HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Anyone have Scotty Bowman's number?

Old
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

vCash: 500
Anyone have Scotty Bowman's number?

Ok, we all know Scotty is retired. Who else is out there? Patty Quinn? Iron Mike?

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Barry Melrose?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
FLYLine24*

Jon? Fletch? SoS? DG? etc

Anyone here could do a better job.

We need a coach that knows how to motivate a team. The team hasn't come out with fire since last year.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
hlundqvist30*

Ron Low

Seriously though. Mike Keenan would light a fire under these guys' ass.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 577
shanny?

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I'll do it.... I didn't want to, but I guess I have no choice

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:05 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Mess?

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
mrhockey193195

I honestly wish JD would coach this team.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
I honestly wish JD would coach this team.
al trautwig assistant coach

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:57 PM
snowcloud

Shanny should be player/coach.

snowcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Edge

Changing coaches will have an impact, but I don't think it'll have the impact some believe.

At the end of the day the team still has to prove it can develop more talent from within and build an actual team.

You could put Jesus Christ behind the bench and it doesn't change the fact that we currently have Jason freakin Krong playing as our second line center.

The answer to the center problem is not in this organization.

It's not Cullen or Krog and it's not Immonen or Dubinsky.

It doesn't change a mediocre bunch of defenseman or no less than 6 bottom line forwards who can't be counted on to chip in even a point per a game between the lot of them.

The problems here are beyond the coach, they are the same as they've been for 10 years. It's all in the organizational approach.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 11:06 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcloud View Post
Shanny should be player/coach.
I wonder if that has ever happened? Crazier things have taken place:

Patrick is famous for an incident which occurred during the Stanley Cup finals of 1928. At the age of 44, while serving as coach and general manager of the Rangers, Patrick inserted himself into a playoff game to play goal against the Montreal Maroons due to an eye injury to starting goaltender Lorne Chabot. Patrick allowed one goal in helping the Rangers to an overtime victory. The Rangers went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Old
02-03-2007, 11:09 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Changing coaches will have an impact, but I don't think it'll have the impact some believe.

At the end of the day the team still has to prove it can develop more talent from within and build an actual team.

You could put Jesus Christ behind the bench and it doesn't change the fact that we currently have Jason freakin Krong playing as our second line center.

The answer to the center problem is not in this organization.

It's not Cullen or Krog and it's not Immonen or Dubinsky.

It doesn't change a mediocre bunch of defenseman or no less than 6 bottom line forwards who can't be counted on to chip in even a point per a game between the lot of them.

The problems here are beyond the coach, they are the same as they've been for 10 years. It's all in the organizational approach.
Probably the most concise answer I've read regarding the problems this team/organization face. That's why I can laugh it off (to some degree) & just say "Meh, what do you expect? It's the Rangers..."

Old
02-03-2007, 11:19 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Though one could argue that he would annoit someone better than Krog to be the 2nd line center.
Quote:
I agree and disagree. The approach of the organization as a whole has been fairly poor. However, that was not what was preventing Renney from playing Betts or Hossa on the 4th line. Or benching Malik. Or trying some new strategy on a 5 on 3 PP. Or actually utilizing the last line change at home.

Yes, the approach has sucked, but Renney has made too many questionable decisions. And given his approach, and the fact that he has to leave the room before the final decision is made, I don't know just how much he wants to change the approach, given that the young players seem to only get a chance out of necessity.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Edge

Quote:
Though one could argue that he would annoit someone better than Krog to be the 2nd line center.
Well they say the man turned water into wine, turning crap into gold might be another matter.

Personally I think all the options suck. Krog or Immonen, I mean it's painful for me to say that even Krog has looked better than Immonen did.

Quote:
I agree and disagree. The approach of the organization as a whole has been fairly poor. However, that was not what was preventing Renney from playing Betts or Hossa on the 4th line. Or benching Malik. Or trying some new strategy on a 5 on 3 PP. Or actually utilizing the last line change at home.
I think the bigger problem is that the team has too many damn 4th liners. I mean Hossa, Hollweg, Betts, Ward, Hall, Ortmeyer, etc. are all 4th line players.

To me the biggest problem right now continues to be scoring depth. Switching Malik for Pock or some other marginal defenseman doesn't change anything just like having a lineup with Pock, Lampman and Girardi didn't result in anything different.

Quote:
Yes, the approach has sucked, but Renney has made too many questionable decisions. And given his approach, and the fact that he has to leave the room before the final decision is made, I don't know just how much he wants to change the approach, given that the young players seem to only get a chance out of necessity.
We just disagree on the young players aspect.

I think Renney has made a lot of questionable decisions, but tonight's game, with different more HF-friendly names, looked like a lot of other games Renney has coached.

I think Girardi is getting his chance and making the most of it and was accordingly rewarded with PK time as well.

At the end of the day though switching Malik for Pock or Krog for Immonen does not change anything. It might make us feel a little better, it might look a little nicer but even the best coach is only going to make so much of a difference with WHO is currently on this team and the way it is built.

A very good coach, maybe has us slip into the 6th seed if everything falls right. Renney isn't a good coach so we accordingly sit out of the playoffs, but I really don't think even a great coach makes more than a pretty minor impact with this set of players.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I vote for Nicky Fotiu

He will teach them pride inwearing the Ranger sweater.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:33 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

how about slats behind the bench?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:45 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by graveyardshift View Post
how about slats behind the bench?
weve been there before and it did not help, i doubt a 2ed try would help.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:01 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

We need a coach that knows how to motivate a team. The team hasn't come out with fire since last year.
a trained monkey?

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:03 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
Ok, we all know Scotty is retired. Who else is out there? Patty Quinn? Iron Mike?
1-800-we are ****ed might be it

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 05:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Scotty Bowman doesn't have the sack to coach the Rangers.Scotty loves walking into the perfect situation.The only time Scotty failed was in Buffalo when they didn't already have one mega star after another on the roster.Scotty was also the GM in Buffalo and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.In 1989,Scotty was offered the Rangers GM job but he didn't feel he could succeed in New York.Made 10 million excuses about why he turned down the job.Montreal,Pittsburgh and Detroit were good teams before Scotty took them over

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:37 AM
True Blue

Quote:
I think the bigger problem is that the team has too many damn 4th liners. I mean Hossa, Hollweg, Betts, Ward, Hall, Ortmeyer, etc. are all 4th line players.
That is definetly a problem and has been. One cannot consider themselves serious playoff contenders when every line, aside from the 1st, has at least 2 4th liners (or worse in the case of Orr or Krog) on it. Can't win many games when the 2/3rds of the forwards are 4th line players.
Quote:
We just disagree on the young players aspect.
On what aspect, Edge? My point is that Renney has zero confidence in any young player. The rope he gives them is an eighth of the length that one of these 4th liners that we have mentioned get. And who knows what kind of a standard someone like Malik may have.

I agree that having Pock, Girardi & Lampman in the lineup did not seem to make much of a difference last night. However, unlike Malik, these players have the potential to improve and get better. Malik is who he is at this point. So if in the short-term, the level of overall play stays the same, wouldn't it be better to continue to give the youngsters ice time becuase, unlike Malik, they WILL improve in the longer-term?

On the bright side, pretty soon we'll be able to resume our David Wright debate.

Last edited by True Blue: 02-04-2007 at 07:51 AM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:46 AM
free0717

I know that Renney doesnt like Jarko, but as I see it, he is our best option for 2nd line center. I dont care if Shanahan doesnt like playing with him or Renney doesnt think he has NHL quickness.

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

don't really think fire is so much the biggest problem.. his personel decisions have been terrible

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:52 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

How about Jim Schoenfeld?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote