HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Samsonov wants to leave the Habs !!

Old
02-06-2007, 09:08 AM
oli500

vCash: 500
I dont fell sory for players who sign multiyear deals with a team and because things are not going as planed, they want out. If things are not going well, you work hard , you keep your mouth shut and you let things work out. Samsonov is building a bad rep and if he keeps this up, hes going to find himself in the euro league pretty soon, no gm are going to want to take a chance on a guy that constantly wants out if things are not going his way. His agent is doing a poor job at giving him advice in my opinion. Carbo been super patient with this guy.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Habs13

I was a big fan of Samsonov as a Bruin and super happy when we signed him but he's been bad here, no two ways about it. Wish we would see a change in his attitude even if its just to show him off to other GMs - I want to remember him in a good way.

More over, I don't want Aucoin or Smolinski - theres are not players that make us a better team and especially not if the cost also includes Rivet.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Habs13

How is Sammy with a ball? Can we sell him to Liverpool FC?

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Habitants

oh pls gainey do NOT bring in aucoin! i dont want this guy for 4 mil on 2 more seasons, he will only be another dissapointment! instead he should try to sign Johnsson this summer

not really interested in smolinski either,,
if we trade with chicago the easiest deal is straight up for Lapointe i would be happy with that.

otherwise package him to philly or PHX or florida
by package i mean likely with either Ryder or Perz + picks...

or trade him to detroit vs Lang

edit or even sammy and a pick vs Modin

but pls do not get Aucoin, he is not worth the coin :

Last edited by Habitants: 02-06-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:19 AM

What sucks in all of this is that he's come out publically, that lowers his value when it was already at an all time low.

I'm also sick of hearing these Aucoin rumours, Gainey (I hope) won't compound the mistake in signing Samsonov (who's only got 1.5 years left on his deal) by trading him for an even bigger mistake he himself almost made in Adrian Aucoin who's got another 2 years left on his deal.

Aucoin won't replace Souray in ANY way shape or form, I don't know what in his play the last 2 years has indicated that he could

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
oh pls gainey do NOT bring in aucoin! i dont want this guy for 4 mil on 2 more seasons, he will only be another dissapointment! instead he should try to sign Johnsson this summer

not really interested in smolinski either,,
if we trade with chicago the easiest deal is straight up for Lapointe i would be happy with that.

otherwise package him to philly or PHX or florida
by package i mean likely with either Ryder or Perz + picks...

or trade him to detroit vs Lang

but pls do not get Aucoin, he is not worth the coin :
I agree. Aucoin is a HUGE gamble. But if you want to get rid of 3.5 million $ contract, you have to pick up some fat, equivalent contract back. That's the new NHL reality. Aucoin makes sense if Rivet goes. And if Rivet goes... Then Koivu will cry to get out or prove us he is indeed a real leader and stick for the Habs.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
I agree. Aucoin is a HUGE gamble. But if you want to get rid of 3.5 million $ contract, you have to pick up some fat, equivalent contract back. That's the new NHL reality. Aucoin makes sense if Rivet goes. And if Rivet goes... Then Koivu will cry to get out or prove us he is indeed a real leader and stick for the Habs.
I'd put Samsonov on waivers before trading for Aucoin.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:24 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

what the hell were they doing, benching samsonov?

Samsonov could be the player we need in the playoffs, anyway, NO to aucoin, save the money for souray and markov.

Samsonov for Toews?

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:25 AM
GoGionta

Send a message via AIM to GoGionta Send a message via MSN to GoGionta
i can't believe what i read on this topic...

Carbo being the reason samsonov had a complete awful year ?

come on

GoGionta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
How is Sammy with a ball? Can we sell him to Liverpool FC?
yeah... He has probably played lots of soccer when he was young back in Russia. He has the perfect size for a soccer player.

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I don't think SJ would touch Samsonov. Plus, if what I read is correct, Bell has travel restrictions due to his legal problems.
Because he drove under the influence of alcool ? He is a Canadian citizen. I don't see the problem.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Not only is it a HUGE gamble, it's a stupid one.

Why make preventive moves now in case the Habs can't sign Souray/Markov, deal with that situation when you get there, for now, both of those players are Habs and that's all that matters.

When the offseason comes around then decisions will have to be made, but there's a ton of quality UFA dmen available who will come cheaper and are better than Aucoin.

I'm sick of hearing this rumour of Samsonov + Rivet for Aucoin + Smolinski

If Dave Tallon was offered this deal he would of made it weeks ago...

Old
02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockIsGoD View Post
I don't see WHY we would try to get Aucoin. If I am not mistaken, he stil has 3 years on his deal at like 4 mils. This would eat some very important cap space for Markov and Souray new contracts.
Agreed. At this point Aucoin's contrat is even more of an albatros than Samsonov's, and that's saying much, so I don't see us trading one problem for a bigger one.

Aucoin in today's NHL is not worth 4M per and we can pretty much kiss our chances to re-sign both Markov and Souray goodbye if we trade for him. There will be cheaper, better solutions than him on the free market this summer.

The perfect solution would be just to unload his salary without taking any significant amount back, but I doubt that happens. At the very worst, if we do trade him, I hope we get a guy whos contract ends this summer.

There's a part of me that understands Samsonov's anger because he WAS playing well alongside Bonk and Johnson, much more so than the struggling Higgins and ryder or the inconsistent Kovalev. It's a weird message to bench him, when I didn't think he was not working.

On the flip side, he's been putrid for 75% of the games he's played in and has produced like a 4th liner when he was counted on to bring offense. And he did have a tendency to slack and avoid contact in most games he's played in. So if you look at the big picture, it was obvious that Samsonov had become Carbo's odd man out.

The timing is all that was weird.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:28 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Agreed. At this point Aucoin's contrat is even more of an albatros than Samsonov's, and that's saying much, so I don't see us trading one problem for a bigger one.

Aucoin in today's NHL is not worth 4M per and we can pretty much kiss our chances to re-sign both Markov and Souray goodbye if we trade for him. There will be cheaper, better solutions than him on the free market this summer.

The perfect solution would be just to unload his salary without taking any significant amount back, but I doubt that happens. At the very worst, if we do trade him, I hope we get a guy whos contract ends this summer.

There's a part of me that understand Samsonov's anger because he WAS playing well alongside Bonk and Johnson, much more so than the struggling Higgins and ryder or the inconsistent Kovalev. It's a weird message to bench him, when I didn't think he was not working.

On the flip side, he's been putrid for 75% of the games he's played in and has produced like a 4th liner when he was counted on to bring offense. And he did have a tendency to slack and avoid contact in most games he's played in. So if you look at the big picture, it was obvious that Samsonov had become Carbo's odd man out.

The timing is all that was weird.
Playing well on a third line with a 3.5 million $ salary doesn't make sense. He was signed to create some offense, not defense. Anybody can look good playing with Bonk and Johnson this year. Don't be fooled by the way Samsonov performed lately.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I'd put Samsonov on waivers before trading for Aucoin.
Agreed...

Furthermore, I think this situation with Samsonov has taught us something.

Unless you can acquire a marquis free agent, like Shanahan this past summer for example, it's not worth giving out UFA contracts to marginal/2nd tier players....promote from within, especially if you have the ability to do so, and fill in the holes with short term free agents who you don't have to give alot of money too.

If you're gonna shell out the dough in the offseason, make sure it's to sign a big name...if not, it's just not worth it.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Not only is it a HUGE gamble, it's a stupid one.

Why make preventive moves now in case the Habs can't sign Souray/Markov, deal with that situation when you get there, for now, both of those players are Habs and that's all that matters.

When the offseason comes around then decisions will have to be made, but there's a ton of quality UFA dmen available who will come cheaper and are better than Aucoin.

I'm sick of hearing this rumour of Samsonov + Rivet for Aucoin + Smolinski

If Dave Tallon was offered this deal he would of made it weeks ago...
Don't get me wrong, I hate that deal proposal too.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
CHareth

Quote:
Playing well on a third line with a 3.5 million $ salary doesn't make sense. He was signed to create some offense, not defense. Anybody can look good playing with Bonk and Johnson this year. Don't be fooled by the way Samsonov performed lately.
Everyone said the same about Bonk when he was first acquired. You play the hand you'r edealt and try to make the most of it. An overpaid useful third liner is better than a reasonably paid useless second liner.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:34 AM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Dugaz View Post
The Journal de montreal is reporting that Sergei Samsonov asked his agent to be traded in the next weeks...

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelle...06-052702.html

And there's a strong rumour involving Chicago... Samsonov and Rivet vs Smolinski and Aucoin

Discuss
I can't say I'm surprised, nor do I feel badly for him. The only thing that's unfortunate is that his agent couldn't be more discrete.

My prediction is that wherever Samsonov goes, he will score 25 goals next season.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Well I'm not saying he'd be able to find a niche on the 3rd line where he's useful enough to justify his salary, it is more a comment on Carbo's logic and his repeated stance on playing the guys who want to play and are showing signs of working hard.

Well, my answer to that is that Samsonov, the past few games, has been working hard, and harder than a few other forwards, so his benching doesn't seem in line with Carbo's comments.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:35 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Carbo Diet View Post
Everyone said the same about Bonk when he was first acquired. You play the hand you'r edealt and try to make the most of it. An overpaid useful third liner is better than a reasonably paid useless second liner.
I certainly don't agree with that. And Bonk is paid "only" 2.4 million.... Was it a bad UFA signing ? Was he badly coached ? Or is he just plain sucking ? The answer: the three...

Old
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
Well I'm not saying he'd be able to find a niche on the 3rd line where he's useful enough to justify his salary, it is more a comment on Carbo's logic and his repeated stance on playing the guys who want to play and are showing signs of working hard.

Well, my answer to that is that Samsonov, the past few games, has been working hard, and harder than a few other forwards, so his benching doesn't seem in line with Carbo's comments.
I think it's basically a personnality conflict at this stage. They cannot stand each other. We don't know what's happening in the room.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Personally, I think the Habs are better off trying to get Samsonov to find his game again (which he seemed to be doing) which is the up to the player and the coaches, and then hope he has a decent 2nd half/playoffs, then hope another teams takes a chance on him in the offseason.

Afterall, he'll be an expiring contract after this year...a team looking for some skill could want to take a chance on him.

If the Habs want to maximise their return on Samsonov, that's what they should do IMO.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:39 AM
CHareth

Quote:
I certainly don't agree with that. And Bonk is paid "only" 2.4 million.... Was it a bad UFA signing ? Was he badly coached ? Or is he just plain sucking ? The answer: the three...
Bonk was at about the same price tag when he was acquired, and he was acquired to play on the third line. The lower salary comes from the rollback, which occurred well after the transaction, if I recall correctly. But that's neither here nor there.

I concur with your answers to the three questions. I'm just bitter at the prospect of Aucoin, who is not even an upgrade over Bouillon/Niinimaa.

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Personally, I think the Habs are better off trying to get Samsonov to find his game again (which he seemed to be doing) which is the up to the player and the coaches, and then hope he has a decent 2nd half/playoffs, then hope another teams takes a chance on him in the offseason.

Afterall, he'll be an expiring contract after this year...a team looking for some skill could want to take a chance on him.

If the Habs want to maximise their return on Samsonov, that's what they should do IMO.
Now, the bridges are burnt between him and Carbo. Too late. He must go.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:41 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:

In a perfect world, sure. Unfortunately that's all pretty irrelevant if Samsonov demands a trade. What are we going to do, force him to go out there and play?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote