HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone have Scotty Bowman's number?

Old
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Scotty Bowman doesn't have the sack to coach the Rangers.Scotty loves walking into the perfect situation.The only time Scotty failed was in Buffalo when they didn't already have one mega star after another on the roster.Scotty was also the GM in Buffalo and they couldn't wait to get rid of him.In 1989,Scotty was offered the Rangers GM job but he didn't feel he could succeed in New York.Made 10 million excuses about why he turned down the job.Montreal,Pittsburgh and Detroit were good teams before Scotty took them over
Very accurate assessment of Bowman. Even when he started, in Montreal, it was a loaded team.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 05:19 PM
shoothepuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
a trained monkey?
I'd take an un-trained monkey over Renney.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 01:16 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
On what aspect, Edge? My point is that Renney has zero confidence in any young player. The rope he gives them is an eighth of the length that one of these 4th liners that we have mentioned get. And who knows what kind of a standard someone like Malik may have.

I agree that having Pock, Girardi & Lampman in the lineup did not seem to make much of a difference last night. However, unlike Malik, these players have the potential to improve and get better. Malik is who he is at this point. So if in the short-term, the level of overall play stays the same, wouldn't it be better to continue to give the youngsters ice time becuase, unlike Malik, they WILL improve in the longer-term?

On the bright side, pretty soon we'll be able to resume our David Wright debate.
I don't really see a lack of confidence in younger players, just certain players who really are neither young nor have a lot of potential. The two main players in that scenario would be Immonen and Pock who will be and already are 25 and simply don't look like NHL'ers even to me. So in that regard I can't really fault Renney because I agree with him.

And I also disagree about their potential to get better. Personally just like Malik I think Pock, Immonen and Lampman are what they are at this point, 25 year old tweeners. The one exception mike Girardi who seems to be getting a fair amount of praise from Renney and is being used in crucial situations.

Our point of disagreement with those players is their ability to get better, I do not believe they will and sadly I do not believe they bring a heck of a whole lot to the team, again with the exception of Girardi who could be an NHL'er.

While I'm not a huge Malik fan and I could write a laundry list of what I don't like, I do believe he is a #5 or 6 NHL defenseman. Personally I don't believe that Lampman and Pock are even that.

I think we disagree about that, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't feel that way.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Very accurate assessment of Bowman. Even when he started, in Montreal, it was a loaded team.
Sure Scotty has all of those rings.He had the best players.The Rangers job was Bowman's 18 years ago but he ran away from the job.He agreed to accept it but then backed out

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:19 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
1-800-we are ****ed might be it

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:13 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In 1989,Scotty was offered the Rangers GM job but he didn't feel he could succeed in New York.Made 10 million excuses about why he turned down the job.
You know that's a real good point. He said the cupboard was bare, or something like that. Weren't both Leetch and Granato finalists for the Calder in 1988?

Neil Smith did OK with that bare cupboard.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
You know that's a real good point. He said the cupboard was bare, or something like that. Weren't both Leetch and Granato finalists for the Calder in 1988?

Neil Smith did OK with that bare cupboard.
Not only that but you had Amonte in the system, Richter, etc.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote