HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: Barnaby may retire.

Old
02-05-2007, 03:10 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

vCash: 500
OT: Barnaby may retire.

appreciation thread?
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...04/2052141.asp

Quote:
The end finally appears near for Barnaby. The Dallas winger has had concussion problems since Jan. 9 that caused him to temporarily lose vision in his left eye, a scare serious enough for him to ponder retirement. He's not about to hang up his skates quite yet, but it's possible he's already played his last game.
Quote:
He lost vision in his left eye for about 15 minutes on Dec. 14 after a fight with New York Rangers center Ryan Hollweg. He couldn't see for 30 minutes after brawling with Anaheim's Shawn Thornton about week later. It happened again Jan. 9, this time for 45 minutes, after a bout with Phoenix's Josh Gratton.
he was great for us and probably loved by all his fans, hated by all his rivals. Even playing on the same team as one of his biggest rivals turned the two into great friends (Lindros) so much that I'm sure it had something to do with the two signing in Dallas together.

Here's to Matt!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:16 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
appreciation thread?
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...04/2052141.asp

he was great for us and probably loved by all his fans, hated by all his rivals. Even playing on the same team as one of his biggest rivals turned the two into great friends (Lindros) so much that I'm sure it had something to do with the two signing in Dallas together.

Here's to Matt!
agreed, I liked Barnaby, Lindros and Simon when they were here.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I just sent the same article from SI.COM to Wheresbarnaby lol. Sucks to hear he was definitly one of my favorite Rangers and players in general, just because when he was on the ice you never knew what he would do lol.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:22 PM
hlundqvist30*

Barnaby was a beast back in the day. He is one of the guys the Rangers could really use right now. The guy didn't skate around the ice like a headless chicken looking to just hit whatever he saw, like Hollweg. The guy did everything. He checked, he passedf, he stuck up for his guys without taking an idiotic penalty at the same time, and when he did take a penalty it had the reverse effect of what a penalty was supposed to do. He could score, he most importantly got the crowd into it. How many guys other than Shanahan can you say this about on this team?

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:37 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Barnaby was a beast back in the day. He is one of the guys the Rangers could really use right now. The guy didn't skate around the ice like a headless chicken looking to just hit whatever he saw, like Hollweg. The guy did everything. He checked, he passedf, he stuck up for his guys without taking an idiotic penalty at the same time, and when he did take a penalty it had the reverse effect of what a penalty was supposed to do. He could score, he most importantly got the crowd into it. How many guys other than Shanahan can you say this about on this team?
you said it perfectly.

This loss is just another step away from what hockey is supposed to be about. There will be no other player like Barnaby to replace him.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:40 PM
kasparaitis666

It makes sense for him. Besides Dallas has that new kid Barch who has been fighting anyone that even looks at him wrong, he has had 6 fights in the last 8 games...

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:50 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

A couple of Barnaby clips not the best but the best I could find real quick:

PJ Stock vs Barnaby, notice the taunting during the fight lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ec4sIvGqOY

Burrows vs. Barnaby:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKxpwVDS5s0

Barnaby and Nolan, dont mind the last part of the clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9hDJeTThl0

Barnaby and Tucker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKleGMoxFFo

Barnaby and Keane:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1r2IiHKe3o

Old
02-05-2007, 04:03 PM
Block More Shots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RalYe_4WTE

Flyers/Sabres Brawl in 1996 with Barnaby involved...goalie fight as well.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting for Dubi View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RalYe_4WTE

Flyers/Sabres Brawl in 1996 with Barnaby involved...goalie fight as well.
I was looking for that one, glad someone found it

Old
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Edge

He'll always be remembered for being a pain in the ass and dropping the gloves but it often gets overlooked that he was a pretty good player too.

Had he played in the high-scoring 80's he easily would've been a 20-25 goal scorer.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:15 PM
SML

I will always have a spot for Matthew Barnaby. In a dark, bleak time in Rangers history, Matthew Barnaby did his best to represent the New York Rangers. There wasn't alot of winning going on, but he wore the sweater with pride. He seemed like the only guy truly happy to be here. He has a ton of personality, and the game will be a little less fun without him if he has to retire. I really like this guy and hope he can catch on with someone doing color commentary if he wants to. If that Tomato can Rob Ray can, then it can't be that hard. I'm not sold on Michelletti, bring Matty into the booth with Sam!

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I will always have a spot for Matthew Barnaby. In a dark, bleak time in Rangers history, Matthew Barnaby did his best to represent the New York Rangers. There wasn't alot of winning going on, but he wore the sweater with pride. He seemed like the only guy truly happy to be here. He has a ton of personality, and the game will be a little less fun without him if he has to retire. I really like this guy and hope he can catch on with someone doing color commentary if he wants to. If that Tomato can Rob Ray can, then it can't be that hard. I'm not sold on Michelletti, bring Matty into the booth with Sam!
It would be the MSG version of the Odd Couple lol.

Old
02-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

I fear for Sam's health if Barney were to get the color job.

Barnaby was a good Ranger during an awful time to be a Ranger,
so he'll be talk about as a saint until forever...

I still pine about George Mcphee & Bob Brooke

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 05:51 PM
XploD

Barnaby is a legend in my eyes. <3

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:05 PM
StartLundqvist

Barnaby was always a top 3 favorite Ranger of mine when he was on the team. I wish him good luck.

StartLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:34 PM
Off The Wire

A true warrior.

Off The Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:28 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Barney was a warrior. Tough guy who never backed down from anyone and played the game the way it should be played. Too bad Barch had to take his job. Always be a place for you here Barney

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
It's too bad he has to go out like this, but that loss of vision stuff is pretty scary.

I never heard of this Barch guy until I read this thread. I'll have to check out more Stars highlights.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:12 PM
Edge

Barch was a kid I was pretty familiar with from his OHL days. I really liked him in the 98 draft, though I didn't expect him to take this long to find his niche.

His big claim to fame was probably that he was mentioned in an ESPN article from 1998 after getting his teeth knocked out by Manny Malhotra in a fight.

He reminds me a lot of a bigger Nick Kypreos. Wasn't really an enforcer for his junior team, did a fair amount of scoring but wasn't going to get by with that at the pro level so he essentially had to "make" himself a fighter. If you follow his career you'll see it didn't really happen till he was 24 and running out of chances to turn himself into a player.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:13 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Loved Barnaby. I wouldn't have minded him here the past two seasons before the injuries kicked in.

We'll miss you Matt

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Barney was a warrior. Tough guy who never backed down from anyone and played the game the way it should be played. Too bad Barch had to take his job. Always be a place for you here Barney
In many ways it's amazing he lasted this long. He was a 6'0, 185 pound scrawny kid who went out of way to make the Probert's, etc. of the world angry enough to want to pulverize him.

He was nuts in his younger days and it's kind of amazing that he was still skating at 33/34 to begin with. Unfortunatly something like this almost seems inevitable with the style he played and getting pounded like he often did.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:22 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
In many ways it's amazing he lasted this long. He was a 6'0, 185 pound scrawny kid who went out of way to make the Probert's, etc. of the world angry enough to want to pulverize him.

He was nuts in his younger days and it's kind of amazing that he was still skating at 33/34 to begin with. Unfortunatly something like this almost seems inevitable with the style he played and getting pounded like he often did.
Yep. Hopefully we'll be saying this after Hollwegs career is over

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Barch was a kid I was pretty familiar with from his OHL days. I really liked him in the 98 draft, though I didn't expect him to take this long to find his niche.

His big claim to fame was probably that he was mentioned in an ESPN article from 1998 after getting his teeth knocked out by Manny Malhotra in a fight.

He reminds me a lot of a bigger Nick Kypreos. Wasn't really an enforcer for his junior team, did a fair amount of scoring but wasn't going to get by with that at the pro level so he essentially had to "make" himself a fighter. If you follow his career you'll see it didn't really happen till he was 24 and running out of chances to turn himself into a player.
Krys Barch...the wanna-be Kris Beech. That's how I always viewed him

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Can you picture a whole team of Banrnaby's skating around

'Always be a place for you here Barney'

You're not speaking for the whole team are you?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote