HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Anton Stralman in a Tenuous Spot with Rangers?

Old
02-03-2014, 10:43 AM
McRanger

vCash: 500
McI looked out of place but I thought Allen looked right at home. One of them will get the third RD spot.

Allen can play LD if needed.

I dont want to go back to the days of Bickell where we have a 6th D man that we can never play, but it doesn't have to be a player as talented as Stralman or Klein.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Inferno

vCash: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tie up every spot with a long term contract. None of these guys aren't even offensive players. They're all defense first guys playing for a coach who begs for more offense from his D. Re-signing both Girardi and Stralman with Klein signed for 4 more years. McIlrath will never have the chance to show he is ready or not.
there's always injuries, callups, and if need be you can move a defenseman to make room for McIlrath if he's ready.

banking on kids making the team, and then having them not be ready, has screwed us ssoooo many times the past few years.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:54 AM
SupersonicMonkey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
there's always injuries, callups, and if need be you can move a defenseman to make room for McIlrath if he's ready.

banking on kids making the team, and then having them not be ready, has screwed us ssoooo many times the past few years.
They could try to stock pile a few under-the radar type of defensemen with offensive upside. Depth in Hartford and competition for that vacant spot in the roster.

As i mentioned Matt Tennyson from San Jose's system. Anthony Bitetto from Nashville's system.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
The Gloaming
Free Jesper Fast

I really hope we re-sign Anton. He's turned into such a reliable defensive presence. Plus he's good for a few awesome hits a year.

The Gloaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
Sign Stralman and deal Girardi, never liked Girardi after he didn't stick up for Gaborik after Carcillo fight! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Prk2Lojjmbw
What the hell is this forum coming to.....

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:05 AM
Ail
Kidmograph tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Tie up every spot with a long term contract. None of these guys aren't even offensive players. They're all defense first guys playing for a coach who begs for more offense from his D. Re-signing both Girardi and Stralman with Klein signed for 4 more years. McIlrath will never have the chance to show he is ready or not.
Even if all three of them end up locked up long-term they will have trade value. Klein is on a great deal. Stralman will probably make appropriate money for his services. Girardi will be overpaid.

I bet Sather could still move any or all of them if they really really needed to make room.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
If girardi us back they have to let Stralman go so they don't block mcilrath and to save on the cap. Sad but true
I think the question is can the Rangers afford Stralsy? If the rangers resign Cally, Girardi to new big contracts plus Hanks extra money plus Kreider, Zucc and Brassard are in line for raises, they may not be able to afford Stralsy.

If/when McIlrath is ready, Stralsy can be moved

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
True Blue

If he cannot be resigned because he wants too much, then he needs to be traded. If long-term (and Girardi is resigned), you do not want Girardi, Stralman and Klein to all be here, then he needs to be traded.

I think that he is a solid defenseman, but not necessarily a top-4. If a team wants to give you trade value that is equivalent to a 2nd pair defenseman, then I think you trade him.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:56 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
If/when McIlrath is ready, Stralsy can be moved
Not if he is signed long-term to more dollars than he is worth.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

McD - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Moore - Klein

Where's the offense? Once Richards is bought out, this team will be devoid of another capable point presence on the PP. Moore is pure potential right now. He still hasn't established himself as an offensive threat. The Rangers need a creative point presence.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 12:46 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
If the Rangers don't find a PP QB this summer, and I would consider that a failure, you don't need to place all your eggs on McIlrath or Allen making the team. You could sign a veteran to a 1 year deal under the AHL cap charge threshold and have the three of them battle it out for that spot.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 12:53 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
It would be outrageously stupid to let Stralman walk if he can be signed for a reasonable cost. I'd give him 3.5-4M and be happy paying him that.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
TheTakedown
Puck is Life

Quote:
Mcilrath will be ready if not close
Mac Truck needs to be MORE than ready in order to get a roster spot. We've had so many issues with prospects because they're "close" to ready, so we drop them in a roster spot, and they proceed to under-perform.

TheTakedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:00 PM
shinchanyo

Stralman's going to make 5 mil per? Based on all the talk here you'd think that was his asking price.

I don't see what the problem is here. He is a top 4 Dman and he is worth about 2.75-3.75 mil per on a 3 or 4 year contract. There is no downside to such a deal. There IS however a lot of downside to having only 2 proven RD on the roster going into next season. McI likely needs half or all of next season and then I feel pretty confident he WILL be ready. But until that time comes the team will have a very nice looking right side with Stralman, Klein and Girardi.

Honestly the team should hopefully have a glut of RD not at the beginning of next season but at the beginning of the season after. Allen and McI could concievably both be more than ready for regular NHL duties. This would make Klein and/or Stralman expendable for a nice little trade. Hell Girardi too could be used in a trade 2 seasons from now if the team is confident enough that they can pass on shutdown duties to Klein and McI for a year while Stralman and/or Allen pitch in as well.

Keep in mind 2 seasons down the road I'd venture a guess that it's not about having a #1 RD who can carry a Def unit by himself. It's about having a RD who can work with either McD or Staal. A season or a season and a half from now between Allen, Stral, Klein, McI one of those guys can hopefully do that and open the door for a Girardi trade. The hypothetical trade at that time would net us a nice asset or roster guy while also getting us out from under his eventual dropoff in play. There is a TON of cap for the rangers to work with especially if they jettison Richards. Guys like Stralman don't get 6 for 6 deals. At worst we'll give him a 4 x 4 which is VERY manageable. Especially as the cap continues to go up over the 3 or 4 years of the deal.

One of the very few bits of foresight I believe Sather employs is the "I can always trade him in two or three years" plan. The spokes can fail to turn when a guy like Redden is signed to such an egregiously horrific contract but I don't think Girardi at 7 x 7 or Stralman at 4 x 4 would qualify as that bad

The rangers are in a position where they kind of have to sign these guys while legitimately planning a trade within 2 years when the prospects are ready

Last edited by shinchanyo: 02-03-2014 at 01:09 PM.
shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Hunter Gathers
Electrified Angels

Send a message via AIM to Hunter Gathers
I'm all for 4x4 if that's what it took to sign him.

Hunter Gathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:13 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
He doesn't look too close right now. I would rather resign Stralman than Girardi. Stralman just has been a better player this year and will likely command less money
I think you're seriously underestimating the quality minutes that Girardi plays.

Greg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonGreschner View Post
Sign Stralman and deal Girardi, never liked Girardi after he didn't stick up for Gaborik after Carcillo fight! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Prk2Lojjmbw
This is either you joking or this is an example of an arguement that , when posed, makes you feel very glad you are on the other side of the fence. You might even be right in thinking that we should not re-sign Girardi but your reasoning...

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
If girardi us back they have to let Stralman go so they don't block mcilrath and to save on the cap. Sad but true

If MCI or Allen prove ready next season, they can always trade away Stralman or Klein. Neither is a prized FA who got some ridiculous salary that nobody wants. At around $3, they are immensely tradeable for something decent, at least a second rounder. With Miller, Fast, likely Lindberg and likely one of MCI or Allen making the NHL some time this or next season, the farm will be fairly empty. Rebuilding it by trading away (rather than losing) assets like Callahan and Stralman will be needed to avoid having the team sink to the bottom in a few years.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:17 PM
Blue Blooded

Sign Strålman and trade Klein if we struggle with the cap, this shouldn't be a difficult decision. Girardi's extension shouldn't even be a factor. Klein is a luxury, Strålman is a necessity.

If Klein is on your 2nd pairing, your 2nd pairing sucks.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:21 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Sign Strålman and trade Klein if we struggle with the cap, this shouldn't be a difficult decision. Girardi's extension shouldn't even be a factor. Klein is a luxury, Strålman is a necessity.

This, absolutely.

Resign Stralman without question. If a kid is ready, that's great, deal Klein and give that kid a spot. Don't depend on kids being ready. Wait until they are and then make a deal.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:24 PM
Thirty One
k.

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post

I agree, but did the Rangers trade Del Zotto for Klein and his 4 more years of salary commitment if they don't view him as at least an option on the 2nd pairing?

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I agree, but did the Rangers trade Del Zotto for Klein and his 4 more years of salary commitment if they don't view him as at least an option on the 2nd pairing?
That whole trade was idiotic so I don't know what they were thinking really. But Klein is obviously not devoid of value so I at least hope they figure they could just trade him if he didn't fit in the salary structure. I.E. just a stop gap regardless of contract length.

Hey he seems like a Carlyle type of D, maybe we can chuck him to Toronto for Gardiner!?

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Machinehead
Fire Clowneault

vCash: 50
Yeah Girardi, Stralman, Klein.

Por que no los tres?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:33 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
Wow it only took 10 posts to make this about McIlrath.

Allen or McIlrath should at least get a look in camp next year.
Well, he is an integral part of the equation. If the organization feels that he's ready then it will absolutely play a factor in re-signing Stralman and/or Girardi when the time comes.

I'm sure that Stralman is going to want to hit the open market given what defensemen have been able to get in recent years, especially given that it will be his first (and possibly only) lucrative long-term contract of his career. If Matt Carle can get $33 million over 6 years, then Stralman can at least get $20M for 4.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 01:40 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
Stralman's going to make 5 mil per? Based on all the talk here you'd think that was his asking price.

I don't see what the problem is here. He is a top 4 Dman and he is worth about 2.75-3.75 mil per on a 3 or 4 year contract. There is no downside to such a deal. There IS however a lot of downside to having only 2 proven RD on the roster going into next season. McI likely needs half or all of next season and then I feel pretty confident he WILL be ready. But until that time comes the team will have a very nice looking right side with Stralman, Klein and Girardi.

Honestly the team should hopefully have a glut of RD not at the beginning of next season but at the beginning of the season after. Allen and McI could concievably both be more than ready for regular NHL duties. This would make Klein and/or Stralman expendable for a nice little trade. Hell Girardi too could be used in a trade 2 seasons from now if the team is confident enough that they can pass on shutdown duties to Klein and McI for a year while Stralman and/or Allen pitch in as well.

Keep in mind 2 seasons down the road I'd venture a guess that it's not about having a #1 RD who can carry a Def unit by himself. It's about having a RD who can work with either McD or Staal. A season or a season and a half from now between Allen, Stral, Klein, McI one of those guys can hopefully do that and open the door for a Girardi trade. The hypothetical trade at that time would net us a nice asset or roster guy while also getting us out from under his eventual dropoff in play. There is a TON of cap for the rangers to work with especially if they jettison Richards. Guys like Stralman don't get 6 for 6 deals. At worst we'll give him a 4 x 4 which is VERY manageable. Especially as the cap continues to go up over the 3 or 4 years of the deal.

One of the very few bits of foresight I believe Sather employs is the "I can always trade him in two or three years" plan. The spokes can fail to turn when a guy like Redden is signed to such an egregiously horrific contract but I don't think Girardi at 7 x 7 or Stralman at 4 x 4 would qualify as that bad

The rangers are in a position where they kind of have to sign these guys while legitimately planning a trade within 2 years when the prospects are ready
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
If MCI or Allen prove ready next season, they can always trade away Stralman or Klein. Neither is a prized FA who got some ridiculous salary that nobody wants. At around $3, they are immensely tradeable for something decent, at least a second rounder. With Miller, Fast, likely Lindberg and likely one of MCI or Allen making the NHL some time this or next season, the farm will be fairly empty. Rebuilding it by trading away (rather than losing) assets like Callahan and Stralman will be needed to avoid having the team sink to the bottom in a few years.
I agree.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote