HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ward on the first line ?

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 03:40 PM
oli500

vCash: 500
Ward on the first line ?

What would you guys think of playing ward on the first line instead of bulis. I think we should try it for a couple of games. Ward was a player that shot alot when he played for the bulldogs. He would bring a certain level of intensity to that line that bulis dosent bring. With ward on the first line we could also have a very good 3rd line in bulis - bégin - dackell or sundstrom.

What do u think.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
You mention Sundstrom. I'd like to see him with Koivu again. Ward is of my favourite Habs, I just think he'd be a little bit out of place up there.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:43 PM
habsfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500
What would you guys think of playing ward on the first line instead of bulis. I think we should try it for a couple of games. Ward was a player that shot alot when he played for the bulldogs. He would bring a certain level of intensity to that line that bulis dosent bring. With ward on the first line we could also have a very good 3rd line in bulis - bégin - dackell or sundstrom.

What do u think.
ward is one of my fav habs, but hes not a good enough skater to be on that line... bulis brings a lot of much needed speed to that line.... he also has a pretty good shot

Old
01-30-2004, 03:45 PM
BigM1ke

Personally, I'd rather see Ward than Sundstrom on the top 2 lines. Ward reminds me of Dagenais but he's playing more physical and hasn't Dag's slapshot. This could be interesting IMO but I doubt this will happen.

Old
01-30-2004, 03:51 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli500

What do u think.
I like Ward, but IMO he'd be out of place playing with Ryder and Koivu. Aside from adding some size, Ward is a down grade in terms of puck possession, forechecking and speed compared to Bulis. In terms of shots, I think Ryder has that covered.

Old
01-30-2004, 04:34 PM
Istvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
You mention Sundstrom. I'd like to see him with Koivu again. Ward is of my favourite Habs, I just think he'd be a little bit out of place up there.
I'd like to see Sundstrom on the top line for a few games. He has good speed, a deceptively good shot and is an excellent passer. I think he might be a better "finisher" than Bulis.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:02 PM
Habber

Let's not fool ourselves here, Ward is not a 1st line player by any stretch of the imagination. Ward's a good guy to have on the 3rd or 4th line, but he just doesn't have the skills to be a top 6 forward.

He did well in the A because his skating didn't hamper him too much, but in the big show it's just not good enough to be an effective scorer.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Funny you guys mention Ward because I was just thinking this morning that Julien has to use him better.

He was AHL MVP last season for a reason. The guy is big and has a nose for the net, he just has to be given the opportunity, personally I like him more as a player and think he can/does bring more to the table then Dagenias.

I sure hope we don't give up on him because a team that lacks size,grit and strength should use Jason Ward a lot more.

Unbiased Canadian

Old
01-30-2004, 05:32 PM
Habeas Corpus

Ward got some time last night on the second line with Ribiero and looked pretty good. We could try him there.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:56 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I think CJ is using Ward very wisely. He is an energy guy who doesn't hurt you in either end of the rink, perfect for the third line. He adds a grittier forecheck component to that line that was missing (except for Begin's stint when Joey was injured). CJ has also thrown Ward up to the 2nd line and onto the PP in key situations, which is a nice complement to how CJ feels about Ward's efforts. I am quite comfortable with this arrangement, it seems to work.

As for Koivu's line, I really think the Habs are biding time with Bulis on the first line until one of the promising young shooters develop and can earn their true spot on that line. Once that happens, Bulis will likely go back to the third line, and with his speed and good hockey sense, could emerge as one of the best two way wingers in this league.

Old
01-31-2004, 04:25 PM
tritone

Wouldn't last more than 4 shifts

He'd be out sprawling on the ice with a separated mandibula or something LOL. Then again , that will happen on pretty much any line he plays on....I still wouldn't break up the first two lines just yet. Let's see what happens against the Beantown Boys and the Incredible NHL powerhouse Blackhawks hehe . I think the HABS started showing a return to their winning ways in the third against Minnesota , I don't believe any line changes are really needed just yet aside from 3rd and 4rth line tinkering as always

Closed Thread