HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov wants to leave the Habs !!

Old
02-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMeth View Post
He was 'plan D' afterall... what could you expect.
And that's the problem in my opinion. Gainey was going for Shanahan and then when he was gone, headed for Samsonov???? What kind of strategy is this? He was headed for an identity for his team and decided to change it just to please the medias and the fans, it started on the wrong foot, it's ending on the same wrong one again, we shouldn't be surprised......

PLAN D should've been building from within and finally giving a chance to Kostitsyn and others.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:59 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Mike Brophy was just on the Team 990 this morning and he said that an NHL player had told him recently that Samsonov has something like 25% body fat, which seems pretty high and just another indication of just how much he does not care.

Regardless, a bag of pucks seems about right in any deal involving sammy
Well...I guess the name Softsonov really does fit.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:02 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside Habs Fan View Post
Because I find it hard that a team would give up on a player so quickly.
Whoa, what? Samsonov gave up on the team, not the other way around. The fact that he doesn't even want to stick around for our playoff drive indicates that much.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I could understand his reaction since in no way did he deserved being benched the last time. I mean, he's just seeing this as, "I play bad, I'm benched, I play good I'm benched too, so what's the point".

Carbo has his part of responsabilities obviously, the stubborness of playing Samsonov and Kovalev together was stupid, and now Carbo who's suppose to sit guys who are not working but then sit a guy who was doing a fine job on a new line....tons of contradiction, and again understand he wants out.

But then he didn't help himself, he's totally overrated and now, from Mike Brophy talking on Team 990 this morning, has a 26% body fat, does say that he didn't took that opportunity too seriously and deserve to be voted out of the island.....

Would he better elsewhere, well yeah, but is that so hard? Would he be what he was suppose to be, no, 'cause he never was.
I agree with all of this.

I'd also probably tend to be somewhat vindictive as a GM. Just to really make sure no other UFAs want to sign here... no, okay, I mean just to pound home the message that I don't like attempts at having my hand forced with public demands from underproducing out-of-shape players... well, I'd love to assign him to the minors. Except then he might just get claimed on waivers. Hrm. Well you have to try to trade him to help the team first, I guess. I don't know what we'd get for him. If we get anything, I guess we have to take it. If nobody is interested or just wants to give us even bigger contract headaches, waived to the minors works for me.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Now we won't even be able to sign Russians!
Anyway they're all lazy.

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:04 AM
jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
Mike Brophy was just on the Team 990 this morning and he said that an NHL player had told him recently that Samsonov has something like 25% body fat, which seems pretty high and just another indication of just how much he does not care.

Regardless, a bag of pucks seems about right in any deal involving sammy
He's 85kg on average. Any less and he'll be blown off the ice.

jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I'm disappointed because he was starting to turn it around.

I hate to say it but I really think Carbo's questionable decision-making towards Samsonov all year basically ruined him. He had it out for him since the start of the season. Benching him the other day after Sammy had been playing great was the icing on the cake.

Carbo is a good guy but he has alot to learn (and he will learn it). This will not bode well for future UFAs. Now we won't even be able to sign Russians!
Sometimes, fortunately it doesn't happen often but I see shades of Mario Tremblay in Carbo's decisions makings. He's trying too hard to prove a point, a little cocky and loves to confront his players, not sure he'll last long doing that. Obviously he has a better hockey mind that Tremblay had at the time and will ever have, but he has to work on his own attitude, I believe.

As far as attracting UFA's, the only reason why I think UFA'S would not come here, is not because we bench our struggling UFA'S, you don't want to sit out, play hard and you won't. The real problem is that UFA'S, might start thinking if the Montreal's style of play will give them enough liberty to still be (if it's already the case) an offensive player.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
AlexMeth

Quote:
And that's the problem in my opinion. Gainey was going for Shanahan and then when he was gone, headed for Samsonov???? What kind of strategy is this? He was headed for an identity for his team and decided to change it just to please the medias and the fans, it started on the wrong foot, it's ending on the same wrong one again, we shouldn't be surprised......

PLAN D should've been building from within and finally giving a chance to Kostitsyn and others.
I have to agree with you on this. As much as I like Gainey as a GM, i was surprise to hear him say Samsonov was plan D at the end of the summer. I guess this might of sent the wrong message right away. Man i wish we would of signed an veteran forward with good stats and most of all great leadership like Brendan Shanahan.

Sammy seemed more comfortable playing with Bonk and Johnson lately, but maybe there's a good reason why Carbo would bench Sergei on Sunday. But i can't stand the whining though - dude! you're getting paid 3.5 m$ !

AlexMeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Before anything, I would put Samsonov with Koivu. We can't lose anything by trying it. Right now, we don't even have a first line so it's the time to try something new!

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Is he friends with Kovalev?

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Netro

I don't necessarily agree with this whole 25% body fat thing heard on the radio, I mean is it really fact, or is it fiction? On the flip side, Samsonov has looked slower this season.

I personally liked the acquistion last summer but so far it really has not worked out. But, there is still time and I would not necessarily dump him. Look, it does take time to get accustomed to a new team and surroundings. Now, of course, it does not take this long but it definitely was something that affected his play early in the year. Second, the Kovalev-Samsonov experiment lasted too long. I am happy that Carbo showed patience with the line but he probably waited a little long to break it up. Third, I think Samsonov has been much better in the last month, he is just not burying his chances. And, of course, he is paid to bury his chances. But, when an offensive player slumps, the first step to break out of it is to get chances. I totally disagreed with his benching on Sunday and I can understand why he is more upset. He has played well with Bonk and Johnson.

I'd like to add in, that he is also getting no PP time this year, at least not much since the first month of the season, and he usually would be getting lots of points on the PP.

IMO, anybody is tradeable, if the price is right. I would be upset if they just dumped Samsonov without getting a solid player back or Cap Space. I think he has the potential to contribute over the end of the season and the playoffs

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:12 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Well, that bodes well for all the UFAs who'll check Montreal as a destination in the future.

Mind you, Gainey has been pretty regular into sending his disgruntled signings elsewhere.
Right from the start, it was the wrong fit for the Habs. Gainey was unable to sign Shanahan, or attract a sniper like Elias, or a hard working winger like Langenbrunner. He had some money left and gamble on Samsonov. A that point he did not know that Latendresse would be good enough to stay, that Koivu will have recovered fully from his eye injury, and he had not really full confidence in his youngsters Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Kostitsyn. He did not know that Dumont would become available. So, he took a chance, and lost. he was luckier by acquiring Johnson, though.

It was the wrong fit anyway. Another small winger is something this team did not need.

Samsonov was unable to adapt to his new team, linemates, and rookie coach's vision.

Adios ! If Gainey can get a good draft pick (like a 2nd) or a rugged, hard working, big and affordable third line winger, that would be just fine. My choice would be Mark Bell from SJ, who is struggling this year but can score 20-25 goals per year and use his size and shoulders. Eh, Samsonov will be happy to play again with Thornton !

Last edited by habitue*: 02-06-2007 at 08:21 AM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:13 AM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
Maybe we can trade Sammy for Steven Gerrard.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:15 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Right from the start, it was the wrong fit for the Habs. Gainey was unable to sign Shanahan, or attract a sniper like Elias, or a hard working winger like Langenbrunner. He had some money left and gamble on Samsonov. A that point he did not know that Latendresse would be good enough to stay, that Koivu will have recovered fully from his eye injury, and he had not really full confidence in his youngsters Higgins, Perezhogin, Plekanec and Kostitsyn. He did not know that Dumont would become available. So, he took a chance, and lost. he was luckier by acquiring Johnson, though.
Great post. Pretty much sums up the situation perfectly.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Steven Gerrard would take us over the cap. We could start a team with Steven Gerrard and still be close to the cap.

I wouldn't hearing other peoples thoughts on this but is this new source particularly reliable for information? With the way everyone is taking this news it sounds like it is, but I'd like to make sure.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:20 AM
GaineysRightHandMan

Quote:

Strategy? What's the big deal? He acquired an acquistiion to try to see if it will work and if it don't, he can be traded - he gets something for nothing.

GaineysRightHandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:20 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Is he friends with Kovalev?
Is anybody friends with Kovalev?

Old
02-06-2007, 08:22 AM
jordi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Steven Gerrard would take us over the cap. We could start a team with Steven Gerrard and still be close to the cap.

I wouldn't hearing other peoples thoughts on this but is this new source particularly reliable for information? With the way everyone is taking this news it sounds like it is, but I'd like to make sure.
There's the possibility this could be another agent blunder remiscent of his early antics. It cites the agent but not much about Sammy. So far there hasn't been any news reports. (apart from the one that started it)

jordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I don't think we have to get anything at all for Samsonov anymore. He had been playing better, it was looking like we had no incentive at all to sell him low, he was going to be a contributor down the stretch and into the playoffs, and we could worry about his salary in the summer (if it was still a worry after evaluating his play through the rest of the season).

Now, the gauntlet has been thrown in a much clearer fashion than his first murky murmurings of discontent. He seems to have no interest in any further evaluation, he wants out, so as far as I'm concerned, we can now look at it as if it was already summer and he had done nothing to salvage his value down the stretch. His $3.525M is off the books, and that's a goldmine for our hopes to sign the D and Bonk/Johnson. It's still too early to re-invest that money in something risky like Aucoin. But now we can at least go ahead and plan our budget 100% sans Samsonov, and that alone is worth more than anything we'll get for him in a trade.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Do you guys think trading Sammy will be easy?

$3.5 million for 7 goals and a defensive liablity in the playoffs?

He has another year at $3.5 million too.

The only teams that would be interested are teams that are desperate for offense, since he does have offensive skills; this is just a bad year.

I think part of the problem wa Carbo insisting that he play with Kovy, and that does NOT work when two players want the puck. Kovy's game is mis-direction with the puck and Sammy's game is speed with the puck and never the two shall meet.

I agree with many that Sammy looked good with Bonk, but the problem is that is a checking line and Sammy doesn't like to backcheck nor work on the boards to clear the puck.

I think we'll be lucky to dump his salary for a 2nd tier defensive prospect and a mid round pick.

If we pick up Acoiun, it will be the end of signing Souray and I do NOT want that!!!
Gainey should try to deal him to SJ for another but slightly cheaper underachiever (this year): Mark Bell. He would be the perfect fit on a third line with his size and willingness to throw his body around. Ans Samsonov would be soooo happy to play again with Thornton.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:28 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordi View Post
There's the possibility this could be another agent blunder remiscent of his early antics. It cites the agent but not much about Sammy. So far there hasn't been any news reports. (apart from the one that started it)
It was on CHOM and CJAD this morning, although I'm pretty sure those reports both came from the original Journal story.

Old
02-06-2007, 08:31 AM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
I didn't get it at first.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
Turbo

I don't think anyone's posted the version picked-up by RDS:
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/222739.html

So he wanted out only after being taken out of the line-up Sunday? Weren't there reports that he wanted out before that?

Anyway, if he wants out, Carbo shouldn't put him back in the line-up at all. Maybe it's time to send Murray down (he already cleared waivers) and bring up Kostitsyn for an offensive role? (Obviously, can't send Sammy down since that may entail losing him for nothing on waivers; provided Gainey has a few teams taking a whiff and willing pay at least something for him that is.)

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:02 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why don't we do this?
To Chicago:
Samsonov, Perezhogin, 1st round pick
To Montreal:
Smolinski, 1st round pick.

Chicago picks up Samsonov, a proven scoring winger who is just not finding chemistry in Montreal. They also pick up Perezhogin a great plus/minus player with abilities at both ends of the rink, could thrive seeing time on the top lines in Chicago. Our first round pick, which is a bit lower but the way the draft is, they could still end up getting a better player.

Montreal gets Smolinski, I don't really want him, but since some people put him in their rumours, I'll put it here to see Montreal get a player out of the trade.. And the reason we'd want their pick, is so we can draft higher and maybe take someone like Esposito, Alzner, Gagner or Voracek.
For a second time in a row, I agree with you. WOW!

I don't want Aucoin. Why not just wait during the summer, let Rivet go, and sign a d-man who will deserve the money? I'm scared since I know that Gainey loves Aucoin. He was good in the past but so was Niinima. Now, it's time to look for the future.

If he can pull a trade like your poposal, he'll be a genius again. I may call him Lamoriello Jr.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:03 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
Gainey should try to deal him to SJ for another but slightly cheaper underachiever (this year): Mark Bell. He would be the perfect fit on a third line with his size and willingness to throw his body around. Ans Samsonov would be soooo happy to play again with Thornton.
I don't think SJ would touch Samsonov. Plus, if what I read is correct, Bell has travel restrictions due to his legal problems.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote