HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Sean Avery Traded to Rangers!

Old
02-05-2007, 07:39 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
We can all mourn the loss of Cliche, who in my mind, was never a lock to be a productive player for a guy who fills two of this team's needs. Avery adds grit, which this team needs (will easily become the PIM leader on this team). And he will right now be the 5th leading scorer on this team (addressing the need for scoring on the bottom two lines).

02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Not a bad move to get some more useful players! I do not think this is the last deal either.

Cliche is not an irreplaceable prospect. Avery is worth Cliche for his sheer entertainment value. If the Rangers are losing, Avery will still be a sideshow. And there is not a thing wrong with that as long as he keeps it under control and only on the ice. His highlight video was quite fun and I can see the Garden getting a little louder with this trade. And to think he can sort of play!

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:42 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
We can all mourn the loss of Cliche, who in my mind, was never a lock to be a productive player for a guy who fills two of this team's needs. Avery adds grit, which this team needs (will easily become the PIM leader on this team). And he will right now be the 5th leading scorer on this team (addressing the need for scoring on the bottom two lines).
Yep pretty much sums it up.

The best part about getting a player like Avery is that he's entertaining. I watch the team to be entertained with hits, goals, and fights. Avery can do all three.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
JRGNYR

To echo the sentiments of some earlier, I think this is a type of deal that could pay some dividends. Avery is not the savior but if he's such good friends with Shanahan, maybe he can babysit the newcomer and keep him in check in the locker room. Avery also seems like the type of guy who will see that Jagr is getting tossed around a bit and will go out and reciprocate.

Someone mentioned Esa Tikkanen up above, and I agree. Tikkanen was never a fighter, but he would agitate the hell out of other teams. Remember him puckering up to kiss other players? Great stuff. Avery is similar, although I'd say not as offensively gifted.

Giving up Cliche... well, there's been complaints about how many third line type prospects the Rangers have in the system, and now they deal one to bring back some potential help for the organization now. Not really a bad move, and there are speedy players available in every draft. I think it's safe to say Cliche is replacable. IF he develops, at least he's out west.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Are either of Marcel Hossa and Blair Betts second line players? Avery bumps and takes one of those guys off the second line, but I do not think this is the last move. We still need another top six player. What if Horton actually made his way here?

Shanahan-Avery-Horton...damn.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

No draft picks were surrendered.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I don't care if Avery wins a fight. I do care that he's willing to fight.

Barnaby rarely won.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
CBGB

From an LA Kings fan:

You're going to LOVE Sean Avery.

The guy hustles every shift 110%

He's had dog crap to pass to here (Willsie! Please.) He always goes into the corners to battle for pucks and he makes great blind passes to the MIDDLE of the ice, perfect for a guy named Shanahan who can put the puck in the net.

He's been on a leash and once he hits New York he should fit right in. He's gonna love NYC and NYC is gonna love him.

You'll be saying "I can't believe LA got rid of this guy" while Kings fans will be hoping and praying that Cleeeeeeeesh even plays a game in the NHL.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:48 PM
bubba5

We already take too many penalties, yes, he will protect jagr, jagr will never see the ice with all the penalties the rangers will be taking.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:49 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
Giving up Cliche... well, there's been complaints about how many third line type prospects the Rangers have in the system, and now they deal one to bring back some potential help for the organization now. Not really a bad move, and there are speedy players available in every draft. I think it's safe to say Cliche is replacable. IF he develops, at least he's out west.
The Rangers may have seen enough development from the likes of Hillier, Kveton and Zaborsky, who all have more offensive talent than Cliche. And, with the likes of Callahan, Byers and Korpikoski developing in Hartford, and still having 1st and 2nd round picks in a draft considered deep, but, not top heavy, they must feel Cliche is replaceable, when the opportunity to get a 26-years-old sandpaper-type, with some offensive upside, becomes available.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:50 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
We already take too many penalties, yes, he will protect jagr, jagr will never see the ice with all the penalties the rangers will be taking.
or all the PP's we get from Sean Avery drawing them. Please that whole penalty thing is overblown. He's improved consistently in points production and limiting his penalty minutes, all the while giving a solid effort.

Seems like the type of player you want. The only question is, does he keep his act under control outside of LA?

Old
02-05-2007, 07:51 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

My2 cents, I dislike losing Cliche. I liked him and thought he was a piece to the overall puzzle. As for losing J Ward & Marek, I'll lose no sleep over them. Avery brings a whole dimension that currently we are lacking. He will become an immediate fan favorite. Too much Hollywood, maybe? He is certainly entertaining. We will quickly know if the refs have it in for us or not. Avery has draw 46 penalties, the most in the NHL this year.

I see him stepping in, for now, as the #2 center with Shannahan on the LW, Hossa on the RW. Cullen, Prucha & Orts stay as is. Betts, Hall & Hollweg.

Avery is a piece of the puzzle. Ideally he's a 3rd line center. Think Avery, Cullen & Prucha. We still lack that 1st/2nd line center (Nylander) which I personally think won't get resolved until the off season via a UFA signing.

Overall I like the trade, we add toughness, grit and a real pain in the ass for opposition. Can't wait for tomorrow's NJ game. The real question for that game will be whther the devil fan viewing base will be greater than the 736 reported for their last game!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:52 PM
lotus

I like it but we'll have to see. We're totally not done though. We wouldn't have gone for Avery if we were selling and if we're planning on a playoff push Avery alone wont cut it. We're gonna give up something we like pretty soon, hope we get the same in return that fits us a little better.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:55 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
My2 cents, I dislike losing Cliche. I liked him and thought he was a piece to the overall puzzle. As for losing J Ward & Marek, I'll lose no sleep over them. Avery brings a whole dimension that currently we are lacking. He will become an immediate fan favorite. Too much Hollywood, maybe? He is certainly entertaining. We will quickly know if the refs have it in for us or not. Avery has draw 46 penalties, the most in the NHL this year.

I see him stepping in, for now, as the #2 center with Shannahan on the LW, Hossa on the RW. Cullen, Prucha & Orts stay as is. Betts, Hall & Hollweg.

Avery is a piece of the puzzle. Ideally he's a 3rd line center. Think Avery, Cullen & Prucha. We still lack that 1st/2nd line center (Nylander) which I personally think won't get resolved until the off season via a UFA signing.

Overall I like the trade, we add toughness, grit and a real pain in the ass for opposition. Can't wait for tomorrow's NJ game. The real question for that game will be whther the devil fan viewing base will be greater than the 736 reported for their last game!
Oh Burn!

Old
02-05-2007, 07:55 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

At first I was upset because Cliche went the other way but the more I think about it the better this deal is IF we get going and end up making one more deal to get a 2nd line center.

Avery adds grit and big time energy, he plays with a lot of heart which is something the Rangers have lacked lately and I feel a strong reason why they havent come out on top in the close games like Tampa Bay on saturday. Avery can score a little bit which is good and which is why he gives more than what Hollweg gives. He's another guy that will stick up for his teammates and throw a big hit to get the crowd going. I like this move right now. Get him out there against the Devils tomorrow night to take some names and kick some a$$

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:02 PM
coolbean04

After watching Avery's clips on youtube, I'm pumped to watch him play. I think he's going to be a better version of Barnaby on this team because he's a little more offensively gifted.

As for someone said earlier, he's a good passer when he wants to but he mostly shoots. He said that like it's a bad thing.

With the way this team dances around passing the puck and NEVER SHOOTS!!!! I'll definitely take a player that will ACTUALLY fire the puck on net.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Well I'm totally late on this news, but I love the deal. Cliche, from what I've seen, is two years away from and impact at the NHL level. Avery is only 26, has good hands, can score some as is one tough SOB. Marek likely wasn't coming over, so I like this deal.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:21 PM
The Big Apple

I think with this trade, a future trade is in the works.... Possibly with A. Hall involved....

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Kingswin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Not a bad move to get some more useful players! I do not think this is the last deal either.

Cliche is not an irreplaceable prospect. Avery is worth Cliche for his sheer entertainment value. If the Rangers are losing, Avery will still be a sideshow. And there is not a thing wrong with that as long as he keeps it under control and only on the ice. His highlight video was quite fun and I can see the Garden getting a little louder with this trade. And to think he can sort of play!

wowowww...hahahaa..you are in for a freak show

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The deal is still to early to tell but I almost get the feeling that there is a little bit of overvalueing Cliche's upside and undervalueing Avery's.
what I like about this deal is that it's success does not hinge on this year. If the rangers go into the tank then they still picked up a pretty unique player who, at 26, is just hitting his prime years. Avery can be a building block, he's not a stop gap

Cliche hurts but he was probably below Callahan, Pyatt and Korpikoski on the depth chart when it came to second/third line tweener prospects.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:01 PM
vlh1220

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
well I'll be honest I'm not happy about it

Avery has a horrible reputation and yeah in some ways its comperable to Barnaby but even King fans hate him.. he tears up locker rooms, thats not what we need

also don't like how this basically sets the tone to what will be a horrible Trade period.. we're trading prospects
Actually, there are a lot of fans in LA that also love Avery, seems to be one of the more popular guys with the crowd at Staples. He plays with a lot of emotion, it sometimes gets him in trouble. I think IMO he hated playing for a losing organization (with the Kings) with no hope in sight for a few years. Hockey as a sport is non existent in LA. I think he hated that too. He is coming to an organization with a rich tradition I think that will help his attitude.

vlh1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:05 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Usually I hate dealing youth but in this case Sean Avery brings an element sorely lacking on the Rangers-sand paper,annoying,in your face,grit.Plus he can play the game.I was watching the Canucks-Oilers last week,Matt Cooke was driving the Oilers crazy.My wife asked why don't the Rangers have that type of player.Good question.They do now.This is a deal which helps the Rangers next season.Avery will turn 27 this summer so he isn't Marty McSorely coming to the Rangers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Usually I hate dealing youth but in this case Sean Avery brings an element sorely lacking on the Rangers-sand paper,annoying,in your face,grit.Plus he can play the game.I was watching the Canucks-Oilers last week,Matt Cooke was driving the Oilers crazy.My wife asked why don't the Rangers have that type of player.Good question.They do now.This is a deal which helps the Rangers next season.Avery will turn 27 this summer so he isn't Marty McSorely coming to the Rangers
Yep, good move for now and a good move for the future...Most probably Avery is strong 3rd liner but the way he has been improving, 2nd line C is not totally impossible...Either way, the combo of skill, energy, and nastiness that he brings is nowehre to be found in the organziation...

And personally, I couldn't give a crap about Cliche..Another over-rated low-ceiling (in reality) prospect that too many people go gaga over and that we heve plenty of....

The only questions to me is where does Avery play and do we do any more trades follow?

My first impression was that this deal is only a prelude to another deal for a 2nd C by giving us more flexibility to deal...

OTOH, after watching tonights game and how out of place and pitiful Girardi (and Pock and Rachunek to a lesser extent) looked, I could see the Rangers now standing pat at C, but making a deal for a D-MAN that we desperately need..Gun to my head, I would go with the latter right now..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:35 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Avery was a teammate of Brendan Shanahan’s with the Detroit Red Wings before being dealt to Los Angeles in 2003. Shanahan will be expected to take Avery under his wing
http://blogs.nydailynews.com/rangers/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Knowing Shanny, he will do a good job and as an Islander fan, that scares me...

If Avery can clean up his act and focus on putting the puck on the net, I think he could be very effective.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote