HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What happened to Lars Eller?

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 02:26 AM
LarsEller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebinne4pres View Post
What happens...let's see:

Therrien arrive.
Eller got benched after one single game

Then got back in on the Fourth line
On the left wing, On the right wing then back at centre on the fourth
Putting up points here and there.....then got back on the third.

Started to play really well, putting up points and at the end of the season,
Some could've made the case that he became our best player at that point.

Even while outproducing Desharnais.....he still can get any PP Time.

Started this season the same way....but the chemistry he build with others have been broken several time for no reason. After 20 games, while outproducing many players, what he EARNED in the past as been taking away from him.....

And got back to playing on he bottom 6, even on the wing again....

When Eller got his ONE chance....he took it and made very well for himself and the team.
He didn't miss his chance...it was been taken away from him. That's what happens.

Eller EARNED Desharnais spot and ice-time.....cause he largely outproduce DD for about 65-70 games....did Desharnais outplayed Eller to get his spot back? NO...we gave him his PP and Gallagher, PAcioretty when things went sour for him in media. He never earned his ice-time or linesmates.

That's really not a great way to motivate a 24 years old kid.
And i think it's pretty obvious that Eller is in Therrien's doghouse since Game 1.

What happens to Eller.....he's pissed....and for good reasons.
Great post. I cant imagine him being happy with the way things have turned out. If things dont change soon and hes being given proper linemates + some pp time i hope hee traded to a team willing to give him a fair shot at regular top 6 minutes

Old
02-04-2014, 03:00 AM
Price My Man Crush

He's gonna ask for a trade if things don't change until the end of the season. We're ****ed.

Old
02-04-2014, 03:21 AM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

We all can thank Therrien for mismanaging Eller and destroying his mojo.

I remember a long stretch of games in December and January where you had the genius sitting the likes of Eller and Galchenyuk in favor of Gio and Bourque on the power play. I think the lack of PP opportunities is what drowned Eller's play and ultimately his confidence.

Old
02-04-2014, 03:32 AM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post

I remember a long stretch of games in December and January where you had the genius sitting the likes of Eller and Galchenyuk in favor of Gio and Bourque on the power play. I think the lack of PP opportunities is what drowned Eller's play and ultimately his confidence.
I think confidence is really at the heart of the issue, confidence with his linemates and confidence with himself. He is going through a rough patch, to say the least, and I don't think Therrien is doing him any favors. Perhaps he simply isn't a Therrien player, which is fine except what the **** is allowing him to struggle going to do to help the team in the future? His usefulness as a player is shrinking every bit as his usefulness as an asset right now.

Old
02-04-2014, 03:44 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDs not undersized View Post
6% less offensive zone starts for Eller explains it all? Despite DD facing the better opposition? I don't think so.
add
- lesser wingers
- less PP time

Old
02-04-2014, 04:00 AM
TiCats

He's a good third line centre but greatly overrated on this board. Everyone whines about how he doesn't get the offensive linemates or chances, but then he did get those opportunities and he did nothing.

Some of you think he's this great top 2 centre held back by a bad coach. I think we have a mediocre coach that see's what this guy is accurately.

Old
02-04-2014, 04:07 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiCats View Post
He's a good third line centre but greatly overrated on this board. Everyone whines about how he doesn't get the offensive linemates or chances, but then he did get those opportunities and he did nothing.

Some of you think he's this great top 2 centre held back by a bad coach. I think we have a mediocre coach that see's what this guy is accurately.
He did a lot when he was given the opportunities.

Old
02-04-2014, 04:35 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:

think you need to look at other teams more... you'd be surprised how many 40/50 pts players are on the top 6 of their team, even on great teams...

there isnt enough 50+ pts forwards in the NHL for teams to have a full top 6 with 6 forwards putting up 50+ points...

Old
02-04-2014, 05:05 AM
TiCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
think you need to look at other teams more... you'd be surprised how many 40/50 pts players are on the top 6 of their team, even on great teams...

there isnt enough 50+ pts forwards in the NHL for teams to have a full top 6 with 6 forwards putting up 50+ points...
Eller's career high is 57 points in the AHL in 09-10. Yeah, can't have enough of those point getters.

Desharnais had seasons of 97, 108 and 118 points in the Q, and a 106 point season in the ECHL.

So tell me again why I should value Eller's offensive upside and give a crap that Desharnais is short?

Last edited by TiCats: 02-04-2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old
02-04-2014, 05:07 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Eller's career high is 57 points in the AHL in 09-10. Yeah, can't have enough of those point getters.

Desharnais had seasons of 97, 108 and 118 points in the Q, and a 106 point season in the ECHL.

So tell me again why I should value Eller's offensive upside and give a crap that Desharnais is short?
That is a convincing argument: Desharnaia dominated the mighty ECHL ...

Desharnais has dominated every league he's played in -- except the NHL.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:11 AM
TiCats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

So has Eller, subtract the dominating of any other league he has played in.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:18 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
So has Eller, subtract the dominating of any other league he has played in.
Eller's 2013 season is better than any of DD's seasons. He produced 2.70 points per 60 minutes of 5 on 5 play, a level of performance Desharnais can only dream of.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:52 AM
Perrah

Quote:

Because Eller actually earned his chance to play quality minutes early in the year and then it was just taken away from him because they needed to get ole Davey going. Once Galchenyuk went down he was given grinders and was also moved to wing, which has shown to be awful placement for the guy. Especially when you move him to wing to put Briere at center, who is a defensive black hole.

I dont recall trying DD on the wing when he was struggling to do anything useful, and DD actually looked pretty good at wing the last time he played there in the playoffs against the Bruins. Here is what Eller knows at this point, no matter what he does DD will get the PP time and offensive opportunities because he cant do anything else if he isnt producing and that isnt going to change for atleast 3 more years because nobody wants a 5'6" center.

No denying Eller has looked pretty bad lately, but hopefully they re-unite the EGG line after the olympics since they cant score now, but I am not holding my breath on that one because god forbid DD be stuck with a grinder on his line for a change.

Last edited by Perrah: 02-04-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old
02-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Milhouse40

Quote:

Did nothing....well i wonder where the Habs would be without Eller's first 20 games this year....with our first ofensive center getting 1 point in 19 games....

I also wonder where the Habs would've fnished last year only with DD's 28 pts in 48 games.....
Not sure they would've make the playoff.

Eller did more for that team since Therrien's arrival than DD (who was mostly a problem
last year)....but even there, Therrien didn't even properly give a good chance to Eller and DD keeps getting all the chances in the world...fair?

Quote:

OMG....Eller was in the NHL at the same age DD was "dominating the Q"....nevermind the fact that DD was called GrandPa in every league he played.

You wanna see his offensive upside...i won't show you numbers of a small league like the Q.....how about international Hockey, How about when Eller was facing the best in the world??

How about his 39 points in 26 games in all his World Junior Championship!!

I guess putting points in the Q is far more impressive than putting up TOP offensive numbers against the best in world.....should i also point out that DD never was good enough at any point of his career to go to that kind of competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

As i pointed out....he dominated being one of the older guy.....mayby he will dominated the NHL at 45...

Old
02-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post

Eller had by far his best season as a pro under Therrien(30 points in 46 games) and he played half of this season with Gallagher and Galchenyuk(actualy 3/4 of Galchenyuk's games pre injury). It's not because he's had bad linemates.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:51 AM
beaverBFP

He isn't being put in a position to succeed plain and simple.

Old
02-04-2014, 06:59 AM
bentheprop

The DD vs Eller debate is going to rage on until one of them is gone, and probably for some time after that, but the truth of the matter is that with Pleks here one of DD or Eller has to play more of a checking role. Since DD is pretty much useless for that job he gets the offensive wingers and PP time and Eller gets PK work and checking wingers (or less offensive in Borks case).

Old
02-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverBFP View Post
He isn't being put in a position to succeed plain and simple.
Why was he succeeding last year in similar situations? If anything he's getting more ice time this year.

Last year he put up 0.65 PPGM playing 14:50 per game.

This year he is at 0.35 PPGM playing 16:50 per game.

I believe his most common linemates are Gallagher and Galchenyuk. He has had more grinders lately but that's just in the last 3-4 weeks. He's also had Briere who did well with Plekanec and who can finish if you set him up.

Old
02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why was he succeeding last year in similar situations? If anything he's getting more ice time this year.

I believe his most common linemates are Gallagher and Galchenyuk. He has had more grinders lately but that's just in the last 3-4 weeks. He's also had Briere who did well with Plekanec and who can finish if you set him up.
Funny because his pointless streak started Jan 4th, see where i'm going with this? And please Brière a good finisher? He has 9 goals in 43 games, nothing special there...

Old
02-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Desharnais, when he came back in the lineup, clearly played with Travis Moen and Ryan White.

If that is a 3rd line, well, that's a 3rd line that should be a 4th line.

Then again, I agree he should "earned" his way upwards more than he did.
The least he played were 12:57 and 12:37 TOI this season in back to back games. Habs lost one game to the Sharks 2-0, won one 2-0 against Rangers. He got 1:29 PP time too. The 4th line those games consisted of Blunden, Holland, Leblanc.

Whether people want to admit it or not, having Eller diminish to nothing is a huge blow to the core. All that's left is a Pacioretty (we can't know whether he can produce against top lines or any other center), a Galchenyuk (our only hope but never consistently given a chance like other teams do - see Johansen, Scheifele, etc), and a Gallagher (ever since being moved from EGG looks more 3rd liner than top 6). Of course and Desharnais who's guaranteed top six for next 4 years.

Even if you ignore that every time Desharnais averaged more than 17 minutes/game Habs as a team struggle to score that month dating back to 2011, the Habs future is not as good as some thought and it really needs the likes of Desharnais to be a major piece like his fans and management seems to think and Eller is as bad as some make him be. Who really is the 'negative' voice?

Clearly the team has no interest in developing other players. The powerplay pretty much epitomizes the teams philosophy, when something fails keep doing the same thing again and again because if you change it means you're wrong.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-04-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old
02-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Eller could be a perfect 3rd line checking centre with his size and speed. Put him with Bournival and De La Rose and they could shut down any line. Use Weise in that spot now.

DD should be moved and our top two centres should be Galchenyuk and Pleks. We have Patches and Gally so we need two more top 6 forwards with size and speed. Prust and White are 4th line. Move all the other forwards including Markov to get two top forwards. We have none coming up that can fill this role in the next few years so include picks and prospects to get them.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:34 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

I guess they lost the Halak trade after all. Gauthier.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:39 AM
beaverBFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
Eller could be a perfect 3rd line checking centre with his size and speed. Put him with Bournival and De La Rose and they could shut down any line. Use Weise in that spot now.

DD should be moved and our top two centres should be Galchenyuk and Pleks. We have Patches and Gally so we need two more top 6 forwards with size and speed. Prust and White are 4th line. Move all the other forwards including Markov to get two top forwards. We have none coming up that can fill this role in the next few years so include picks and prospects to get them.
Agree, the centers going forward in the next few years should be Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller.

IMO we need an other top end talent RW and 2nd line LW as i don't see gally being legit 1st line winger, here's my eventual top 6:

Patches Chuckie RW
LW Pleks Gally

Old
02-04-2014, 09:50 AM
hardcorehabs

If our management is stupid enough to trade Lars Eller before DD that will be my last straw. I mean how in the **** can you justify the thought that DD is a better fit and a better center man going forward then Eller.

Physicality: Eller >>>>> DD
Board Battles: Eller >>>>> DD
Puck Handling: Eller > DD
Size: Eller >>>>> DD
Defensive Play: Eller >>>> DD
Shot: Eller >>>> DD
Age/Potential: Eller >>>>> DD
Passing: Eller=DD
Speed: Eller=DD

Just an absolute joke of a player DD is and it sucks management chose to **** over the team to get that little midget putting up the odd assist here and there. Gives him all the PP time in the world and the two top wingers, while Eller is in Therriens doghouse. Open up your ****ing eyes MB and MT, DD is not a top line center in the NHL!!! You will NEVER ever EVER win squat with DD as your 1C. EVER.

Old
02-04-2014, 09:54 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcorehabs View Post
If our management is stupid enough to trade Lars Eller before DD that will be my last straw. I mean how in the **** can you justify the thought that DD is a better fit and a better center man going forward then Eller.

Physicality: Eller >>>>> DD
Board Battles: Eller >>>>> DD
Puck Handling: Eller > DD
Size: Eller >>>>> DD
Defensive Play: Eller >>>> DD
Shot: Eller >>>> DD
Age/Potential: Eller >>>>> DD
Passing: Eller=DD
Speed: Eller=DD

Just an absolute joke of a player DD is and it sucks management chose to **** over the team to get that little midget putting up the odd assist here and there. Gives him all the PP time in the world and the two top wingers, while Eller is in Therriens doghouse. Open up your ****ing eyes MB and MT, DD is not a top line center in the NHL!!! You will NEVER ever EVER win squat with DD as your 1C. EVER.
I absolutely agree...and would add...

Closed Thread