HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Slovakia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
01-28-2014, 08:11 AM
martin1983

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by begbeee View Post
Marincin will fight for his spot with Jurcina. Jurcina will start, but after few mistakes/games will be benched and Marincin will take his spot.
I think so..

martin1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:42 AM
begbeee

Any news on Vis? There were rumors about him not being eligiblefor Olympics by GM of Isles, but later SZLH has denied it and they think Vis will be eligible. The truth is probably somewhere between and hidden.
One would think it´s kinda a revenge.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Chara-3

Quote:
Any news on Vis? There were rumors about him not being eligiblefor Olympics by GM of Isles, but later SZLH has denied it and they think Vis will be eligible. The truth is probably somewhere between and hidden.
One would think it´s kinda a revenge.
If he is fit enough to play NHL, Isles have to let him play, whether they like it or not.

Chara-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 08:54 AM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 78
Quote:
Marincin will fight for his spot with Jurcina. Jurcina will start, but after few mistakes/games will be benched and Marincin will take his spot.
Marincin should be in your top-4. Night in, night out he has been the Oilers' best defender. He's been ridiculously good defensively with his 50ft stick. He leads Oilers in Corsi, he leads the whole NHL in Relative Corsi and he's +2 on a team which is -50.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:04 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Marincin should be in your top-4. Night in, night out he has been the Oilers' best defender. He's been ridiculously good defensively with his 50ft stick. He leads Oilers in Corsi, he leads the whole NHL in Relative Corsi and he's +2 on a team which is -50.
I like Marincin. And I love the fact that he's playing lots of minutes in his NHL team. But let's be honest here, he's in the NHL because Oilers defense is atrocious. As it is, he's an NHL rookie with good potential. I don't believe he should be in the top 4 ahead of any of the following -

Chara
Visnovsky
Sekera
Meszaros
Baranka

His performance on big ice is also a big question mark.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbio11 View Post
I like Marincin. And I love the fact that he's playing lots of minutes in his NHL team. But let's be honest here, he's in the NHL because Oilers defense is atrocious. As it is, he's an NHL rookie with good potential. I don't believe he should be in the top 4 ahead of any of the following -

Chara
Visnovsky
Sekera
Meszaros
Baranka

Baranka hasn't been good this season. Frankly, he hasn't been really good for a long time. The same can be said about Meszaros too. Based on merit Marincin looks like a #4 defenceman for this team.

01-28-2014, 09:28 AM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 78
Quote:
I like Marincin. And I love the fact that he's playing lots of minutes in his NHL team. But let's be honest here, he's in the NHL because Oilers defense is atrocious. As it is, he's an NHL rookie with good potential. I don't believe he should be in the top 4 ahead of any of the following
Our defence is probably worst in the NHL but it's still a fact that he plays every night extremely tough minutes (heavy d-zone starts against top-2 lines) and looks like a complete beast every shift. For 15 games we have been expecting that his level of play drops but so far it has been the exact opposite, he looks better and better every game. If he doesn't start in the top-4 in Sochi, I'm sure that he will make his way over there by the end of the tournament.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:17 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Our defence is probably worst in the NHL but it's still a fact that he plays every night extremely tough minutes (heavy d-zone starts against top-2 lines) and looks like a complete beast every shift. For 15 games we have been expecting that his level of play drops but so far it has been the exact opposite, he looks better and better every game. If he doesn't start in the top-4 in Sochi, I'm sure that he will make his way over there by the end of the tournament.
Well you do watch him a lot more than I do, so I just hope you'll prove me wrong

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Fragmuffin

Quote:

The fact that he played on the big ice till he was 18 probably says that he is no stranger to it. I really think the ice size argument gets thrown around a bit too much, and that especially goes for european players who are raised on the big ice.

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 12:24 PM
fishstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1983 View Post
Visnovsky is back! Played against Boston, with TOI 22:08..

Anyone see that game? I was on the way home from Riga. Just curious about his performance...
Didn't see the whole thing but he looked surprisingly good imo. Some defensive lapses but overall ok with some offensive upside the isles missed without him. He even managed to get a +1 in 3-6 loss.

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2014, 10:50 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Chara
Visnovsky
Sekera
Meszaros
Baranka

No doubt the D is bad for the oil and he looks good in comparison. But every game he's played in the Oilers have out chanced the opponent's with him on the ice (15 games in a row). He's been good against top NHL talent, regardless of the bad D

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
detredWINgs

Team Sweden's loss is Slovakia's gain. With the likes of Alfredsson, Franzen, and Zetterberg out for the Red Wings, the rookies Tatar and Jurco are getting some solid ice time that they really seem to be benefitting from.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2014, 09:02 PM
gaborikowns

"As much as Lubo would like to represent his country and participate in the Olympics, our doctors and I are not comfortable with him going to play," Snow said

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...onth-1.6848163

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:31 AM
Ziostilon

^^ the article is from over a week ago

Lubo was on the ice in the last minute trying to tie the game at the Stadium Series game against the Rangers

How can they do that and not allow him to play for Slovakia

Ziostilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:37 AM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Team Sweden's loss is Slovakia's gain. With the likes of Alfredsson, Franzen, and Zetterberg out for the Red Wings, the rookies Tatar and Jurco are getting some solid ice time that they really seem to be benefitting from.
Not saying they will be the same category as Zetterbeg, but they are definetely the next core of Wings´ roster, once Zet & Co. is gone. Both showing they will be probably TOP6 if not 1st liners.

Old
01-31-2014, 12:58 PM
gaborikowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
^^ the article is from over a week ago

Lubo was on the ice in the last minute trying to tie the game at the Stadium Series game against the Rangers

How can they do that and not allow him to play for Slovakia
I agree with you, but have you read anything to suggest otherwise? I dont see any updated information..

gaborikowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 12:27 PM
begbeee

Today's interview with Vujtek on Pravda.sk:
Marincin will be in the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

It looks like kid has his place in the roster rather than on the bench.

Old
02-03-2014, 06:14 PM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

Uhhh....

"Marian Gaborik‘s agent, Ron Salcer, told the Columbus Dispatch on Monday his client was a “long shot” to play at the Winter Olympics due to a broken collarbone, one that’s sidelined Gaborik since mid-December."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-for-olympics/

I assume I should pass on Gaborik in an Olympic hockey pool draft?

JTPoni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 03:20 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPoni23 View Post
Uhhh....

"Marian Gaborik‘s agent, Ron Salcer, told the Columbus Dispatch on Monday his client was a “long shot” to play at the Winter Olympics due to a broken collarbone, one that’s sidelined Gaborik since mid-December."

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-for-olympics/

I assume I should pass on Gaborik in an Olympic hockey pool draft?
Gaborik will miss first 2 games. At least. Maybe he will play only in playoff.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
For the Slovaks, they'll likely be without Marian Gaborik, who practiced with his Columbus Blue Jackets teammates for the first time since breaking his collarbone on Dec. 21. He played only four shifts in that game, his first after missing 17 games with a knee sprain.

On Monday, Gaborik's agent told Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Post-Dispatch that he believes his client is a "long shot" to go to Sochi. “He’s getting close,” Blue Jackets head coach Todd Richards said. “He’s shooting the puck now, which is progress. You can see his shot isn’t where it needs to be, but it’s improving every day."

With Gaborik likely out and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky probably staying home after recently returning from a concussion, the Slovaks will have some decisions to make before their first game against the U.S. on Feb. 13.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 02:33 PM
begbeee

Okey, they are free to play NHL games but not in Sochi. Tell me more about... meh.

Old
02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
armandh01

Quote:

Chara
Visnovsky
Sekera
Meszaros
Baranka

One is not like the rest.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Shanahanigans

I'm an Oilers fan but let's not overhype Marincin. He's been better than expected, yes. However, he has made some rookie mistakes that have resulted in chances and some goals against. With the right partner (Chara) he could do really well in Sochi. And by really well I mean not look completely overmatched by the best players in the world.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2014, 11:24 PM
MessierII

Quote:

Chara
Visnovsky
Sekera
Meszaros
Baranka

He's easily been better than Mez or Baranka. I get that our D sucks probably worst in NHL but that doesn't change the fact he's been the most effective defensemen on the team so far out playing vets like Ference, Petry and Nick Schultz.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2014, 12:17 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

very surprised to not see Satan on this team. I get he is on his last legs, but what a nice sound off it would be to represent your country one last time. And no offense but there isn't a team loaded with superstars here, I think they could have snuck him in for veteran presence alone. still rooting for you guys to upset everyone not named USA!

on a separate note can anyone explain to me what happened with Zdeno Ciger? Why did he disappear from the NHL after a 30 goal 70 point season only to resurface like 5 years later? he was one of my favorite players from the 90's and I never really heard what happened or why he left. heard he is coaching now, good for him. thanks.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote