HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Savard VS Gainey whose more patient??

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Savard VS Gainey whose more patient??

Until Savard was here we constantly added talent without giving up much, even Linden, Zubrus deal was to make us Younger and, he followed that up with many Free agent signings in 2001, he wanted to keep all prospects intact as long as possible, do you think he made a right decision, he could have easilly traded or let go guys like Ribeiro, Ward, Ryder but he stuck with them and they are all playing unbelievanle hockey now even when we made playoff I don't recall any big acquision done by habs, if Savard can be this patient from what I read BG is even better at this, Savard constantly added player by trading late picks, could BG be holding out for similar result, Ya Savard over paid for some player but he sure did play big part in rebuilding strong groupe of prospects ??

Old
01-31-2004, 03:36 PM
LPHabsFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Until Savard was here we constantly added talent without giving up much, even Linden, Zubrus deal was to make us Younger and, he followed that up with many Free agent signings in 2001, he wanted to keep all prospects intact as long as possible, do you think he made a right decision, he could have easilly traded or let go guys like Ribeiro, Ward, Ryder but he stuck with them and they are all playing unbelievanle hockey now even when we made playoff I don't recall any big acquision done by habs, if Savard can be this patient from what I read BG is even better at this, Savard constantly added player by trading late picks, could BG be holding out for similar result, Ya Savard over paid for some player but he sure did play big part in rebuilding strong groupe of prospects ??
Well, Im guessing your talking about Andre and not Serge. Gainey is very patient. You can tell just by how he speaks. Very calm, very calculated. Very rarely does he say something without considering the affects it will have. Even the breezy situation. Yes it sort of was an outburst but i doubt he would have done it if he didnt think it would help out the situation.

As far as who is more patient. Im not really sure you can tell because AS was only a GM for a couple of years while BG was a gm for about 6 and a in the organization for a few more. He essentially helped build the stars organization and if he can build the habs into what the stars were/are, Ill be a pretty happy camper. There are a LOT of comparisons between the habs and stars players in terms of similar roles.

Hatcher = Souray
Breezy = Zubov
Markov = Sydor
Lehtinen = Bulis
and a few more...
This isnt to say these players are equal to eachother in terms of skill and such but they do bring the same skills to the game, just in varying degrees.
There are two things (player wise) that differ between the organizations. First is the fact that we have no Modano and that gives an advantage to the stars. The second, which gives the advantage to the habs, is that we have better prospects. This is when comparing the teams to when BG started in the organization.

Now back to the patience thing. I don't know the exact numbers but I do know that Gainey is not one to pull off a lot of deals. It would surprise me if he were to pull off more than 6 or 7 deals (not including crappy ahl'ers) in his tenure as a gm and the 2 deals that stick out are the Newy deal and the arnott deal. Those deals both worked out in favor of dallas. And before someone argues about iginla. I don't think he would have developped into the 50 goal scorer if he were on dallas because then he wouldn't have had the same oppurtunity to play.

The deals that AS did were good, or atleast seemed good at the time. The Van Allen and co deal helped out immensely for the playoff run they had. I dont care what anybody says, I was junping for joy when i found out about the Cherkawski deal because we came out smelling like roses, atleast we should have.

Ya, so thats my little rant. I dont know if it helped the thread topic though

Closed Thread