HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Erik Christensen

Old
02-02-2007, 12:19 AM
AK-Evgeni71*

vCash: 500
Erik Christensen

For non-pens fan that have seen this guy play this year for us. what do you think of him? IMO he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now, and is already a top 6 man on at least half of the NHL sides at the moment.

AK-Evgeni71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:21 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

one of the most underrated wristers, man can he wire that thing.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:23 AM
No Quarter

The dude has a great set of wheels on him also.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:00 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Though I don't always agree with him, Pierre McGuire is right: Christensen will be a 30-40 goal scorer at the NHL level within another year or two.

He'd have twice as many if he wasn't playing on the 3rd line and averaging less than 12 minutes of ice-time per game.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
He sure let that wrister go in the shootout in a hurry. I couldn't believe it.

Old
02-02-2007, 01:15 PM
SteelCitySaviour

Send a message via AIM to SteelCitySaviour
He's going to be the man in a hurry. Hopefully Ouellet slumps again and gets shipped off so Christensen can get a shot at the 2nd line, because man does he have some tools. By far the best shot on the team, his release is amazing and so is his ability to put an insane amount of velocity on his shot just by flicking his wrists. He has surprised quite a number of goalies in the last two years with a wrister that just explodes off his stick out of nowhere.

Anyone else catch his reaction after his shootout goal last night? Haha after he skated to the bench, he looked back at Fleury and gave him a little nonchalant shrug, as if to say "man, that was easy".

SteelCitySaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
Though I don't always agree with him, Pierre McGuire is right: Christensen will be a 30-40 goal scorer at the NHL level within another year or two.

He'd have twice as many if he wasn't playing on the 3rd line and averaging less than 12 minutes of ice-time per game.
Pierre was right on. If they can continue his conversion to the wing completely I think he's going to be on a line with Crosby or Malkin by season's end. I've thought of EC as a draft day steal since the first time I saw him in junior. He needs to keep his head level though, not get frustrated when he doesn't score, if he can do that and relax a little, he could score in bunches.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:22 PM
No Quarter

Quote:

I agree totally with your point about more icetime.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:29 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Evgeni71 View Post
For non-pens fan that have seen this guy play this year for us. what do you think of him? IMO he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL right now, and is already a top 6 man on at least half of the NHL sides at the moment.
Quote:

if he would be a top 6 guy on half the teams in the league why isnt he in Pittsburgh who has one of the weaker groups of wingers in the NHL. Just saying

I agree though he has a great shot and great wheels although i question his hockey IQ slightly, but with his natural ability 30+ goals should be no problem playing with Malkin or Crosby

VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwychen27 View Post
if he would be a top 6 guy on half the teams in the league why isnt he in Pittsburgh who has one of the weaker groups of wingers in the NHL. Just saying

I agree though he has a great shot and great wheels although i question his hockey IQ slightly, but with his natural ability 30+ goals should be no problem playing with Malkin or Crosby
Because it's do or die for Malone, and Therrien has an unnatural man-love for Ouellet.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:24 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Because it's do or die for Malone, and Therrien has an unnatural man-love for Ouellet.
Yup. Therrien makes some strange decisions sometimes.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Boocock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownExile View Post
Yup. Therrien makes some strange decisions sometimes.
Therrien reminds me of Charlie Wies, the Notre Dame football coach. He turned the organization around, yes. But he makes some interesting decisions and is really emotional.

It is kind of ironic how listening to Edzo to a Pens fan is like listening to Bob Davie as a Notre Dame fan.

God its good to be an Ohio State fan.

Boocock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:33 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Well while it is true that the Penguins Right wingers are not an overly strong group, their Left wingers actually are: Malone has been playing inspired and excellent hockey of late, and not enough great things can be said about Staal and the progress he's made since the season started. Christensen, a natural centre, has been playing the LW. The top-2 lines are playing so well right now, there would be no reason to change the lines.

Also, I think the Penguins are trying to spread out the talent as much as possible and make each line a scoring threat, which is another reason that while Malone or Staal might be more suited for a defensive-oriented 3rd line (with Talbot and Armstrong), the Pens would like to bring some more offensive firepower to the 3rd line to make each line a threat, even though Staal or Malone would be offensive threats as well. I also think that Therien is thinking that the Christensen-Talbot-Armstrong line will have some inherent chemistry from knowing each other well from their days in the AHL.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 3116
Quote:

ditto on the first point, but given his relative lack of experience on the wing he's been more than impressive lately. His downlow play has also improved leaps and bounds since his early call-up.

Christensen's skating is not that special... I'm not sure why his "wheels" keep getting mentioned as a strength. His two most prominent strengths are his shot (velocity, release, accuracy, you name it - its perfect) and his ability to pop-up seemingly out of nowhere for a great scoring opportunity - its a lurk-in-the-weeds style, a style very few players play successfully as it takes incredible anticipation and ability to read the play in order to be successful. Yet you question his IQ?

I'm not attacking you personally, just those two notes.

#1GuinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:26 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
The only argument is for changing with Malone. Ouellet and Christensen play opposite wings. Besides, the crazy thing to do would be to break up Staal-Malkin-Ouellet, which is a great line.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1GuinFan View Post
Christensen's skating is not that special... I'm not sure why his "wheels" keep getting mentioned as a strength.
Disagree. His stride is incredibly fluid and allows him to generate a good bit of momentum. His fluid skating style suits his game well. He changes directions a lot, alternating crossovers rather than just skating straight when approaching the blueline. That combined with his hands allows him to just walk right past defenders sometimes, fooling them with his change of direction and a deke. His skating (as well as a few other aspects of his game) reminds me a lot of Kovalev's.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:26 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
good point.....ec has played center all his life...and would still be playing center on any other team..... but with sid and malkin there is no room for him on our team at that spot.....so they just moved him to wing a month ago [why they haven't moved him there a yr. ago ] ec has not made the move to wing easyly......in his best games he has started out on wing but then move into the center role.....but he has shown much improvement....if he can make the move to wing he would be the scorer we need ......i can see sid setting him up all night....needs to improve along the boards and getting to the net a little faster..dosen't seem too much to ask.....but if he can't he will still make some team a fine top two line center [he is still better on face-offs than most of the centers we now have] it just won't be in the burgh.

The Old Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Well while it is true that the Penguins Right wingers are not an overly strong group, their Left wingers actually are: Malone has been playing inspired and excellent hockey of late, and not enough great things can be said about Staal and the progress he's made since the season started. Christensen, a natural centre, has been playing the LW. The top-2 lines are playing so well right now, there would be no reason to change the lines.

Also, I think the Penguins are trying to spread out the talent as much as possible and make each line a scoring threat, which is another reason that while Malone or Staal might be more suited for a defensive-oriented 3rd line (with Talbot and Armstrong), the Pens would like to bring some more offensive firepower to the 3rd line to make each line a threat, even though Staal or Malone would be offensive threats as well. I also think that Therien is thinking that the Christensen-Talbot-Armstrong line will have some inherent chemistry from knowing each other well from their days in the AHL.
I think you're right and i think that idea has proven itself true since he put them together. I don't think he and Sid necessarily had the best chemistry the short stints they were put together either, although it's difficult to get a good read on it since they were such short spans of time. But with as well as all the lines are playing right now, i'd be reluctant to change anything.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
The only argument is for changing with Malone. Ouellet and Christensen play opposite wings. Besides, the crazy thing to do would be to break up Staal-Malkin-Ouellet, which is a great line.
Agreed ... They have good chemistry, and Oullet has been the most disruptive element of that line, many of the transition goals they have scored is attributable to turnovers he has forced. To take him off that line in favor of someone who is not even accustomed to playing that side would be foolish, imo.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
I assumed that since EC had played center, he might be adaptable to either wing. Either him or Staal.

As for Staal-Malkin-Ouellet, it has been a great line lately, but Therrien certainly gave MO enough opportunities to succeed. If EC were given half the chances that Ouellet's been given, I wouldn't be shocked if he cemented a spot in the top 6 either.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Thundermare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Disagree. His stride is incredibly fluid and allows him to generate a good bit of momentum. His fluid skating style suits his game well. He changes directions a lot, alternating crossovers rather than just skating straight when approaching the blueline. That combined with his hands allows him to just walk right past defenders sometimes, fooling them with his change of direction and a deke. His skating (as well as a few other aspects of his game) reminds me a lot of Kovalev's.
The greatest aspect of is game for me is indeed theway he can dance to get from point A to point B dancing around other players. The rest of is game is excellent too, but that for me is what makes him very interesting. AS for comparaison to Kovy he dosn't have the same strenght but the rest of his game could be compearable... Kristian Huselius anyone

Thundermare is offline   Reply With Quote