HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT February 3: Rangers at Tampa Bay, 7:30p MSG2

Old
02-03-2007, 10:41 PM
st bonnies*

vCash: 500
there has to come a time when you win on the ice. all this officiating stuff is getting out of hand. Shanny started this and now its blowing up. These Officials are a team and they do not like getting embarased in the press. Shanny should of known better. Fact is the Rangers do not score goals anymore and last year it seemed they scored all the time

Jagr is not the same player because of the shoulder, age or whatever and it is obvious that Shanny has not delivered like he did in the first half.

Can't keep blaming refs.

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
You just can't rough anyone up. Unless the player being roughed up is Jagr.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Inferno
HFB Partner

my post game comments straight from my blog:

Quote:
We got screwed....again. Sorry, I dont care what any of you say, the refs took this game into their hands and decided it. Period. End of post game thoughts.

Lets look at the bigger picture though. With 52 games played, the Rangers have earned 54 points, projecting out to 82 games that gives them about 85 points. Assuming Carolina wins tonight (they are playing Boston...they definitely should win that) that ties them up with Pittsburgh, and Tampa for 8th in the league with 60 points. Lets use Pittsburgh as kind of a worst case scenario. 51 Games, 60 points, for 82 games that finishes their season with just about 96 points. Meaning the Rangers would have to, hypothetically, finish the season with 97 points to beat them. On a best case scenario, we will take the Canes. (still winning tonight, which wont be final for another hour) Using the same math, since the Canes have played more games, they will project out to about 90 points, meaning the Rangers would need to finish with 91 points to overtake them. or about 6 points more than they are currently projected to finish with.

So on a best case scenario they need to finish with 91 points, and on a theoretical worst case, it is 97 points, and they are currently projected out to 85. Meaning they need to finish anywhere from 6 to 12 points MORE than they are projected out to. What does that mean? Well, with 30 games remaining and 54 points in the bank, they need 43 more points on the high end, and 37 more on the low end.

Last season it took 92 points to get in the playoffs, so we can use that as further proof that this is for all intents and purposes a correct assumption.

Lets look at this one step further, the best team in the league right now is the Nashville Predators, who are averaging 1.415 points per game up to this point. For the Rangers to finish with 92 points they will need to play at a 1.233 points per game clip on the LOW end, and 1.4333 points per game on the high end. That means they have to play BETTER than that BEST team in the league for the remaining games just to sneak into the playoffs (on the high end) or, BETTER than the southeast leading Thrashers on the LOW end.

Simply put, I dont think it can be done. I think the season is just about over folks. Barring a miracle, I simply don't think the Rangers can get 6 to 7 points every 5 games for the remainder of the season, I just don't see it happening.

-Inferno

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
ThisYearsModel

Jagr looked either completely spent or disinterested. Lundqvist faced far too many difficult chances. This team neds a heart transplant. The one they have is far too small.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Fletch

Tbbb...

it's pretty much what everybody complained about regarding the Devils, Panthers and others in the 90s. Those small little plays away from the puck that slow down the forwards. It's not about taking away the physical element, but about speeding up the game. I can't complain too much about that call.

jas...I've been hoping for a shot in the arm for a looong time now. But of course, this 'shot' would be in the form of 5 minutes of ice time with Hollweg and Krog or someone and would have minimal effect. We heard about these changes post-All Star Break, but we see two defensemen getting about 12 minutes of ice time, one of which wouldn't even be here if there wasn't an injury, and the other, likely a similar story (although he did fill-in for Pock).

Renney does not know what to do if Jagr isn't the best in the world and Lundvist doesn't stand on his head - period! It's frustrating to no end seeing this guy at the helm.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:47 PM
blueliner94

I'm sorry but if you have to count on they Refs making or breaking a game then you should be the the spot the rangers are in. Yea it pisses me off but come on the refs are the very.. very. last thing this team should blame on a loss. I still think a great team like Buff could get calls like the Rangers do and still be where they are

blueliner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:47 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Jagr looked either completely spent or disinterested. Lundqvist faced far too many difficult chances. This team neds a heart transplant. The one they have is far too small.
I honestly wish renney could just bench jagr for a month with the way he's been playing (compared to the expectations he has to produce)

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Renney should be fired...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:50 PM
In The Flesh

the only other way, is if the rangers play steady, slowy start getting pts., and the teams in front of them start to fall. The likelyness of that happened is slim, but its still a chance.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:52 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
Prucha draws a penalty with less than 2 minutes left
Another blind call

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Fletch

blueliner...

bottom line is the Lightning came out taking the game to the Rangers before the ref took the game into their own hands. And we're talking about a couple calls. They had ample time to kill penalties (their percentage of killing penalties was poor tonight), and they had PP chances of their own, and didnn't generate enough at even strength. They weren't asked to kill an inordinate amount of penalties and were outshot 41-26 - far beyond what one would blame the refs, for what seemed to be about 1/2 questionable calle (one that was beyond question though). Still need to play better.

Old
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
What was the call on Shanahan that Joe was going on about for a while? I was watching a real hockey game (Devils VS Buffalo) and I missed nearly the whole game.
Don't blame ya. I got tix to the Devs but stayed home to watch this and gave my tix off to friends...

Old
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirts4me View Post
Can I get a Fire Renney chant going?

Lets put our idiot cap on. Hmm...the team isn't scoring, so we put our leading goal scorer with players with a combined 8 points, and our second leading goal scorer from last year and youngest forward with most potential with two guys with hands of stone.
Let's do it. I'll be there. For all others too....if losing....

FIRE RENNEY MONDAY NIGHT

Old
In The Flesh

I'm just sick of picking other teams to root for in the playoffs, and not the rangers, cause they're never there, one exception, last season, and it didn't last long.

the upside to not making the playoffs, Sather gets another year added to his tenure here without a playoff win.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
my post game comments straight from my blog:
There was a post in the Business of hockey section and on Ro's site about Bettman and how he has killed this game. Joe M was dead on tonight about the phantom calls. The game is void of passion. The devil/flyer game the other night was very entertaining, not for all the goals, but the physical play. Pond hockey is fun, for a while, anybody that is a real fan and knows the game has to be cringing everytime they watch this crap. Hooking is not just placing your stick on a horizonal plane, you must tug to hook.

Tonight was a classic example of the ref 100+ feet away calling penalties when the ref 10 feet away says play on!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:54 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
the only other way, is if the rangers play steady, slowy start getting pts., and the teams in front of them start to fall. The likelyness of that happened is slim, but its still a chance.
A very miniscule chance indeed. Like Inferno posted earlier, this team's playoff aspirations look to already be out of our own destiny. Not only do we need to do the improbable, win games, but we also need other teams to falter. Not likely.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
::Looks at schedule::

Ok so Det, NJ next 2...so I assume you mean we'll start that winning streak after the 4 game losing streak?

edit - nope NM..NJ again after that.
The Wings are playing well but are definitley beatable. Did you miss the previous game vs NJ?

Old
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner94 View Post
I'm sorry but if you have to count on they Refs making or breaking a game then you should be the the spot the rangers are in. Yea it pisses me off but come on the refs are the very.. very. last thing this team should blame on a loss. I still think a great team like Buff could get calls like the Rangers do and still be where they are
It's funny, cause everyone always says that now. After seeing some of these calls the past few days the refs ARE to blame. Why? Because they constantly screw up any momentum the Rangers have and make the players needlessly pissed off and frustrated. Guess what that does, it leads us to play like ****. We should have had a nice 5-3 today but no, the refs thought otherwise and we got screwed.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Agreed. I had never seen Joe go off like that..even Sam doesn't usually blame the refs too much if there is a highly questionable call.

I'm glad to see Joe point out what a joke this has become. I don't care if people think it's whining, when a team is consistently screwed over by the officiating like this has become, it deserves to be known to everyone. Granted we aren't doing ourselves favors by the way the team has been playing lately - we probably would have lost tonight even if the officiating was decent, or at least not pathetic - but this is just a disgrace.
Well I'm not even sure if it's just us. In general...just let the guys play. Fighting for a playoff spot....battling in corners....fighting for position in front...it's ridiculous. They don't even let them fight anymore...almost every fight has an instigator which is also ridiculous. Good to still see players stick up for each other though....please Gary....let the players play hockey. As Al said...there should be nothing passive about hockey

Old
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
AXN

How many stupid penalties can you take? This team does not want to win.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's pretty much what everybody complained about regarding the Devils, Panthers and others in the 90s. Those small little plays away from the puck that slow down the forwards. It's not about taking away the physical element, but about speeding up the game. I can't complain too much about that call.

jas...I've been hoping for a shot in the arm for a looong time now. But of course, this 'shot' would be in the form of 5 minutes of ice time with Hollweg and Krog or someone and would have minimal effect. We heard about these changes post-All Star Break, but we see two defensemen getting about 12 minutes of ice time, one of which wouldn't even be here if there wasn't an injury, and the other, likely a similar story (although he did fill-in for Pock).

Renney does not know what to do if Jagr isn't the best in the world and Lundvist doesn't stand on his head - period! It's frustrating to no end seeing this guy at the helm.
Listen man...if Cullen threw a big, hard, or even straight up check on the guy...then I'm with you. He BUMPED him! That's what it is now. You can't make contact...it is unbelievable! Hockey is a contact sport...guys are allowed to exchange punches to the face....but they can't bump in corners and in front of net?

Old
02-03-2007, 11:01 PM
savemypoorbrain

Send a message via AIM to savemypoorbrain
Quote:
Let's take a poll who gets ****ed more, the Jets or the Rangers.
-My Drunken friend Mike

savemypoorbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:03 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I didn't get a chance to watch the game yet, but I will. Sounds like we're a team in need of a facelift, coaching and player wise.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Fletch...let's be honest, there are two things I can almost guarantee you - 1) Renney's NOT getting fired. He's considered a valuable member of this braintrust. Maybe, in the off-season, we could see Renney and Schoenfeld switch places. But, for now, Renney, almost certainly, is going nowhere. 2) The Rangers have no intention of dealing any of the big four. They've got Jagr and Straka under contract, while they are currently negotiating with both Nylander and Shanahan.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Fletch

I hear you, TBBB...

but it is exactly what the trapping teams did in the 90s that ruined the game. It was way too obvious. The puck was moved. He cae in and obviously impeded St. Louis' path to the puck. Under the rules, that has to be called, and is call, pretty consistently. It's a bit different than if he hits him when he has the puck and then holds for a second, or roughs for a second. The puck had clearly been moved and Cullen moved in. When you provide a pick, which often you barely touch a guy, that's often called too. I can't complain about the Cullen call. The Shanny call...that's in a different league.