HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice II

Old
01-20-2014, 10:20 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

vCash: 500
Advice needed on skates!

I've owned low-end Vapors in both inline and ice skates, and also own some Reebok 5ks for inline. Main problem I have with them all so far is that after about 10-15 mins on the ice/court, I get a pain running down the outside of the top part of both feet. Taking them off and lacing them back up does offer some respite once that occurs, but it never fully goes away.

At this stage, I'm wondering if it's due to the width of my skates, which have all been Ds. They fit great in the shop, but each time it seems this issue occurs once I actually get out and use them for a bit. I've even tried putting Shock Doctors in my Reeboks and the problem still arises.

In terms of skates, I have quite a skinny ankle so Vapors have been the best in terms of heel lock. I've also tried Eastons, CCMs and Supremes/Nexii(?) in-store, but all have some extra degree of heel lift.

Should I be looking at Vapors in EE at this stage? Does anyone know if the pain I'm experiencing is actually caused by the width being too narrow? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Sureshotte: 01-20-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2014, 10:23 PM
Onetimersniper28

This past year, I've been using my Bauer supreme one 20 skates, and now the right skate is pretty banged up. The boot doesn't have the same shape as the left one because a hard slap shot destroyed it on Saturday. All my teammates are telling me that it's time for me to replace them for something better this time. One of them works at my LHS, and he says I should spend $200 on supreme skates.

I like the fit of the supreme skates, so I'm not gonna change that. I'm just wondering, is it necessary for me to spend a lot on skates ? I don't feel like that will improve my game at all. How much should I spend ?

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 08:48 AM
roffleburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy Sliders View Post
Anyone use the mako's? They seem like they'd be really hit or miss
I use them, and love them, but I used to have the first generation MLX skates so it was a no brainer for me. Break-in period (after baking) was absolutely non-existant. I feel more confident out there and I take a lot of pucks to the feet, so far no issues.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 09:01 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleDrankNJ View Post
Getting my first pair of skates and I am torn between the 12k and X50's. They would cost $20 and $150 respectively. Any one have any advice?
Whatever fits best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamosko View Post
Is it bad if you leave the first two eyelets (near toe) on your skates unlaced?

My current pair is too narrow before the toes and hurt to skate in after awhile so I tried it skipping those first two and now I don't feel any pain in my foot after a skate anymore.

They feel better but def a little looser, I was wondering if it's alright or if I should stop and get a better fitting pair.
It sounds like you've identified the problem right there. If you like your skates otherwise, you could see about getting them punched out or stretched to make it wider. The laces thing isn't itself necessarily bad, but the real problem is that discomfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshotte View Post
Advice needed on skates!

I've owned low-end Vapors in both inline and ice skates, and also own some Reebok 5ks for inline. Main problem I have with them all so far is that after about 10-15 mins on the ice/court, I get a pain running down the outside of the top part of both feet. Taking them off and lacing them back up does offer some respite once that occurs, but it never fully goes away.

At this stage, I'm wondering if it's due to the width of my skates, which have all been Ds. They fit great in the shop, but each time it seems this issue occurs once I actually get out and use them for a bit. I've even tried putting Shock Doctors in my Reeboks and the problem still arises.

In terms of skates, I have quite a skinny ankle so Vapors have been the best in terms of heel lock. I've also tried Eastons, CCMs and Supremes/Nexii(?) in-store, but all have some extra degree of heel lift.

Should I be looking at Vapors in EE at this stage? Does anyone know if the pain I'm experiencing is actually caused by the width being too narrow? Thanks in advance!
Well it's tough to pinpoint 100% what the problem is without seeing anything...no one can tell you for absolute certainty without you trying them on yourself.

But it sounds like EE might be better. You could also get them stretched out to make them permanently wider, and I would try that first before spending money on new skates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
This past year, I've been using my Bauer supreme one 20 skates, and now the right skate is pretty banged up. The boot doesn't have the same shape as the left one because a hard slap shot destroyed it on Saturday. All my teammates are telling me that it's time for me to replace them for something better this time. One of them works at my LHS, and he says I should spend $200 on supreme skates.

I like the fit of the supreme skates, so I'm not gonna change that. I'm just wondering, is it necessary for me to spend a lot on skates ? I don't feel like that will improve my game at all. How much should I spend ?
'Necessary' is relative. It sounds like you are a decent enough skater to be able to notice the benefit of greater support. $200 is a good range to start looking as it's not too big of a jump from your entry level One20s. Maybe see about looking at the One.6 or One.5.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Well it's tough to pinpoint 100% what the problem is without seeing anything...no one can tell you for absolute certainty without you trying them on yourself.

But it sounds like EE might be better. You could also get them stretched out to make them permanently wider, and I would try that first before spending money on new skates.
Thanks for the response! I did actually get one of my pairs of Vapors punched out once, but that didn't solve the problem. I'm also going to try loosening up my lacing around that area too; perhaps I'm just doing it too tightly.

Old
01-25-2014, 01:12 PM
g04tm4n

vCash: 50
Hi All

Just thought I would give an update. I have managed to fit a Bauer vapor skate size 6.5 D (US 8). The skate actually almost fit, a bit cramped in the front, other than that, it felt a slight bit tight in the forefoot. So a size 7 should be the correct fit. Thanks to all here, especially AIREAYE for pointing me in the right direction.

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:43 PM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Hoping I can get a little advice on my skates, I know very little about skates, what will fit properly, etc. I never had the opportunity to play hockey as a kid never really learned to skate, now in my early 20's I'm trying to get out and learn to skate and play with friends as much as I can, however I've been experiencing tremendous amounts of pain, to the point where after 20-30 minutes I feel like I can no longer even stand. :/

I'm not quite sure how to describe it... My entire foot will hurt, but it is the worst on the inside of my foot where the arch meets the heel and on the outside near the knuckle for my little toe. I find the pain to be unbearable, but be relieved almost instantly when returning to my shoes/boots.

I wear size 7D Bauer Supreme One skates (whichever version is the cheapest or second cheapest in that line), had help sizing them when I bought them, and I wear size 9 - 9(1/2) shoes (depending on the make) but usually go up a half size for width. I'd say I have an average arch on my foot, if anything it's a little high. I've had these skates for a couple months now, used them a fair number of times (10-15), but the pain hasn't been getting anymore bearable.

Any advice, HF? I'd rather not spend more money on new skates if I don't need too, but, do I need to get a wider skate? Do I need to invest in some insoles? Do I need to suck it up and keep "breakin em in"? Does it sound like something "baking" my skates could help with and can I do that at home?

Thanks in advance

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Malarowski

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
Hoping I can get a little advice on my skates, I know very little about skates, what will fit properly, etc. I never had the opportunity to play hockey as a kid never really learned to skate, now in my early 20's I'm trying to get out and learn to skate and play with friends as much as I can, however I've been experiencing tremendous amounts of pain, to the point where after 20-30 minutes I feel like I can no longer even stand. :/

I'm not quite sure how to describe it... My entire foot will hurt, but it is the worst on the inside of my foot where the arch meets the heel and on the outside near the knuckle for my little toe. I find the pain to be unbearable, but be relieved almost instantly when returning to my shoes/boots.

I wear size 7D Bauer Supreme One skates (whichever version is the cheapest or second cheapest in that line), had help sizing them when I bought them, and I wear size 9 - 9(1/2) shoes (depending on the make) but usually go up a half size for width. I'd say I have an average arch on my foot, if anything it's a little high. I've had these skates for a couple months now, used them a fair number of times (10-15), but the pain hasn't been getting anymore bearable.

Any advice, HF? I'd rather not spend more money on new skates if I don't need too, but, do I need to get a wider skate? Do I need to invest in some insoles? Do I need to suck it up and keep "breakin em in"? Does it sound like something "baking" my skates could help with and can I do that at home?

Thanks in advance
Skates are too narrow. Had the same issue. Try punching them out and don't tie the bottom eyelets too tight. See if that helps. Superfeet can help some too, as well as skating more.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 01:11 AM
Alaskimo
Pesky Pesky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
Skates are too narrow. Had the same issue. Try punching them out and don't tie the bottom eyelets too tight. See if that helps. Superfeet can help some too, as well as skating more.
Never even heard of punching them out, I'll have to swing by a local place and try it out, thanks, and yeah, definitely need to skate more haha

Alaskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:04 AM
Sky04

Just need some quick advice, all replies are appreciated.

So I started playing rec hockey about a year ago, started with some Vapor 3.0 skates which weren't fitted properly (toes couldn't reach the top, sides weren't pushing in all the way), but still manageable to learn with (they were a tiny bit too big, and after I got better at skating, I noticed how much it was effecting me) still, I didn't really have to money to buy new skates so I kept using these. I'm a shoe size 9 with a slightly wide foot, I bought these in an 8EE.

Now I'm looking to grab a new pair of skates and I want one that's going to have a much better fit, problem is I don't know how exactly a "proper fit" is supposed to feel until I can actually skate in it, and everyone just gives with different answers based on their opinion.

I looking at getting the Supreme one.6/7 or the RBZ 80's, however they both have a significantly different fit. The Supremes have a tighter fit (7.5D) with a minor pinch on the sides but overall it's a tight snug fit and the toes are touching the top without curling. And with the RBZ's (7.5D), I can reach the top of the boot with my toes if try but it doesn't reach it if I just stand normally, and the boot does feel wider, it's snug without any pinch and feels more "roomy" than the supremes.

My question is if the slight pinch in the Surpreme's is going to get any worse after skating or will it be mitigated if I have them baked? The fit is good aside from the minor pinch on the outside of the foot, I can't go a size down because it'll be too small, and a size up is too big, I haven't tried the EE's in this skate yet though. I like the RBZ's but I have no idea if I'll have the same problem I had with my old skates if I get them because I opted for a little more room over a tighter fitting skate.

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:19 AM
boo10

Going off of shoe size is always dicey, but if you're a size 9 shoe, you should be no larger than a 7 in RBZ (probably 6.5). Also, try the 7EE in Supremes. The RBZ generally fit 0.5 - 1 full size smaller than the other makes.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Sky04

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
Going off of shoe size is always dicey, but if you're a size 9 shoe, you should be no larger than a 7 in RBZ (probably 6.5). Also, try the 7EE in Supremes. The RBZ generally fit 0.5 - 1 full size smaller than the other makes.
Yeah going to try different sizes for sure, I just hate how I won't know if a skate is "too tight" or not tight enough unless I can actually hit the ice with it to get a feel.

Another thing is these hockey stores generally do not have all the sizes available, so I've been driving to different ones everyday to try different sizes but then I'll completely forget how the other one felt...

Sky04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskimo View Post
Never even heard of punching them out, I'll have to swing by a local place and try it out, thanks, and yeah, definitely need to skate more haha
Punching out a cheap boot is going to be pointless the material will just revert back to how it was before pretty quickly. I know you don't want to hear it but it's best to just save up and buy a new pair of skates. Superfeet insoles are going to cost you $40 and what are your skates? $100 new? Go get sized properly and you'll enjoy skating much much more.

Chau Vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 06:18 PM
beedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo10 View Post
BINGO! I am a size 9 street shoe (nike, vans, etc.) and currently wear a Graf size 7.5, however I'm researching new skates and the CCM RBZ80 caught my eye, and I used their foot measurement tool (that also shows your arch height) and am a 6.5 in them. I had my Graf Ultra G5's baked, then punched in the outer midfoot, then baked again, repunched a couple weeks later. Here I am two years later and still don't love my Graf's, thus the quest for a new skate. The CCM RBZ80 felt great right off of the showroom wall, and I then tried it on with the CCM Custom Footbed "Low" Arch and it felt even better! I can't wait to finally buy them.

beedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 06:16 PM
goodriddance628

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Just need some quick advice, all replies are appreciated.

So I started playing rec hockey about a year ago, started with some Vapor 3.0 skates which weren't fitted properly (toes couldn't reach the top, sides weren't pushing in all the way), but still manageable to learn with (they were a tiny bit too big, and after I got better at skating, I noticed how much it was effecting me) still, I didn't really have to money to buy new skates so I kept using these. I'm a shoe size 9 with a slightly wide foot, I bought these in an 8EE.

Now I'm looking to grab a new pair of skates and I want one that's going to have a much better fit, problem is I don't know how exactly a "proper fit" is supposed to feel until I can actually skate in it, and everyone just gives with different answers based on their opinion.

I looking at getting the Supreme one.6/7 or the RBZ 80's, however they both have a significantly different fit. The Supremes have a tighter fit (7.5D) with a minor pinch on the sides but overall it's a tight snug fit and the toes are touching the top without curling. And with the RBZ's (7.5D), I can reach the top of the boot with my toes if try but it doesn't reach it if I just stand normally, and the boot does feel wider, it's snug without any pinch and feels more "roomy" than the supremes.

My question is if the slight pinch in the Surpreme's is going to get any worse after skating or will it be mitigated if I have them baked? The fit is good aside from the minor pinch on the outside of the foot, I can't go a size down because it'll be too small, and a size up is too big, I haven't tried the EE's in this skate yet though. I like the RBZ's but I have no idea if I'll have the same problem I had with my old skates if I get them because I opted for a little more room over a tighter fitting skate.
I wear an 11 street shoe and my RBZ's are 8's, check some of the chain stores, I know the Total Hockey by me will let you use the RBZ's, just give them a deposit try them out and see how they work and get your deposit back when you return the skates

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Just to loop back on my skates issue, I picked up some Mission AC4s in EE for inline, had league evaluations today and no pain! I'll continue to monitor as the league goes on, but early signs are good.

Old
02-03-2014, 02:45 AM
Ducks Nation*
#ReleaseTheDucklings

vCash: 633
Buying a pair of Supreme one.9's tomorrow...I was on the fence but the whole supreme line went on sale for like 150$ less....so I am getting em!

Ducks Nation* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 07:14 PM
Mstone24

Mlx

Anyone looking for MLX skates 7.5 with tuuk light speed edge holders. Will include extra set of tongues and tendon guards.

Mstone24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2014, 11:12 PM
g04tm4n

vCash: 50
Hi All

So my new skates have finally arrived, and I believe the struggle with getting the closest to correct fit has paid off.

Managed to get a pair of Vapor x 5.0's in 7 D. The skates fit as close to a proper fit as I have had, experiencing some pain in the toe on the left skate, but I believe that will go away once broken in. Thanks all on this thread that provided advise and assistance.

g04tm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Hey guys,

So the boots on my supreme one.6's are finally starting to break down and I've started to look at getting some new skates. Now my question is how the Easton RS's compares in profile to the supremes. I have pretty wide/flat feet, and the supremes have fit really well, but I found a great deal on the RS's and have read they are similar. Ultimately I'll try them all on, but I'm interested in what to expect going in.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2014, 08:07 PM
AIREAYE

I'm one of those people who've said that they felt similar LOL. After baking the RS' however, their reactivity should work better in your favor.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:12 AM
Trl3789

vCash: 219
Does hockey giant honor discounts from other companies? Basically, i found the RS's online for cheaper than HG offers them (about $70 less), and received a 25% coupon for an Easton product (including skates). I'd much rather buy them at my LHS, but if I can get them for ~ $150 less, I'm going to end up being that guy who tries stuff on at the store and then buys it online, even though i'd really prefer not to do it.

Trl3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 07:37 AM
AIREAYE

Just ask them.

My advice if you're going to do that is to just be courteous. Let the guy who is helping you know that you have this opportunity but elsewhere beforehand. They might be able to work a deal for you. If not then they know not to spend anymore effort in trying to sell it to you.

Old
02-27-2014, 12:16 PM
TheGreatOutlaw

Has anyone used the Easton stealth 75rs or 85rs? I noticed a huge discount plus a 25% off coupon. I was just wondering if these skates are a bad line or is it just a great sale. My current skates are 4 year old easton mid to high end stealths and I loved them. I just want to know that I am getting a good skate because the discount is huge.

Last edited by TheGreatOutlaw: 02-27-2014 at 12:25 PM.
TheGreatOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2014, 01:41 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trl3789 View Post
Hey guys,

So the boots on my supreme one.6's are finally starting to break down and I've started to look at getting some new skates. Now my question is how the Easton RS's compares in profile to the supremes. I have pretty wide/flat feet, and the supremes have fit really well, but I found a great deal on the RS's and have read they are similar. Ultimately I'll try them all on, but I'm interested in what to expect going in.
I just got fitted for skates around a month ago....
Tried on a bunch, and was debating on a pair of one.7's, when I tried on a pair of RS.....
To me, the Supremes were a bit too wide, to the point that I was worried whether or not baking them would do the trick....then I tried on the RS, and was in heaven....perfect.
I do not have wide feet, and both skates were a 6D.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote