HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

officiating

Old
02-04-2007, 11:53 AM
captjojo

vCash: 500
officiating

last night's game leave doubt in anyone's mind that the officials in this league are an oldboys club allowed to write the script for any game?

captjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 11:59 AM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
You guys got screwed on Shanny's hooking call.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:01 PM
captjojo

half of the game seemed to be blatant retaliation on the part of the officials, something that has gone on for years in this league and should not be tolerated.

captjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Tampa got bad calls also, the high stick call was brutal especially towards the end of the game.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
coolbean04

Listen, I'm getting tired of hearing this EVERY SINGLE GAME. Do we get screwed with officiating sometimes? Yea, I think every team does.

With the way the team has been playing the past 1 1/2 months, you don't look back at bad luck, officiating, and etc. Our team flat out stinks more and more as the season goes along.

A big part of it was the false hope of last year. Maybe this shows that the team did in fact overachieve last year. The problem now is that we're sidetracking from our youth development and now we're trying to bring in veteran players (again) and not letting the kids play to try to run after the cup.

I'm starting to think that last year's success is hurting us A LOT more then help.

Oh yea, stop complaining every game about officials.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:36 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
This team has zero discipline. Shanahan's been taking these stupid interference/hooking penalties all year long right off faceoffs. On top of that we lose on a power play goal which came off a too many men on the ice penalty. How you could honestly say the referees cost us this game is beyond me. Yes the officiating has been horrible, but at the same time we've gotten our share of calls that are very questionable as well.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:40 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Listen, I'm getting tired of hearing this EVERY SINGLE GAME. Do we get screwed with officiating sometimes? Yea, I think every team does.

With the way the team has been playing the past 1 1/2 months, you don't look back at bad luck, officiating, and etc. Our team flat out stinks more and more as the season goes along.

A big part of it was the false hope of last year. Maybe this shows that the team did in fact overachieve last year. The problem now is that we're sidetracking from our youth development and now we're trying to bring in veteran players (again) and not letting the kids play to try to run after the cup.

I'm starting to think that last year's success is hurting us A LOT more then help.

Exactly what veterans are we trying to bring in?? With the recent demotion of Kasper, and Lampman being recalled, more youth is getting in the lineup. I think they are starting to finally play some youth with kids like girardi, and pock getting playing time..... They are not sidetracking from there youth development....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Big Apple...

Renney's hand was forced... We would never have seen these kids if Ozo and Kaspar didn't have their collapses and Malik & Rozsival weren't injured...

Tommy Pock would be right back up in that press box if the abovementioned didn't transpire...

Plus guys like Girardi & Lampman & Pock are really not going to be the future blueliners that we're waiting for....

In a more realistic sense, there's really not too much to be excited about with regards to these 3 getting playing time....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:46 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerSteve View Post
This team has zero discipline. Shanahan's been taking these stupid interference/hooking penalties all year long right off faceoffs. On top of that we lose on a power play goal which came off a too many men on the ice penalty. How you could honestly say the referees cost us this game is beyond me. Yes the officiating has been horrible, but at the same time we've gotten our share of calls that are very questionable as well.
I totally agree, it looks like the team just doesn't care about winning at times and rather take stupid penalties. Very poor discipline on this team.

Old
02-04-2007, 12:49 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Exactly what veterans are we trying to bring in?? With the recent demotion of Kasper, and Lampman being recalled, more youth is getting in the lineup. I think they are starting to finally play some youth with kids like girardi, and pock getting playing time..... They are not sidetracking from there youth development....
You got people talking about Forsberg, Rucchin, and etc. Then like last week there was mention of two centers on a team but I forgot who.

You know what's funny, everyone keeps talking about upgrading the 2nd line center position. I haven't read ONE where we should go after a defender when that's what we're truly lacking.

Old
02-04-2007, 12:50 PM
bubba5

Quote:
I totally agree, it looks like the team just doesn't care about winning at times and rather take stupid penalties. Very poor discipline on this team.
Only teams that suck complain of officiating, play the game and score some goals. The Devils had a goal that was ruled no goal, they wouldn't even review it, and they still came back and beat buffalo!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

As far as the so called lack of disipline goes, I agree and disagree. Certain times I believe that they are guilty of trying to hard and taking those face-off "hooks" or interferance calls. Are they still penalties absolutly but they arent lazy penalties rather they are penalties that come from being put in a situation where you have to battle back every freaking game. That is the real problem IMO, the lack of production and holding a lead, when they are constantly behind the 8 ball and pressing for a goal, thats when they get into trouble. Without a doubt though they are penalty's and should be called as such, I just think that there is a slight diffrence, I dont know I could be way off.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:06 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
You know what, I think the team needs to ****ing play a damn game before I start blaming officials. I WILL blame them when they call bad stuff in a game we are actually TRYING in like the Toronto game.

But when they play as lazy and sloppy as they do like they did in the small amounts I saw of last nights game, than they don't DESERVE to get the calls on their side.

I complain as much as everyone does when we're playing hard and we get shafted, but last night's effort, from what I saw, deserved the calls that came towards them. I DID finally see the Shanny call, which was downright pathetic and completely retaliatory, IMO, but most of the other stuff was legit and came to us because our team plays a lazy, undiciplined game. Call me when we actually give an effort and get shafted, because until then it's pointless to complain about reffing.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:17 PM
SML

Blaming the officials is weak.

This is the "new" NHL. Each team is going to have 2-3 calls on them a night that wouldn't have been called 5 years ago. Get over it. The only solution is to play a disciplined game. The Devils do it. They some how manage to play a game that we've all labeled "clutch and grab" without ever going to the box. It's not Magic... It's good positional play. It's good coaching with some discernable resemblance of a system away from the puck, and counterattacking off the turnovers. I hate the Devils as much as anybody, but if they can do it, then it can be done. We have to stop letting this team off the hook by putting the refs on it. They have a job, which is to call penalties when PLAYERS COMMITT INFRACTIONS. Our players have a job, which they should be able to do without taking stupid penalties.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

what I dont get is people willing to accept mediocrity from the refs and NOT use them as a valid reason why we lost. Sorry, when the officiating is horrible, im going to call it horrible, no matter who gets the better calls, and if it is a factor in who wins (As it was last night) i m going to do just that. If you think the refs called a fair game, then so be it, thats your opinion, you are entitled to it. if you DONT think they called a good game, then keeping quiet about it because its become the norm only further proves how horrible the reffing has become.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:32 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:

I also think that we let go key components of our last years team...
Players we should have kept:
Dom Moore
Martin Rucinsky
Petr Sykora
The Latter two not only kept Jagr happy but gave us a potent 2nd line scoring
-we did not need Shanny or Cullen
We should have either kept Rucchin or signed an Arnott type

This left us with weaker 3rd/4th lines (No Moore)
Weaker PK (No Moore)
No Secondary Scoring (No Rucchin, Sykora, Rucinsky)
No Centre depth (I'm sorry but Cullen did not replace Rucchin adequately)

Basically Sather ****ed up...
He messed with chemistry..., and as a result the whole team doesn't care...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:50 PM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk View Post
Dom Moore

Weaker PK (No Moore)

Whats funny about it all is how last year this team was still taking stupid penalties. The major difference is we had guys that could kill them and our goaltender was our best guy out there probably 85-90% of the time. This yaer the only adequate guy we do have on the PK is Jed Ortmeyer. Aside from that you never seen Jason Ward, Blair Betts, Marcel Hossa, or anyone really taking away passing lanes. Quick sticks certainly have been missing all year long too.

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:13 PM
SML

If you want to gripe about the officials, then do it both ways. I don't recall anyone ever calling "BS" on a call that gives the rangers a PP. If you think the officiating sucks, fine, then it should be sucky both ways. Don't be a homer and cry foul every time one of our guys goes to the box and cheer everytime the other team does. What I'm trying to say is, I'd rather have an official who sucks all the time, because the law of averages should balance itself out, and then you just have to live with the fact that the guy his human and will make mistakes and you both have to deal with it, b/c it's part of the game. That is fair. It's not fair when a guy lets one team go all night or only seems to make bad calls for one side or the other. In a perfect world, we'd have some cyborg ref with 20/10 vision and instant replay in his head, and he'd never miss a penalty and he'd never make the wrong call. Unfortunately, we don't. I don't think any of these refs are going out and thinking "Let's see how bad I can be tonight, I'll give everyone something to talk about tomorrow." They're doing the best they can, and if there were any better refs, they'd be in the NHL right now. I believe they're trying, which is more than I can say for half these team on any given night.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:34 PM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevFan-RU- View Post
You guys got screwed on Shanny's hooking call.
Wasn't there some strange call in the Devils game last night too? Gionta got hooked down to the ice, he made a half-hearted retaliatory hook from his knees, two Devils played the puck thereafter, a Sabre touched it, whistle blows, and Gionta goes off for hooking...?

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
If you want to gripe about the officials, then do it both ways. I don't recall anyone ever calling "BS" on a call that gives the rangers a PP. If you think the officiating sucks, fine, then it should be sucky both ways. Don't be a homer and cry foul every time one of our guys goes to the box and cheer everytime the other team does. What I'm trying to say is, I'd rather have an official who sucks all the time, because the law of averages should balance itself out, and then you just have to live with the fact that the guy his human and will make mistakes and you both have to deal with it, b/c it's part of the game. That is fair. It's not fair when a guy lets one team go all night or only seems to make bad calls for one side or the other. In a perfect world, we'd have some cyborg ref with 20/10 vision and instant replay in his head, and he'd never miss a penalty and he'd never make the wrong call. Unfortunately, we don't. I don't think any of these refs are going out and thinking "Let's see how bad I can be tonight, I'll give everyone something to talk about tomorrow." They're doing the best they can, and if there were any better refs, they'd be in the NHL right now. I believe they're trying, which is more than I can say for half these team on any given night.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...hlight=reffing

thats just after searching just for 1 word (reffing) from myself. I call it good when i feel its good, i call it bad when i feel its bad, and i dont mind calling it favorable to us when it is favorable to us, and im certainly not the only one who does that. ive noticed Fly, Fletch, Jas, Jon Prescription, balej20, nyr2k2 etc etc all call it that way as well.

sure, SOME people will whine about it all the time, but by and large i think most people here are pretty fair when it comes to the reffing.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:39 PM
DevFan-RU-

Send a message via AIM to DevFan-RU-
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
Wasn't there some strange call in the Devils game last night too? Gionta got hooked down to the ice, he made a half-hearted retaliatory hook from his knees, two Devils played the puck thereafter, a Sabre touched it, whistle blows, and Gionta goes off for hooking...?
Yup. We got a hooking call in their own zone on our 5 on 3 PP.

And the ridiculous non-goal that Elias non-scored. Miller made a glove save behind the goal-line... but the officials threatened the Devils with a Delay of Game if they pursued the issue of reviewing the goal. (See TSN's highlights if you dont believe me)

Funny thing is, the Sabres fans are *****ing about how the refs sided with the Devs... weird.

DevFan-RU- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:57 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseenpunk View Post
Dom Moore
Martin Rucinsky
Petr Sykora
The Latter two not only kept Jagr happy but gave us a potent 2nd line scoring
-we did not need Shanny or Cullen
We should have either kept Rucchin or signed an Arnott type

Weaker PK (No Moore)
No Secondary Scoring (No Rucchin, Sykora, Rucinsky)
No Centre depth (I'm sorry but Cullen did not replace Rucchin adequately)

I'm not too sure I agree with that. Are you saying that you'd think we'd be better off with Rucchin, Skyora and Rucinsky instead of Shanahan, and Cullen? Moore I think was good for us, but I think the players are all chipping in to fill his role this year. Overall if we had those guy's still, I think we'd be in the same spot. Sykora did nothing for us last year in the playoffs, Shanahan is the guy to have if we ever get there again. The difference between this year and last, is that last year they didn't see us coming (we were supposed to end up last in the NHL) this year they have our number and it shows. Jagr is being held to be near ineffective every game. That wouldn't be a problem if the rest of the team could get it together. If the other lines were clicking better, then other teams couldn't afford to just concentrate on Jagr, that's not happening enough and so, the playoffs are going bye bye. Last year we were a one line team. This year it looks like we still are as much as I don't want to belive it. The third line is starting to look good, but we still need a center for Shanny.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:11 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
I'm not too sure I agree with that. Are you saying that you'd think we'd be better off with Rucchin, Skyora and Rucinsky instead of Shanahan, and Cullen? Moore I think was good for us, but I think the players are all chipping in to fill his role this year. Overall if we had those guy's still, I think we'd be in the same spot. Sykora did nothing for us last year in the playoffs, Shanahan is the guy to have if we ever get there again. The difference between this year and last, is that last year they didn't see us coming (we were supposed to end up last in the NHL) this year they have our number and it shows. Jagr is being held to be near ineffective every game. That wouldn't be a problem if the rest of the team could get it together. If the other lines were clicking better, then other teams couldn't afford to just concentrate on Jagr, that's not happening enough and so, the playoffs are going bye bye. Last year we were a one line team. This year it looks like we still are as much as I don't want to belive it. The third line is starting to look good, but we still need a center for Shanny.
IMO
Rucchin > Cullen
Shanahan > Rucinsky from a leadership and physical standpoint, but they'd put up similar numbers...Shanny more goals obviously...but the the most important thing is that having Rucinsky and Sykora on the team helped chemistry...I think that if we had kept last years team cept Poti, and signed Arnott (or another offensive centre) our team would have much more chemistry and we'd be in a different position...

Sykora produced well during the season, he just dried up during the playoffs, but so did the whole team including Jagr...

Last years team was much stronger than this years team because we subtracted key components from last year...Moore, Rucinsky, Sykora...
and replaced Rucchin (a leader) with Cullen who does very little...
Shannys a good player, but i'm a little worried about the chemistry between him and jagr...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:12 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Big Apple...

Renney's hand was forced... We would never have seen these kids if Ozo and Kaspar didn't have their collapses and Malik & Rozsival weren't injured...

Tommy Pock would be right back up in that press box if the abovementioned didn't transpire...

Plus guys like Girardi & Lampman & Pock are really not going to be the future blueliners that we're waiting for....

In a more realistic sense, there's really not too much to be excited about with regards to these 3 getting playing time....
What else do u want him to do, there is really no one else ready to be called up... They haven't traded for any veterans yet, they are still in a rebuild..... IT TAKES TIME.....

Old
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
You got people talking about Forsberg, Rucchin, and etc. Then like last week there was mention of two centers on a team but I forgot who.

You know what's funny, everyone keeps talking about upgrading the 2nd line center position. I haven't read ONE where we should go after a defender when that's what we're truly lacking.
You heard people talking, but none of those people are GM of the Rangers..... We are are still in rebuild mode......