HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Martin Gernat has earn 5 game within Oilers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-30-2014, 03:02 AM
  #101
BarDownBobo
Registered User
 
BarDownBobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Yak City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has developed well. Taste of NHL would do good for his development. After trading deadline he should be called up for the short stint. We should move as many defenseman as possible prior to deadline(to make room for Fedun&co): Potter, Belov Larsen and Nick Schultz. It is always demand of d men when contending clubs prepare for the post season
Honestly zero chance this happens. He needs to stay in OKC and play top pair, learn the defensive zone, and keep improving in general. He looks like a good pick for a 5th rounder, but there's no reason to throw him up here. Especially if you want to move all those guys.

BarDownBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 03:16 AM
  #102
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Homesick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,463
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Honestly zero chance this happens. He needs to stay in OKC and play top pair, learn the defensive zone, and keep improving in general. He looks like a good pick for a 5th rounder, but there's no reason to throw him up here. Especially if you want to move all those guys.
He needs to stay down there for another two seasons as far as I'm concerned. Unless he's absolutely crushing it down there and they don't believe the AHL can offer anymore towards his development(aka Schultz' offense/Marincins defense)

__________________
MacTavish signs UFA's just to annoy you
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 07:38 AM
  #103
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
He needs to stay down there for another two seasons as far as I'm concerned. Unless he's absolutely crushing it down there and they don't believe the AHL can offer anymore towards his development(aka Schultz' offense/Marincins defense)
I disagree. I would give both Klefbom and Gernat 3-5 games this year and a few games next year maximum 20. I don't want to bring guys fast like Marincin has been around 20 games and he may suck like youngsters usually do after 20 games.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 09:07 AM
  #104
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
I disagree. I would give both Klefbom and Gernat 3-5 games this year and a few games next year maximum 20. I don't want to bring guys fast like Marincin has been around 20 games and he may suck like youngsters usually do after 20 games.
too bad we couldnt be proactive for this and bring up marincin for 20, then swap him out for klefbom then gernat then bring marincin back. use up their 20 good games and send them back.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:11 AM
  #105
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,068
vCash: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
too bad we couldnt be proactive for this and bring up marincin for 20, then swap him out for klefbom then gernat then bring marincin back. use up their 20 good games and send them back.
The odds of all three of those guys have 20 good games in the NHL at this stage of their careers seems pretty darn slim to me. I really have no issue with making guys wait until an opportunity comes up.

We start calling guys up for the sake of calling them up and I think we set bad precedent. Want guys to work their butts off to get here and then work them off while they are here. Not have some sort of set standard where guys know they will get their chance so why work any harder than they have to.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 10:13 AM
  #106
CornKicker
Locked Out
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,430
vCash: 50
i agree it was just a joke

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 11:33 AM
  #107
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i agree it was just a joke
No kidding. The longer they stay down, the less likely management will be tempted to trade Petry away and keep his partner as his replacement.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:25 PM
  #108
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has developed well. Taste of NHL would do good for his development. After trading deadline he should be called up for the short stint. We should move as many defenseman as possible prior to deadline(to make room for Fedun&co): Potter, Belov Larsen and Nick Schultz. It is always demand of d men when contending clubs prepare for the post season
No idea what you see in Fedun. I'd keep Belov and dump Potter, Larsen, and maybe Schultz. Sad to see Davidson not progress like I thought he should. He appeared to be Petry v2.0 (what Marincin has become).

Give Musil, Gernat, and Klefbom a game or two to tempt them.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 02:49 PM
  #109
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO
 
Valic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,662
vCash: 500
I'd keep Belov for sure, but I'd definitely let Potter and Nick Schultz go.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
  #110
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
I'd keep Belov for sure, but I'd definitely let Potter and Nick Schultz go.
Why you guys want to keep Belov and how much you are ready to pay him.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
  #111
Panda Bear
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Why you guys want to keep Belov and how much you are ready to pay him.
Belov can play on either side of a pairing, can move the puck well, plays with composure, and is showing signs that he's getting confidence in his physical game here. Huge shot, too, but he's got to work on his accuracy.

Ideal bottom-pairing guy who can help out on the powerplay or step up to top four minutes. He's looked worse than he is due to being paired with Larsen (who can't defend worth a damn), Potter (who has no composure), and Nick Schultz (who can't move the puck at all).

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 04:39 PM
  #112
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,605
vCash: 1000
Belov's got some upside too, being that he may feasibly continue to adapt to the NHL game. He also hasn't had that great partners. Potter and Nick Schultz are the defensemen they are and are very replaceable by guys already in the system.

If we ARE bringing up AHLers for a few games at a time (like Fedun and Gernat), I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them paired with Belov, to see if they can develop a pairing that could work next season. He may be a rookie to the NHL, but Belov has played pro hockey for quite a while now. He's no greenhorn.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:00 PM
  #113
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

I'd give Klefbom a cup of coffee.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:15 PM
  #114
Ragss
Registered User
 
Ragss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
... Where's Smid?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!



where indeed

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2014, 05:39 PM
  #115
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

I'd give Klefbom a cup of coffee.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.
I'd guess/hope that after the deadline the Oilers have moved some bodies from their blue line and Fedun will be up. Maybe they're just showcasing the log jam of suck that is Potter, Larsen and Schultz.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
  #116
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

I'd give Klefbom a cup of coffee.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.
Never knows. Marincin does well now and has chance to win permanent job next fall maybe even during this spring. I expected this happening 2015 training camp so guys can come and veni, vidi, vici
This is a reason why I want give a cup of coffee to prospects.

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 02:17 AM
  #117
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,005
vCash: 500
Fraser trade means that we will not see AHL call ups any time soon

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:06 AM
  #118
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I don't understand why Fedun isn't already playing in place of Potter, Larsen or even Belov some nights.

I'd give Klefbom a cup of coffee.

Gernat? I dunno, he's pretty young. I guess a cup of coffee wouldn't hurt in a meaningless season, but as mentioned above, he's got to be 2-3 years away from seriously competing for a spot.
Fedun could play in place of Larson but I believe they want to give the more established player, Larson, a real chance. Larson has looked very good at times but IMO just not good enough for the NHL.

Fedun doesn't bring what Potter or Belov bring and Edmonton needs more of.

I agree, Kelf should get a cup of coffee and Gernat is still too raw and years away.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 12:52 PM
  #119
McRib
2nd Rate Fan
 
McRib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,462
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Fedun could play in place of Larson but I believe they want to give the more established player, Larson, a real chance. Larson has looked very good at times but IMO just not good enough for the NHL.

Fedun doesn't bring what Potter or Belov bring and Edmonton needs more of.

I agree, Kelf should get a cup of coffee and Gernat is still too raw and years away.
Honestly, when Potter plays with some edge to his game and uses his body he's not that bad. The last couple of games he's been throwing his weight around more.

I'll probably get blasted for saying that, but that's just the type of defenseman he needs to be to stay in the NHL.

He's a big guy. He can cause some damage and some second thoughts if he starts dishing out the punishment more often.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 01:40 PM
  #120
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
Fraser trade means that we will not see AHL call ups any time soon
Which is too bad. Perfect time to try out AHL D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Fedun could play in place of Larson but I believe they want to give the more established player, Larson, a real chance. Larson has looked very good at times but IMO just not good enough for the NHL.

Fedun doesn't bring what Potter or Belov bring and Edmonton needs more of.

I agree, Kelf should get a cup of coffee and Gernat is still too raw and years away.
Fedun brings good skill, skating and solid 3 zone play. Edmonton needs that exactly.

Fedun plays like a Tanev, who is a very solid bottom pairing D

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 01:47 PM
  #121
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Fedun brings good skill, skating and solid 3 zone play. Edmonton needs that exactly.

Fedun plays like a Tanev, who is a very solid bottom pairing D
They've been playing Potter and Larsen over Fedun.

That pretty much tells you all you need to know about how the organization feels about Fedun.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 05:40 PM
  #122
Natepollock92
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
OKC is just as bad as us this year in their league and for pretty much similar reasons(they have given up 155g in 45 games). Taylor Fedun is +9 with 24 points in 35 games on an awful team and had 2 goals in his 4 games with Edmonton....i fail to see why Fedun shouldn't get a shot hes obviously playing at a high level. Id say Klef, Fedun, Pitlick and Lander should get some time if at all possible.

Natepollock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:14 PM
  #123
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,402
vCash: 500
Gernat needs two more years in the minors

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:43 AM
  #124
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
No idea what you see in Fedun. I'd keep Belov and dump Potter, Larsen, and maybe Schultz. Sad to see Davidson not progress like I thought he should. He appeared to be Petry v2.0 (what Marincin has become).

Give Musil, Gernat, and Klefbom a game or two to tempt them.
Exactamente

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 02:07 AM
  #125
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Gernat needs two more years in the minors
Yes. Fedun can use the rest of the year as well.

Fraser was acquired so that the farmhands won't be fed to the wolves after the deadline, IMO.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.