HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why The Pathetic Lindros Bashing?

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 01:00 AM
anonymous*

vCash: 500
Well, this is my first post and it looks like I'm putting myself in the minority here.

Try not to take too many shots before you read what I have to say.

I agree with DKF. Although he probably didn't take the best tack in explaining his point, he at least tried to answer the question instead of giving his personal opinion as his complete answer and the psychological aspects he brings up are valid in my opinion.

We all love hockey and our respective teams. We feel connected to the teams and, vicariously, the players. The thing is, a connection is two things meeting and joining in some fashion. Other than giving the team your money and they in turn giving their fans a team there is no connection to the actual people involved. We make what we think are emotional connections, but they aren't really connections as much as attachments. When I say attachments I mean like he's a good guy or he's a bad guy. Unless you are personally connected, like being a friend, family member, or acquaintance you really can't judge the whole person and therefore you have attachments not connections.

Saying a player is bad/good is not saying the person is bad/good, (some people believe they know the person, but they can't and therefore don't) it's saying what that player represents to them. So when people "cheer" a players injury, they're not cheering that the human being is hurt, but the idea he represents to them.

While it's true the players are human beings a precedent has been set for seeing them as commodities. There is a forum here that discusses trades. The trading of humans is insensitive, but since we are not connected it is accepted. Some of you here are worried about Lindros the person, but do you ever wonder what a player with a wife and kids goes through with trade rumors or actual trades? You are not connected so you don't concern yourself with that. They are commodities and we discuss what they did for our team, do for our team, how they will hurt/help our team. We are not discussing people we are discussing attributes of commodities.

Understand that this is mostly subconscious, but the question was asked "What's with the bashing". The poster then infered that these people are pathetic. Are we to believe his opinion of people who cheered is the sum total of who he believes these people are? I would hope he would reserve final judgement on that for a situation that was important, unlike this. My personal belief is it's his emotional reaction to something he found distateful.

It's entertainment. It doesn't change who you are. It is there to entertain. While movies don't equal sports they do both equal entertainment and should be kept in perspective. What a person says as their emotional reaction is not the complete thought or feeling. It is a moment in time and not the definition of that person. If you got to know the people who "cheered" Lindros' injury, as in make a true connection, you would probably find they are caring individuals who do not wish bad on people. All you have now is a reaction. A reaction to a commodity that they did not care for becoming less of an issue for the commodities that person likes.

As a human being I care. He's got tough decisions and a tough road ahead of him.

As a fan I don't. He not only knew the risks from what people have told him, he knew from personal experience. It's one thing when a person isn't fully aware of consequences, it's another when they have a full understanding. Lindros cannot be accused of not knowing, fully, the consequences(unless he forgot because his memory has suffered from his previous concussions).

As a father I will be glad when Carl either allows or forces (don't know what his involvement in decision making on whether to return or not is) Eric to retire, like his brother, before it gets any worse. They say a person isn't any more prone to concussions after they've experienced one than anyone else, but the Lindros boys make a pretty good argument for being genetically susceptible. They don't know a lot about concussions even now. It would be better for Lindros to become an ambassador for the game and spokesmen for concussions than to risk any further injury that may or may not hurt him more later.

As far as "deserving it", if you believe in Karma or cosmic retribution it is true to you.

If this does not make sense to anyone I would ask that you ask questions rather than angrily reply so it can be explained better. None of this should be taken as any kind of insult to anyone on either side of this argument.

Anon.

Last edited by anonymous*: 01-31-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old
01-31-2004, 02:05 AM
No Quarter

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I think the hit Kasparitis put on him 5 or 6 years ago was the most wicked but clean hit ever put on Lindros.
Once again Lindros was skating with his head down and boom boom out go the lights.
I think he was out for a good part of the remainder of the season after that one.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:31 AM
ColdSteelOnIce

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that Lindros nailed an Ottawa player from behind when he was in a defenseless position against the boards with his head down. The Senator, I think, was about 6" shorter and 40 pounds lighter, and was severely injured.

I'm not sure if that was an exception or a rule, but I remember him picking on a lot of people that weren't his size.

I don't particularly like the guy, but he never played for a team that was in the Blackhawks' sphere of influence, so he was always slightly out of my radar.

That being said, I never like to see anyone get seriously injured.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
WOW!!! the most blatant case of "pot calling the kettle black" I have ever seen, Mr. 3000 posts, more than probably 90% of the posters in here.

Please, oh please, if you wanna defend your boy Lindros, at least have something of substance to say.

That being said, I hate Lindros as much as the next guy, but i don't like seeing anybody getting hurt, I'll wait til he gets healthy to bad mouth him.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:55 AM

No tears shed for Erica as he got what he deserved on a CLEAN hit by Doig. (Keep your head up Erica.) Something Erica didn't afford when he went after Kenny Jonsson of the Islanders who has a history of concussions and when Erica went after the smallest Islander Jason Blake in a dirty elbow manner.

And why didn't Erica get an instigator penalty for charging Doig after a clean hit?? He can hit players but can't be hit himself without fighting??

Like an unclassy Rag$ fan on the Rag$ board who said great news that M. Parrish of the Isles was down with injury. Ya never saw an Isles fan saying great news that Kasper, DeVries and Erica were down. What goes around comes around.

Erica should just retire before he can't pronounce his own name.

And the fact he thought he was bigger than the game and could call his own shots with his parents is comical. He's never won jack. He gets little sympathy from me.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:04 AM
clefty
What?

Lindros is a tool. That doesn't make it any less terrible to see him get another concussion, it sucks for anyone.

But saying "Lindros has to keep his head up" is not bashing him, its the cold hard, undeniable truth.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:32 AM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteelOnIce
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to say that Lindros nailed an Ottawa player from behind when he was in a defenseless position against the boards with his head down. The Senator, I think, was about 6" shorter and 40 pounds lighter, and was severely injured.

I'm not sure if that was an exception or a rule, but I remember him picking on a lot of people that weren't his size.

I don't particularly like the guy, but he never played for a team that was in the Blackhawks' sphere of influence, so he was always slightly out of my radar.

That being said, I never like to see anyone get seriously injured.
Andreas Dackell(sp?) was the Senator. Someone, not Dackell, hit Eric from behind, when he looked up he saw Dackell skating to the corner to retrieve the puck and Eric skated down and smashed him. He looked like he was hit by a truck, literally.

Eric recieved a lot of cheap shots with no penalties every game. It was accepted, it seems, because of his size, but the hits that caused concussions were clean.

I've seen some discussion about how to stop these kinds of things from happening, but with his and his brothers history I think a persons predisposition to concussions needs to be taken into account. Lots of players have been on the recieving end of similar hits without the same result as the Lindros boys.

I didn't see the whole play, but from what I did see it looked more like Eric running into Doig more than Doig realy laying one on him. The one thing I would like to know is when he was hit by Gill(I think it was) he missed the next couple of games with a stomach flu. With previous concussions he would vomit quite a bit and he also lied about having symptoms when he was in Philly. Concussion, vomiting, stomach flu? It would be interesting to find out if it was connected. If he was lying again about his symptoms then he really is his own worst enemy.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Someone said he dropped his head for a second and has been keeping his head up for the most part this year. If he dropped his head to find the puck in his skates then he dropped it at the worst possible time. I'll blame his early coaches who didn't teach him to skate with his head up sooner. I guess when you're that big you don't have to...just run over everybody. Until you run into someone big enough. No sympathy here Eric...but good luck in Toronto next year...maybe.

Closed Thread