HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Want Forsberg?

Old
01-31-2007, 12:07 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

vCash: 500
Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Want Forsberg?

If there are two players this season I hope not to see in a Flames uniform, it's Peter Forsberg and Darcy Tucker. I can understand why so many people are foaming at the mouth at the thought of acquiring Peter Forsberg (especially before the playoffs), 'cause after all, they guy is a great player - when he's HEALTHY. I think he's too much of a risk, given his injury problems. Sure he may get healthy again, but who's to say he won't get injured again as well? As great of a player as he is (let's forget for a minute that he's not half the player he once was), this is a guy who has been plagued with injuries for quite some time, and for that I think he's too much of a risk for the price he'd likely cost (should he be traded).

I don't know, maybe I'm looking too much into it and I could be wrong, but that's how I see it at the moment.

Your thoughts?

Last edited by StreakingRed: 01-31-2007 at 12:19 PM.
StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:08 PM
BenThatcher

yes

BenThatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:29 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
I don't want to see Forsberg or Tucker. Our forwards lines are stacked, but we could perhaps add another Friesen type for depth. These two are too high end, too costly, and wouldn't fit in like a guy like Conroy does. I would love to see Tucker here, he's an ass and a good player, but he isn't worth the 5 mill he is asking for. And Forsberg is too injured. Pass big time! All we need to do is add some depth on the backend.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 12:31 PM
bob_the_fish

I would take a pass on both this year - for many reasons. Both would take more thatn Sutter would be willing to loose for a couple of rentals.

I wouldn't mind though seeing if we could grab them in the off season.

bob_the_fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:45 PM
iggysback05

I would like to see Tucker but he would have to be a rental player. He'll want Tanguay money next year and it isn't in the budget. Forsberg is a huge question mark and we are already pretty deep at center. More defensive depth might be the way to go though. Sutter likes to go into the playoffs with 8 useful defenseman. Remember how valuable Monty and Commodore were in '04.

iggysback05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 04:49 PM
BadNewsBearcat

My thoughts are we don't really have a need for either of them at this moment. But I'll sure regret it if the end up on another Western conference team and they come back to haunt us in the end. I'd say we merely stay in the discussions to merely try and thwart other Western teams from getting them. Being proactive rather than reactive. But I guess Conroy helps that too.

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Lunatik*

i dont want forsberg either... he will cost too much and he is too injury prone... i also dont like the idea of a pure rental

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
chriss_co

i would love to see forsberg (my favorite player until i saw dion play in his 1st WJC) on the flames roster...

BUT i dont want to know how much we would have to give up to acquire him..

forsberg, when healthy, is hands down the best NHL player today (and arguably #2 behind lemieux in the last 5 years of all NHL players).. reuniting him w/ tanguay would be deadly... put iggy on that line and thats just wrong...

forget about costs, rental, injury prone etc.. this guy would elevate us to legitimate cup contenders

but like i said before, due to costs of our young players/prospects im not willing to give up what some other teams are willing to do

chriss_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2007, 05:52 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co View Post
i would love to see forsberg (my favorite player until i saw dion play in his 1st WJC) on the flames roster...

BUT i dont want to know how much we would have to give up to acquire him..

forsberg, when healthy, is hands down the best NHL player today (and arguably #2 behind lemieux in the last 5 years of all NHL players).. reuniting him w/ tanguay would be deadly... put iggy on that line and thats just wrong...

forget about costs, rental, injury prone etc.. this guy would elevate us to legitimate cup contenders

but like i said before, due to costs of our young players/prospects im not willing to give up what some other teams are willing to do

Of course, I agree. I can't think of any hockey fan in their right mind who wouldn't want a healthy Forsberg on their team. But the fact that he's injury prone makes that a big risk right now. Not to mention, most likely a very high priced risk.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
natural420*

we have no room for forsberg now. that would be one to many centers. and to think we were whining about being weak at centre before the season started.

anyone who says sutter is a bad gm needs to hit themselves over the head with a brick.

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:31 AM
BadNewsBearcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
we have no room for forsberg now. that would be one to many centers. and to think we were whining about being weak at centre before the season started.

anyone who says sutter is a bad gm needs to hit themselves over the head with a brick.
Tradewise I totally agree with you, however you have to admit, his FA signings haven't worked out like we had hoped.

Amonte, McCarty, Friesen, Zyuzin?

BadNewsBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural420 View Post
we have no room for forsberg now. that would be one to many centers.
Yeah, I know. But I thought I'd start this thread because everyone seems to want Forsberg (including a lot of Flames fans I've spoken to), and I just meant that even if we had room, I wouldn't want him due to the reasons I stated.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:51 AM
natural420*

before conroy i figured forsberg wouldnt be a bad rental either. could play some second line minutes and no doubt would boost the powerplay. he would have helped us a bit for sure.

Old
02-01-2007, 12:53 AM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsBearcat View Post
Tradewise I totally agree with you, however you have to admit, his FA signings haven't worked out like we had hoped.

Amonte, McCarty, Friesen, Zyuzin?
yea, cant deny that. hate to say it, but mccarty was probably the most useful one, last season. but really, thats not all his fault. i was excited for all four of them. it was them that disapointed.

plus i think friesen and maybe zyuzin (if he gets minutes) still have a chance to prove themselves in the playoffs. gelinas was nothing special during the 03/04 season before the playoffs hit and them he proved his worth.

Old
02-06-2007, 05:51 AM
debil

I dont want Forsberg. This team has its balance and putting there such big name could much more likely cause a damage to this team than make it stronger. Darcy, he is not my beloved player but definitely better choice than Forsberg.

debil is offline   Reply With Quote