HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Potential top 5 pick

Old
02-05-2007, 02:10 PM
dumpsathernow*

vCash: 500
Potential top 5 pick

Scary, that when I looked at the standing today, trading a few players for picks and prospects could easily cause us to land in the lottery. Sad, but that would be the best thing for us at this point. Perhaps they will actually draft a big time offensive player and not another goalie.

Not that they can't move Montoya now for a big time offensive prospect. They probably can. However, the Rangers have fallen in love with drafting lesser talented forwards who work hard. That's nice to do once in a while but not consistently.

I hated the Korpikoski pick. I wanted Wolski and was screaming for him. What a mistake that pick was. Korpikoski will be lucky to be a 15 G 20 A NHL pro.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:15 PM
Fletch

The funny thing about the standings...

they're a couple points out of a lottery, and a couple points from the playoffs.

As for Korps - a 15 goal player out of him may be a home run. I keep saying that his lack of developing offense is because he's young. I don't think I'll still be able to give that excuse next season. Hopefully that side of the equation begins to improve as you do not take a guy in the first round, let alone trade-up for that guy, if he's going to be a fourth liner.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
Scary, that when I looked at the standing today, trading a few players for picks and prospects could easily cause us to land in the lottery. Sad, but that would be the best thing for us at this point. Perhaps they will actually draft a big time offensive player and not another goalie.

Not that they can't move Montoya now for a big time offensive prospect. They probably can. However, the Rangers have fallen in love with drafting lesser talented forwards who work hard. That's nice to do once in a while but not consistently.

I hated the Korpikoski pick. I wanted Wolski and was screaming for him. What a mistake that pick was. Korpikoski will be lucky to be a 15 G 20 A NHL pro.
And still he will be more valuable than Wolski if he becomes the player I see him becoming. Goals are nice, and necessary, but players like Korps can make the difference when all else is even.

Why pick on Korps, the Jessiman pick is always the more sexy debate

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Is this thread about a potential top 5 pick or Korpikoski? I don't see a connection between one and the other.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:44 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Is this thread about a potential top 5 pick or Korpikoski? I don't see a connection between one and the other.
Korps is given as an example of the hard working less talented player, I guess. Keep in mind that those guy were of bigger value when the league was different and they were drafted in the different era. Now every one wants Kopitar (or even Wolski?). Hey, we will have Anisimov in a few years while we definitely can use some help next season. I don't think top 5 will help. Based on existing experience we will kill the season, loose the lottery and will draft someone like Hugh Jessiman.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Fletch

Thanks 94...

that makes me feel real good - reminding me of how so many seasons went down...it's so true!

Old
02-05-2007, 03:00 PM
eco's bones

When it comes to the draft--the Rangers way too often take the feel good approach--it doesn't always work out--Jessiman to me right now has bust written all over him--that being said I think there's a decent possibility that he makes it to the NHL but as a third or fourth liner and maybe when he's 25. Have you noticed how many of our picks claim to be Ranger fans growing up?--Jessiman, Montoya, Sanguinetti, Dubinsky--it's almost as if that's a reason to target them instead of someone else--maybe someone better. Can't really complain though about the last three--they look like they'll be good players--but our stud forwards in the years to come look like they'll be free agents and not draft picks.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Fletch

At the time...

it seemed as though the Rangers were having trouble getting guys to come here for something other than the money. Also at the time, the Rangers had little size up front. Jessiman filled both those needs and was projected as a project. Nobody in here liked it, but he probably still would've been a first round pick had the Rangers not taken him and the expectation still would've been pretty high. It was a gamble, especially with those that were passed up, but ***** happens - nobody expected to find a Prucha in the 8th round or a Lundvist in the 7th round either. Gotta take the good with the bad (no need to go into Sather's drafting record - I understand it sucks, but I'm just making a general comment).

Old
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
When it comes to the draft--the Rangers way too often take the feel good approach--it doesn't always work out--Jessiman to me right now has bust written all over him--that being said I think there's a decent possibility that he makes it to the NHL but as a third or fourth liner and maybe when he's 25. Have you noticed how many of our picks claim to be Ranger fans growing up?--Jessiman, Montoya, Sanguinetti, Dubinsky--it's almost as if that's a reason to target them instead of someone else--maybe someone better. Can't really complain though about the last three--they look like they'll be good players--but our stud forwards in the years to come look like they'll be free agents and not draft picks.
Jessiman is the only 'suspect' one so far. Yeah, he was a Ranger fan, but still, he was huge, had skill, could skate, and all from our own backyard - too good to be true !

Remember, this was an organization that rarely drafted the 'safe' pick
when I was growing up. Leetch was even considered a risk. Some fans
I knew hated the Kovalev selection. 'Too risky!'

Old
02-05-2007, 03:21 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it seemed as though the Rangers were having trouble getting guys to come here for something other than the money. Also at the time, the Rangers had little size up front. Jessiman filled both those needs and was projected as a project. Nobody in here liked it, but he probably still would've been a first round pick had the Rangers not taken him and the expectation still would've been pretty high. It was a gamble, especially with those that were passed up, but ***** happens - nobody expected to find a Prucha in the 8th round or a Lundvist in the 7th round either. Gotta take the good with the bad (no need to go into Sather's drafting record - I understand it sucks, but I'm just making a general comment).
The problem is Fletch, it was never mentioned that he was a project. What was mentioned was he was born in NYC and grew up a Ranger fan.

Spin, spin, spin.

02-05-2007, 03:46 PM
mrhockey193195

I want Patrick Kane on this team right now. That kid is SCARY good.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 03:52 PM
dumpsathernow*

Expecting Korpikoski to be as good as Wolski is a prayer from what I've seen. Wolski isn't just an offensive player. He plays the other parts of the game as well.
All I remember the Rangers brass talking about was Korpikoski and his push-up's. Gimme a break. That is why they picked him over Wolksi? Ughhhh.

I agree with the feel good picks also. Turns out Callahan might have been one that works out. Jessiman has major upside. I don't know how the AHL works exactly. If possible, I'd like to see Jessiman on another AHL team. Don't know if they can do that. I think Schoney has no clue what he's doing with Jessiman. I would like to see him play on another AHL team.

Old
02-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Edge

Can't say I would've picked Wolski at the time either.

Time seems to have white washed a lot of the glaring concerns there were about him at the time.

Personally I don't think it's where the Rangers pick, but who.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:20 PM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Can't say I would've picked Wolski at the time either.

Time seems to have white washed a lot of the glaring concerns there were about him at the time.

Personally I don't think it's where the Rangers pick, but who.

Yep. The bottom line is that a lot of what this organization will do in the future will be determined on what they get when they trade Montoya. I can only hope it's somebody like Horton or Richards.

Old
02-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Expecting Korpikoski to be as good as Wolski is a prayer from what I've seen. Wolski isn't just an offensive player. He plays the other parts of the game as well.
All I remember the Rangers brass talking about was Korpikoski and his push-up's. Gimme a break. That is why they picked him over Wolksi? Ughhhh.

I agree with the feel good picks also. Turns out Callahan might have been one that works out. Jessiman has major upside. I don't know how the AHL works exactly. If possible, I'd like to see Jessiman on another AHL team. Don't know if they can do that. I think Schoney has no clue what he's doing with Jessiman. I would like to see him play on another AHL team.
We should create a league for Jessiman, will that make it easier on him?

Wolski had off ice issues in his draft year which made many teams think twice.

Old
02-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Edge

Quote:
Yep. The bottom line is that a lot of what this organization will do in the future will be determined on what they get when they trade Montoya. I can only hope it's somebody like Horton or Richards.
I agree. Personally I think this summer is really when you start heading into that very important time.

You see who is making it and who isn't and you see what you can do with your assets.

Old
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Speedtrials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I agree. Personally I think this summer is really when you start heading into that very important time.

You see who is making it and who isn't and you see what you can do with your assets.
Edge, I know you are know a good amount about our prospects, I was wondering how do you think Montoya is shaping up. I know he has been putting up great numbers for the Wolfpack latey. Do you think he is a number 1 goalie, and what is your guess on what the Rangers plans are for him? Thanks.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Edge

Hard question to say. I think he's an NHL goalie, but I also think consistency is something he's going to have to show more of.

That ultimately will determine who far he goes. I think his potential is as a #1 NHL goalie, but time will tell on that.

Personally I'm inclinded to think he has one of two futures ahead of him. He's either going to be packaged this summer for a young forward or he's going to be Henrik's backup next season.

At this point I think he's ready to move on from the AHL.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Fish

I was interested in Wolski...that's for sure, but there was that little issue with the party and the police a week or so before the draft that no doubt put some questions in some minds. Actually there are a couple of players on the Avs that I liked at draft time, Hensick and Stastny as well as Wolski.

Also was a big Vanek fan when he was eligible, but there was no way the Rangers were going to get him.

Ah...the what ifs.

Speaking of which, the further we get away from this latest draft, the less impressed I am. The saving grace might be Anisimov, but we'll have to see if they can get him over here next year. Starting to wonder whether Sanguinetti might be Jessiman mark II, i.e. a guy who was a Rangers fan getting drafted by the team because of that connection being a deciding factor...that and the fact he was a "local" boy.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

Speaking of which, the further we get away from this latest draft, the less impressed I am. The saving grace might be Anisimov, but we'll have to see if they can get him over here next year. Starting to wonder whether Sanguinetti might be Jessiman mark II, i.e. a guy who was a Rangers fan getting drafted by the team because of that connection being a deciding factor...that and the fact he was a "local" boy.
It seems like he has a lot of work to do with his defense. But other than that, he seems to be putting up some flashy offensive numbers. I don't really see any signs from him yet that he'll be another Jessiman. A lot of offensive D-men have to work on their defense. Heck, Leetch was never all that great in his own zone.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
It seems like he has a lot of work to do with his defense. But other than that, he seems to be putting up some flashy offensive numbers. I don't really see any signs from him yet that he'll be another Jessiman. A lot of offensive D-men have to work on their defense. Heck, Leetch was never all that great in his own zone.
His offense started off well, but he's really cooled in the last couple of months. His defense has been a bit concerning for sure, especially when you see he's a "minus" more nights than not, even when his teammates are "pluses".

It's hard to tell how he'll pan out, because the OHL is a long way from the AHL, but I'm a little concerned at this point.

Old
02-06-2007, 04:48 AM
dumpsathernow*

Well, the Flyers wanted Sanguinetti badly and given their first round picks, that is a good sign. They wanted Staal badly as well.

Jessiman needs to play 20 to 25 minutes a night in the AHL and on the PP a ton. You can't take a raw powerforward and not play him like Schoney does. It's absurd. Watching Jessiman in a pre-season game. He has the skating and size to become a good pro. He just isn't sure what to do with it. To me, that's coaching.

Back to the orginal thread. That top potential top 5 pick is well within reach. Management can't possible think will still make the playoffs.

Can they?

Old
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Fish

Quote:
Well, the Flyers wanted Sanguinetti badly and given their first round picks, that is a good sign. They wanted Staal badly as well.

Jessiman needs to play 20 to 25 minutes a night in the AHL and on the PP a ton. You can't take a raw powerforward and not play him like Schoney does. It's absurd. Watching Jessiman in a pre-season game. He has the skating and size to become a good pro. He just isn't sure what to do with it. To me, that's coaching.

Back to the orginal thread. That top potential top 5 pick is well within reach. Management can't possible think will still make the playoffs.

Can they?
Valid point...it's always nice when a team that has shown a record of drafting well wants the same players as your team. But that was in the past, I'm basing most of my opinion on following him this year...maybe my expectations were just too high.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:37 AM
dumpsathernow*

Quote:
Valid point...it's always nice when a team that has shown a record of drafting well wants the same players as your team. But that was in the past, I'm basing most of my opinion on following him this year...maybe my expectations were just too high.
My expectations on offensive defenseman has always been incredibly low. That came from the clutch and grab era where offensive defenseman even if they panned out, were lucky to get 40-50 points a year. Those type of defenseman are always going to be easy targets for fans who expect them to start out as good defensive defenseman also. That isn't the case. Leetch wasn't solid on defense for quite some time. My expectations with Jessiman were conservative also. However, when you put your neck on the block with a big player like Jessiman and draft him in the first round, you can't give him 10 minutes of ice time at the AHL level. That player will never do anything.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Edge

Quote:
I was interested in Wolski...that's for sure, but there was that little issue with the party and the police a week or so before the draft that no doubt put some questions in some minds. Actually there are a couple of players on the Avs that I liked at draft time, Hensick and Stastny as well as Wolski.

There were a lot of question marks concerning Wolski, be honest with you I am surprised he's made it this quickly.

The running joke about his off ice fight was that if he showed that kind of passion during actual games he'd have been a top 10 pick.

But concerns ranged everywhere from his commitment to two-way to the fact that he NEVER really worked for the puck.

The talent was always there, it was the other areas that raises eyebrows.

Ironically I think 90% of the time a pick like Wolski doesn't work out, but sometimes it does. When all is said and done I can't honestly say I would've taken him.