Jim Slater?

Old
02-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Phaneufed
Thrashers Fly 4ever

vCash: 500
Jim Slater?

Hi from a Flames fan.

Just wondering how good Jim Slater is in real life, I have him on my NHL 07 team and he's very fast in that game. How good is he in real life? Thanks.

Phaneufed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 08:08 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary View Post
Hi from a Flames fan.

Just wondering how good Jim Slater is in real life, I have him on my NHL 07 team and he's very fast in that game. How good is he in real life? Thanks.
Imagine Shean Donovan playing C, but with less offensive finish and less defensive ability.

To be honest Slater isn't even that fast, he just looks like he is hustling because he moves his arms so quickly when he skates.

btn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Magnus Fulgur

The only reason Slater is in the NHL is Bob Hartley.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Holly Gunning

Wow, I would hate for someone to ask about me after a losing streak. Ouch.

I've never been a huge Jim Slater proponent, however, someone must make some points here. First, he is fast, there shouldn't be an argument there. He has some offensive ability, about the amount you'd expect in a third or fourth line center, because that's what he is. He's getting better defensively, as all players do with experience.

Given that he's a third or fourth line center, however, he shouldn't have been taken 30th overall in the draft. That's the biggest problem I see, he was taken too high and thus expectations of him are too high. At least the team got an NHL player out of the pick (some teams don't even do that), but putting him on the first or second line is a mistake because he's just not going to score a lot.

He was picked that high before Bob Hartley, so I don't see what he has to do with anything. Bob likes hard-workers with good attitudes though, so there's no reason he would get in Bob's doghouse.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Slater has the potential to be good..he just really hasn't shown it.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

HG's on the mark about Slater. However, Slater has straightaway speed, and doesn't have good initial jump or good agility and isn't strong on his skates. These are what holds him back as a third or fourth line player. He reads the plays pretty well on O and D, but he doesn't get into position well.

His play is panicky: He knows where he has to go, but his leaving point A and getting into point B is awkward, while the speed between A and B is frenetic. I actually think he'd be a much better player without Hartley. He needs to slow down and forget about this "hustle is everything" Hartley mantra. Why spend all your energy getting to a point where once you get there you fall down? He's fast enough. He needs to believe in himself - he needs to work on his game, not on his work.

I don't understand why Hartley doesn't use Slater to forecheck more. That might straighten out his game a lot.

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:30 PM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post

I don't understand why Hartley doesn't use Slater to forecheck more. That might straighten out his game a lot.
That's a real good point. He has been effective on the forecheck in the past.

I think slater will come around. His scoring chances are few and far between, so when he gets the puck, he gets nervous it looks like. He goes for high percentage shots and goalies know what to expect of him. His first 3 goals, while hard-earned, were not highlight reel goals (except for the borderline high stick against TB, but that was a borderline high stick).

He's scored in the last 2 games, which is nice to see. The more time he gets handling the puck in a game situation, the better hell become and the more confidence he'll have.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote