HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official GDT February 5: NY Rangers VS Detroit Red Wings, 7:00p VERSUS

Old
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
oh, now jagr is the reason why arent making the playoffs.

this team shouldnt be supposed to make the playoffs in the first place, but this is new york, there is no grey zone, you make the playoffs, win the stanley cup or you dont and the fans are screaming doomsday.

seriously.. what do you expect?
making the playoffs?
with that lineup?
with that coach behind the bench?
get yourself some glasses, this team isnt even ahl material.
what do we got?
jagr,shanahan, lundqvist who is extremely inconsistent in his sophomore year, a young tyutin who could be a great defender in the future but should NOT be our no.1 d-man (but is because our defense is crap) and we got prucha who doesnt even get the icetime he deserves.
the rest is ahl material, at best.

jason krog? blair betts?

if you wanna blame someone , blame renney hes not only responsible for the lineup, hes also responsible for this lousy stat of mind this teams in.

you are blaming jagr because he floats, why dont you blame nylander for being a primadonna in the d-zone stickhandling and deking three guys and almost giving the puck away?

the sky is falling, rangers wont make the playoffs...

one would think youd learn how to lose but all we hear is these rants.

why dont you ask yourself for the possible reasons jagr might be lazy? or why nylander doesnt learn how to make a clear play instead of dancing like a figureskater in his own end?

if i was on this team id probably be the exact same.. cash in my money and do whatever the **** i want, what do i have to fear? renney?
this team doesnt respect this idiot, and for a reason.

You're right this is a very flawed team. It's best players are:

A notoriously moody 34 who's not healthy.

A 38 guy who plays all-out every shift and consequently is wearing down.

A second year goalie who is battling a sophmore slump (at least sophmore inconsistencies).

A defensemen who is still not playing with full confidence every shift.

A second year scorer who is having a tough second season.

The team is made up of 4-6 defensemen.

The team is devoid of scoring on it's bottom two lines.

Look at these circumstances and you blame the coach? I don't get it.

02-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Chimp

I can't understand this "extremely inconsistent" and "sophomore year" talk about Lundqvist. He had a bad first quarter of the season and then he still played good. He had a small slump after a hot streak and after that he has been solid as a rock. That's a very normal scheme for any goaltender or any player.

This was the first loss this season where you can solely blame the loss on Lundqvist due to a weak performance (last period). He gave up one game, how many games have the team in front of him given up this season? If he hadn't lost focus in the 3rd, Hasek would have been blamed for a loss instead.

To you, it sounds like he is as solid as a plastic bag filled with acid. I know you're upset after yet another 3rd period choke, but hold your horses. What does it take not to be a "sophomore goaltender" around here? A Vezina nomination again, behind this team? Yeah, right.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
are you guys even reading/listening to what you are saying?

you are blaming ONE player for all this mess?

id rather blame the guy who is responsible for the attitude/product and lineup on the ice that shows up every single game.
youve gotta be kidding me.

now because one user decides to let his anger out on one player everyone agrees to jump on the "bash the jag" bandwaggon?

im sorry but thats just plain stupid.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

A second year goalie who is battling a sophmore slump (at least sophmore inconsistencies).

Going into this season we had:

a goalie coming off of one of the best rookie seasons in Rangers History.

a guy who broke the Rangers goal scoring record, and points record.

a rookie who broke the rangers rookie record for pp goals, and who had 30 goals in less than a full seasons worth of games.

a guy coming off of a 40 goal season

2 guys coming fresh off of stanley cup wins.

And you DONT blame the coach? Renneys been given a HECK of a lot more than 90% of the coaches in the NHL, and is making just about the least you can make of it.

Sorry, Renney is probably the biggest reason weve missed the playoffs this year.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
I can't understand this "extremely inconsistent" and "sophomore year" talk about Lundqvist. He had a bad first quarter of the season and then he still played good. He had a small slump after a hot streak and after that he has been solid as a rock.

This was the first loss this season where you can solely blame the loss on Lundqvist due to a weak performance (last period). He gave up one game, how many games have the team in front of him given up this season? If he hadn't lost focus in the 3rd, Hasek would have been blamed for a loss instead.

To you, it sounds like he is as solid as a plastic bag filled with acid. I know you're upset after yet another 3rd period choke, but hold your horses.
I assume you're talking to me.

I love Lundqvist and I truly believe he is the goalie of the preseant and future for this team.

That said, he has been inconsistent this season. He makes the spectacular save. They gives up a softy. He has not been challenging shooters like he did last season. He is fighting the puck rather than "being there and being square".

By and large he gave his team a chance to win every night last year. He has not done that every game this year. That's inconsistent.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrAlfie

Quote:

yes i blame the coach because we have the players in the system that just arent getting their fair chances , instead he plays guys like krog and orr, who just got kicked out of the lineup.
yes i blame the coach.
he happened to be the coach last year when we miraculusly (sp?) made the playoffs, and thats the bonus he gets around here.
i really dont get it how someone can think renney is the right guy

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
are you guys even reading/listening to what you are saying?

you are blaming ONE player for all this mess?

id rather blame the guy who is responsible for the attitude/product and lineup on the ice that shows up every single game.
youve gotta be kidding me.

now because one user decides to let his anger out on one player everyone agrees to jump on the "bash the jag" bandwaggon?

im sorry but thats just plain stupid.
Im placing the blame of this team sleep walking and playing weak hockey on the leader and most popular, highest paid, captain of this team. Yes, that I am doing. And he deserves every drop of blame I am giving him.

You blaming the coach for having such a flawed team is ridiculous.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:04 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

a rookie who broke the rangers rookie record for pp goals, and who had 30 goals in less than a full seasons worth of games.

And you DONT blame the coach? Renneys been given a HECK of a lot more than 90% of the coaches in the NHL, and is making just about the least you can make of it.

Sorry, Renney is probably the biggest reason weve missed the playoffs this year.

No, I don't blame Renney for that. Has he been great this season? No. But I can't think of one coach that would have a better chance for success with this team than Renney.

Renney did not build a team that is made up of 4-6 defensemen and is devoid of scoring on it's bottom two lines.

And if we are going to look to last season, we have a coach who was an Adams Trophey finalist. If Lundqvist, Jagr and Prucha are allowed to have bad seasons (and they are), why not the coach?

Old
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
MrAlfie

oh and if i may add something in general:

i know.. right now it seems like we are hating each other, but we are just having a heated discussion about our common passion , so if someone feels insulted/hurt in any way by what i say, dont take it personal. and if i already said something then i apologize.

Old
ThirdEye

Quote:
I can't understand this "extremely inconsistent" and "sophomore year" talk about Lundqvist. He had a bad first quarter of the season and then he still played good. He had a small slump after a hot streak and after that he has been solid as a rock.

To you, it sounds like he is as solid as a plastic bag filled with acid. I know you're upset after yet another 3rd period choke, but hold your horses.
It's probably because his contributions are overshadowed by losses every day. Therefore, instinctively, the blame will tend to circulate around him. No one is perfect out there, and we even saw Hasek **** up several times today. He has been as good as anyone on the Rangers this year, at least

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Balej20*

Quote:
oh and if i may add something in general:

i know.. right now it seems like we are hating each other, but we are just having a heated discussion about our common passion , so if someone feels insulted/hurt in any way by what i say, dont take it personal. and if i already said something then i apologize.
lol, I've liked you for a long time Alfie...I know how sports debates go..it doesn't carry over to a friendship. We're cool.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Chimp

Quote:
I assume you're talking to me.

I love Lundqvist and I truly believe he is the goalie of the preseant and future for this team.

That said, he has been inconsistent this season. He makes the spectacular save. They gives up a softy. He has not been challenging shooters like he did last season. He is fighting the puck rather than "being there and being square".

By and large he gave his team a chance to win every night last year. He has not done that every game this year. That's inconsistent.
And my answer to that is, last season, we had at least decent defense. They still weren't good, but they helped him better. Any goaltender needs at least decent defense to be able to perform on his level and feel secure and confident.

You can't "be there" for a team every game with a mostly horrible defense. Sometimes, but not always. WHEN they've played decent defense though in stretches, Lundqvist's numbers have dramatically improved (of course).

I would really like someone with the energy to actually count all these softies that everybody remember in such big numbers this season. If actually counted, I truly believe they are alot fewer than people think. The count on all the pinball goals off own D-mens' skates would also be interesting, those were alot last season also.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRONX_MADNESS View Post
bud those lines are brutal
whats brutal about them? thats not better than the current
straka-nylander-jagr (the do nothing lately line)
prucha-cullen-shanahan (if shanny doesnt score no one scores)
hossa-betts-ortmeyer
hollweg-krog-hall

and the last 2 lines did nothing

id rather see shanhan play with a center who can create scoring opportunites for him, i want prucha to be given more time and that first line to be broken up because they just arent working, and that 3rd line has avery, cullen, and ortmeyer all can skate, avery and cullen can score, and they all can hit

that 4th line in betts, hollweg and hall could actually take more than one shift a period and no be a complete defensive liability

if thats brutal id love to hear your alternative because our current lines are not working

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:08 PM
MrAlfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Im placing the blame of this team sleep walking and playing weak hockey on the leader and most popular, highest paid, captain of this team. Yes, that I am doing. And he deserves every drop of blame I am giving him.

You blaming the coach for having such a flawed team is ridiculous.
like i said, this team COULD be much less flawed. and im not talking about sather making moves.
im talking about renney deciding whos in hartford and who is playing with the big club.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

I couldn't agree more!

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MrAlfie

Quote:
lol, I've liked you for a long time Alfie...I know how sports debates go..it doesn't carry over to a friendship. We're cool.
ok good.. you *******...

j/k... no really...

Old
Balej20*

Quote:
No, I don't blame Renney for that. Has he been great this season? No. But I can't think of one coach that would have a better chance for success with this team than Renney.

Renney did not build a team that is made up of 4-6 defensemen and is devoid of scoring on it's bottom two lines.
It's not just devoid of scoring on it's bottom two lines. It really only has 3 guys who can put the puck in the net. 2 of which have been in prolonged slumps since the 2nd month of the season.

What some of you are blaming Renney for is him not calling up prospects. That's not his call, that call comes from the man smoking the cigar in the luxury box.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Call a spade a spade.Lundqvist played like dog feces tonight.The Wings hit two posts(Lang,Filpulla)and one cross bar(Zetterberg)before the Rangers blew the 3-1 lead.So they were fortunate to be leading going into the 3rd period

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Call a spade a spade.Lundqvist played like dog feces tonight.The Wings hit two posts(Lang,Filpulla)and one cross bar(Zetterberg)before the Rangers blew the 3-1 lead.So they were fortunate to be leading going into the 3rd period
Lundqvist did play like poo tonight...but that doesn't excuse the rest of the team for shutting it down 10 minutes into the first period.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
And my answer to that is, last season, we had at least decent defense. They still weren't good, but they helped him better. Any goaltender needs at least decent defense to be able to perform on his level and feel secure and confident.

You can't "be there" for a team every game with a mostly horrible defense. Sometimes, but not always. WHEN they've played decent defense though in stretches, Lundqvist's numbers have dramatically improved (of course).
I think the defense is better this year.

Rozsival has been better this year than last year.

Tyutin has been better this year than last year.

Ward has been bette the Kaspar was last year.

Malik has been worse than he was last year.

Rachunek has been about the same as Strudwick.

Pock and Girardi have been better than Poti.

Regardless, you mentioned that it's not fair to say that Lundqvist has been inconsistent. He, himself, his performance, has not been as good night in and night out as it was last season.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Lundqvist did play like poo tonight...but that doesn't excuse the rest of the team for shutting it down 10 minutes into the first period.
Did they shut it down after 10 minutes?Dominik Hasek forgot the game started at 7:38 and he gave up two softies right off the bat.It was more of the Hasek and the Wings looking disinterested than the Rangers playing well in the first period

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:16 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Did they shut it down after 10 minutes?Dominik Hasek forgot the game started at 7:38 and he gave up two softies right off the bat.It was more of the Hasek and the Wings looking disinterested than the Rangers playing well in the first period
I'll give the Rangers credit for coming out with a little jump, and forcing some of the mistakes the Wings/Hasek made. But after 7 minutes or so, that was it.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:17 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:

Regardless, you mentioned that it's not fair to say that Lundqvist has been inconsistent. He, himself, his performance, has not been as good night in and night out as it was last season.
Gimme a break. The D this year has sucked beyone belief. Old Kasper who was gritty was much better then Ward. Rozival has been better, same a little bit with Tyutin, but thats about it. Everything else has taken a MAJOR step backward.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by g52 View Post
Gimme a break. The D this year has sucked beyone belief. Old Kasper who was gritty was much better then Ward. Rozival has been better, same a little bit with Tyutin, but thats about it. Everything else has taken a MAJOR step backward.
Sorry my opinion is so reprehensible to you.

Old
02-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Chimp

Quote:

I don't think looking at player for player will give any whole picture for how good the defense was (and I don't know how much I agree with it). I still think we have been awful this year in clearing the crease for example, while we held a better standard last season. They also were very good in shutting down the opposition in the 1st period, which very often got Lundqvist "into the zone" every game last season.

Looking at the extremely successful season Lundqvist had last season, I think it's unfair to compare this season with the last one and call it something like a "sophomore" season. If Lundqvist plays 10 season of NHL hockey for example, you are bound to have varieties, which will very much depend on the team in front of him. The team effort has been worse this season, it's as simple as that.

Is this season worse for Lundqvist than last season? Yes. Is it a slump? No. His numbers won't improve next year if the team doesn't improve its defense. He had softies last year as well and a hefty amount of pinball goals, but people seem to forget them since we were winning.

Last edited by Chimp: 02-05-2007 at 09:32 PM.