HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings looking at Markov

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 11:22 AM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
On what planet does St Louis actually pull the trigger on this deal?
Go ask the Blues fan if they want to make the trade, they'll throw astewart at you laughing and running away with Eller. Stewart is basicly Andy Kostitsyn, he's deeply hated in Bluesland.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:22 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Markov for Clifford, Pearson and a 1st?

Talk to Markov and see if he still wants to stay and at what price. If you can't agree to the terms, then that package is quite decent.
May I have an assessment of Clifford and Pearson?

I mean, their stats aren't really impressive, but I realize 100% that stats don't tell the entire story.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Habsawce

vCash: 50
Markov & Bourque for Clifford, Pearson, Parenteau & 1st?

Yes please.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Dagistitsyn

Can hardly wait to see Gorges and Boullion back on the second PP unit and our first unit fail even more than ever.

Toffoli better be coming back. I don't give a **** about Clifford, we've got enough 4th liners. Losing Markov is huge. He is ELITE at what he does. Clifford is not a need anymore and the draft is weak this year.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

I mean, their stats aren't really impressive, but I realize 100% that stats don't tell the entire story.
Clifford is like Prust, but bigger and stronger. Can slide up and down the line up in an emergency but is the ideal 4th line player every team would want. I do believe he's played extensively on the 3rd line in LA though.

So Prust but bigger lol.

Pearson I don't know much about tbh.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:

hoto actually put it very nicely;

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I would rather a Toffoli than a Pearson, but I think that's a bit of a fantasy. I was lukewarm at best on Pearson when he was drafted, but he seems to be scoring at a good clip in the AHL. Could be a decent 2nd-3rd liner down the road. Not sure Markov is going to get you a real bluechipper but Pearson has some interesting upside.

Clifford may not be a sexy player either but those guys are hard to come by and have value beyond the scoresheet. The first will be a late pick but that's the nature of trading to a contender.

I wasn't crazy about it at first because I think we desperately need to upgrade our scoring and this deal doesn't really help that, but all things considered, it's not a bad package at all.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post
Can hardly wait to see Gorges and Boullion back on the second PP unit and our first unit fail even more than ever.

Toffoli better be coming back. I don't give a **** about Clifford, we've got enough 4th liners.
You gotta think the top 4 with Markov gone would be

Beaulieu-Subban (yes please!)
Emelin-Gorges

Not as good without Markov but with better forward lines able to close the gap and win puck battles I think we'd be better off.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:26 AM
Smokey Thompson

I'd definitely target Toffoli, the kid's a stud. Was one of LA's better wingers in the playoffs last year. I don't see them moving him for a rental though.

The package of Pearson, Clifford, 1st is actually a very nice looking package, all things considered. If we can't land a blue chipper, I'd pull the trigger. That 1st rounder would be a 20th overall pick if the draft were today.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
ESPN radio mentioned LA is looking at defenseman Andrew (its Andrei) Markov. San Jose and Colorado are also in the running for Markov's service. Its unclear if Bergervin will move Markov. Its believed that Kyle Clifford, Tanner Pearson and a 1st round pick is the asking price.

Louie Jean (some guy from sportsnet) said Colorado offered PA Parenteau for Rene Bourque. Bergervin said no and asked for Jamie Mcginn. Parenteau is not a grinder and Mcginn is. With the recent trade Raphael Diaz for Dale Weise, looks like the Habs are trying to get bigger and add grinders. I see Bergervin being interested in Clifford who has 5 points in 48 games this year.
Bergs is not going to trade Markov. He wouldn't get much for him and just traded Diaz, that would put him too thin on blue line depth heading the playoffs. Most Habs would get would be a 2nd round pick, Habs are better off keeping him.

Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
hoto actually put it very nicely;
So basically, 2 very physical grinders, of the bottom-6?

Old
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagistitsyn View Post

Toffoli better be coming back. I don't give a **** about Clifford, we've got enough 4th liners.
If we get Toffoli for Markov we'd be lucky, not that Markov isnt worth it but it would really help our weak forward group.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:28 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

Awards:
Quote:
So basically, 2 very physical grinders, of the bottom-6?
Pearson is a prospect with some good scoring upside. Potential second liner. So...

Potential second line scoring winger
Bigger, meaner Prust
1st round pick

Old
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

I'm not against trading Markov but certainly not for Clifford , Pearson and a 1st and i love Clifford. I would expect at least to get someone who has top 6/top 4 potential even if it means less pieces coming back

A guy like Toffoli would make more sense

Old
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I doubt that we make any impact in the playoffs. I say we trade Bourque/Markov/Briere/Gionta and move on with the youth.
What for? For those 4 all you get is return similar to Diaz. Somebody else's garbage. Junk for junk kind of moves.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Goalchenyuk87

I am not looking to acquire Pearson who has been drafted at 20yo.

I would dream about acquiring Toffoli for the next 30 days.

Let's face it LAK could move Toffoli to increase their chance to win the Cup once again.

Brown-Kopitar-Carter
King-Richards-Williams
Clifford-Stoll-Lewis
??????-Fraser-Frattin.
Toffoli is currently playing on the 1st line, but they have to make sacrifice to get into the SCF.

They have a good young prospect core and I think it is the price for General Markov.

I like Forbort size

Old
Runner77
#gangstA Ghetto 58

vCash: 3400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
I'd definitely target Toffoli, the kid's a stud. Was one of LA's better wingers in the playoffs last year. I don't see them moving him for a rental though.
You'd probably have to add a piece and if not, LAK would want the deal made contingent on signing longer term.

Old
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapVirus View Post
I'd go for : Markov + 2nd for Toffoli.

Toffoli will be a 70pts player in the NHL. Exactly what we need and that we dont have in our prospect pool.
Galchenyuk Plekanec Toffoli
Pacioretty DDH Gallagher
Clifford Eller Gionta
Weise Briere Prust
White Parros

Emelin Subban
Beaulieu Gorges
Murray Pateryn

Bourque traded for pick
Moen traded for Toffoli, Clifford

Wow our defense looks young and weak with Markov gone. It would definitely hurt rest of this season and may need to pick up another vet to have around.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Edgy

Quote:
Markov for Clifford, Pearson and a 1st?

Talk to Markov and see if he still wants to stay and at what price. If you can't agree to the terms, then that package is quite decent.
I usually agree with you on your value evaluations but you're way off here. That's not a package for Markov. Clifford is a grinder, Pearson isn't an upgrade over anyone in the system right now and the 1st is a glorified 2nd.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Pearson is a prospect with some good scoring upside. Potential second liner. So...

Potential second line scoring winger
Bigger, meaner Prust
1st round pick
That's.. not a bad package, indeed. You add kids like De La Rose, McCarro, and we might have a very physical team in 2-3 years.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

It would be a very nice return for Markov!

Please, make it happen!

Old
02-04-2014, 11:34 AM
PATCHESx67

offer is fair but why do we need to keep adding grinders,cant we just add to Markov and try to land Toffoli

Old
02-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
offer is fair but why do we need to keep adding grinders,cant we just add to Markov and try to land Toffoli
Maybe Toffoli doesn't have the character Bergevin and his 345 scouts are looking for

Old
02-04-2014, 11:35 AM
Smokey Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
You'd probably have to add a piece and if not, LAK would want the deal made contingent on signing longer term.
That could be a problem considering Markov fired his agent.

Not sure what we'd add though... Its pretty much an impossible deal now that I think about it. They need scoring and he's 5th in goals despite having only played 38 games.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
That's.. not a bad package, indeed. You add kids like De La Rose, McCarro, and we might have a very physical team in 2-3 years.
Yup, the fact is you just don't get top flight scoring players who are young via trade very often anymore. Those have to be drafted and developed so if there is an ability to trade for younger bottom 6 players who can actually play the game, fight and win puck battles you do it. Markov has been a good soldier but this team needs a face lift and you do what you can and hope the kids you drafted fit into the top 6.

Moen-Eller-Clifford
Prust-White-Weise

While not sexy, that's a heavy bottom 6 that can lean on teams and soften them up for our smaller speedy top 6 guys. Think about how much more effective Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta could be if they weren't taking the brunt of the beating from every defenseman in the league?

Side note: Everyone wants Toffoli which I completely agree with but I don't see why the LA Kings, who have a worse time scoring than us would trade one of their better young forwards who can actually put the puck in the back of the net. It doesn't add up for them. The trade presented here does make sense for them and it can make a lot of sense for us as well. It's a hockey trade and a win-win, unless Markov refuses to waive of course.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
TT1

toffoli would be awesome but theres no way LA would do that

Closed Thread