HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Universal Media Opinion: Bruins are SOFT....

Closed Thread

Old
01-31-2004, 01:46 AM
Ortdogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwunderlich
i must say i'm continually surprised folks expected mccarthy to be a fighting enforcer. has anyone been watching him?? for the past 5 or more years, mccarthy has been a 3rd-4th liner who won't hurt you defensively and has some scoring touch and was someone who, when he got 1st & 2nd line spot duty, would deliver. last year could have been considered an off year for mccarthy or a player who can't bring it any more (the same could have been said for simon). OC chose mccarthy and the rags chose simon.

blame mccarthy all you want. mccarthy was cheaper and OC thought he could rebound - OC was wrong.

furthurmore, say what you want about joe. i'll say this; if guerin and stumple are still on the team, we'd be seeing the thorton that led the team in points AND Pims. on THIS team, he simply can't afford to be off the ice.

doesn't anyone remember this place when joe was slashing, crosschecking, fighting mean sob. the rank and file HERE railed him for hurting the team by being off the ice and taking the occasional ill-advised penalty. now he's the entire reason the team is soft.

if ANYBODY should be leading by example it is Lapointe. frankly, from where i sit, and for the past month, he hasn't been the "finishing every check person" i saw earlier in the year.

if green ever comes back, green and lapointe are the ones who SHOULD be leading by example in terms of team tuffness. if they don't bring it, who will?? bergeron??

dont you think a line of knuble green lapointe would be a great 3rd line when greener comes back?? i wish grosek was healthy too, hes the gritty kind of player this team needs. although for some reason i have this feeling that if he was healthy he would be a scratch anyways.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:53 AM
bwunderlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrtDogg19
dont you think a line of knuble green lapointe would be a great 3rd line when greener comes back?? i wish grosek was healthy too, hes the gritty kind of player this team needs. although for some reason i have this feeling that if he was healthy he would be a scratch anyways.
LIKE IT

thorton-sammy-muzz
rolston-axe-bergeron
green-knuble-lapointe
donato-grosek-sammy2/hilbert?

ok so it still doesn't look tough - but at least it looks a little more like an nhl lineup. i want el corazon to make it too, but he can't be on a 3rd line in the playoffs ever.

Old
01-31-2004, 02:26 AM
sarge88

A further testament to this team toughness theory is the fact that during their last playoff win vs. Carolina, Wilson and Belanger especially, were pounding everything that moved. That was 2 huge men who could skate and would hit. Sure they, Wilson especially, could have been more consistent. But for that one series,they exemplified what Bruins hockey should be.

Old
01-31-2004, 05:54 AM
Duguay

Pay the price!

These big bodies must get involved. Don't blame Barry Melrose; he actually believes in this team. Just doing his job. He has pointed out many, many times when a Bruin should have finished his check - and didn't.

Philistines didn't pave the road, but the Chanaanites did. Goons aren't the answer. Tough hockey players that motivate immature, inexperienced lasse fare prima donna's are. Somebody must step up for f-sakes!

I don't care if Brian Rolston wants to preserve his manicure.

Old
01-31-2004, 07:38 AM
Mizral

I believe the problem is a problem of identity with Boston, and less a problem with personel. Management in general, but the coaching staff can also shoulder some of the blame on this one.

But if there was to be a personel issue, I would say it probobly lies mostly in two players. Murray & Rolston. Both big guys, both don't nearly take a body nearly enough.

I remember I was watching a B's game to see those two in particular, as I was hoping that should the B's fall out of contention, my Canucks would pick up one of these guys. I was under the impression that Rolston was like a better scoring Trevor Linden. But I see now that Rolston just doesn't play with much fire for his size. Same with Murray.

Thornton has a tendancy to go soft for times, but he cannot shoulder the load alone. I know some here want to give Thornton every responsability there is in hopes he has the gumption and the 'superstardom' to carry the team, but it has been evidant since January of last year he does not have this (yet?).

So I would say, the personel isn't bad, but coaching must get more out of Murray & Rolston in particular, and get the entire team playing with more spark in their steps.

Do you think part of it could be that the players just don't feel there's any point in trying in Boston, as they don't think they will ever get a winner there? This is mere speculation on my part, but the thought came to my mind.

Old
01-31-2004, 08:25 AM
misterjaggers

Rolston has nver been a physical player but he's an excellent skater with a very good work ethic who does alot of things well for this team. This team doesn't need him to become physical to compete.

Old
01-31-2004, 09:12 AM
Bruinguy
Here we are again!

Okay, I'm not going to throw around some insane trade idea but I wouldn't be surprised if a ******* (I really mean it because I hate the freakin' Leafs) like Darcy Tucker may be available. As much as I hate the guy, I'd love to see him playing his insane heart out in the spoked B. I've seen some posts over the last week or so that say Tyson Nash may be available as well. Exactly what this team needs, a bonafide in-your-face agitator. They wanted that type of player in Stock but it just didn't happen. Just a guy that will throw the top player of another team off his game.

Back to Tucker for a sec, unfortanately there are some players that just don't take as much pride wearing a Bruins jersey as they do say for example a Leafs jersey. How many players have you seen or heard (more so in the Toronto media) say they would love to play for the Leafs (Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Corson et al). I hate that team (have I said that enough yet?) but there are still players on them that I enjoy watching. Seeing a guy like Roberts take the punishment, dish out a lot more and just give 110% night in and night out gets me fired up. Those players are few and far between now. Come on, the Leafs have been without a cup for almost 37 years and players still want to be there. Boston is a few less years removed from a cup but have still come a lot closer than the Leafs over the years.

IMO the ownership and management have really disenchanted many players from signing here in the past 10 years or so. (Please pardon me if I'm echoing, repeating, babbling the thoughts of others but I've had a few drinks at this point of the night :p )

Thoughts, opinions? Am I really making any sense at this point of the night?

Old
01-31-2004, 12:50 PM
bb74

There are 3 fundamentals to playing physical.
1. Risk-Reward coaching - if the coach is more concerned about making mistakes and will bench guys for them as opposed to "constructive coaching" and risk taking where appropriate, the team's tone will be set for a "defensively responsible" team that "skates".
2. A Balanced Roster - you need to be able to ice a very balanced roster so that there is someone on the ice at all times to keep the physical element of the game in motion and not lose momentum. Almost all of the good teams have this balance across the roster and I would suggest that it is as important as having a balanced stay at home / offensive minded defensive pairing approach.
3. Character - they players need to have that inner fire and desire to play hard, physical hockey - not all of them but again, enough so that they may be spread across the roster and lines to have one of these guys on the ice at all times.

Old
01-31-2004, 01:50 PM
sarge88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinguy
Okay, I'm not going to throw around some insane trade idea but I wouldn't be surprised if a ******* (I really mean it because I hate the freakin' Leafs) like Darcy Tucker may be available. As much as I hate the guy, I'd love to see him playing his insane heart out in the spoked B. I've seen some posts over the last week or so that say Tyson Nash may be available as well. Exactly what this team needs, a bonafide in-your-face agitator. They wanted that type of player in Stock but it just didn't happen. Just a guy that will throw the top player of another team off his game.

Back to Tucker for a sec, unfortanately there are some players that just don't take as much pride wearing a Bruins jersey as they do say for example a Leafs jersey. How many players have you seen or heard (more so in the Toronto media) say they would love to play for the Leafs (Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Corson et al). I hate that team (have I said that enough yet?) but there are still players on them that I enjoy watching. Seeing a guy like Roberts take the punishment, dish out a lot more and just give 110% night in and night out gets me fired up. Those players are few and far between now. Come on, the Leafs have been without a cup for almost 37 years and players still want to be there. Boston is a few less years removed from a cup but have still come a lot closer than the Leafs over the years.

IMO the ownership and management have really disenchanted many players from signing here in the past 10 years or so. (Please pardon me if I'm echoing, repeating, babbling the thoughts of others but I've had a few drinks at this point of the night :p )

Thoughts, opinions? Am I really making any sense at this point of the night?
I know that this will make no sense to any NHL'er, but I have always held out hope that all the local guys who talk glowingly about how much they loved the B's when they were kids, would come play for them. Imagine a second line of Roenick, Tkachuk, Scott Young, and a third line of Bates (the good one, from the Isles) McEachern, Fitzgerald following Thornton, Sammy and whoever? I know it is unrealistic, just a dream of mine.

Old
01-31-2004, 03:59 PM
BruinsCupNow

To me, the "soft" issue is less about our forwards (though it is a problem with most). It's more about our defencemen.

Boynton lays the occasion boom, but not as consistently as last year. Morrisson is just a kid, and doesn't want to get caught out of position. Slegr is no tough guy. That leaves O'Donnell, Gill & McGillis. All are big...and are supposed to be good defensively. But NONE of them regularly project a physical presence. If/when the B's make a deal for a defenceman, one of those guys has to go for someone who will clear creases and intimidate a forward. In my view, it's even more important than a true offensive threat back there, at least in the short term.

--BCN

Old
01-31-2004, 06:59 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

It pains me to say it but the media is correct about this year's edition of the Boston Bruins. They are soft. They were soft last season and if nothing is done they'll be soft in future seasons. I don't want the B's to turn into a bunch of goons but I do want them to go back to playing Bruins hockey- tough & physical with no lack of effort. I'm not holding my breath though

Old
01-31-2004, 09:57 PM
The-Godfather

I know that this may be considered bashing but could it be as simple as the coach? Lapointe is very capable of physical play(maybe just not encouraged enough) Boynton has also shown the occasional grit (but maybe not rewarded enough by the coach). Joe used to play alot more physical (Under Keenan). O'Donnell shows signs of leadership and grit occasionally, again maybe just not rewarded enough. And at the risk of starting trouble if we still had stocker (you couldn't ask for much more physical play and grit) I think he would help tremendously as well. Mike Sullivan might make a good coach but he just doesn't have enough expirience at the NHL level. Just to make this post even more controversial why not bring in Teddy Nolan, or at least someone with passion and expirience. Sorry if rambling a bit had a few too many watching the game, but I feel the major point is correct, we need a more aggressive coach.

Closed Thread