HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News on Ozo...and it's not good for Rangers

Old
01-09-2007, 03:24 PM
WheresBarnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Is Sandis a beer guy?The east european drunks are more into harder liquor than beer

In honor of his agent Paul Theofanous from one greek to another,Sandis is an ouzo guy.Ouzo tastes and smells like rubbing alchohol.They add water before drinking it

Wow, that's an ironic name for a brand of booze.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 03:52 PM
crisb

This guy never got his game together with us.

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2007, 04:09 PM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'm quite aware of what it tastes, smells and feels like the day after
Tastes like black Licorous(Licorice? sp? *** hard word!!), only good. Exactly like Sambuca only hits harder. 84 proof i think. Highly recommended

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

This guy is still hurt.It looks like his entire $2.75 million will count against the cap.The Rangers were hoping to place him on waivers again around this week but...

Quote:
At least Sandis Ozolinsh is around to take his place. Im kidding, sort of. Truth is, it doesnt look like the spurned defenseman is in position to be playing in a game at any level. Having returned to New York after extensive physical therapy out west, Ozolinsh took to the ice for a brief skate after practice, but looked like he was struggling the whole time. I asked him what his status was. Four words: I have no idea.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
JamesG1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post

He looks like a member of the Garden faithful

LOL..Looks like a fan that's had enough of Dancin Larry up in the 4's..

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
GarretJoseph*

Is he really injured or is this all BS?

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
TomLaidlaw

When he reports to Hartford we are gonna have a 5 mill d pairing playing in Hartford with him and Kaspar.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:46 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
As bad as he was on the ice for the Rangers, I didn't expect him to become such a nuisance off the ice as well. What a pain in the neck.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Edge

Kaparitis and Ozo are the prime examples of poor asset management.

Not that other moves have been gold, but these two represent the worst of the worst.

So what is the combined hit on both these guys right now? Like a shade under $5-million?

There's your Marc Savard contract right there or there's a big chunk of your Chara contract.

Pitiful.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:00 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Not that other moves have been gold, but these two represent the worst of the worst.

So what is the combined hit on both these guys right now? Like a shade under $5-million?

There's your Marc Savard contract right there or there's a big chunk of your Chara contract.

Pitiful.
I believe its actually over $5 million. Ozo was at $2.75 and Kaspar was a shade under $3, like $2.9 something. The Rangers may have missed out on Savard and Chara last summer but at least they will have that extra money to go after UFA's this summer. It would have been nice to have either of those players though.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
Edge

You're probably right, it's actually over $5m.

Now I'm the first to admit I am not the best reference for the new CBA but wouldn't part of Kaspar's salary still count next season? Like $1-million?

For me it's just frustrating because between those two players you have more than $5 million of dead salary right there and it was completely avoidable.

That's not even counting some of the other contracts this team has on defense. It's so much money for a such a sorry bunch.

Old
02-01-2007, 06:40 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Now I'm the first to admit I am not the best reference for the new CBA but wouldn't part of Kaspar's salary still count next season? Like $1-million?
If they decide to stick him right back in Hartford, he'll garner no cap hit (just the nicest Wolfpack paycheck). He wasn't 35 (nor is he yet) so those rules don't apply either.

Options for Kaspar are the following:

Offseason Buy-Out: 2/3 of the remaining contract over twice the term of the remaining years: (~1 million spread over 2 years)

Waiver Re-Entry: Assuming he's picked up by another team (~1.5 million for 1 year)

I see no reason why the Rangers do either, as long as Kaspar keeps his positive attitude. In all honesty, I still expect the Rangers to take one last look at him in camp next year (after a whole recuperative, non surgery filled offseason...he's 34, not 39).

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Edge

Thanks, that clears that up for me.

Old
02-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Is he really injured or is this all BS?
He had ACL surgery in June, for most hockey players the recovery period is at least 6 months. The only BS is that team doctors cleared him to play way too early.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
If they decide to stick him right back in Hartford, he'll garner no cap hit (just the nicest Wolfpack paycheck). He wasn't 35 (nor is he yet) so those rules don't apply either.

Options for Kaspar are the following:

Offseason Buy-Out: 2/3 of the remaining contract over twice the term of the remaining years: (~1 million spread over 2 years)

Waiver Re-Entry: Assuming he's picked up by another team (~1.5 million for 1 year)

I see no reason why the Rangers do either, as long as Kaspar keeps his positive attitude. In all honesty, I still expect the Rangers to take one last look at him in camp next year (after a whole recuperative, non surgery filled offseason...he's 34, not 39).
And although he probably won't...if Kaspar retires after the year, do the Rangers still have to honor the contract while it won't count against the cap?

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:32 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
He had ACL surgery in June, for most hockey players the recovery period is at least 6 months. The only BS is that team doctors cleared him to play way too early.
There is no such a thing as 100% after ACL surgery or any major surgery for that matter. Guys like Jagr still could be helpful. Guys like Kaspar and Ozo to lesser extent, but still would've been alright should Henke played like he does now. Good playing goalie makes the entire team look focused and hardworking.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
There is no such a thing as 100% after ACL surgery or any major surgery for that matter. Guys like Jagr still could be helpful. Guys like Kaspar and Ozo to lesser extent, but still would've been alright should Henke played like he does now. Good playing goalie makes the entire team look focused and hardworking.
Where did I say anything about 100%? Plus, the situtations in all of the players you mention are different. Ozolinsh's stands out because he came back before he was fully healed. Kaspar and Jagr were much further along in that process even before training camp.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 02-03-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old
02-03-2007, 03:33 AM
Fish

Quote:

Pitiful.
Well I remain happy that we don't have Chara on the books...I think he's way overpaid and would be just another Kasparaitis/Ozolinsh over the longer term for the Rangers...i.e. an underperforming player with a big immovable salary.

As for Savard, it's interesting to note that he's played something like 550 NHL games and he's yet to play in a single NHL playoff game.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Bruins are going to miss the playoffs with Chara and Savard just like they missed the playoffs last season without Chara and Savard.Ottawa and Atlanta will make the playoffs without Chara and Savard.What does that tell you about Chara and Savard?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:05 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Well I remain happy that we don't have Chara on the books...I think he's way overpaid and would be just another Kasparaitis/Ozolinsh over the longer term for the Rangers...i.e. an underperforming player with a big immovable salary.

As for Savard, it's interesting to note that he's played something like 550 NHL games and he's yet to play in a single NHL playoff game.
Could not agree with you more on Chara. Playoffs the guy's a choke artist. As Rangerboy is pointing out, Ottawa hasn't missed him. Kasper has just broken down. He was effective last year. His contract will be disposed of during the off season, if not, he will be waived again and sent to Hartford so the cap hit will be zero. Ozo was a gamble, everyone knew it at the time of the trade. You win some, you lose some.

Look on the bright side, Ozo's continual injury may actually help us in limiting our cap space for a deadline trade. We can't trade an injured player, so maybe, just maybe, we keep our young assets instead of the dreaded quick fix.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
The Bruins are going to miss the playoffs with Chara and Savard just like they missed the playoffs last season without Chara and Savard.Ottawa and Atlanta will make the playoffs without Chara and Savard.What does that tell you about Chara and Savard?
We were projected to miss the playoffs even when we had Thornton, so whats your point there?
We had a crappy team with Joe, after Joe, before Chara/Savard and still have a crappy team. Ever think maybe our goaltending is the problem?
We haven't seen great goaltending here since the late 80's/early 90's with Moog......and our performance since shows it.

Last edited by ranold26: 02-03-2007 at 02:22 PM.
ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
What does it tell me? Absolutely nothing. Hockey is a team sport and it takes more than one or two players--no matter how elite--to create a winning team. Some of the best players to ever play the game (including TGO) couldn't get their teams into the playoffs every year.

Old
02-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Edge

Quote:
You're right and the Rangers look they might miss the playoffs with Jagr and Shanahan and Boston never won a cup with Bourque and Steve Yzerman never won anything till he was 31 years old.

It tells me that that Atlanta and Ottawa are good teams, not that there is something wrong with Chara and Savard.

Old
02-03-2007, 04:10 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Could not agree with you more on Chara. Playoffs the guy's a choke artist. As Rangerboy is pointing out, Ottawa hasn't missed him. Kasper has just broken down. He was effective last year. His contract will be disposed of during the off season, if not, he will be waived again and sent to Hartford so the cap hit will be zero. Ozo was a gamble, everyone knew it at the time of the trade. You win some, you lose some.

Look on the bright side, Ozo's continual injury may actually help us in limiting our cap space for a deadline trade. We can't trade an injured player, so maybe, just maybe, we keep our young assets instead of the dreaded quick fix.
I dunno Atlanta, you could probably say the entire Ottawa team has underachieved in the playoffs.

And as for the win some lose some, to be good that also requires winning as many as you lose otherwise you still have a losing record. On defense this team has a pretty bad record.

Old
02-03-2007, 10:00 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
I dunno Atlanta, you could probably say the entire Ottawa team has underachieved in the playoffs.

And as for the win some lose some, to be good that also requires winning as many as you lose otherwise you still have a losing record. On defense this team has a pretty bad record.
Would you not agree that many of the dmen on this roster that play regularly are just fillers, short timers? Baranka and Staal most likely make the squad next year, along with Tyutin that is half the D. Bobby S and Sauer come in 2 years from next year.

One player that I am impress with is Ranger on Tampa. He stinkin plays like an allstar against us every game. He is one player I would like to acquire if we ever do a deal with Tampa.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote