HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Sean Avery Traded to Rangers!

Old
02-05-2007, 09:46 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
The Rangers may have seen enough development from the likes of Hillier, Kveton and Zaborsky, who all have more offensive talent than Cliche. And, with the likes of Callahan, Byers and Korpikoski developing in Hartford, and still having 1st and 2nd round picks in a draft considered deep, but, not top heavy, they must feel Cliche is replaceable, when the opportunity to get a 26-years-old sandpaper-type, with some offensive upside, becomes available.
Exactly. And you left out Anisimov, Pyatt, Russell, Dupont (or were you only listing wings?), not to mention Moore, Graham and Jessiman who are all power players that might develop late. Also, don't forget M.A. plays wing, where we have more than enough parts, and Avery is primarily a C (but can play all three positions). For everyone who's decrying the deal - do you really think that Cliche is that far above the level of all those others in his way/competing with him?

Don't get me wong, I liked Cliche, but you have to give to get and it's not like we sacrificed a guy that ANYONE thought was going to be a 1st liner. We were all hoping he would surprise to be a 2nd liner! So we gave up a decent prospect, a spare part and a prima donna who didn't want to be here for a young center who has Darcy Tucker upside. Not saying he's going to get there (although I for one think he's got a shot), but we certainly did NOT overpay and he's only 26 so you cannot complain about sacrificing the rebuild either.

Needless to say, I love this move. See, TBBB, THIS is the kind of physical player I can appreciate.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:52 PM
st bonnies*

Good deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Avery is on a one year deal, RFA after this year.

Im going to kill myself

My second favorite team trades my LEAST favorite player in the NHL to my favorite team.

Im gonna be dead soon.
ITS A GOOD TEADE. AVERY WILL BRING NEW YORK SOMETOUGHNESS THAT THEY LACK. HE S THE TYPE OF PLAYER THAT TEAMS HATE TO PLAY AGAINST....THEY NEED GUYS TO PROTECT THERE SKILL PLAYERS.......I LIKE THIS DEAL FOR THE RANGERS ALOT....IT WILL BE ONLY THE BEGINNING

st bonnies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

At first i did not like the deal, but now i am excited because im sure Shanny had something to do with it, to me that changes things a bit, because it shows there is a plan here.

Plus the most important thing to me is that these types of players, at this age dont come around that often. He can fight and hit, and help put the puck in the net, something this team needs. And hes young.

He might inject some life into the building because theres a bunch of home games left and the Rangers really need the crowd on their side. Tonight was disgraceful. I dont even want to get into it.

I'm also worried about Cliche, but youve got to give to get. I have no problem moving Ward, though i liked his heart. To me, he was getting stale, like Betts is.

But i really hope the Refs dont target him and Hollweg. (though seeing he draws penalties is nice. But too bad there isnt a good PP to back it up!)

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 09:59 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB View Post
From an LA Kings fan:

You're going to LOVE Sean Avery.

The guy hustles every shift 110%

Above all else, hasn't the "lack of hustle factor" been the big complaint here all season. I love the deal. Thanks for the info CBGB.

The thing that scares me is it's about 10 to 1 in favor of the deal.

Is Betts going to give up #19 ?

The other thing too. There's something to be said for a player who is NHL proven as opposed to a good prospect. If it ends up coming down to Ward for Avery it's a great deal.

Last edited by abev: 02-05-2007 at 10:15 PM.
abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:22 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I hope he plays tomorrow.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Son of Steinbrenner

Sather paid fair value...

Avery adds something to this team but he isn't a 2nd line center.

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
in the hall

The impact of Avery..

ok I'm not in love with the deal.. but I found the comments posted in this thread funny

posted in the anaheim board

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...74#post7930274

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Marcel is doing very well this year. I'm one of his biggest supporters here though. I'd say about 25% of Ranger fans like him or tolerate him. The other 75% want him gone for "youth" which makes no sense since Hossa is young himself.
i don't like him, but i will give him credit since this year he's played well for a fourth liner

i'd still rather see him gone even if he's young, i dont see him being more than what he is and we have so many farm players that can take his role and possibly show more

also part of why i don't like him is renney's love affair with him.. so its not all marcel's fault

Old
02-05-2007, 10:33 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Poor Islanders fans, now they get to deal with Avery everytime they play the Rangers.
LOL

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 10:42 PM
True Blue Bleed Blue

I think he can light a fire under this team. North American...gritty...passionate....trash talking. Maybe he can start firing up the troops. I bet it's only a matter of time til he/Hall/Hollweg/Ortmeyer/Orr are best of friends. Similar styles...north americans....young...

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Block More Shots

I like the trade but we need to start winning some games.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:11 PM
salami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
IMO he is here to play on the 2nd line. There's not a doubt in my mind that he has the offensive potential to be a Tucker-esque player in the NHL.

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAHAAA

Signed,

Those who have seen him play.

ENJOY YOUR CANCER!

salami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
salami

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post

I don't want to be the person that always bashes everything the Rangers do. Sean Avery unlike many agitators, has ACTUAL hockey skills.
He's got the speed to create breakaways....and nothing else. The guy doesn't have the hands to finish.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by salami View Post
He's got the speed to create breakaways....and nothing else. The guy doesn't have the hands to finish.
He might have the hands to be a 30 goal player, but netting 15 goals and 40 points as an agitator isn't very common.

It depends on what the expectations are.

If someone is expecting him to be a star forward than he's going to disappointment. But as a third line forward, his combination is pretty rare.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:32 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Decent trade.

Avery - is only 26. He's an RFA and has yet to hit his prime. He should be able to be resign for ~$2M so our cap hit will be reasonable. We've also got in place some leaders (Shanny - they must have played together in Detroit) that can really help him focus his game. Not to mention help muzzle him. If he can focus his chatter and show-boating he'll elevate his agitating reputation in good ways. Not sure if he's a good plug to bridge the time between now and when Dubinsky is ready for 2nd line duty. Or if he's gonna be THAT good that he becomes our 2nd line center. Either way, isn't that win win? Adds grit and another mid-weight fighter who has hustle, heart, and skates. We filled a few wholes and didn't give up much that we don't have.

Seymour - huh? Throw in. Haven't a clue why though. Is he like a skating goon?

Cliche - I see him as a 2nd tops. maybe 3rd. we have lots of those. Plus, he just got a concussion. Probably minor but that's never a good thing to have on your injury history.

Marek - he could be a good good player but he could also never sign with an NHL team. This one might hurt like Marek Zidlicky or it can be one of those things that becomes part of a trivia question.

Ward - again, we have plenty of his type. Good luck to him. He made a name for himself as a checking center in his two years with us.

BTW - all salary info can be found at http://www.nhlnumbers.com/

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:37 PM
salami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
He might have the hands to be a 30 goal player, but netting 15 goals and 40 points as an agitator isn't very common.

It depends on what the expectations are.

If someone is expecting him to be a star forward than he's going to disappointment. But as a third line forward, his combination is pretty rare.
Ok, but the majority of his goals came when he was bumped up to the first line due to injuries and played with the likes of Frolov and Camalleri. He'll suffer on the Rangers third line.

Like I said, enjoy your cancer.

BTW, I'm a Kings season ticket holder. Barring a few, I've seen every game he's played as a King. If any of the guys coming west can skate and chew gum at the same time, your team got hosed.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Kingswin

rangers got hosed.. You would of been hosed even if you got him for free...no hands to finish... bricks

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Hosed? Not sure.

I see this as Sather trying to bring in the kind of emotional catalyst the team had last year when Kasparaitis was still playing solid hockey.

If that happens, the Rangers could well still make the playoffs.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Is Betts going to give up #19 ?
No, Avery is wearing #16.

He wore #19 because of Steve Yzerman, and apparently Hull was his childhood idol.

there's the answer to the question nobody asked.

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
rangers got hosed.. You would of been hosed even if you got him for free...no hands to finish... bricks
as has been said SO many times.. for a grinder, 10 goals is more than you would ask for

also don't take it personally if we don't take your king's fan opinion very seriously on this one

Old
02-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
Clearly you haven't followed the exploits of Jason Ward.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:46 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Ok, but the majority of his goals came when he was bumped up to the first line due to injuries and played with the likes of Frolov and Camalleri. He'll suffer on the Rangers third line.
yeah, no chance he'll get any top-six minutes because the Rangers are swimming in 2nd liners...

Thirty One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:

Like I said, enjoy your cancer.

BTW, I'm a Kings season ticket holder. Barring a few, I've seen every game he's played as a King. If any of the guys coming west can skate and chew gum at the same time, your team got hosed.
Thing is even if he scores 10 goals and 30 points we have nothing like him right now.

Considering what we gave up (a salvation project who seemingly had a career year last year, an aging European prospect who we can't get to come over and a nice potential second/third liner) I'll take my chances.

Now if we moved Ryan Callahan, Nigel Dawes or Fedor Tyutin I'd be livid. But the best player the Rangers gave up is no less than two years away and probably figures to be a third liner himself/borderline second liner.

Old
02-05-2007, 11:50 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
yeah, no chance he'll get any top-six minutes because the Rangers are swimming in 2nd liners...
I laughed...

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:56 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
we are?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote