HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Sean Avery Traded to Rangers!

Old
02-05-2007, 07:35 PM
steviek3b

vCash: 500
I heard today on XM that Avery actual drew about 40+ penalties this year. It was most in the league. Of course he gets his share but drawing penalties can't be that bad of a thing.

steviek3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Czecher

Anyone else watching the game right now? Maybe they're really pumped to play with Avery... 3 goal on Hasek in one period? I like it already...

Czecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Evgeny Oliker

Avery is actually on my fantasy hockey team...so I follow him more than other players maybe.

A few things about this guy that you guys DON'T KNOW:

1. Penalty minutes - this guy is not just a fighter, he is also a good hitter. Also, his PIMs are down from last season...he is on pace for 173 pim compared to a whopping 257 pims last season.

2. Production - like some of you pointed out, he is a skilled player. His production is also going up in recent years:
03-04 - 28 points
05-06 - 39 points
06-07 - on pace for 42 points

3. Abilities - as someone pointed out, he can do more than just score.
Shot - a very good quick wrist shot that surprises goalies...I see him scoring 20-25 goals in the future.
Pass - a better passer than shooter, I think he can top out at 35-40 assists easily.
Speed - very underrated in terms of speed...he is VERY VERY fast...he does not seem to lose any speed while stick-handling...

4. Positions - What you guys may not know is that he can play all 3 positions, LW, RW or Center.

So I do think that he fulfills our 3 biggest needs right now:
Center - he can play 2nd line center or 3rd line center...but I would like to see him on the 2nd line with Shany and Prucha! I think he will provide the down-low play to then set up Shany and Prucha for the shot.
Grit - we really did not have enough grit to compete with teams like Toronto.
3rd,4th line scoring - if Avery does not make it on the 2nd line, then he will surely produce more than Ward on the 3rd line. If Avery does make it on the 2nd line...that only means that a skilled guy like Cullen will end up improving the 3rd line.

We got a unique player who ,unlike an Orr, can fight and still get over 40 points in a season! Let's give this guy support guys!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Jackson Ranger

I'm with Liquid. I don't like this deal. I think Avery's a headcase and if you don't think Renney has control of the locker room, wait until he gets here.

And I especially don't like giving up Cliche. Too much speed to give up for an agitator that "might" fill the 2nd line center roll. The Rangers finally have a guy in the system that is perfect for "today's" NHL and they trade him. Way to go Slats!

On top of that, I hope Jed and the rest of the pk'ers get plenty of rest because they'll have a lot of work coming up.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
As everyone's been saying, we hated Avery in LA, but we also hated Barnaby in BUF, so let's hope he is the reincarnation of Esa Tikannen, we could use that! I remember when he pretended to kiss someone on the Devils in the Eastern Conference Finals in 94' and the Devil took a penalty and we scored.
Anyway, so far the deal has helped the team...3-1 in Detroit, even if Avery's not in the building haha.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:43 PM
Edge

Mixed emotions on the deal.

Avery is an annoying aggitating player who can actually play as well, somethingwe severaly lack on the bottom lines. One of our problems is a lack of people who can bring offense to the bottom lines and play with an edge. In that respect Avery helps.

The question becomes upside. Has every peaked as a 15 goal, 40 point player or can he take it up a notch further into Tucker territory and become a 20 goal, 50 point player? Time will tell.

The part that hurts is Cliche. Not that he was going to be a star but that he could potentially be a second line player who does a little bit of everything. The question there is whether or not we already have that in Callahan?

To me I can'treally complain about the deal but I also can't praise it just yet either. I think it does help improve the bottom lines and hopefully allows Betts to slide down to the 4th line where he belongs.

This is a wait and see move.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Edge

I think there is a little bit of understimation to what Avery brings to the bottom lines.

A guy who can drives people nuts and can chip in some offense? I do like that aspect of the deal.

I think the hope is that he matures into what Barnaby became as a Ranger, and he's still pretty young.

Again Cliche hurts, but in a lot of ways Avery is exactly what you'd hope to have as a third line center.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Chimp

I'm interested how this deal will turn out. A gritty agitator who can pass, I hope this works out well. We needed this. Hopefully he can be affected by Shanny in a positive way.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Edge

I think the success of the deal will come down to what Cliche' turns into.

Ward and Marek to me are no factors right now.

The two key factors are:

A. Does Avery mature and bring to the table what the Rangers had in Barnaby.

B. Does Cliche' become a second line NHL'er, a third line NHL'er, etc.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
JRGNYR

He sure as hell came cheaper than Darcy Tucker would have. Same type of player, too.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr7andcounting

Should be fun seeing make his debut against the Devils.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
dank

also, during the VS. broadcast they just mentioned that Avery leads the league in Penalties Drawn with 46, Briere and Cole are 2nd and 3rd with something like 42 and 40, etc.. Jagr is the highest Ranger with 20-something, tied for 32nd..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:57 PM
crisb

Well think of it as this Ward or Avery?

crisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:59 PM
bleedblue94

this could very well open the door to cullen being moved and avery being the 3rd line center

bleedblue94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Edge

Or it could mean that the Rangers aren't happy with the asking prices of second line centers out there and aren't willing to break that bank for this season.

I could see them being okay with going with Nylander, Cullen, Avery, Betts the rest of the way.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
this could very well open the door to cullen being moved and avery being the 3rd line center
I'm thinking that Cullen - Avery - Callahan could make a very good 3rd line

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Diehardfan419

I love this deal. He and Shanny are actually very good frirends. The guy plays with incredible heart and yes, he does, cross the lines sometimes, but so did my favorite Ranger of all time...ESA TIKKANEN. Thats who Avery is, IMO, but we got him when he's 26, not 32. I like this deal. Man, our forwards really bring it now as a group..Prucha, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, Avery, and Hossa. ALL of em forecheck very well. Through in Orr now and then and we have solved our toughness issue up front. Now just fix the D-fense SLATS.

Diehardfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:06 PM
BigE

I don't mind the deal. He's 26 and bring a different dimension to the Rangers. I could see Shanny having a really positive influence on him as they were teammates previously in Detroit.

Losing Cliche hurts but I'd be more upset if Avery were 33 and not 26.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
StartLundqvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Deal kind of strikes me as odd considering the Rangers penalty troubles this year...
He also has drawn more PP's than anyone in the league this year.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:15 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Avery will do it all for the Rangers, he turned his act down and started playing hockey, but now with his reputation, he gets called for EVERYTHING. He can get tripped and get called for diving and the other guy get nothing.
Yeah, this is just inaccurate. It was just pointed out on Versus that Avery LEADS THE LEAGUE in DRAWING opposition penalties...

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:18 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Will he sucker punch Blair Betts in an effort to get #19?

TubbyTerrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
Pizza

I don't like this deal.

My first reaction to this is that losing M.A. Cliche........sucks. It just does.

Avery does what he does well, but IMO he is not a player that is going to get us into the playoffs.

Cliche will prove that he's much more than a depth forward. Unfortunately he'll do it in L.A. My feeling is we will look back in anger on this deal in a few years.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
AXN

Rangers still have a lot of players like Cliche and Marek will never sign here. Ward was not used a lot this year. This is a good trade that gives Rangers a young scrappy left wing on the third line. I still think they need a second line center.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
Edge

Don't think was a deal ment to put us over the top, but rather to get something we're severly lacking on this team.

I like Cliche' a lot, but I also don't think he was an irreplaceable prospect either.

Outside of Barnaby you'd be hard pressed to find a player who plays the way Avery does on this roster.

Over the years we've hoped everyone from Murray to Hollweg could be that type of player, but they haven't been.

As funny as it sounds you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a player who combines aggitation with offense on the scale Avery does.

The deal is still to early to tell but I almost get the feeling that there is a little bit of overvalueing Cliche's upside and undervalueing Avery's.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:34 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Ahh dammit, the player I hate the most is now in the eastern confrence.

Anyway, as somebody mentioned, Cliche is the reason we got Latendresse - thank you for that! How was J.Ward this year and has M.Hossa stopped floating now that he's on broadway? Ex-Ranger G.Murray has been having a hard time with us this year, but I'm still happy to have him. We really need more grit!
Marcel is doing very well this year. I'm one of his biggest supporters here though. I'd say about 25% of Ranger fans like him or tolerate him. The other 75% want him gone for "youth" which makes no sense since Hossa is young himself.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote