HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The offensive misery

Old
02-03-2007, 09:35 PM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
The offensive misery

It's just numbing sometimes, but only Chicago and Columbus have a lower total for their leading goal scorer (16 and 14 to our 17). However, if Havlat had not been injured he'd have around 30. We're one of just a half dozen or so teams without a 20 goal scorer. In terms of pt. leading totals, ours (saku's pidly 43 puts him on pace for 68-which would be just below his career high) is only better than Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas (blame injuries, otherwise Ribs would not be 2nd in team scoring) and Philly. How pathetic is that!? In terms of goals, I believe we're middle of the pack as we're averaging 2.94 a game, roughly the same as last season. I mean, only Souray, Koivu and Higgins (not at his rate right now!) and Ryder (still) are on pace for 20.

In a perfect world, Kovalev, Samsonov and maybe Lats as a by-product would all be on pace for that too. But no, those aformentioned vets continue to underacheive. So yes, despite the changes the offense has not improved much although considering GPG league-wide is down, it has been a marginal improvement which can be credited to the special teams and all those goals scored short handed. I am hoping an explosion from mid-Feb. happens again but I expected the struggles to continue until then a month ago, so maybe I was on to something. Needless to say, tomorrow is scaring me just to think about. We scord 6 on Pittsburgh last visit and 4 two days ago so we know we can score on their worthless D. But it's likely gonna take 6 to beat them with the way our team D is going.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I don't see how calling Kosty and Grabo will hurt us. They keep lighting it up with the Dogs, know it's a different level, but it's worth a try, and putting them together on the same line.

I mean, we're missing some offensive power, those 2 are the closest "fire power" we get within the org. that haven't been tried, at least not together.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:11 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I don't see how calling Kosty and Grabo will hurt us. They keep lighting it up with the Dogs, know it's a different level, but it's worth a try, and putting them together on the same line.

I mean, we're missing some offensive power, those 2 are the closest "fire power" we get within the org. that haven't been tried, at least not together.
I would love to see them both up, look how many opportunities Grabs got when he was up and how exciting he was. I would like to see Ryder sit in the press box for a couple of games and see what Kosty could do. Kosty has more dimensions to his game than Ryder does.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:50 PM
Teufelsdreck

I think a turning point in the season for the Habs--and I mean the start of a downturn--was the ankle injury to Higgins. Before that, he was the main offensive threat. He doesn't appear to have the same spark. An ankle injury is a bad thing to happen to a hockey player, especially one who relies on his superior skating. For a time Latendresse did a good job filling in and scored a number of key goals but now Lats can't net any. What remains of the Habs offense seems to be coming from the Bonk line and Streit. Even Plekanec has had a couple of nonproductive games in February. What's more, the secondary scoring that was coming from Rivet and Komisarek has dried up. Too bad Perezhogin hasn't come to life. The Habs could use something from him

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote