? He gets the chance to pass but decides to keep it and skate in a circle while the whole other teams gets back into position. He gets the puck, buzzes around in a circle til there's no more play.

Old
02-03-2007, 03:55 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
We need a REAL star player.

I don't care if he's a center, a goal scorer, a playmaker... doesn't matter. It's so obvious now. How can we be a top team without a player in the top 40-50 scorers? I've had enough. Hockey is a team game but we need a star player so badly it's not even funny.
Who was our last real star player ?

How long has it been ?

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 03:56 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I don't think I've seen Kovalev "break" a single game this year.

Old
02-03-2007, 03:58 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't think I've seen Kovalev "break" a single game this year.
I can't imagine what Lappy and Steit are thinking. "He makes almost 10x what I do and I'M doing all the work? Why? Cause of what he's done in the past?"

Well prolly not but that'd be what I'm thinkin if I were them.

Old
02-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS View Post

How long has it been ?
I have no idea but if the Chicago Blackhawks can go out and get Martin Havlat there is no excuse why we are always stuck with the Ryders and Kovalev's of the world. Hell Burke is in Anaheim for like 10 minutes and he's already got Neidermayer, Pronger, and is now supposedly one of the front runners for Forsberg.

I am sick of it. Go get a STAR Bob. No one is untouchable. This team needs an offensive star. Quit hoarding prospects and get someone who will make a difference in games like today.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Cyrrus147

I agree that sooner or later Gainey will have to make a big move. We need a great offensive forward, we have some assets that we can trade. Otherwise we can always sign Brière this summer.

Cyrrus147 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
mitchmagic

Send a message via MSN to mitchmagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS View Post

How long has it been ?
I think it was Damphousse between 96-98 sometime. I could be wrong though.

Perhaps the Habs were just saving their energy for tomorrow's game, still, the 3rd period was utterly terrible today.

Mitchell

mitchmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Does Patrick Roy count?

Old
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmagic View Post
I think it was Damphousse between 96-98 sometime. I could be wrong though.

Perhaps the Habs were just saving their energy for tomorrow's game, still, the 3rd period was utterly terrible today.

Mitchell
That just made me sadder

Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Same here. Don't worry I can't stand it, but I'll be cheering anyway, hoping we'll turn things around soon.

But I hope people will stop talking about keeping the core of this team together, 'cause it's the core that we have that makes us the 8th spot team that we have.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

where's TheDamned now???

This guy is so annoying. When Kovalev has his monthly 1 good game he comes on here and says "Where are all the Kovy bashers now?" well....where's The Damned now?

btw, I'm a Kovy fan..I just don't have a man crush on him like thedamned does...

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote