HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canoe / Sun Writers...

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2004, 07:01 PM
ScreamerNM

vCash: 500
Canoe / Sun Writers...

Is it me or are the Sun writers just idiots looking for something to make a name for themselves.

Just read an article written by Terry Jones, him and his Lowe-bashing...
To me Lowe has done a pretty good job with what he has available to him.
Ya Dopita and Oates (So far) haven't been the best... but i mean what's it cost him? What else could he have gotten for what he gave up?

Ah... Maybe its just me....

NM

Old
01-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamerNM
Is it me or are the Sun writers just idiots looking for something to make a name for themselves.

Just read an article written by Terry Jones, him and his Lowe-bashing...
To me Lowe has done a pretty good job with what he has available to him.
Ya Dopita and Oates (So far) haven't been the best... but i mean what's it cost him? What else could he have gotten for what he gave up?

Ah... Maybe its just me....

NM
No it's not just you. I've been thinking the same thing.

The article written by Terry Jones is pure crap. He drove Poti out by telling fans to boo him. He's on Lowe's case in the Comrie fiasco. Comrie didn't want to play here anymore. He wanted out and it's that simple and Lowe couldn't do much about. If a player wants out, the trade value is lowered. When the Oilers originally signed oates, they were 30 in faceoffs. They're now in 12th. If anything Oates has improved the Oilers in faceoffs. Both Stoll and Horcoff have credited Oates for their improvement in faceoffs.

It's definitely not just you. I'm sure the Oilers organization will tell you the same if they could.

01-30-2004, 07:27 PM
Mr Sakich

do you ever get the impression that Terry visits this board a lot. Just about every idea in Jone's article has been beat to death here.

I didn't know there were any internet computers at Tim Hortons.

Old
01-30-2004, 07:49 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
haha more like i didn't know the goof knew how to use a computer.
"ok so this is a mouse ..... i wonder if it likes cheese" - TJ

Old
01-30-2004, 09:07 PM
theoil

Terry is just bitter because they woudn't put an elevator in to take him up to the free seats. The quality of writing for hockey in the two papers is even lower than the quality of hockey we have had to watch for most of this year and that should depress everybody. Like I said here before, I offered them a weekly during the season with distribution throughout northern and central Alberta at no cost to them and all they wanted to know was where would I find writers. With all due respect to GuyF that is the least of the problems associated with publishing a paper. The coverage in this city stinks.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:46 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
do you ever get the impression that Terry visits this board a lot. Just about every idea in Jone's article has been beat to death here.

Ive seen some interesting ideas and unique views pop up in articles by Jones and Brownlee about a day after they appeared on here. Im 100% convinced that certain writers do scan this board for ideas/topics.

Old
01-30-2004, 09:52 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Terry is just bitter because they woudn't put an elevator in to take him up to the free seats. The quality of writing for hockey in the two papers is even lower than the quality of hockey we have had to watch for most of this year and that should depress everybody. Like I said here before, I offered them a weekly during the season with distribution throughout northern and central Alberta at no cost to them and all they wanted to know was where would I find writers. With all due respect to GuyF that is the least of the problems associated with publishing a paper. The coverage in this city stinks.
I'd have to agree. Matheson's best days are behind him, Barnes is slightly above medicocre, and the Sun's guys just stink.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:41 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich

Two things:

I don't know if Terry Jones comes here much but I do know that Robin Brownlee does. At practice yesterday he says to me "Man I sure take a beating on your boards!" I kind of laughed about it and asked him if he wanted me to pass on a message. He said no because he thinks people disagreeing with him is what makes this a great country... or something like that. I'll say it again, Robin Brownlee is a terrific writer and whether you agree with him or not just back up your case. He did say to me that he likes our boards better than the others out there because the intelligence level you all have is far better. So good for you and maybe you should keep that compliment in the back of your mind the next time you run him down.

The other thing is that Kevin Lowe made reference to Terry Jones at the morning skate, kind of in jest but kind of not at the same time I think. "Terry Jones may one day get a job as a GM in this league but at the momnet I run this team." (Paraphrased). Lowe said it with a smile but I think the story that morning (thursday) that Terry wrote was not well received by him. Terry was not at the morning skate coincidently...

Old
01-31-2004, 04:29 AM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Two things:

I don't know if Terry Jones comes here much but I do know that Robin Brownlee does. At practice yesterday he says to me "Man I sure take a beating on your boards!" I kind of laughed about it and asked him if he wanted me to pass on a message. He said no because he thinks people disagreeing with him is what makes this a great country... or something like that. I'll say it again, Robin Brownlee is a terrific writer and whether you agree with him or not just back up your case. He did say to me that he likes our boards better than the others out there because the intelligence level you all have is far better. So good for you and maybe you should keep that compliment in the back of your mind the next time you run him down.

The other thing is that Kevin Lowe made reference to Terry Jones at the morning skate, kind of in jest but kind of not at the same time I think. "Terry Jones may one day get a job as a GM in this league but at the momnet I run this team." (Paraphrased). Lowe said it with a smile but I think the story that morning (thursday) that Terry wrote was not well received by him. Terry was not at the morning skate coincidently...
Lets be honest here, the thing which makes this board so great is this kind of input and behind-the-scences info. Im glad I found this place and cant even remember what it was like to have an opinion on this team and not have a place to disagree with people over it.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:14 AM
stauffer is my hero

i think brownlee does a great job in the sun. he breaks more stories and has more valid opinions than are ever expressed in the journal. jones is a washed up writer who can't even get people to read his crap if he's not making ridiculous accusations. if you want to know how highly thought of jones is by the management at the sun, consider that they sent him on the road for a month to follow the women's world cup of soccer in 2003. nice gig terry!!! can you imagine what that cost the sun in food allowance for the guy?

as for the journal, i like matheson (especially sunday's) but joanne ireland's writing is absolute garbage. can you not just tell us what happened in the game joanne without wasting half the article with some ridiculous lead in? she is brutal, and that's without even mentioning the high number of factual errors included in her stories (ie. the oilers scored in the second period against the avs on tuesday night to go up 1-0. hello joanne, were you even watching the game?)

Old
01-31-2004, 05:44 AM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauffer is my hero
i think brownlee does a great job in the sun. he breaks more stories and has more valid opinions than are ever expressed in the journal.
He broke one story, the Lowe money demand, which he had inside info for because of his obvious bias towards Comrie (I'm speculating, of course). He also blatantly lied about Lupul/Handzus being on the table, falsely increasing the pressure on Lowe to make a deal (and thus hampering Lowe's ability to make a good deal). If Brownlee reads our rants about him, I feel sorry for him, but I have to say that I'm not impressed at all with his behaviour during the Comrie fiasco.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:44 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyF
Two things:

With Matheson off the Oiler beat and covering the league Brownlee is the pick of the litter without doubt. Barnes also deserves credit. Ireland is so bad the less said the better and Terry was good a long, long time ago. It is sad. As I have said before, there is a lot said and written about how this town couldn't keep its good hockey players but we couldn't keep a lot of the talent we had in the papers either. Oh, and Spector, almost forgot him, - natural talent for the low road. Really should have gone into political coverage, he has the temperament for it.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:47 AM
The Rage

The one thing that annoyed me about Spector was how his writing (for the journal) always conveyed the idea that it was inevitable that Edmonton would lose its NHL team in the near future. I used to get realy angry when I read that stuff, and it certainly seems like he was wrong. However, I think he's quite enjoyable to listen to on the radio with Stauffer.

Old
01-31-2004, 12:05 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
I never remember taking offence to Brownlee's writing and for sure it would be nice if he signed up here (despite what i said some time back about a Brownlee Appreciation(!) Thread i was only joking) but if he does it would provide us a further great insight into the Oilers hockey world even if most people here hate him. People hate Mizral but to be honest half the time he is right and so I think Guy try encourage Robin Brownlee to sign up here, can't hurt having another opinion and view on board

Old
01-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
Guy try encourage Robin Brownlee to sign up here, can't hurt having another opinion and view on board
lol, don't hold you breath.

Back at training amp I went up to Robin, not unlike some groupie (how sad is that?), and introduced myself and told him how he was an influence on me and that I really enjoyed his work. He was very nice about it but probably was thinking "who is this dork?!?" at the same time. Five minutes later someone from the Oilers came over and told the media guys (we were all just standing around at the time) that Georges Laraque wouldn't be practicing that day but didn't say why. I asked Robin if he knew why and he gave me a nod but wouldn't say. "trade secrets?" I asked. "Yep" he said and smiled.

5 minutes later we all found out but it was the first lesson I learned first hand. If you know something the other guys don't, keep it to yourself.

With that in mind, Don't hold your breath waiting for Robin to join our boards... at least not as himself. Maybe he's already among us...

Old
01-31-2004, 04:41 PM
rabi_sultan

your not Robin Brownlee by any chance guy?

Closed Thread