HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/31)

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2014, 09:09 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Grachev was a bad skater and had two top 10 center picks as linemates .
I watched Grachev a LOT in his post-draft year and he only played with one of the two at any one time.

More importantly and in all seriousness, he was flat out dominant on his own and could skate really, really well for a man that big. In fact, he had a lot in common with Kreider - perhaps a little less powerful and a little more skilled with the puck. He routinely made moves and took shots that made your jaw drop (that were all him and had nothing to do with Duchene or Hodgson). I honestly don't know what happened to him... other than, you know, Ken Gernander.

Old
02-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Duclair wants to be a stud, that's a big part of what motivates him I think. I think he's got a lot of confidence and a willingness to work hard to get what he wants. He'll be impressing us at the prospect camp and Traverse this coming year. He wants to be in the NHL and he wants to be there yesterday.

Old
02-01-2014, 09:43 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Duclair wants to be a stud, that's a big part of what motivates him I think. I think he's got a lot of confidence and a willingness to work hard to get what he wants. He'll be impressing us at the prospect camp and Traverse this coming year. He wants to be in the NHL and he wants to be there yesterday.
I think you're right and I think that is only good for the organization.

Old
02-01-2014, 09:53 AM
Lindberg Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Can't believe that this kid got stuck with an attitude tag. Team prob wasn't winning, he got frustrated and demonstrated in a way that you would associate with an 18 yo. Can't expect someone to have developed leadership skills at that age. I wish every prospect thought in terms of the above.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:11 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Why would whether he's righty or not affect his production?
High glove side as opposed to blocker side. A gifted scorer is going to have more room on the glove side where the goalie has to catch it or fight it off as opposed to blocker side with covers more of the net, with a huge blocker and a bigger shafted stick to boot.

A puck just has to hit the shaft of a flailing stick to make a save if you know what I mean.

Not to say lefty shots can't score. But in today's game especially, if you take a look at the "natural" goal scorers goal totals (IE guys that average 30+ goals a year.. Stamkos, Ovechkin, Perry, Ryan, Sharp, Carter) and offensive defensemen with the highest point totals (Karlsson, Weber, Pietrangelo, Doughty, Boyle, Subban) you will see a ton of righty shots. Especially on defense.

There are a couple of set plays where having that righty shot helps tremendously. A screened goalie facing with a glove side shot has to catch it or have the puck hit him to make the save.

He can't catch what he can't see, and if the shooter is accurate and doesn't shoot it into him or traffic, it is very likely going to be a goal, or a rebound that creates 2nd and 3rd chance opportunities.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:14 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Aside from being black, the only similarities I see between Kane an Duclair is they're both left wings. One guy is a pure power forward while the other is more of a skill forward.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphacat View Post
How is he defensively? Is he a one-dimensional liability? Or is he decent two way?
Not a liability in his efforts at all. He back checks, plays a solid F3 role when needed, very aggressive in trying to create turnovers and going the other way, but he seems to lean towards the offensive end at every moment.

The Q isn't known for it's defensive structures, so it is hard to gauge has not every team is like a London Knights where they employ a pro style of play in junior level. The best way to put it is that he knows what he can do physically against this current level of competition and does it consistently. That's why he has the gaudy totals. He shows up every game.

He isn't like a Kreider who takes chunks of games off, floating around looking lost and reacting every few games. Duclair knows his legs are what's going to get him in big league money. He uses it.

He is like a weird mix between a Grabner and EKane. If he had a more imposing physical dimension to his game, he would be more like EKane.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Aside from being black, the only similarities I see between Kane an Duclair is they're both left wings. One guy is a pure power forward while the other is more of a skill forward.
Disagree there, he isn't physical enough to be on EKane's level, but they have near identical skating strides. I will bet you Duclair modeled his stride after EKane.

Duclair is a power skater with great puck protection skills at full acceleration just like EKane. Eric Lindros, and Eric Cole are the other guys I think off when looking at their skating strides.

Big powerful pushes mixed in with excellent footwork to switch gears.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:32 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Disagree there, he isn't physical enough to be on EKane's level, but they have near identical skating strides. I will bet you Duclair modeled his stride after EKane.

Duclair is a power skater with great puck protection skills at full acceleration just like EKane. Eric Lindros, and Eric Cole are the other guys I think off when looking at their skating strides.

I believe he has said he models his game after Evander Kane.

Old
02-01-2014, 10:43 AM
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I don't care if he models his game after Dale Purinton so long as he keeps scoring and playing like Sidney Crosby.

02-01-2014, 10:44 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:

Bolded is my point. Its like saying Lebron and Durant are similar players because they can hit outside shots when they way they approach the game is completely different.

Old
02-01-2014, 11:00 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Also, Skapski put on an absolute clinic for Kootenay last night. 30 saves on 31 shots for a 4-1 win against Prince Albert. The game was much closer than the score indicated. He got the 1st star of the game. Having a very good year on a very mediocre team.
Are you actually watching these Q and W games? Not accusing you, just curious.

Old
02-01-2014, 11:58 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I don't care if he models his game after Dale Purinton so long as he keeps scoring and playing like Sidney Crosby.
I wish that we had a cross-between Crosby and Purinton on this team.

Old
02-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Are you actually watching these Q and W games? Not accusing you, just curious.
The QMJHL, yes, I watch it very frequently.

The Dub, very occasionally. I read up on Skapski's game. I don't usually watch the Dub.

The OHL I never watch anymore. Turned into a **** league.

02-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet 3h
Great story in Montreal today. Christian Thomas is expected to play for Canadiens vs TB...where his Dad,Steve, is an Assistant Coach.
I didn't know Steve Thomas was MTL's assistant.

Pretty cool.

Old
02-01-2014, 01:33 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I didn't know Steve Thomas was MTL's assistant.

Pretty cool.
I think he's TB's assistant.

Old
02-01-2014, 01:36 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A big skill-less defenseman that dives and whines a lot?

Old
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
I think he's TB's assistant.
Ahhh.

He's played twice the ice time of Briere lolol.

Totally eating crow on thinking he'd be a good piece.

Old
02-01-2014, 02:55 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Ahhh.

He's played twice the ice time of Briere lolol.

Totally eating crow on thinking he'd be a good piece.
I think I was a much bigger Christian Thomas fan than most here. Happy that he's playing today.

Something happened at Traverse City in 2011. I don't think they revealed anything but I'm pretty positive he suffered a concussion there.

Old
02-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Raspewtin
NYR Stats Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I think I was a much bigger Christian Thomas fan than most here. Happy that he's playing today.

Something happened at Traverse City in 2011. I don't think they revealed anything but I'm pretty positive he suffered a concussion there.
Yeah, when Thomas was done in the OHL I stopped with that league for good.

He's got a hell of a shot, I hope he succeeds, even if he plays for the Habs .

He got crushed by a hit in a game against the Blues, didn't he?

Old
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Meaning he (the make believe hybrid) would whine to the zebras when they let his dirty infractions go unpenalized?

Old
02-01-2014, 03:53 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Undertaker View Post
Holy hell is Duclair on fire, 25pts in his last 11 or so.
Doesn't they develop goalies and defenders in the CHL?

Old
02-01-2014, 04:28 PM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Doubt it. If you can play on the top-6 in the NHL, you don't stay in the KHL. Usually it's the borderline NHLers or at least bottom-6ers who choose this option because it's better to be a star in the KHL than a journeyman in the NHL.
Money talks. It depends of thre salary the offer him in Russia, and how many years of ELC he need. How old is he?

Old
02-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Levitate

Quote:
I watched Grachev a LOT in his post-draft year and he only played with one of the two at any one time.

More importantly and in all seriousness, he was flat out dominant on his own and could skate really, really well for a man that big. In fact, he had a lot in common with Kreider - perhaps a little less powerful and a little more skilled with the puck. He routinely made moves and took shots that made your jaw drop (that were all him and had nothing to do with Duchene or Hodgson). I honestly don't know what happened to him... other than, you know, Ken Gernander.
Yeah, I think he had trouble adjusting to the speed of the pro game and not being as big as other players, and while his skating was good for a big guy I don't think he was really agile. Also just unforunately one of those guys who didn't continue to develop at a good rate. Some guys get better and others plateau early

Quote:
Everything about playing style aside this honestly is what's cool about getting more black players into the league, so you have other young black players who identify with them and try to model their game after them, etc.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:57 PM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Not a liability in his efforts at all. He back checks, plays a solid F3 role when needed, very aggressive in trying to create turnovers and going the other way, but he seems to lean towards the offensive end at every moment.

The Q isn't known for it's defensive structures, so it is hard to gauge has not every team is like a London Knights where they employ a pro style of play in junior level. The best way to put it is that he knows what he can do physically against this current level of competition and does it consistently. That's why he has the gaudy totals. He shows up every game.

He isn't like a Kreider who takes chunks of games off, floating around looking lost and reacting every few games. Duclair knows his legs are what's going to get him in big league money. He uses it.

He is like a weird mix between a Grabner and EKane. If he had a more imposing physical dimension to his game, he would be more like EKane.
Scuse me? Did you type this while Chris was in college cause he is engaged and a force every night even when he's not on the score sheet.

Closed Thread