HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Sean Day - Mississauga Steelheads, OHL (2016 Draft)

Old
02-03-2014, 09:04 PM
Torts

vCash: 500
As a Steelheads fan, I enjoy watching Sean game in and game out, there's been his ups and downs this year.

But I have to think. What could have been if he didn't get exceptional status and joined a GTHL team like the Marlies. Would his development have been stunted or slowed down? Just wondering.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:12 PM
youppi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
As a Steelheads fan, I enjoy watching Sean game in and game out, there's been his ups and downs this year.

But I have to think. What could have been if he didn't get exceptional status and joined a GTHL team like the Marlies. Would his development have been stunted or slowed down? Just wondering.
I am not sure anything could have been gained playing minor midget. He still would not have learned how to defend, I would bet that taking his lumps against older kids has been the best for him. If he waited until next year he still wouldn't know how to play in his own zone.

youppi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 01:36 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by youppi2 View Post
I am not sure anything could have been gained playing minor midget. He still would not have learned how to defend, I would bet that taking his lumps against older kids has been the best for him. If he waited until next year he still wouldn't know how to play in his own zone.
Agreed, his skating outgrew the rinks he was playing on, playing minor midget again would have been a waste of time, imo. Playing against OHL talent can only help him get better. He has fit in quite well this year. Looks well beyond his age.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:03 AM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
His plus minus stat, tells a very accurate story right now. His defensive zone play is below average right now. Lack of compete, stop's skating and just watches as chaos increases around him. Its actually quite puzzling to watch at times the situations that are happening and he doesnt seem to mind at all. Little urgency when the puck is in dangerous spots. He comes to life when his team has possession though but needs to grow his game in his own zone, no question about it.
No question he has room to improve, and I see what Mapleleaf is describing, but I also note for the last 6 weeks he has been mainly neutral (he was -26 on Dec 22 and is -30 now) even though the rest of the team has dropped significantly. For example JW is also -30 and he was something like -5 in early January, SL is -14 since joining the team in the Carrick deal, the forwards have also dropped a lot in the last month.

WhoisJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:29 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 492
Finished the season with only 16 points and being a -35.

Is it fair to say his season was a disappointment?

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:30 PM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...=&status=stats

Just look what kinda team he plays in. Stats scouting is not very good way to judge him.

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:

Depends how much you expected him to do on a bad team while playing defense at 15 years old.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 03:41 PM
jigglysquishy

He did finish 2nd worst on his team in +/- while being 3rd in d-man points.

Compare that to Ekblad who finished 1st in d-man scoring while being 8th in +/-.

Old
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:

Compare that to Ekblad who finished 1st in d-man scoring while being 8th in +/-.
+/- is a stupid stat.

OHL Coaches ranked him as one of the best skaters in the league.

I'd think coaches would be a better base of talent evaluation than mere stats.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:

Why is Day's rookie season being compared to Ekblad's 3rd year in the league? If you want to make a comparison between the two, at least compare Day to Ekblad's rookie year.

Ekblad had 29 points and was a -5 in his rookie season. He also played on a team that finished 3rd in the Eastern Conference, scored 248 goals, and was a collective +38 as a team. Day had 16 points and was a -35, but on a team that finished 8th in the Eastern Conference, scored a paltry 167 goals, and was a collective -100.

You can't just compare their numbers straight up without taking into consideration the team they played on as rookies.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Passchendaele

He can skate, but can he do anything else?

I swear, that's the only positive I've heard about him, you'd think he's the second coming of Rico Fata.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Why is Day's rookie season being compared to Ekblad's 3rd year in the league? If you want to make a comparison between the two, at least compare Day to Ekblad's rookie year.

Ekblad had 29 points and was a -5 in his rookie season. He also played on a team that finished 3rd in the Eastern Conference, scored 248 goals, and was a collective +38 as a team. Day had 16 points and was a -35, but on a team that finished 8th in the Eastern Conference, scored a paltry 167 goals, and was a collective -100.

You can't just compare their numbers straight up without taking into consideration the team they played on as rookies.
My comparison was to Ekblad's rookie season.

Old
03-20-2014, 05:15 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
My comparison was to Ekblad's rookie season.
The part where you said Ekblad lead his defense in scoring threw me off, because Ryan O'Connor was the leading D-man scorer for the Colts that year.

Also, that doesn't negate the rest of what I wrote. Different circumstances. You can't expect a kid who plays on a vastly inferior team to compete, stat-wise, with a kid who plays on one of the better teams in the conference.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:52 PM
jigglysquishy

But you can expect them to compete to their team.

8th worst +- on a great team is better than 2nd worst on a bad team.

Old
03-20-2014, 07:29 PM
WhoisJohnGalt

Quote:
But you can expect them to compete to their team.

8th worst +- on a great team is better than 2nd worst on a bad team.

According to the Missy coaches he has the best +\- on the team since Christmas. The entire team sank like a stone on this stat in the 2nd half. Day went from -26 to -35. In the same time period Walsh went from +3 to -38. LeBlanc was + when he joined the team in the Carrick trade - he also dropped hard in the second half. The team scored the fewest goals in the league. Hard for any of these guys to not be negative when there are few even strength goals being scored

WhoisJohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 07:32 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I thought he played fine this year. But he didn't scream 'exceptional status' to me like the others who got it have.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
He can skate, but can he do anything else?
Yes.

For a 15/16 year old, he's actually quite decent at using his body and size defensively. He's already decently physical in the open ice and along the boards. He needs to get more assertive/confident in front of the net, but I think the fact that he's already initiating contact quite frequently is a plus.

He also transitions to offense so quickly and is terrific at evading the forecheck. Once he gets possession, the puck rarely stays in his own end.

The offensive confidence is what he lacks currently, in order to put up points and be more noticeable to the casual fan. He's not quite at the point where he'll take it end to end and be aggressive in jumping up in the play. He's currently content with skating the puck out of his own end, then trying to make a strong breakout pass. His shot and ability to run the point on the powerplay are also a work in progress.

I was honestly impressed with him defensively this year (in the same way I was with Ekblad in his "exceptional" year). I don't care what his +/- says.

Old
03-20-2014, 10:36 PM
hockeykid87

Are people really comparing +/- from Day's rookie season to Ekblad's rookie season? Really?

Steelheads barely made the playoffs. 14 games below .500 and a -100 goal differential.

Meanwhile the Colts had 40 wins and a +38 goal differential in Ekblad's rookie season.

Come on people

hockeykid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

vCash: 820
Stat scouts are funny. Watch the games people.

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:56 AM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Why are people even using +/-. It's not taken seriously by anyone in the NHL, why would it be in the OHL?

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Very hard to evaluate this kid on that team. Almost impossible.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 07:34 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

I wonder how people would perceive him if he got picked by Erie.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 09:17 AM
jigglysquishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoisJohnGalt View Post
According to the Missy coaches he has the best +\- on the team since Christmas. The entire team sank like a stone on this stat in the 2nd half. Day went from -26 to -35. In the same time period Walsh went from +3 to -38. LeBlanc was + when he joined the team in the Carrick trade - he also dropped hard in the second half. The team scored the fewest goals in the league. Hard for any of these guys to not be negative when there are few even strength goals being scored
Is Mississauga looking like they'll have a stronger team next year?

Old
03-21-2014, 11:02 AM
SethJonestownMassacr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
Are people really comparing +/- from Day's rookie season to Ekblad's rookie season? Really?

Steelheads barely made the playoffs. 14 games below .500 and a -100 goal differential.

Meanwhile the Colts had 40 wins and a +38 goal differential in Ekblad's rookie season.

Come on people
No, it's one guy.

SethJonestownMassacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:56 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Yes.

For a 15/16 year old, he's actually quite decent at using his body and size defensively. He's already decently physical in the open ice and along the boards. He needs to get more assertive/confident in front of the net, but I think the fact that he's already initiating contact quite frequently is a plus.

He also transitions to offense so quickly and is terrific at evading the forecheck. Once he gets possession, the puck rarely stays in his own end.

The offensive confidence is what he lacks currently, in order to put up points and be more noticeable to the casual fan. He's not quite at the point where he'll take it end to end and be aggressive in jumping up in the play. He's currently content with skating the puck out of his own end, then trying to make a strong breakout pass. His shot and ability to run the point on the powerplay are also a work in progress.

i

I was honestly impressed with him defensively this year (in the same way I was with Ekblad in his "exceptional" year). I don't care what his +/- says.

i only watched him in the u-17 and i agree 100% with your account.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote