HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could The Oilers Be Sellers Come Playoff Time?

Old
02-05-2007, 10:29 AM
rigger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
The Oilers went for it last year, but they were in a different situation. This time, if they mortgage their future, they could be sorry.
I agree 100%. They can't mortgage the future for rentals. They need to try get a decent defense man or 2 without getting rid of the Lupuls and Raffis of the oilers. Maybe picks and or prospects, maybe a good roster player if we are getting a signed player in return.

Pitkanen for example, I would not mind parting with one of Lupul or Torres and picks/prospects. Because Pitkanen is an impact player right off the get go and he is young and an RFA.

Stuart is an impact player right now, he is in his prime right now and will demand 4+ mill this summer and he wants to go back to the west coast, california. So I would not want to trade a decent young player for a couple months of him.

I am of the belief (and not to many oil fans are with me) that we need to buckle down, do what it takes to make the playoffs, don't move valuable young assets to make the playoffs, move Sykora, Nedved (if anyone would want him) for picks. Smyth will stay. (he has agreed to a contract but it isn't out to the media yet, wait till closer to the trade dead line). Trade Tjarqvist if we can find an upgrade.

Basically I want the oilers to keep their core together. They have a great young nucleus. Players like Smyth, Hemsky, Stoll, Lupul, Smid, Greene and an assortment of talented prospects. This team is built for a few years away and I don't want them to throw all that away for immediate success. Besides, we could add 5 great players and Anaheim would still probably beat us.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
scoringmachine

Oilers are longshot to make Playoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
they could be sellers, but not big like some teams. couple guys maybe, like sykora, but i dont think smyth is going anywhere. the oilers will fold before we see smyth in another teams uniform. i'd bet smyth would take a paycut just to stay in edmonton. all power to him. but i really dont see them "selling" smyth. and sadly the oilers if they miss the playoffs will still see themselves as a playoff team and not wanna dismantle the "amazing offence" they seem to have
The Oilers will not be sellers at the trade deadline unless they feel they can make the playoffs which I think they are not going to make. The Oilers are better waiting until the end of the season and trade players for players/draft picks and minor league players. If they trade at the deadline they are looking at best at getting a rent a player unless they can prove to the players they pickup that Edmonton is the place to play. Most people I know are Oiler Fans. This is coming from a Flames fan who had to suffer for 7 years before the Flames made the playoffs.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
hemmingway

Quote:
If you don't have players of a very high caliber, it is a miracle. Calgary was an eight seed and went all the way, it is true. But they also had Kiprusoff standing on his head, and Iginla at his best during the playoffs. Add to that Regehr performing extremely well. And the Oilers went to the finals, but they had Pronger and other players like Peca and Roloson who elevated their game. No disrespect, but they don't have anyone like Iginla or Pronger on that squad right now.
The player that was most responsible for that run (Kipper) was still being referred to as a back-up goaltender in February of the 2004 cup run.

As to the Oil's talent level - no, there is no Iginla, but as an interesting point:

Hemsky last season as a 22 year old - 81gm - 19g - 58a - 77pts

Iginla as a 22 year old (1999) - 82gm - 28g - 23g - 51pts

Different players, but a pattern appears. With Iginla peaking three years later in 2001-2002, its no wonder why 2008-2009 looks really good to the Oil.

Add to that cast a number of young, talented players like Stoll, Torres, Lupul, Smid, and Greene, and it's no wonder that the inconsistent play this season has led them to being a bubble team again. The consistency will come with experience.

Quote:
I don't doubt that the Oilers will come back over the next few years, but you do have to admit, a run deep in the playoffs this time, would have to qualify as a long shot of epic proportions.
Last year, with Pronger, it was a long shot. Now, after looking objectively at the trade that brought Pronger to Edmonton, the cup run, and the subsequent trade that sent him to Anaheim - Lowe is betting on the future (and the Ducks this year or next )

This year - I'm betting that Edmonton sells, gets quality 20-24 year old prospects or picks, and that the team from the east will have a much easier path to the cup than a team from the west.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
The player that was most responsible for that run (Kipper) was still being referred to as a back-up goaltender in February of the 2004 cup run.

As to the Oil's talent level - no, there is no Iginla, but as an interesting point:

Hemsky last season as a 22 year old - 81gm - 19g - 58a - 77pts

Iginla as a 22 year old (1999) - 82gm - 28g - 23g - 51pts

Different players, but a pattern appears. With Iginla peaking three years later in 2001-2002, its no wonder why 2008-2009 looks really good to the Oil.

Add to that cast a number of young, talented players like Stoll, Torres, Lupul, Smid, and Greene, and it's no wonder that the inconsistent play this season has led them to being a bubble team again. The consistency will come with experience.

Last year, with Pronger, it was a long shot. Now, after looking objectively at the trade that brought Pronger to Edmonton, the cup run, and the subsequent trade that sent him to Anaheim - Lowe is betting on the future (and the Ducks this year or next )

This year - I'm betting that Edmonton sells, gets quality 20-24 year old prospects or picks, and that the team from the east will have a much easier path to the cup than a team from the west.
i dont think its fair to compare hamsky to Iginla... their games are not even close to being similar... Iginla was instrumental in teh flames cup run because or grit, determination and leadership... his skill was just the bow that tied that package up nicely... Hemsky doesnt seem to have those intagibles (at least to me)... he may be skilled but he doesnt seem to have that determination, leadership and grit)... i think you would be better off comparing him to a Naslund, Tanguay... etc

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:13 PM
hemmingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i dont think its fair to compare hamsky to Iginla... their games are not even close to being similar... Iginla was instrumental in teh flames cup run because or grit, determination and leadership... his skill was just the bow that tied that package up nicely... Hemsky doesnt seem to have those intagibles (at least to me)... he may be skilled but he doesnt seem to have that determination, leadership and grit)... i think you would be better off comparing him to a Naslund, Tanguay... etc
I brought up the comparision to show where the Oilers talent level is - it's certainly in the development stage. At 22, Iginla was just beginning to show what he would become.

As to the leadership and determination, you should read the Edmonton boards on Hemsky recently. I would have said the same thing at the beginning of the season - and it would appear that I would have been wrong.

Hemsky has raised his game, starting with his ""We suck, you know. We stink. We look like we don't know how to play hockey. And you can start with me." quote.

When a 23 year old player states that he has to raise his game - and does - and raises the level of play of his teammates, that shows leadership. Over the last four games, Hemsky has grabbed the team, and carried them. Ten points in four games. Hits (yes, I know, it shocks me as well) and blocked shots. Not what you'd expect from a player like Tanguay.

Don't get me wrong - he's not a leader like Stoll, who I believe is becoming the best overall player on the Oilers, but to do what he has, overcoming a serious shoulder injury and maintaining a point a game clip, is impressive. To do so while attracting all of the media attention to himself, commiting to improve his game, and doing so, shows leadership beyond his years.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
Don't get me wrong - he's not a leader like Stoll, who I believe is becoming the best overall player on the Oilers
Yeah, Stoll is shaping up to be Captain material.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote