HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat., Feb. 1, 2014| Flyers 2 at Kings 0 (Timonen will not play at SJ; upd. post #1)

Old
02-01-2014, 08:44 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 500
I can't believe they didn't give Giroux one of the three stars today. Not that of matters but he made some big plays today. The bat the puck out of the air assist, that nice back check he made, plus the clinching goal.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 08:46 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Just sitting down to watch the game now.

You guys are ridiculous with your Canadian Olympic team theories.

Kesler and Brown fought two weeks ago and will probably be linemates in Sochi. Guys always put personal differences aside to play for the crest on the front of the jersey, especially when they're representing their country.
neither of those guys are Cry-baby Crosby, if you dont think he has some pull on what he wants or not wants ur fooling yourself.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Broad st phantom

HC isn't smart enough to pull off a conspiracy theory.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:34 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
neither of those guys are Cry-baby Crosby, if you dont think he has some pull on what he wants or not wants ur fooling yourself.

You guys are hilarious.

In other news, just finished the second period. Man were the Kings dominant in the last four minutes. The Kopitar line especially was all over the Flyers in the first two periods.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 02-01-2014 at 09:40 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:39 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Well, I said they might need to make 1 goal stand up, and thats basically what they did. Can't expect to win many games with 13 shots on goal though.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 09:40 PM
whaleoil

I wonder if Hexy sat down with the coaching staff beforehand and went over LA's systems??

whaleoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Pretty good team defense game. Most of LA's chances came from mid-range shots because the Flyers played a Rangers style of shell defense around the net. I don't think that's a viable strategy for this group long term, but it did the job today.

The 4th line was great; I thought the other three lines all had some great shifts mixed with some pretty awful shifts. Kopitar's line killed whichever line was out against them... lucky they didn't pot a couple.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:20 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Pretty good team defense game. Most of LA's chances came from mid-range shots because the Flyers played a Rangers style of shell defense around the net. I don't think that's a viable strategy for this group long term, but it did the job today.

The 4th line was great; I thought the other three lines all had some great shifts mixed with some pretty awful shifts. Kopitar's line killed whichever line was out against them... lucky they didn't pot a couple.
Kopitar was out vs Couts most I think. I recall Downie getting abused a lot from that line.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion of Goon View Post
And probably why Giroux will still not make the team once Stamkos is ruled out
Well, Yzerman's in tough. I don't think they can send Stamkos if he hasn't played, but can he then deny St. Louis for Giroux?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:13 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
LA commentators considered Raffl the best player all game, called him the hardest working player on the ice who does everything and anything, and think the Flyers have a stud on their hands with him...

I would have never guessed that sentence would ever been typed.
Why, the kid has been playing great all year. Very smart, determined player with a lot of tools.

Here's my review.

Great team effort. Obviously Mason was the star but ALL the D played well. Well done. Kings had pressure, but not a lot of point blank scoring chances.

Also a good game for all 4 forward lines vs. a team that plays tight D, tackling and hooking everything in sight.

Rinaldo with another killer check that drew a retaliatory penalty. Great to have so much speed and size on the 4th line.

Everyone whines about the contracts, but Vinnie showed his class on the first goal. Just a great play. Same with Streit on the clincher. Poise to keep it in and a great pass by Hartnell after a deft Simmonds touch.

Luke Schenn and Gus played so well again together. And Meszaros played well too. That's the advantage of being able to throw him in a key road game instead of Manning or Lauridsen.... We won without Kimmo.

They had a rough patch, then blew out Detroit, and played two very solid, hard fought games vs. the Ducks and Kings. It bodes well. Need to regroup and play another good game vs. the Sharks.

They've proven they can play with good teams, we'll see if they can sustain it. You can't get outshot like that every night.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Despite giving up 35 shots I thought majority of them weren't quality shots because the Flyers mostly kept LA to the outside & didn't give them anything inside. Good strategy for today with the Kings struggling to score, make them beat you cleanly & not any dirty goals.

Mason made some tough saves but the shot count didn't really tell the full story tonight IMO.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 02-01-2014 at 11:35 PM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:29 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Kopitar was out vs Couts most I think. I recall Downie getting abused a lot from that line.
Really? I can recall two real nice takeaways, one that resulted in a direct scoring chance for Simmonds, and the other that didn't really go anywhere. He also had a great 2-1 opportunity in which he beat Quick high, just couldn't get the right angle.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Stizzle

Simmonds should take Jakes spot on the top line until Jakes hand is better imo.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Raffl's the man. He's truly been one of my favorite players since he played his first game.. He's smart, works hard every shift, has speed, and he even blocks shots like a boss.

Gus, Giroux, Simmonds, and Mason all had solid games, as well. The whole defense did a pretty good job not giving up prime scoring opportunities. They still have trouble with clearing the puck and then getting pinned in their own zone for way too long, but they did a good job of collapsing in front of Mason to prevent shots from getting through.

And if I could complain about one thing not related to the Flyers play, it would have to be the reffing in this game. Interference galore.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:

they did what they had to to win a road game. probably not a great formula like you said for every night but they found a way to get it done.
Probably a safe bet that getting outshot 35-13 against San Jose likely doesnt net you 2 points.
good to see Gus keeping up the good work defensively.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 01:40 AM
Harold Bingo
what

I'd like to have Toffoli on the Flyers. Make it happen, Homer.

Old
02-02-2014, 02:10 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
I'd like to have Toffoli on the Flyers. Make it happen, Homer.
he is their top prospect. really cant see him getting moved. probably more of a chance that Vey gets traded for scoring help.
I have seen him a ton in Manchester the last couple of years. there is no doubt he has skills with the puck in the offensive zone. He is pretty weak defensively right now and isnt overly physical.
No question I would love to have him in Philly but I doubt i happens.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 02:22 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he is their top prospect. really cant see him getting moved. probably more of a chance that Vey gets traded for scoring help.
I have seen him a ton in Manchester the last couple of years. there is no doubt he has skills with the puck in the offensive zone. He is pretty weak defensively right now and isnt overly physical.
No question I would love to have him in Philly but I doubt i happens.
Does Toffoli play center in Manchester or does he play the wing there too?

Old
02-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Qyburn

Quote:
Just sitting down to watch the game now.

You guys are ridiculous with your Canadian Olympic team theories.

Kesler and Brown fought two weeks ago and will probably be linemates in Sochi. Guys always put personal differences aside to play for the crest on the front of the jersey, especially when they're representing their country.
I probably agree with you, but I just have to say those are some craaazy (or, if you'd prefer, ridiculous/hilarious) generalizations you're making, off of which you're building what need to be much more specific deductions. If there's a chance of things being personal that's when you can usually throw most generalizing out the window.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 08:30 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Just found that we won 2-0. Nice. Only 13 shots??

I am still away from home this weekend. I know LA have been on a downspin. But how the heck do we beat them with 13. Lol.

Happy and shocked.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:13 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Mason was amazing today. Gus + Schenn is a great combo for the Flyers right now. Giroux was huge as well. Big win.You ******* Beef .
Agree. What is up with Mike Richards? He is to good to be playing like he is.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Clown Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I'd be interested to see how his Corsi stacked up against Giroux's because it seemed like Richards was killing that line every second he was out there. It wasn't until the Flyers had the man advantage that they could get anything significant going.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Meh....he's a good defensive center. Not surprised his offense isn't up to snuff. He's gotten progressively inconsistent in that regard. Glad he didn't add to his putrid 7 goal total against the Flyers and glad Simmer had a great game....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:58 AM
zarley zelepukin

Watching that game, it's not that hard to see why LA has scoring troubles. When you have 5 top six forwards and 4 of them have been inconsistent or worse, you're not going to get much. They still killed us in possession, but I think that's pretty normal for them.

Flyers did what they needed to do. Mason had a pretty easy game considering the shot total but he made a few good saves when he needed to.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
flyershockey

The Kings have the talent on offense. Their problem is Sutter's insistence on choking the life out of any offensive creativity. Instead of using world class talents like Kopitar and Carter, he wants his team to play like 4 grind lines.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote