HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Thread XVI: Callahan looking for $6.85M+ AAV?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2014, 06:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lJuicel View Post
Yet he wants to be paid like one. Not trying to hijack your post or anything, I just think the money and term Cally is asking for is far out.

As it should be given his situation. The guy deserves to be paid and get that wonderful sunset contract. Im fine with it as long as its not here. I wish him well. But it would be utter hypocrisy if the Rangers didn't buy out Richards in the summer following the trade of Callahan.

Old
02-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Hoping this stretches on for a few more days, and 4 more teams become heavily interested. The Rangers need as many trading partners as possible to get this to where it needs to be. He's going to be traded.
Why not 5 more teams, dare I say 6?!?

Old
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
lJuicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
As it should be given his situation. The guy deserves to be paid and get that wonderful sunset contract. Im fine with it as long as its not here. I wish him well. But it would be utter hypocrisy if the Rangers didn't buy out Richards in the summer following the trade of Callahan.
Yeah I guess I should have clarified, I'm fine with him getting paid, just not here.

Old
02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Yeah I guess I should have clarified, I'm fine with him getting paid, just not here.
CBC reporting that 1 western conference team, one of Sathers buddies, is who spoke to Callahan's agent telling him he is asking for too much money, lol.

Old
02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mint View Post
Can we stop acting like Graves was a HHOFer? He had a career .53 PPG and had one anomalous 50g season. His career was overrated based upon one ridiculously good season. Callahan in reference has a career .56 PPG playing without a generational centerman in a lower scoring era on worse Rangers teams. I certainly don't think it's disrespectful to compare Callahan and Graves, they're pretty similar players. I know Callahan sucks now because he's rumored to be leaving, but geez.
You know, I support trading Callahan, but Ive been trying to call out the silly "he sucks, get rid of him stuff." Now, allow me to come to the aid of Adam Graves who was AT LEAST as good of a player as Callahan.

I dont think most people on this board are old enough to remember him. But if people are going to fawn about Callahan's "intangibles," they would have a coronary when it came to Graves'. The man was basically Messier's body guard the entire time he was here.

Old
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
mike14

Quote:
Can we stop acting like Graves was a HHOFer? He had a career .53 PPG and had one anomalous 50g season. His career was overrated based upon one ridiculously good season. Callahan in reference has a career .56 PPG playing without a generational centerman in a lower scoring era on worse Rangers teams. I certainly don't think it's disrespectful to compare Callahan and Graves, they're pretty similar players. I know Callahan sucks now because he's rumored to be leaving, but geez.
I doubt any team Cally has been on sucked quite as much as those 1998-2001 teams and lower scoring by 0.2 means not a lot.

But you are correct in that we can compare Cally to Graves in a few ways, in particular; that the style of game they play means that they are likely to taper off earlier than other styles and that it seems likely both will play for teams after the rangers, despite being fan favourites and part of the 'leadership core'

Old
02-01-2014, 06:56 PM
lJuicel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
CBC reporting that 1 western conference team, one of Sathers buddies, is who spoke to Callahan's agent telling him he is asking for too much money, lol.
Burke ? lol

Old
02-01-2014, 06:57 PM
mike14

Quote:
sounds like the most sensible thing Lowe has said in ages...

Old
02-01-2014, 06:58 PM
haveandare

Quote:

Saw that coming.

Old
02-01-2014, 06:59 PM
Savant

Quote:
Maloney?

Old
02-01-2014, 07:00 PM
PurpleHayes
Hail the Motherland!

vCash: 925
Quote:
Sooo St.Louis?

Old
02-01-2014, 07:00 PM
NYR Viper

I don't believe that

Old
02-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
I'm inclined to agree with your post, and they play a remarkably similar role on their respective teams, one that i'm a fan of (see: username)

That said, you touched one a very, very important note reagarding these teams, and what Graves's role was, Vs Cally.

Graves was counted on for offense, but he was never THE guy. His ability to play physical and punch a face while being a good player was what made him unique. He was counted on to back up Mess.

Cally is a similar player. He's not going to light up the opposition's best defensemen, he's not the highest scoring player on the team. He's not supposed to be THE guy. His role is to play a certain way, produce a certain amount, and be counted on in any situation.

They're both role players. A big difference is, Richards and Nash combined aren't as effective as a Messier, and Cally wears the C instead of the A.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
Savant

I think CBC's report is a intentional leak/scare tactic actually.

We will see.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Quote:
Yet he wants to be paid like one. Not trying to hijack your post or anything, I just think the money and term Cally is asking for is far out.
As I said plenty of reasonable arguments to trade. I just don't like it when Cally's effort and his on ice contribution is questioned. To me Cally's been the best captain for the Rangers since Mess' first run (with the exception of Jagr). I understand not willing to pay him $6 m per long term but I'm not going to reduce myself to questioning what he has done and meant to this team during his years here.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:04 PM
OverTheCap

While Graves' 52-goal season was an outlier, he did have multiple 30+ goal seasons other than that. He played half of his career in the dead puck era and scored 38 goals on a very bad Rangers team in 98-99.

Graves epitomized intangibles - excellent penalty killer, always stood up for his teammates and told it like it is (both on the ice and in the media - he defended Zubov's decision to opt for surgery when Smith and Campbell questioned it), was fiery and passionate, and always worked his butt off. He did everything that Cally could and more.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:08 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
This...this is a good thing, if true.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
This...this is a good thing, if true.
I don't see how it is a good thing. It means we're much less likely to get the full return in a trade for him. If he doesn't get dealt, chances are he'll test the market anyways, and see if 28 teams agree with Sather and this GM.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:10 PM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Maloney?
Or Brian Burke

Old
02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I don't see how it is a good thing. It means we're much less likely to get the full return in a trade for him. If he doesn't get dealt, chances are he'll test the market anyways, and see if 28 teams agree with Sather and this GM.
I'm hoping to get him to sign for 5 at 6m, so another GM telling him that he's asking for too much is likely to push him toward dealing with Slats.

I'm biased though. I've used his play over the past 4 years as an inspiration to work harder myself, so I'm hoping to see him stay.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
I'm hoping to get him to sign for 5 at 6m, so another GM telling him that he's asking for too much is likely to push him toward dealing with Slats.

I'm biased though. I've used his play over the past 4 years as an inspiration to work harder myself, so I'm hoping to see him stay.
I wouldn't be devastated if he re-signed, but I'd hope that it doesn't impede Girardi dealings if we did sign him.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:15 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 243
I know the whole buzz has been about Callahan the last few days, but it's pretty surprising to not hear a peep from G's camp, or anything about him resigning.

02-01-2014, 07:17 PM
TheDirtyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats Zuccarelli View Post
Or Brian Burke
Burke on Callahan: Well he's no Jack Johnson.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtyH View Post
Burke on Callahan: Well he's no Jack Johnson.
Well, he can spell intense.

Old
02-01-2014, 07:19 PM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
I know the whole buzz has been about Callahan the last few days, but it's pretty surprising to not hear a peep from G's camp, or anything about him resigning.
It's the way this organization handles stuff. If it's quiet it usually means they're close. If they're leaky as hell, as in Callahan's case, you can tell something isn't going right.
I fully believe Girardi will be re-signed before the Olympic break. If those numbers from the Post are correct, they'll reach a deal shortly.

Closed Thread