HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Klein

Old
01-27-2014, 01:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
He was ok. Not quite worthy of the nickname "Optimus Klein" yet...Let him settle in.
i love that nickname!

also, vanilla is a pretty intense flavor. it's just that we usually use very little of it but it goes a looong way.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Placid

I liked what i saw of him. Granted, the sample size is tiny (yet again), but he has seemed confident with the puck, making simple plays, and been positionally sound defensively. If he manages to keep that up, i'd be very happy.

Placid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:28 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Looked a little slow compared to the rest of the team
Same was said about Jeff Beukaboom. We know how he made his partner to shine. He reminds me of Ulfie, his coach. Without Ulf's antics, though.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

2 games does not a sample size make. need to see him for at least 10 to make a judgement call...too much of a transition to really make any judgements.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:49 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
Smart and positional...he also played 19:01
well said.

he actually skates very well but is a very efficient player who doesnt run around alot and look clueless like del zotto did and moore does occasionally. he looks to me to be a guy who reads the game pretty well too.

just this one simple move does so much for our defense. eliminates a struggling player without a spot and adds a player who makes all 3 pairs better.

a few more things. hes a pretty decent scrapper too. he throws bombs and hits to hurt. he has knock out power in his hands. hes well respected around the league as a guy who knows how to throw em.

lastly, im curious to see how this move plays out visa vie dylan mcilrath.

kleiner is a rd and signed for 4 yrs. we have girardi and stralzie on the right side. if we let stralman walk-(i would move girardi), we probably resign girardi or visa versa. either way, we have room on the right side for a guy like mcilrath.

are we potentially looking at a top 7 next year of ??

staal stralman
mcd klein
moore mcilrath
allen

that doesnt look bad really. good balance of offensive/defensive guys and blend of youth and vets.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 01:56 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
well said.

he actually skates very well but is a very efficient player who doesnt run around alot and look clueless like del zotto did and moore does occasionally. he looks to me to be a guy who reads the game pretty well too.

just this one simple move does so much for our defense. eliminates a struggling player without a spot and adds a player who makes all 3 pairs better.

a few more things. hes a pretty decent scrapper too. he throws bombs and hits to hurt. he has knock out power in his hands. hes well respected around the league as a guy who knows how to throw em.

kleiner is a rd and signed for 4 yrs. we have girardi and stralzie on the right side. if we let stralman walk-(i would move girardi), we probably resign girardi or visa versa. either way, we have room on the right side for a guy like mcilrath.

staal stralman
mcd klein
moore mcilrath
allen

that doesnt look bad really. good balance of offensive/defensive guys and blend of youth and vets.
You're right I left that out he's a strong guy who can throw down

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:00 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
well said.

staal stralman
mcd klein
moore mcilrath
allen

I think that would be a good plan IMO. Let McIlrath and Allen battle it out for the #6 spot, the other gets more time in the AHL and is the 1st call-up.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2014, 02:02 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
You're right I left that out he's a strong guy who can throw down
He can, but I think relying on him to do so more than once or twice a year is asking too much. Girardi is actually a good fighter as well but he doesn't practically ever. It's nice to have these guys around, but when you have to look to a player like Klein to add some truculence and the ability to drop the gloves, that means there is a larger issue.

Old
01-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
01-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
01-27-2014, 02:13 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Old
01-28-2014, 07:51 AM
SlapshotTheMovie

This is whats going to happen to guys who try to get in hanks head after the play.

Reality is he can play big minutes and give other players a chance to shine. I am waiting 10 games before I commit to an opinion but this isn't a rookie we are talking about. He has been with Nashville for a while. We are more or less looking how he adjusts to what is a similar system on D.

SlapshotTheMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
well said.

staal stralman
mcd klein
moore mcilrath
allen

And some snarl. If I were a betting man, this is what I would wager on for next September. I'd like to see Skjei in Hartford in case of injury.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:59 AM
eco's bones

I like Klein but he's hardly a frequent fighter. It's like John Moore has done well in his couple fights but don't expect it to happen very often. Klein is more a model of consistency--takes care of his own end--doesn't run around looking for hits--lets them come to him. There are the occasions when he does drop them. Apart from that he does not take penalties--35 minors in 405 NHL games--averaging somewhere around 18-20 minutes a night. That's almost unbelievable. That's one minor penalty for every 11 and a half games he plays.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:25 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

I liked what I saw from Klein tonight. He seems like a very smart player with very good positioning. The lone Devils goal wasn't his fault. He had to pick a man and he picked the guy with the puck leaving the other one wide open, but it wasn't his fault.

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:04 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
I liked what I saw from Klein tonight. He seems like a very smart player with very good positioning. The lone Devils goal wasn't his fault. He had to pick a man and he picked the guy with the puck leaving the other one wide open, but it wasn't his fault.
You meant Isles' of course.

But I agree. It was a broken play. **** happens.

He's making high percentage/calm plays with the puck while generally not getting caught out of position. And J. Moore looks so far like a very confident player. Don't think it's a coincidence.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:08 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I like Klein but he's hardly a frequent fighter. It's like John Moore has done well in his couple fights but don't expect it to happen very often. Klein is more a model of consistency--takes care of his own end--doesn't run around looking for hits--lets them come to him. There are the occasions when he does drop them. Apart from that he does not take penalties--35 minors in 405 NHL games--averaging somewhere around 18-20 minutes a night. That's almost unbelievable. That's one minor penalty for every 11 and a half games he plays.
I think this is bang on, but the one thing I've observed of Klein, over his career, is that even though he is not a frequent fighter he IS a fairly willing combatant. What I mean by that is, he doesn't really drop them unless it's needed, but unlike our guys who rarely/never go (Girardi/Staal/McDonagh) Klein will mix it up after the whistle more and shove you away from his goalie and show a greater willingness to throw the gloves off if you test him.

I know it doesn't mean much when the resulting fights are still infrequent, but I feel like the presence of a willing fighter (and one who has shown he can throw 'em pretty well when he does go, even if it isn't often) adds a little something to the D core. Staal, Girardi and McD don't have that quality. They're physical enough, but they don't have that "edge" that Klein's willingness provides. I actually think Klein likes to fight and the reason he doesn't do so more often is that he's smart and realizes it's a poor trade for his team most of the time.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:12 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
You meant Isles' of course.

But I agree. It was a broken play. **** happens.

He's making high percentage/calm plays with the puck while generally not getting caught out of position. And J. Moore looks so far like a very confident player. Don't think it's a coincidence.
Yeah, it's obviously a small sample size, but Moore is looking like a different player now. All of a sudden I'm a lot more interested when he's on the ice and it's no longer holding your breath and wondering how the shift is going to end but actually getting excited to see what he might contribute to the transition/offense. Definitely refreshing and, as you say, probably not a coincidence.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:16 PM
Slick Rick 61

Klein got caught standing up in the neutral zone early in the 1st period, leading to a 2-on-1, but after that I thought he settled down nicely. Very calm, heady player.

The blown assignment on the Nelson goal wasn't his fault, though it appears that way. Have to pick up that forward going to the net, so he played that right.

Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 11:24 PM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

I have hardly noticed Klein the last couple of games... and that's a really good thing. I tend to notice D-Men most when they're blowing assignments and making bad decisions. Klein is never going to be the type of player to consistently make jaw-dropping offensive plays but you don't need to in order to be a successful NHL D-Man. Grabbing him to pair with Moore was a great idea in concept and has been great in execution. When you consider the contract, this is a deal that's very likely to pay off for the Rangers. It's not the high-risk high-reward type of move that can land a team a star but it's a subtle move that's smart all around.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:53 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERE 24 View Post
I think this is bang on, but the one thing I've observed of Klein, over his career, is that even though he is not a frequent fighter he IS a fairly willing combatant. What I mean by that is, he doesn't really drop them unless it's needed, but unlike our guys who rarely/never go (Girardi/Staal/McDonagh) Klein will mix it up after the whistle more and shove you away from his goalie and show a greater willingness to throw the gloves off if you test him.

I know it doesn't mean much when the resulting fights are still infrequent, but I feel like the presence of a willing fighter (and one who has shown he can throw 'em pretty well when he does go, even if it isn't often) adds a little something to the D core. Staal, Girardi and McD don't have that quality. They're physical enough, but they don't have that "edge" that Klein's willingness provides. I actually think Klein likes to fight and the reason he doesn't do so more often is that he's smart and realizes it's a poor trade for his team most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan Auto View Post
I have hardly noticed Klein the last couple of games... and that's a really good thing. I tend to notice D-Men most when they're blowing assignments and making bad decisions. Klein is never going to be the type of player to consistently make jaw-dropping offensive plays but you don't need to in order to be a successful NHL D-Man. Grabbing him to pair with Moore was a great idea in concept and has been great in execution. When you consider the contract, this is a deal that's very likely to pay off for the Rangers. It's not the high-risk high-reward type of move that can land a team a star but it's a subtle move that's smart all around.
Basically I'm just a lot more comfortable with our third pairing than I've been in a long time. The last game against Pittsburgh--Moore and DZ getting caught out on the ice against the Crosby line and the team just went into total panic mode. Having a good 3rd pairing gives your top two pairings room to breathe and we won't have to overplay them as much.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:54 AM
NYR Viper

He has been a very good stabilizing presence on the last pairing. Smooth and calm with the puck as well. I still like him.

Old
01-30-2014, 08:53 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

the klein deal was more about john moore then it was del zotto. like i said before, its a 2fer. potentially, you get a much improved john moore and a steady kevin klein for an unproductive mdz. moore seems to have been told, imo, to open it up. skate the puck, push it up, and be creative. so far, he seems to be doing that.

av likes moores wheels. who wouldnt ? his skating is on par with mcdonagh in many ways- and thats saying a ton. hes the prototypical dman in an av system. 6'2 200+ effortless stride. moore has alot more potential then hes shown to date but he poised now to take a big step.

as a draft junkie, i remember when he was taken by cbus in 2009 from the chi steel, this kid was highly regarded. colorado college committ and thats a big time program. not sure, but i think kitchner had his rights and so he was ready to play major junior as well. he was known back then as a swift, offensive pmd.

i think john moore is underappreciated on this site somewhat. yes, his defensive play has been so-so at times but his development was stalled by being rushed into the league by cbus.

this kid will be a really solid player.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
He has been a very good stabilizing presence on the last pairing. Smooth and calm with the puck as well. I still like him.
He was flat footed on the Isles goal last night, but whatever, Ill always take a steady D-man over an inconsistent guy with some offensive upside.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:12 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I really haven't noticed him. Which, I guess, is a good thing.