HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Callahan

Old
02-02-2014, 02:19 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I'd take Brassard for Stewart. Anyone else? I wish we could've traded for Anisimov or RyJo.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2014, 02:39 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I don't believe Callahan is really being shopped. I think this is all salary negotiation. The NY media knows way too much detail about what he's been offered and what he wants. They're a ways apart, but not so far apart that he'd really be traded over it. I think we'll see him re-signing a multi-year deal, even if its after the Olympic break.

The fact that mentions of Stewart came up, just makes me think that teams know he's being shopped if a favorable trade can be found. But I don't really see that as likely to happen before the offseason.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:33 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityRumble View Post
For what it's worth, there is nothing to indicate that the Blues would be interested in Callahan. The original rumor was that NYR were interested in Stewart, and that Dreger thought Callahan for Stewart would be a good deal for the Blues.

I don't think Callahan would make a big enough difference, coming from another team and trying to fit the system before his contract runs out.

Re-signing him seems out of the question, considering his pay-raise would take vital cap space away from Schwartz & Tarasenko's future deals and would present serious redundancy with Oshie. It would also jeopardize any Miller & Stastny opportunities.

I don't think Stewart is anywhere bad enough to knee-jerk replace him for a question mark, at least in the moment. Ride him as tertiary scoring and if he doesn't pan out bench him and replace him with Jaskin over the off-season.

Besides that, if he makes it to UFA the Blues can still trade Stewart to the NYR but for more assets that do not include Callahan.

I wonder if NYR still inflate their hit stats.
I think Callahan would be a good addition to the Blues for a playoff run. I would much rather add him then Miller at this point. HOWEVER, he would be only a rental and not... Not someone I would sign to a long term deal. He wouldn't get the playing time to justify his contract.

I know we need a center and Legwand is being tossed around, but I would bet the Preds are going to resign him. For a team w./o offense - trading one of your top 2 centers for futures makes little sense - especially considering the lack of quality centers in the UFA pool this coming year.

I really think Stewart would be moved in the offseason like everyone else here believes. And I also think NY would be the place to send him - just not to the Rangers. The Islanders may be the team to trade him too. They are looking at another top 10 first rounder and they may be willing to move that pick for legit NHL scoring. Stewart would give them that.

As much as he gets a lot of flack here, he has very good offensive tools - underrated play making ability. I think he has more trade value then we give him credit for.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 06:40 PM
carter333167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I think Callahan would be a good addition to the Blues for a playoff run. I would much rather add him then Miller at this point. HOWEVER, he would be only a rental and not... Not someone I would sign to a long term deal. He wouldn't get the playing time to justify his contract.

I know we need a center and Legwand is being tossed around, but I would bet the Preds are going to resign him. For a team w./o offense - trading one of your top 2 centers for futures makes little sense - especially considering the lack of quality centers in the UFA pool this coming year.

I really think Stewart would be moved in the offseason like everyone else here believes. And I also think NY would be the place to send him - just not to the Rangers. The Islanders may be the team to trade him too. They are looking at another top 10 first rounder and they may be willing to move that pick for legit NHL scoring. Stewart would give them that.

As much as he gets a lot of flack here, he has very good offensive tools - underrated play making ability. I think he has more trade value then we give him credit for.
I'd prefer a Miller rental to a Callahan rental....just b/c I believe that goaltender is perhaps the most important position in the playoffs.

That said, I also really like the idea of getting an early first round pick for Stewart in the offseason if we thought it was possible.

carter333167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:08 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post

I think the Isles gave up their first as part of the Vanek deal.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I think the Isles gave up their first as part of the Vanek deal.
It's either a 2014 or 2015 pick based on what the Islander's decide to choose. So they could trade their 1st this year for Stewart, and then have their 2015 pick go to the Sabres. I don't think Stewart will net a top 10 pick though.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote