HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Sean Avery Traded to Rangers!

Old
02-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Jackson Ranger

vCash: 500
Don't know if this was posted but could Sather have acquired Avery to play LW on the first line with Nylander and Jagr. Then they could slide Straka to 2nd line C with Shanny on the RW with Hossa or Prucha on LW?

This gives the Rangers more toughness on the 1st line and someone who could protect Jagr. Plus they get more scoring ability with Straka being able to get the puck to Shanny on the 2nd line.

Just a thought...

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:14 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Don't know if this was posted but could Sather have acquired Avery to play LW on the first line with Nylander and Jagr. Then they could slide Straka to 2nd line C with Shanny on the RW with Hossa or Prucha on LW?

This gives the Rangers more toughness on the 1st line and someone who could protect Jagr. Plus they get more scoring ability with Straka being able to get the puck to Shanny on the 2nd line.

Just a thought...
Would make sense, not sure if Avery can play with Nylander & Jagr but I bet he would pound the **** outta Pandolfo when he gets on the ice to cover Jags.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:16 AM
HBK27

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Avery will do it all for the Rangers, he turned his act down and started playing hockey, but now with his reputation, he gets called for EVERYTHING. He can get tripped and get called for diving and the other guy get nothing.
Not sure if this was already mentioned in the thread or not, but I heard Bill Clement talking on XM last night about players drawing penalties and he mentioned that Avery was at the top of the list. He'll draw penalties as much as he'll get them.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:22 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Not sure if this was already mentioned in the thread or not, but I heard Bill Clement talking on XM last night about players drawing penalties and he mentioned that Avery was at the top of the list. He'll draw penalties as much as he'll get them.
Yes, it was VERSUS last night.. I think hes drawn like 43 if I'm not mistaken...

Old
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
clmetsfan

Does anyone know if he'll be in uniform tonight agasint the Devils?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:41 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post

Just a thought...
It did cross my mind. I don't know to be frank, don't know how Avery is defensivly. The problem with that line is that Straka is the first man in and the first man back, if Nyllet and Jagr don't get that they are in trouble. With a player like Avery its a risk that he will get engaged in something and loose his position. At the same time, Nylander can take a bigger defensive responsibility, when Nylander have played on the 3rd line he have been decent on D.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
JerseyRangers

Don't mind this trade. We've got tons of guys like Ward and tons of prospects similiar to Cliche (some better). Don't have anyone on the roster that can do what Avery does. Good trade, IMO.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:54 AM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

How do you people not like this deal??? you are all out of your minds!!!!! Did you people miss the game last night??? wow, what a pationate game by the rangers.

you are upset about losing Cliche?? What exactly do you guys know about Cliche that makes you upset?? he is 2-3 years away.

Avery brings energy, something only 1 guy on our roster now has. He will also get more ice time than hollweg (the one guy) gets so the energy level will stay higher for longer. He, by himself will elevate the play of the Europeans. I am not making out Avery to be the savior but he is a guy every team needs.

i think shanny knows what avery could do in the locker room and off the ice so he will take him under his wing a bit and make sure he behaves. This is a good deal for NYR and helps us with the energy/toughness part of our team. Now we need some more help on D and a 2nd line center. but untill we get that center, i hope Renney gets over his brain freeze and changes the lines around a bit.

Prucha - Nylander/straka - Jagr
Shanny - Straka/Nylander - Hossa (not really happy with this guy here, dawes would not be worse)
Cullen - Avery - orts
Hollweg - betts - hall

Now, lets hope Avery gets Paris Hilton pregnant and brings some publicity to the NHL!!!!!

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
GarretJoseph*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
How do you people not like this deal??? you are all out of your minds!!!!! Did you people miss the game last night??? wow, what a pationate game by the rangers.

you are upset about losing Cliche?? What exactly do you guys know about Cliche that makes you upset?? he is 2-3 years away.

Avery brings energy, something only 1 guy on our roster now has. He will also get more ice time than hollweg (the one guy) gets so the energy level will stay higher for longer. He, by himself will elevate the play of the Europeans. I am not making out Avery to be the savior but he is a guy every team needs.

i think shanny knows what avery could do in the locker room and off the ice so he will take him under his wing a bit and make sure he behaves. This is a good deal for NYR and helps us with the energy/toughness part of our team. Now we need some more help on D and a 2nd line center. but untill we get that center, i hope Renney gets over his brain freeze and changes the lines around a bit.

Prucha - Nylander/straka - Jagr
Shanny - Straka/Nylander - Hossa (not really happy with this guy here, dawes would not be worse)
Cullen - Avery - orts
Hollweg - betts - hall

Now, lets hope Avery gets Paris Hilton pregnant and brings some publicity to the NHL!!!!!
I hate your lines.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

The good thing about this trade is while it will help a PO run, it will not necessarily adversely effect a purge. There's nothing wrong with trading a prospect like Cliche for the type of player we received in Avery.

The only thing I'm afraid of is Cliche's attitude. I could really see him rise because of having such a pro mentality. A guy with such great skating, decent skills, and a workhorse mentality is a pretty dangerous pro prospect. Now if we trade Callahan and Pyatt...

Old
02-06-2007, 09:15 AM
94now

I don't think we got just another clown. If any comparison with Darcy are valid, we've got a player (or Sartter assumes we did). I think that's it as far as 2nd line C acquisition is concerned. Doesn't matter 2nd line or 3rd Avery is going to center Shanahan.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:25 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
It did cross my mind. I don't know to be frank, don't know how Avery is defensivly. The problem with that line is that Straka is the first man in and the first man back, if Nyllet and Jagr don't get that they are in trouble. With a player like Avery its a risk that he will get engaged in something and loose his position. At the same time, Nylander can take a bigger defensive responsibility, when Nylander have played on the 3rd line he have been decent on D.
Great point about Straka, Ola and I agree 100%. He is the reason why that top line doesn't get scored on more.

IF...the lines had this makeup, the only solution would be to have Straka and Nylander switch. This way, Staka is the defensive presence on the first line and Avery can concentrate on working down deep and getting Jagr the puck.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
If any comparison with Darcy are valid

They aren't, thats the problem.

Avery can skate, and he gets a lot of minutes for a team like LA. That's the only reason he's got 28pts. He actually gets PP time in LA. Check out how he's done in the last month.

He cant hit the cage, and when he does, 95% of the time the goalie might as well be wearing a bullseye on his chest. He spends a fair amount of time offsides, and his backchecking is horrid.

This deal sucks. You guys don't watch many 10:30pm starting Kings games I imagine.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post

Avery can skate, and he gets a lot of minutes for a team like LA. That's the only reason he's got 28pts. He actually gets PP time in LA. Check out how he's done in the last month.

He cant hit the cage, and when he does, 95% of the time the goalie might as well be wearing a bullseye on his chest. He spends a fair amount of time offsides, and his backchecking is horrid.

This deal sucks. You guys don't watch many 10:30pm starting Kings games I imagine.
It doesn't matter. People love the fact that we got a more talented Hollweg. I don't care what else is said about the kid, as long as he shows SOME glimpse of talent and production. That's the real reason people like him. I can't blame them, I love the fact that we get a guy who will be able to change the game with a hit, fight, and occasional goal/assist. The Garden needs someone else to cheer for.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:36 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Yes, it was VERSUS last night.. I think hes drawn like 43 if I'm not mistaken...
top of the list with 46, Briere and Erik Cole are 2nd and 3rd with something along the lines of 42 and 40..

also, the highest Ranger on the list is Jagr with something like 26, tied for 32nd in the league.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
top of the list with 46, Briere and Erik Cole are 2nd and 3rd with something along the lines of 42 and 40..

also, the highest Ranger on the list is Jagr with something like 26, tied for 32nd in the league.
What they didn't say on Versus was how many of those 46 penalties drawn also came with a coincidental penalty from Avery.

Notice they didn't say POWER PLAYS drawn, they said PENALTIES drawn.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 AM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post

Well you have to think the right coach can get the most out of Sean Avery. Harness and focus his aggressiveness, and get the most out of what offensive skills he does have.

I loved Esa Tikkanen, and still haven't quite figured out why they had to include him in the package that went to St. Louis along with Mike Keenan after the Cup win.

With the right coach, maybe Avery can be a Tikkanen-like player.

So I guess we're depending on Tom Renney to be that right coach.

Last edited by dave4: 02-06-2007 at 10:16 AM.
dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:12 AM
ap215

Risky move by the Blueshirts no doubt this guy is an enforcer but the negative intangiables of him is what worries me cause he has caused alot of controversy. Let's see where this goes.

Also i'm very happy we got a prospect in return hope he does well for us. Good luck to Ward in LA.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap215 View Post
Also i'm very happy we got a prospect in return hope he does well for us. Good luck to Ward in LA.
I hope the prospect does well in the OHL before doing well with us...

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:47 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
I hope the prospect does well in the OHL before doing well with us...
well there's a reason teams have scouting staffs. this is not a blind throw in, you better believe the rangers must have liked something about him. there's no better time to prove your worth as scouts than this. you can't exactly get back lauri tukonen in a deal like this, but we'll see what this kid is like.

remember girardi came out of nowhere...

Old
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
well there's a reason teams have scouting staffs. this is not a blind throw in, you better believe the rangers must have liked something about him. there's no better time to prove your worth as scouts than this.

remember girardi came out of nowhere...
Yes, but Giardi was actually really good at the junior level. People just didn't think he'd translate to the pro game, and they were very wrong.

This kid we got looks like a walking stiff.

Old
02-06-2007, 10:51 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4 View Post
Well you have to think the right coach can get the most out of Sean Avery. Harness and focus his aggressiveness, and get the most out of what offensive skills he does have.

I loved Esa Tikkanen, and still haven't quite figured out why they had to include him in the package that went to St. Louis along with Mike Keenan after the Cup win.

With the right coach, maybe Avery can be a Tikkanen-like player.

So I guess we're depending on Tom Renney to be that right coach.
Except of course that Tikkanen put his team first, and himself second. The opposite case with Sean.
he'd also have to be at least a reasonably effective checker to fill a Tikkanen-esque role - not happening.

Rangers are getting someone that at best falls somewhere between Ryan Hollweg and Matthew Lombardi with a massive ego, incredible ability to be offsides, take stupid penalties (that normally cancel out all the ones he supposedly draws) and a sharp ability to divide the locker room.

Glenn Sather makes me sick.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:51 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Yes, but Giardi was actually really good at the junior level. People just didn't think he'd translate to the pro game, and they were very wrong.

This kid we got looks like a walking stiff.
then why include him at all? it's not like they'd be publicly scrutinized for not squeezing a "walking stiff" in the deal.

Girardi was soo good at the junior level that in his 5th season in OHL, his overage season, he had 39 points in 69 games. If his knock was that he wasn't going to translate to the pro game, then his stats sure as hell were not. He also played with Callahan so the Rangers definately had an eye on him and were atuned.

Old
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
then why include him at all? it's not like they'd be publicly scrutinized for not squeezing a "walking stiff" in the deal.

Girardi was soo good at the junior level that in his 5th season in OHL, his overage season, he had 39 points in 69 games. If his knock was that he wasn't going to translate to the pro game, then his stats sure as hell were not. He also played with Callahan so the Rangers definately had an eye on him and were atuned.
Girardi wasn't an offensive d-man. He was a defensive d-man. Why would you sit there and mock what I said about him with a stupid post about points? He was never expected to put points up and never really did. He's not doing it now and won't in the future. Lose your cocky attitude.

And if you're SO smart and have obviously seen Seymour play many, many times, tell me what he's like. I mean, why is it that the guy can't score 10 points at the OHL level in a single season?

In 187 OHL games, he's amassed a grand total of 21 points. As a forward. And he's not an enforcer, I take it, by looking at his PIM stats.

Old
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Funny thing is, with Girardi, TSN says they think he has a lot of offensive potential. I don't see it. I think the 40 points he scored last year at the AHL level kind of covered their eyes a bit. The guy is a good passer and amassed a lot of secondary assists, most likely, which padded his stats a bit. I don't see him as an offensive player by any means.

His defense is what counts. Steady and solid.