HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Moves I dream about

Old
02-05-2007, 07:48 AM
dumpsathernow*

vCash: 500
Moves I dream about

Hello board. Figure I'd make this my first post. Another year, no rebuilding, no playoffs and a bad coach behind the bench. Yep. That's the Rangers.

First move I dream about would be management moving towards the light and seeing this team stinks and isn't making the playoffs and to become sellers

Second move, fire Renney. He is horrible.

Third move, trade Nylander and Rosival. Nylander is a UFA and I didn't get the sense he wanted to come back and was looking for his final big payday. The Rangers drafted a boat load of defense prospects. It's time to sell high on Rosival. I believe Rosival could bring back a mid to late first round pick as well as a good prospect. Nylander probably would fetch a deal similar to what Rucinsky did when he brought back a 2nd round pick and Umberger.

Fourth move, release Hossa immediately. He's horrible.

Fifth move, send Hollweg to the Pack. I don't know why he was ever called up in the first place. He didn't earn it.

Sixth move, trade J. Ward and Rachunek for 3rd and later picks. I think teams would want those guys if it was for later round picks.

Seventh move, trade Immonen. Obviously, they have it in for this guy. Have no idea what the return would be. Perhaps if they packaged him with Pock who they also don't seem to like, they could bring a decent pick.

Eighth move, call up Dawes, Callahan, Byers and Baranka.

Dawes and Callahan should both be placed on one of the top 2 lines so they develop. Move Shanny to left wing. He can hack it. Baranka should have made the team out of camp. Figure you get a center back in the Nylander or Rosival deal.

Dawes-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-trade center -Callahan
Byers-Cullen-Prucha
Hall-Betts-Ortmeyer

A. Ward-Baranka
Girardi-Tyutin
Malik- Lampman

Might as well play Lampman till Staal gets here next year. I'd trade Malik but nobody would want him.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:01 AM
in the hall

Sending Hollweg to the Pack is ridiculous

all of what you suggest would obviously never happen but i wouldn't mind if some of it did

now why aren't you willing to trade shanahan and jagr, or even straka if you're basically going 100% rebuild

they bring us the most back, i also think you are a bit optimistic on the trades

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:05 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
It's very easy to say fire Renney. But unless, you've got a guy in mind that you know can do a better job than Renney has for his tenure, it's not as easy to do it.

02-05-2007, 08:12 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
Hello board. Figure I'd make this my first post. Another year, no rebuilding, no playoffs and a bad coach behind the bench. Yep. That's the Rangers.

First move I dream about would be management moving towards the light and seeing this team stinks and isn't making the playoffs and to become sellers

Second move, fire Renney. He is horrible.

Third move, trade Nylander and Rosival. Nylander is a UFA and I didn't get the sense he wanted to come back and was looking for his final big payday. The Rangers drafted a boat load of defense prospects. It's time to sell high on Rosival. I believe Rosival could bring back a mid to late first round pick as well as a good prospect. Nylander probably would fetch a deal similar to what Rucinsky did when he brought back a 2nd round pick and Umberger.

Fourth move, release Hossa immediately. He's horrible.

Fifth move, send Hollweg to the Pack. I don't know why he was ever called up in the first place. He didn't earn it.

Sixth move, trade J. Ward and Rachunek for 3rd and later picks. I think teams would want those guys if it was for later round picks.

Seventh move, trade Immonen. Obviously, they have it in for this guy. Have no idea what the return would be. Perhaps if they packaged him with Pock who they also don't seem to like, they could bring a decent pick.

Eighth move, call up Dawes, Callahan, Byers and Baranka.

Dawes and Callahan should both be placed on one of the top 2 lines so they develop. Move Shanny to left wing. He can hack it. Baranka should have made the team out of camp. Figure you get a center back in the Nylander or Rosival deal.

Dawes-Straka-Jagr
Shanny-trade center -Callahan
Byers-Cullen-Prucha
Hall-Betts-Ortmeyer

A. Ward-Baranka
Girardi-Tyutin
Malik- Lampman

Might as well play Lampman till Staal gets here next year. I'd trade Malik but nobody would want him.
Hollweg did earn his place on the team.

Baranka is not ready for the NHL yet. I think thats why they called up Lampman instead (also to give him one last look IMO)

And if your going to get rid of anybody.. start with Malik.

And Hossa is fine. He's a good 4th liner, decent 3rd liner & if he ever ""breaks out" he'll be a good scorer but I don't see that happening in NY.

IF your moving Nylander, might as well ship out Straka & Jagr too & while your dumping the entire team..why not Shanny too?

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:14 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
Sending Hollweg to the Pack is ridiculous

all of what you suggest would obviously never happen but i wouldn't mind if some of it did

now why aren't you willing to trade shanahan and jagr, or even straka if you're basically going 100% rebuild

they bring us the most back, i also think you are a bit optimistic on the trades
Hollweg has no points and despite what many think, he doens't hit consistently every game. He also is average defensively. Basically, he does nothing. You say sending Hollweg to the Pack is ridiculous. Not nearly as ridiculous as calling him up after he got a whopping 14 points in the AHL while Immonen who had 70 as a rookie can't make the team.

One, you can't trade Jagr as I said because he won't play anywhere else. That's Jagr. Two, you don't trade Shanny because if you call people like Dawes and Callahan up you need somebody to play them with that can help them develop. A 100% rebuild is not having a team void of vets to help develop prospects. You need vets to develop prospects. You can throw 4 lines of all kids out there. Three, my trade values were basically right on the money. The way Rosival has played this year, with his age and salary, you could EASILY get a mid to late round first and prospect for him. Teams are always hard up for defenseman. A second and a prospect for Nylander is pretty cheap. Look at what Doug Weight brought back and to be honest, last year he wasn't nearly as good as Nylander has been this year. He was also older.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:17 AM
in the hall

it makes zero sense for you to compare hollweg to immonen.. clearly both are different players in different roles

your trade values on the money?.. roszival for a first and prospect?.. ward/rachunek for a third and later picks?.. i don't think so

Old
02-05-2007, 08:18 AM
dumpsathernow*

"Baranka is not ready for the NHL yet. "

100% pure B.S. That's the same ridiculous thinking of the people who have run this team into the ground for almost a decade. He is ready. You could see he was ready in camp. The Rangers mentality on prospects is that if they are the least bit inconsistent, they still stink and aren't ready. Welcome to youth. That's what young players are. It's no reason to say they aren't ready.

Tyutin was inconsistent his first half season. He was worse his second season. Only now is he more consistent. Basically took him 1 1/2 years of playing in the NHL. That's what rebuilding is. It's not saying every kid isn't ready.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:20 AM
War Admiral

Quote:
Hollweg has no points and despite what many think, he doens't hit consistently every game. He also is average defensively. Basically, he does nothing. You say sending Hollweg to the Pack is ridiculous. Not nearly as ridiculous as calling him up after he got a whopping 14 points in the AHL while Immonen who had 70 as a rookie can't make the team.

One, you can't trade Jagr as I said because he won't play anywhere else. That's Jagr. Two, you don't trade Shanny because if you call people like Dawes and Callahan up you need somebody to play them with that can help them develop. A 100% rebuild is not having a team void of vets to help develop prospects. You need vets to develop prospects. You can throw 4 lines of all kids out there. Three, my trade values were basically right on the money. The way Rosival has played this year, with his age and salary, you could EASILY get a mid to late round first and prospect for him. Teams are always hard up for defenseman. A second and a prospect for Nylander is pretty cheap. Look at what Doug Weight brought back and to be honest, last year he wasn't nearly as good as Nylander has been this year. He was also older.
Then the Isles should trade Blake and get the 1st overall pick. LOL

War Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:22 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
it makes zero sense for you to compare hollweg to immonen.. clearly both are different players in different roles

your trade values on the money?.. roszival for a first and prospect?.. ward/rachunek for a third and later picks?.. i don't think so

You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong. Like I said. Look what Weight brought back. I guarantee Rosival is worth more than Doug Weight to a lot of NHL teams right now.

Comparing Immonen to Hollweg makes perfect sense. You just didn't make the connection. It's about production in the minors and what the NHL club needs from its farm. Sorry, when you aren't a productive player in the minors like Hollweg wasn't in the AHL, you don't deserved to be called up unless you fill a specific role for the NHL club. He doesn't. People talk about the Rangers needing hitting. Please.

One, the Rangers need SCORING from the second and third lines more than anything.
Two, the Rangers need more physical play from their DEFENSEMAN.
Three, the Rangers need a POWER CENTER. A big, physical defenseman.

Hollweg is small. A forward throwing a few hits around doesn't justify an NHL job on the Rangers when you look at the problems of this team.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:25 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
Then the Isles should trade Blake and get the 1st overall pick. LOL
It's funny, I remember how posters on this board said we would get nothing during the fire sale for Rucinsky, Nedved and Malakhov. All who were worse players than Rosival by a mile at that time. Comparing the first overall pick to a mid to late first round pick is ridiculous. Believe it or not. Rosival has more value than Blake. Some people never learn. Goaltending and defenseman always have more value at the deadline than forwards. Always. Problem is that few teams ever want to trade a defenseman that is playing well for them and is young.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
in the hall

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. You're wrong. Like I said. Look what Weight brought back. I guarantee Rosival is worth more than Doug Weight to a lot of NHL teams right now.

ok.. so i am entitled to my opinion, thanks and thanks for correcting me since you are obviously right.. i'll save my breath, but welcome to the boards

Old
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
In The Flesh

Some players on a teams roster aren't there for pts. Hollweg provides energy, he's physical, he fits his role very well. Yea he has no pts, but look at his linemates, how many minutes he gets, get rid of hollweg and we're the weakest team in hockey, he's the only player we have that consistanly hits people.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:42 AM
dumpsathernow*

Let's look at what players brought back last year.

Janne Niinimaa who was a disgrace last year brought back a second round pick

Weight who was ancient and not that productive brought back a 1st, 4th in 2006 and 4th in 2007 plus prospects

Roloson who nobody liked at the time because he was so old brought back a 1st and conditional 3rd in 2006

Nieminen brought back a 3rd

Parrish who stinks, especially compared to Nylander, and Sopel who is below average brought back Denis Grebeshkov and Jeff Tambellini and a conditional 3rd

Gauthier brought back 2 fairly high second round picks and his game isn't well suited to the new NHL

Jeff Friesen brought back a second round pick back. A Ha!

Recchi who isn't ancient brought back 2 prospects and a second round pick

Witt brought back a late first and Beech. Sorry, Witt wasn't playing any better last year than Rosival is this year. He also takes stupid penalties.

Samsonov who stunk last year brought back 2 players and a 2nd round pick

Arnanson who is a lazy dog brought back a 2nd round pick and Bochenski who has pummeled the AHL this season

So given all that, I seriously doubt Nylander couldn't fetch a 2 and a good prospect and Rosival a late first and prospect.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:47 AM
dumpsathernow*

You can look at the absurd amounts GM's give up at the deadline if they think they have any chance of doing something here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005-06_NHL_transactions

As far as Hollweg contributing to this team. It's tired. That's Renney thinking. Which is exactly why this team has 4 players that score and the rest are worthless. Hollweg is not an NHL player at this moment. To be honest, Dane Byers is bigger, tougher and has accomplished more in the AHL in 50 games than Hollweg ever did. Hollweg should immediately be sent to Hartford to try and figure out how to develop an ounce of offense as well as work on his PK skills. A guy like him shouldn't be in the NHL if he can't kill penalties. Very few teams have a guy with no offensive skills on their team that isn't an enforcer or elite PK guy.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:57 AM
dumpsathernow*

Plus Hollweg despite having almost no NHL skills, isn't even an agitator this year. Go back to last year and he drew penalties and got a lot of teams off their game. Teams would get upset at him a lot. This year that isn't the case. They simply ignore him. Honestly, If he's gotten teams upset and off their game 4 times this season I would be surprised. So essentially, he does nothing.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:04 AM
GarretJoseph

Quote:
Plus Hollweg despite having almost no NHL skills, isn't even an agitator this year. Go back to last year and he drew penalties and got a lot of teams off their game. Teams would get upset at him a lot. This year that isn't the case. They simply ignore him. Honestly, If he's gotten teams upset and off their game 4 times this season I would be surprised. So essentially, he does nothing.
why don't you just change your name to "I hate Hollweg"..

He's an NHL player (and you can't prove otherwise, hes on an NHL team playing in NHL games), gives heart all the time & puts his life on the line for Ranger blue every shift.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:27 AM
dumpsathernow*

Again, go down the list of teams that have a guy with no points who isn't an enforcer or an elite PK guy. If you find some teams, then look at the amount of guys they have chipping in offensively on that team.

Rangers fans seem to have this love affair with players with no offensive skills who aren't enforcers or unreal PK players. At least Ortmeyer is really a top PK guy. Ask yourself this. Would the Devils be playing Dawes and Callahan or Hollweg and Hossa?

Old
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
dumpsathernow*

"He's an NHL player (and you can't prove otherwise"

I love when people have nothing to support their point so they state their point and say you can't prove otherwise.

Hollweg - He's small, he's not an enforcer, he's not a PK player, he has no offensive skills, he's not a good even strength defender.

So essentially he is a decent hitter who skates well. Last time I checked, that doesn't make you an NHL player.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:53 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Zip hits it ont he head

Dont agree with most of what donut says.

But even though i like Sams blog the best, Steve Zipay hits it on the head with his latest blog.

Quote:
From what I'm hearing, things are too bunched up in each conference for teams to trade major UFAs in the next day or so. GMs want to squeeze the most they can by playing off suitors as long as possible.

I'm not sure what the Rangers brass can do to really, really upgrade the current team until the offseason.
It's a tough spot. The Big Four stars are slowing from playing many, many minutes, the youngsters have been up and down from Hartford or sitting, the mid-level guys won't draw many bites from smart GMs. They're kind of stuck lying in the bed they made.

If this team misses the playoffs, the blame should be shared by all involved, from the top down. I never picked them to win the Cup, but thought they'd be far more competitive.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/blog/

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
The Big Apple

Quote:

You can't compare Immonen to Hollweg, for many reasons.... First off Hollweg is more defensive minded, actually hits people, and is not much of a scorer.... He also played on the third line for the Wolf Pack, he is on the Rangers because he is a force that takes other players minds out of the game.... While Immonen played on the first powerplay unit, and played on the top line, for his job was to score points for the pack..... Immonen is also a future second liner, who could play on the second powerplay unit, while Hollweg is a third/fourth liner who could possible kill penalties..... They are two totally different players, you can't compare Immonen's stats to Hollweg's, they play two different roles......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:18 AM
The Big Apple

Quote:

Comparing Immonen to Hollweg makes perfect sense. You just didn't make the connection. It's about production in the minors and what the NHL club needs from its farm. Sorry, when you aren't a productive player in the minors like Hollweg wasn't in the AHL, you don't deserved to be called up unless you fill a specific role for the NHL club. He doesn't. People talk about the Rangers needing hitting. Please.

One, the Rangers need SCORING from the second and third lines more than anything.
Two, the Rangers need more physical play from their DEFENSEMAN.
Three, the Rangers need a POWER CENTER. A big, physical defenseman.

Hollweg is small. A forward throwing a few hits around doesn't justify an NHL job on the Rangers when you look at the problems of this team.
Based on what you are saying Jed Ortmeyer shouldn't being playing on the Rangers either..... I don't think so buddy....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
broadwayblue

Hollweg and his lack of scoring is the least of the Rangers problems. It's not like the guy is on the second line. Every team can use a hard nosed energy guy and Hollweg fits a needed role here.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:28 AM
clmetsfan

The problem with the Rangers isn't having a Hollweg on the team, it's having a Hollweg on the team when you don't have many scorers. The Rangers don't need Hollweg to kill penalties because they are overwhelmed with 3rd/4th line types who can kill penalties (Ortmeyer, Betts, Hossa, Ward, Cullen, Hall, Krog).

Those are the players that need to be thinned out in exchange for scorers.

Preferably Hossa, Ward, Hall, and Krog from my point of view.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Hollweg and his lack of scoring is the least of the Rangers problems. It's not like the guy is on the second line. Every team can use a hard nosed energy guy and Hollweg fits a needed role here.
People are forgetting one important thing with Hollweg. We have energy guys in the minors who are a lot better than Hollweg. Byers is bigger, tougher, more talented and can play the same role. The farm system is very deep in 3rd-4th line types who actually have legit skill sets.

Honestly, this team hasn't showed energy in weeks. So where is Mr. Energy Hollweg to fix that? This team needs young talent that scores and young defenseman that are physical. Not young talent like Hollweg with no skill who have no offensive ability.

Old
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Hollweg doesn't get the minutes he did last year. Renney was rolling all 4 lines almost every game last year, this year, he rarely does.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote