HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The Composite mask

Old
02-02-2014, 04:17 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 500
The Composite mask

http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.ca...en-dryden.html

in the link above, whe you scroll down a bit, there's a photo of Dave Dryden wearing a composite mask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaueWvjBDLI

in this vid, in 1979 he's wearing it. Was Dave Dryden the first to dawn the composite mask? If not who was? Who was the last goalie to wear the old school mask?

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
http://thirdstringgoalie.blogspot.ca...en-dryden.html

in the link above, whe you scroll down a bit, there's a photo of Dave Dryden wearing a composite mask

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaueWvjBDLI

in this vid, in 1979 he's wearing it. Was Dave Dryden the first to dawn the composite mask? If not who was? Who was the last goalie to wear the old school mask?
Dave Dryden was the co-inventor of the composite mask (with the famed Greg Harrison).

Trivia: who was the last goaltender to wear the Plante-style mask in an NHL game?

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalupa Batman View Post
Dave Dryden was the co-inventor of the composite mask (with the famed Greg Harrison).

Trivia: who was the last goaltender to wear the Plante-style mask in an NHL game?
Pelle Lindbergh?... It was the injury Parent received to his eye while wearing a Plante Custom model that really precipitated the Harrison/Dryden innovation & ultimately banning of the face-flush masks. By the late 70's, Harrison had almost cornered the market with about 80% of all NHL goaltenders wearing his masks, the leading custom manufacturer & designer. I had one myself made by him (over 40yrs ago mind you & early in his mask making career literally from his parents basement), similar style to the Ernie Higgins model. Harrison often borrowing from other earlier designers but with greater coverage, improved safety features. He had played goal himself up to the University level (University of Toronto) and as an Art Student blended his 2 main loves into a cottage industry. Believe he's still making custom masks, noted several discussions on the topic elsewhere....

Earlier in that decade (70's) of course Tretiak's outstanding play in the Summit Series & subsequent meetings against NHL & WHA clubs, International competitions, inspired many young North American goalies of the age who idolized him, trying to emulate his style & of course look. The helmet/cage combination readily available, inexpensive, off the shelf. It was however cumbersome and not entirely safe, some of the cage configurations with wide open cats eyes providing zero protection for the eyes, bridge of the nose. Yet if you went with the regular full cover cage, created blind spots. Esposito who wore contact lenses which were forever popping out in-game & lost forever against the ice was the first to add the bars to his mask mid-70's. Tony 'O' also responsible for the creation of the "cheater" to the catcher, adding an extra 2-3"'s to the pocket with an after-market stitched on leather & rawhyde grabber; creating the "Crotch Pocket", additional fabric & padding to his pants to close the upper 5 hole while in the Butterfly.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Pelle was close, but it was actually Sam St. Laurent.

Old
02-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
.... Oh c'mon Chulupa, how obscure is that! Sammy the Human Sieve St. Laurent? You kiddin me?... 9-3 pasting in Jersey one night after replacing Chico Resch? Did he ever play a game in which he wasnt pulled at the NHL level? Like maybe all of 20 in total?.... crazy. He was however quite excellent at the AHL & IHL levels. Go figure.

Old
02-02-2014, 12:24 PM
yukoner88

what year was that? 1985?

Old
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
what year was that? 1985?
.... January 4th, 1986. In the poor guys first taste of NHL action, he's called on to replace Resch who's pulled early in a game against Washington. Lets in a bunch, Resch then re-inserted to finish the game in a 9-3 hammering. Believe Sammy then given a one-way bus ticket back to Maine & the Mariners. A team he'd spent many years with but for a few stints with the Toldedo Goaldiggers of the IHL. That summer (86) traded to Detroit. Won several awards as I mentioned earlier in the minors, and did actually perform well on call-ups at various times during his fairly lengthy career.

Old
02-02-2014, 01:33 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
.... January 4th, 1986. In the poor guys first taste of NHL action, he's called on to replace Resch who's pulled early in a game against Washington. Lets in a bunch, Resch then re-inserted to finish the game in a 9-3 hammering. Believe Sammy then given a one-way bus ticket back to Maine & the Mariners. A team he'd spent many years with but for a few stints with the Toldedo Goaldiggers of the IHL. That summer (86) traded to Detroit. Won several awards as I mentioned earlier in the minors, and did actually perform well on call-ups at various times during his fairly lengthy career.
St. Laurent actually had a decent (if short) NHL career:
http://www.hockeygoalies.org/bio/stlaurent.html

Although he and Glen Hanlon traded spots in net in-game a lot more than either was probably accustomed to.

Old
02-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Hoser

Quote:
It was the injury Parent received to his eye while wearing a Plante Custom model that really precipitated the Harrison/Dryden innovation & ultimately banning of the face-flush masks.
It was the injury that Gerry Desjardins received to his eye that precipitated the Harrison/Dryden innovation and the banning of face-flush masks. Desjardins was injured in February of '77, two years before Parent. Dave Dryden began wearing his hybrid mask in the fall of '77, which is coincidentally when the old masks were banned at lower levels of hockey.

Last edited by Hoser: 02-02-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Oh? Well now thats interesting Hoser. Wasnt aware of Desjardins earlier injury. Looked it up. Ex-Marlie, goes to LA & performs well, but they acquired Vachon relegating Gerry there to the bench. Traded to Chicago and gets in-line behind Tony Esposito... wasnt for bad luck, no luck at all. Jumps to the WHA, atrocious GAA, on the wrong end of the winning stick. Imlach with the Sabres grabs him based on a clause whereby if a WHA (Michigan Stags in this case) moved (which they did, to Baltimore) Contract could be voided. Then he gets struck in the eye with a puck early in the 76/77 season, career over.... Learn something new every day. Thanks.

Old
02-02-2014, 10:18 PM
McGuillicuddy

Quote:
Damnit I knew that! Didn't check the board in time to showcase my (not so) elite goalie trivia skills .

It's funny, it wasn't until I saw Sam play on HNIC one night back-in-the-day that I realized that I hadn't seen anybody wearing an old-school mask for some time. I remember wondering at that time if he might be the last one ever (not knowing that there was a ban). It was only decades later in good old hockeygoalies.org Goalie Trivia that I learned that it was indeed the case.

McGuillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
.... Oh c'mon Chulupa, how obscure is that! Sammy the Human Sieve St. Laurent? You kiddin me?... 9-3 pasting in Jersey one night after replacing Chico Resch? Did he ever play a game in which he wasnt pulled at the NHL level? Like maybe all of 20 in total?.... crazy. He was however quite excellent at the AHL & IHL levels. Go figure.
Sounds like Michael Leighton. AHL superstar, beyond bad at the NHL level. Every time an opposing team entered the Flyers' zone I got an ulcer worrying about what would happen if they get a shot on net.

02-03-2014, 04:22 AM
yukoner88

Some great info!!

The injuries mentioned above occured in the mid 70s, but in alot of videos, up to 1984/85, lots of guys were still using the old masks, so how come the switch took almost 10years?

Old
02-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
... so how come the switch took almost 10years?
One becomes accustomed to certain pieces of equipment, be it pads, your blocker or catcher, belly pad & arm pads, and most assuredly your mask. Some guys who grew up & came up pre-mask like Andy Brown & Gump Worsley, Johnny Bower & Glenn Hall all very late in ever wearing one at all, never getting used to it or liking it. If you'd grown up playing wearing a form fitting mask, trading it in for a helmet & cage or composite with cage took some adjustment. Many just not feeling comfortable with them. If you dont feel comfortable, somethings "off" with sightlines or how you feel or "no feel" with sometimes new equipment not yet broken in, can mess up your game. Bower & some of the older guys as well, they were using the same chest protectors & arm pads that theyd had since like Junior when Dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. Same sort of thing as Butch Goring and his Beetle Bailey "Snap" brand Helmet. His Dad bought it for him when he was like 10 or something, Butch using it right through Junior, his entire NHL career. Fit, comfort, how it felt as important if not more so than any concern over safety issues. Even some superstition involved in a lot of cases, and players are indeed prone to them. Equipment put on exactly the same way every game like a ritual almost. Had to sit in a certain spot in the dressing room, be first or exactly 7th out onto the ice, very very picky about things.

Last edited by Killion: 02-03-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old
02-03-2014, 05:15 PM
nutbar

This is from the 1988 playoffs, but St. Laurent was still wearing an old style mask as late as 1989-90 with Detroit!

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 05:50 PM
ICM1970

I mentioned this on another thread but thought it relevant to this one as well. Back during the late 1990s and early 2000s, I played in an adult pick up group and one of the goalies wore a 1970s style moulded mask, sort of the "Sam St Laurent" of our group, lol. With me still playing sans helmet at the time, it would have made for a few neat action pics whenever I faced down or came close to that goalie.

ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
goawaygary

What's more impressive is Andy Brown playing goal helmetless in the WHA as late as 1977!

goawaygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 08:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ and equally impressive is how he looks exactly like the late Keith Moon, drummer for The Who.

Old
02-03-2014, 09:54 PM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
This is from the 1988 playoffs, but St. Laurent was still wearing an old style mask as late as 1989-90 with Detroit!
Good find - that's from the April 14th win over Toronto (also the only year that St. Laurent wore #32 with the Wings).

Old
02-08-2014, 12:03 PM
IComeInPeace

St Laurent didn't start wearing the modern style cage mask until '92...
His last NHL game was during the '89-'90 season for the Red Wings, and he wore the old school mask.

I recall tuning in to watch the previously mentioned playoff game vs the Maple Leafs (April 1988) where he was starting with his old mask. I don't think anyone had worn one of those in maybe 4-5 seasons at that point, so it was a real surprise.

The goaltender position, with the masks, the acrobatic saves...goalies were a really big part of the entertainment you'd see during an NHL game.

I'd say goalies are significantly better now (the style is much more effective), but there is zero entertainment gained from watching an NHL goalie.

There might be a few odd balls out there that love to see how effectively a guy tracks the puck, or cuts down the angle etc...but for my money it used to be way more entertaining to watch a goalie launch himself, or a body part, in front of a puck, as opposed to what we see now (there is no net to shoot at, and the puck is shot into the goalie).

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Disengage

Quote:
Good find - that's from the April 14th win over Toronto (also the only year that St. Laurent wore #32 with the Wings).
What makes that even weirder is he's wearing the Red Wings jersey they stopped wearing in 1986-87 in that video. Notice how there is some red jersey under the white stripe. In 1987-88 they moved the stripe to the very bottom.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 03:55 AM
yukoner88

Old
02-09-2014, 09:19 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Warren Skorodenski's famous Skull Mask. He & Murray Bannerman amongst the last two as a tandem to wear the full face flush models. Interestingly that paint job that he got in the very late 70's was supposed to be just temporary however he was unable to re-connect with the original artist out of Winnipeg in a timely fashion so it stuck.

Old
02-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Moose Head

I recall Tony Esposito adding a cage to his classic mask. Not sure if he did that before or after D.Dryden.

Moose Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Head View Post
I recall Tony Esposito adding a cage to his classic mask. Not sure if he did that before or after D.Dryden.
Well, you've brought up the name, and so here ya go, Tony Esposito, Great Goaltender & the Ultimate Cheater. Guy knew the rule book inside out. Studied it. Looked for loopholes & found them. He wore the same mask designed & made by David Britt of Montreal who made masks for a number of amateur through professional goalies using aircraft fiberglass. In 1974/75 Esposito took 3 shots to the eyes, one of them causing blurred vision for hours afterward so he had the Cage added. The prototype to what followed between Dave Dryden & mask maker Greg Harrison. However he didnt stop there. Added an extension to the top of the mask to protect to the top of his head as well. Plante & others, the aforementioned Harrison & Ernie Higgins however had incorporated that in earlier designs & models....

Esposito in 69 was hit square in the Adams Apple by a Lou Angotti slapper in practice. Couldnt breath let alone talk, thought he was gonna die, so he comes up with the first Neck Protector.... Far from done, he then add's what he called The Spider Web to the crotch of his pants. Sews on a piece of elastic mesh about 12"'s X 3"'s to close the 5 Hole up top there. As soon as the Officials noticed it, scrambled to create a New Rule outlawing that little bit of mischief. But good luck beating Tony 'O'. Merely sews in 12" long by 2" wide tubes of high density foam rubber to the inseams of his pants. No one but he & the Trainers the wiser. Cant see it, not illegal right? Added another 4.5"s to his Trapper as well, the first to do so & all gloves thereafter made that way....

His pads as well. Custom Kenesky's & Regulation 12"'s wide, he opens the inside stitiching, adding as much Kapok (lightweight material used in furniture mfg) as he can stuff in adding 3"'s to the pads widths, sews em back up. The NHL at that time did send Officials prior to the Playoffs & sometimes during to measure equipment & make sure everyone was playing it by the book. But you knew they were coming. Wasnt "surprise, spot check time" the way it is today. So Esposito & the Trainers would compress the pads for several hours using weights, crushing them back down to the legal maximum of 12"'s. Passes with flying colors. Officials leave, Tony just fluffs them up & out again like pillows....