HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Playing hockey with replica jerseys

Old
01-31-2007, 09:11 PM
hova09

vCash: 500
Playing hockey with replica jerseys

Does anyone play with replica jerseys? I have some from ebay,
but I'm afraid they would get destroyed.. do you think it is strong enough??

hova09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 10:21 PM
saveourpens

Some kid on my team practices with a Crosby replica. Seems to be holding up just fine. The only thing I'd worry about is the smell afterwards if you're planning on using it for things other than hockey.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
RJ8812*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveourpens View Post
Some kid on my team practices with a Crosby replica. Seems to be holding up just fine. The only thing I'd worry about is the smell afterwards if you're planning on using it for things other than hockey.
id rock him

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:32 PM
hexrae

vCash: 50
Depends on what you want does replica's for. If you want to display them then DO NOT play in them. Otherwise, if you bought them to be used then play away.

hexrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 11:57 PM
hova09

Yep they won't be sitting in my room thats for sure.. I bought some euro league jerseys and my friend thinks they're not as strong as a "normal" jersey or even a practice jersey, even if they're made of the same stuff (polyester).

Old
02-01-2007, 06:58 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova09 View Post
Yep they won't be sitting in my room thats for sure.. I bought some euro league jerseys and my friend thinks they're not as strong as a "normal" jersey or even a practice jersey, even if they're made of the same stuff (polyester).

Euro jerseys will hold up just fine and are actually lighter (if you got russian ones)

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:25 AM
MikeD

You can expect some rips to develope. Get hoocked in any seem in the board, another players helmet, the net mount ribbons on the goal frame or some such thing, they will get a rip or tear. Easy way to fix is using a light bulb and needle/thread. Put the light bulb inside and then stitch the hole shut pulling the knit back together. Start at the middle of the rip, close it up. About half way to each end repeat, and then starting back at middle work your way to one side, return to middle and finsih the opposite side. Same way you would "darn" a sock.

Where you really want to be careful wearing them is for an outdoors, camping type thing where there is an open fire. Embers stick on contact and melt holes that are near impossible to sew up and hide.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
hova09

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Euro jerseys will hold up just fine and are actually lighter (if you got russian ones)
Yep I got a Afinogenov Dynamo jersey

Old
02-01-2007, 01:46 PM
hova09

Thanks guys, and Mike for the tip.. I think I'll giver a try.. but I'll use the cheapest
jersey

Old
02-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Muttley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_ View Post
id rock him
you beat me to it. Those are the punks in the tinted Oakley visors that always try to put on a show.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:56 PM
VisionQuest*

Please dont wear any replica jerseys unless youre totally comfortable with hearing murmurs and whispers from the opposing bench. Maybe even your own.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 02:57 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
I had to play a game in a Penguins sweater once. I forgot my $10 game sweater in the dryer (yeah yeah, washing gear, I know, it was the first time I'd washed it in like three months). Our colors were black and yellow, so it wasn't a big deal. It held up fine. I looked kinda goofy, though. Didn't have any numbers on it, but I still felt like a superstar out there.

I think you'll be fine, but don't be suprised when your typical wear and tear occurs. If it's a sweater you're not attched too, knock yourself out. And like 35 and 14 said, you'll definitely get some looks.

RangersMoogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I rocked my B's sweater for pickup a few times and it held up fine. However, I found it a tad heavy so I opted to go back to wearing just regular practice/beer league sweaters.

And you probably already know this, but wash the sweater in cold water, then air dry it. It'll keep the patches/logos from getting all wacked out.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
MikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Please dont wear any replica jerseys unless youre totally comfortable with hearing murmurs and whispers from the opposing bench. Maybe even your own.
My god...fashion police on a hockey bench. Is this womens hockey?

Old
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Ive got a Traktor and an Ak-Bars I play in with my name on the back in Russian, love using them.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 07:13 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I only notice people giving murmurs and such when some guy sports a jersey of an NHL players name on the back. Like wearing a Gretzky jersey out there, or someone said, a Crosby.

I never see guys get crap when its just a blank team jersey.

Old
02-01-2007, 08:04 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post

What's your beef with women's hockey?

In any event, I told the guy would he could expect. You don't play much if you think otherwise.

Old
02-03-2007, 07:29 AM
MikeD

no, I play goal so am rarely on the bench to hear any of that nonsense. I find is hillarious that any would make an issue of a guy wearing a replica, full crested or not.

Love womens hockey...its just that it is normally a female that will judge and gossip about anothers attire.

Old
02-03-2007, 08:20 AM
Goalie_Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I only notice people giving murmurs and such when some guy sports a jersey of an NHL players name on the back. Like wearing a Gretzky jersey out there, or someone said, a Crosby.
Besides, if you're out there with a Russian league jersey with the name on the back in Russian, most people (in North America) aren't going to know who's name it is anyway.

Goalie_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:56 AM
VisionQuest*

In net I wear a Russian club jersey. I get a lot of compliments on it from all the Russians I play with.

I think we need to separate a crested replica jersey (no big deal) from those with names and numbers of your favorite pros....thats where you will catch flack on the bench.

Old
02-03-2007, 01:46 PM
hova09

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
In net I wear a Russian club jersey. I get a lot of compliments on it from all the Russians I play with.

I think we need to separate a crested replica jersey (no big deal) from those with names and numbers of your favorite pros....thats where you will catch flack on the bench.
Yeah they probably won't understand it anyways, not like there are that many russians where I live. I guess I'll just wear the afino jersey for floor hockey then, there I could care less what others think

Old
02-03-2007, 04:45 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie_Gal View Post
Besides, if you're out there with a Russian league jersey with the name on the back in Russian, most people (in North America) aren't going to know who's name it is anyway.
True, I have my own name on the back though, which I don't think is bad, its when people sport other players names is where I see a lot of flak given on the bench, I mean its hard not to. You mess up and youre wearing a crosby jersey, chances are someone is gonna be like "nice move Crosby!"

Me personally, I don't really care either way.