HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Seattle IV: The Money Will Roll Right In

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

vCash: 500
So Root RSN airs in 5 states. This could be the reach of a potential Seattle NHL team. Root has pretty much limited inventory during the winter

OT

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/a...iday-night-ice

Quote:
KENT, January 8, 2014 — ROOT SPORTS and the Western Hockey League (WHL) announced today the 8-game broadcast schedule that will bring LIVE WHL action into 3.4 million homes across five U.S. states during the 2013-14 WHL Regular Season. This is the fifth year of partnership between WHL and ROOT SPORTS.

Old
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
snovalleyhockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
So Root RSN airs in 5 states. This could be the reach of a potential Seattle NHL team. Root has pretty much limited inventory during the winter

OT

http://www.seattlethunderbirds.com/a...iday-night-ice
And I should also mention (and I know this since I watch satellite TV with a sports pack) that these broadcasts have showed up in the past on both of the other ROOT RSN's, so you folks in Denver and Pittsburgh ought to check your listings as well....

For those unaware, the broadcasts that originate from Canada are sims of the Shaw Cable games, while the ones from U.S. Division rinks are the ones that will be produced by ROOT.

Old
01-09-2014, 01:27 AM
TTOMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutuS View Post
Completely OT... I didn't see it in a thread search but with a thread name of "The Money Will Roll Right In" how has nobody made the connection to Nirvana?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J3uj2wqPPA
I did.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:01 AM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Once again, if there was a late clipper I'm sure many people fro Victoria would go see them, especially military.
The problem with the Clipper is that it caters to day trips to Victoria from Seattle.
Code:
2014 	                             DepSeattle 	ArrVictoria  DepVictori   ArrSeattle
January 1 to March 31* 	8:00 AM 	10:45 AM 	5:00 PM 	7:45PM
There could be a partnership where they change the return to Seattle to be 1:30 earlier to arrive 6:15pm but then that means leaving Victoria 3:30pm and there are probably partnerships on that side that will prevent this.

The other Washington State-Victoria routes (Black Ball ferry out of Port Angeles & Washington State Ferries out of Anacortes) run on a limited schedule and are both about 1.5-2 hour drive from Seattle. When I go to the Island, I go through the BC Ferries since the ferries run more often and it only takes about 30-60 more minutes to get there even though the cost is more.

You never know though, they could run later to accommodate the hockey crowd but then there's the issue of return trip to Victoria that night. They would have to include an extra round trip. I see in the summer they have an extra boat that runs (so there'2 3 round trips in a day). They *could make that boat available for game day traffic. I think that extra vessell service whale watching tours though so logistics of "starting" in Victoria could be an issue. I recall when the Clipper or similar ferry ran between Vancouver and Victoria or Nanaimo that there would often be a 11pm return trip to accommodate games.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Thesensation19

Seattle is a prime spot for the NHL to expand its borders too.

Its America.
Its a huge sports city.
It has hockey history
I forgot what is there currently but they do have hockey teams there. ECHL or WHA. Idk. Either way their attendance is pretty solid.

The location is prime for a new team. And I believe that this part of America is aching for hockey. Isnt its closest franchises all Canadian in that North West location. That or Cali right... What a huge gap especially for such a bordering state to Canada

I am sure they will implement Green and Blue. Colors dying to be brought back to the NHL.

Old
01-09-2014, 11:30 AM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
Seattle is a prime spot for the NHL to expand its borders too.

Its America.
Its a huge sports city.
It has hockey history
I forgot what is there currently but they do have hockey teams there. ECHL or WHA. Idk. Either way their attendance is pretty solid.

The location is prime for a new team. And I believe that this part of America is aching for hockey. Isnt its closest franchises all Canadian in that North West location. That or Cali right... What a huge gap especially for such a bordering state to Canada

I am sure they will implement Green and Blue. Colors dying to be brought back to the NHL.
There are 2 WHL teams in the metro area. Seattle Thunderbirds are based about 20 miles south of the city. Everett Silvertips are based about 25 miles north of the city. There are 3 other US WHL teams, 2 in eastern Washington but a 4-5 hour drive away and 1 in Portland, OR which is about 3 hour drive.

The closest NHL teams to Seattle are: (driving miles)
Vancouver - 141 miles
Calgary - 728 miles
Edmonton - 792 miles
San Jose - 839 miles

Old
01-09-2014, 01:34 PM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
There are 2 WHL teams in the metro area. Seattle Thunderbirds are based about 20 miles south of the city. Everett Silvertips are based about 25 miles north of the city. There are 3 other US WHL teams, 2 in eastern Washington but a 4-5 hour drive away and 1 in Portland, OR which is about 3 hour drive.

The closest NHL teams to Seattle are: (driving miles)
Vancouver - 141 miles
Calgary - 728 miles
Edmonton - 792 miles
San Jose - 839 miles
As mentioned earlier, I know tons of people from both Edmonton & Calgary that will fly down on weekends to catch a Seahawks game and whoever the Seattle NHL team play. There are a TON of Seahawks fans in Alberta and lots that make the trips down to games. It will create instant rivalries for the Alberta based hockey teams and obviously the Canucks.

Old
01-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
As mentioned earlier, I know tons of people from both Edmonton & Calgary that will fly down on weekends to catch a Seahawks game and whoever the Seattle NHL team play. There are a TON of Seahawks fans in Alberta and lots that make the trips down to games. It will create instant rivalries for the Alberta based hockey teams and obviously the Canucks.
True...

California teams will also draw travelers up to see games. A good chunk of Portland and Seattle growth has been from people leaving California and selling their home when it was high.

Old
01-10-2014, 03:52 PM
UtherGardener

Oregon (Portland) has a way of growing on you if you are from out of state and your truck break down. The Columbia Cup aka the Cascadia Cup for hockey would add a great deal on intensity to the western conference. The Timbers have proven that Portland is (maybe never was) a one horse town just that three things worked against it. 1) Losing the Rosebuds, Vaughn Street Stadium and The narrow defeat of the Delta (Park) Dome 2) lead that old generation to believe that PDX couldn't handle more than the Blazers 3) Paul Allen blocking every attempt to bring in one till Merritt Paulson defied him.

I feel it was the tv deal the NHL got that truly caught Mr. Allen's eye and the passion of the team in green that help break the myth.

Old
01-10-2014, 04:04 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtherGardener View Post
I feel it was the tv deal the NHL got that truly caught Mr. Allen's eye and the passion of the team in green that help break the myth.
Perhaps so, though it was rumored he was seriously interested in the Coyotes enough for it to be reported by a creditable source just last spring & well before the new broadcast deals had been inked. He's also got some former NHL club executives working for him with the RoseGarden & so on. They too obviously NHL friendly & conversant with the in's & outs' of ownership & operations. Some here dont believe Portland to be a viable NHL market but I beg to differ. Demographics are excellent.

... and Welcome to hf in case no ones offered as much Uther.

Old
01-10-2014, 04:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Does a team in Seattle Help or Hurt Portland. I guess the question can go vice versa as well.

Old
01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Quote:
Does a team in Seattle Help or Hurt Portland. I guess the question can go vice versa as well.
I don't think it really impacts it one way or the other, or at most success in Seattle might make Paul Allen even more interested in having a team. It's really all up to him if Portland gets a team regardless of the situation in Seattle.

They're independent enough that I don't think you can say much beyond that, though a threeway Pacific NW rivalry between Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver would have to be viewed as a good thing for all parties potentially involved.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
Old
01-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Djp

Quote:
They are separate....The NHL will probably first want just one team there and then a few years later see about another team.

Seattle area has more $$$ and more corporate sponsership money.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
UtherGardener

They are separate yet linked hopefully the NHL will be more open minded and patient than the nba was with Cascadia. nba jobbed both vancouver and seattle.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:09 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Sonicsgate ‏@Sonicsgate 9m

Announcing some news in 15 mins... Media members, check your inboxes #2014isBig #Sonicsgate

Could be anything

Old
01-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!

Here it is

Quote:
Chris Daniels‏@ChrisDaniels5
.@Sonicsgate announces it has licensed rights to @ESPN, which will air the film nationally on ESPN Classic on February 7th at 6pm Pacific.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 5113
Good for them, though mildly surprised that a network as buddy/buddy with the NBA as them would go out of their way to acquire broadcast rights to a documentary that unabashedly critical of the NBA.

Old
01-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
A Jelly Donut!?!

Nah, it's a feel good vibe because the NBA is about to "right a wrong". So of course ESPN wants in on it

Old
01-13-2014, 03:27 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
The problem with the Clipper is that it caters to day trips to Victoria from Seattle.
Code:
2014 	                             DepSeattle 	ArrVictoria  DepVictori   ArrSeattle
January 1 to March 31* 	8:00 AM 	10:45 AM 	5:00 PM 	7:45PM
There could be a partnership where they change the return to Seattle to be 1:30 earlier to arrive 6:15pm but then that means leaving Victoria 3:30pm and there are probably partnerships on that side that will prevent this.

The other Washington State-Victoria routes (Black Ball ferry out of Port Angeles & Washington State Ferries out of Anacortes) run on a limited schedule and are both about 1.5-2 hour drive from Seattle. When I go to the Island, I go through the BC Ferries since the ferries run more often and it only takes about 30-60 more minutes to get there even though the cost is more.

You never know though, they could run later to accommodate the hockey crowd but then there's the issue of return trip to Victoria that night. They would have to include an extra round trip. I see in the summer they have an extra boat that runs (so there'2 3 round trips in a day). They *could make that boat available for game day traffic. I think that extra vessell service whale watching tours though so logistics of "starting" in Victoria could be an issue. I recall when the Clipper or similar ferry ran between Vancouver and Victoria or Nanaimo that there would often be a 11pm return trip to accommodate games.
The statement I'm about to make works both ways, which is to say that Seattle AND Victoria interests both think the following way:

"Why should I just cater to hockey fans when I can squeeze more money out of tourists by pretty much forcing them to stay the night?"

Politically, your wish is nobody's command.

Old
01-13-2014, 03:44 PM
Brodie
pretty on fleek

Quote:
a bit like asking if having a team in Denver impacts Salt Lake or if having a team in Detroit impacts Cleveland... not really, no.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSPounder View Post
The statement I'm about to make works both ways, which is to say that Seattle AND Victoria interests both think the following way:

"Why should I just cater to hockey fans when I can squeeze more money out of tourists by pretty much forcing them to stay the night?"

Politically, your wish is nobody's command.
You maybe able to squeeze more money out of tourists but you also lose a an additional run that could make substantial amounts of money.

Old
01-13-2014, 05:48 PM
PCSPounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
a bit like asking if having a team in Denver impacts Salt Lake or if having a team in Detroit impacts Cleveland... not really, no.
I wish that were 100% true.

The Mariners once propped up a long-standing claim from 10% to 30%... of attendees they said came from the Portland area. That happened when Portland was taking a flailing shot at getting the Expos. Moreover, as the Mariners own Root Sports, and Oregon is well within their "territory" TV-wise, do you think they'll be happy to give that up?

If Seattle moves first, and the NHL team attaches to Root, that becomes a powerful disincentive for the league to take Portland.

True, NOT nearly as powerful as with baseball. I believe MLB is much more conscious of the local TV market issue than the NHL. It's also possible that Root on NHL incentivizes Paul Allen to match with Comcast NW, but the Blazers already flopped on one TV channel and I often wonder if that Comcast channel is sustainable.

Also, the local Mariners contract exceeded the entire national MLS contract before the Mariners bought Root, so let's not start talking up the situation with the Timbers and Flounders. MLS will be happy to double their take per the latest rumors, and that will ALMOST match the annual pay of the last Mariners contract.

EDIT- Apparently the new MLS English language contracts WOULD surpass the last Mariners/Root contract. Still, the Root deal isn't small.

Last edited by PCSPounder: 01-14-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old
01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Murat ‏@WPGMurat 1h

He commented that Toronto/area could probably hold 2 more teams, that Quebec would be great, but neither are top priority for NHL.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Murat ‏@WPGMurat 1h

Chipman also answers my question re: location. His best guess is NHL's next step is Seattle, either through relocation or expansion.

Old
01-30-2014, 01:58 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Mark Chipman, Chairman/owner of Winnipeg Jets, also sits on Board of Governors.

Old
01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Murat ‏@WPGMurat 1h

He commented that Toronto/area could probably hold 2 more teams, that Quebec would be great, but neither are top priority for NHL.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Murat ‏@WPGMurat 1h

Chipman also answers my question re: location. His best guess is NHL's next step is Seattle, either through relocation or expansion.
Well that's pretty consistent to Bob McKenzie's arcticle a couple of months ago with the order of prefernce 1. Seattle 2. Vegas and if they add 3 possibly Quebec.

Neat that that Chipman (or someone on his PR team) replied

Closed Thread