HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LA Kings looking at Markov

Closed Thread

Old
02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PATCHESx67 View Post
offer is fair but why do we need to keep adding grinders,cant we just add to Markov and try to land Toffoli
Toffoli and a 1st is the minimum I would want from LA, maybe more depending on what other teams offer.

If Kaberle can get Toronto Colborne, a 1st and a 2nd(conditional), we should AT LEAST get that. Maybe we have to eat a Mitchell or Greene as part of the deal to let them dump cap hit, that's fine.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:38 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Yup, the fact is you just don't get top flight scoring players who are young via trade very often anymore. Those have to be drafted and developed so if there is an ability to trade for younger bottom 6 players who can actually play the game, fight and win puck battles you do it. Markov has been a good soldier but this team needs a face lift and you do what you can and hope the kids you drafted fit into the top 6.

Moen-Eller-Clifford
Prust-White-Weise

While not sexy, that's a heavy bottom 6 that can lean on teams and soften them up for our smaller speedy top 6 guys. Think about how much more effective Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta could be if they weren't taking the brunt of the beating from every defenseman in the league?
Aye.

Big problem then is obviously out Top-4. Beaulieu is better no shat the bed

Old
02-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I would rather a Toffoli than a Pearson, but I think that's a bit of a fantasy. I was lukewarm at best on Pearson when he was drafted, but he seems to be scoring at a good clip in the AHL. Could be a decent 2nd-3rd liner down the road. Not sure Markov is going to get you a real bluechipper but Pearson has some interesting upside.

Clifford may not be a sexy player either but those guys are hard to come by and have value beyond the scoresheet. The first will be a late pick but that's the nature of trading to a contender.

I wasn't crazy about it at first because I think we desperately need to upgrade our scoring and this deal doesn't really help that, but all things considered, it's not a bad package at all.
I'm not sure I would pull that trade. I like Clifford, but enough with the grinders.
Prust, Moen, White, Weise, and now Clifford too? No thanks. I don't want my two bottom lines filled with grinders.

So I look at a prospect and 1st. Pearson is decent from what I've read. Don't know much about him, has improved production in the AHL over his last season, so that's good. Decent size. As you said 2nd-3rd line potential. So not that bad, but to me it's not enough.

As for the 1st, well, a late one in not the best draft.

If that is really the best offer LA can make, then I don't think I accept because I know Markov will attract a lot of attention from other contenders and I'm certain we could do better. There's also the possibility of us adding a prospect or pick or our own so we could reach for more too.

Personally, I don't want Markov dealt. I think it will create a big hole on Defense. Beaulieu is not ready to fill in Markov's shoes. Neither are Tinordi and Pat.
The only reason I want to see him moved, and I do so before the deadline, is if they're too far away from a deal.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
I usually agree with you on your value evaluations but you're way off here. That's not a package for Markov. Clifford is a grinder, Pearson isn't an upgrade over anyone in the system right now and the 1st is a glorified 2nd.
If you look at our goal scoring / offensive upside forward prospects, Pearson would be the only one measuring 6ft. He's probably an upgrade on Thomas, Collberg, Ghetto, Lehkonen. He's the closest to being NHL ready in any case.

And that 1st is 20th overall as of today.

Old
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Bergs is not going to trade Markov. He wouldn't get much for him and just traded Diaz, that would put him too thin on blue line depth heading the playoffs. Most Habs would get would be a 2nd round pick, Habs are better off keeping him.
If we trade Markov, I wouldn't be spending my time worrying about the playoffs, especially if we're trading Gionta and maybe another player or two.

Old
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Aye.

Big problem then is obviously out Top-4. Beaulieu is better no shat the bed
Beaulieu-Subban would have some growing pains and it's a lot of pressure to put on the kid but that's how stars are born. You play with a Norris winner who can do everythign with the puck and the kid will learn from him and grow.

We're not winning the cup this year, so why not let him grow with Subban. Those 2 are perfect for each other, both big, strong and have out of this world puck skills. They would take very little abuse from forechecking and with soem confidence from playign together coudl dominate the league.

Old
sheed36

I'm a little surprised this thread is still open TBH. Usually threads like these without a valid source link are closed until someone else can confirm they also heard the radio report. Nice to see HF being more lenient on such things.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:41 AM
rockjngo

Moving Markov would give $5.5 million to Subban.

Old
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
1st pick.
Former 1st pick F with good progression.
depth F player with size and grit.

The asking price is fair for a player of Markov skill and status (UFA).

Kaberle landed a similar return in 2011. Colborne (former 16th overall) + 1st pick + 2nd pick.

Id like to keep Markov around but if contract talks are difficult you have to make a move for the future of the team.

Old
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgy View Post
I usually agree with you on your value evaluations but you're way off here. That's not a package for Markov. Clifford is a grinder, Pearson isn't an upgrade over anyone in the system right now and the 1st is a glorified 2nd.
Clifford is another Prust. You wouldn't take that on your bottom 6?

Pearson IS an upgrade over quite a few prospects. I'd take him.

Glorified 2nd rounders landed the Habs a Fucale and a De La Rose last year. But hey, that's just me...

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
02-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Toffoli and a 1st is the minimum I would want from LA, maybe more depending on what other teams offer.

If Kaberle can get Toronto Colborne, a 1st and a 2nd(conditional), we should AT LEAST get that. Maybe we have to eat a Mitchell or Greene as part of the deal to let them dump cap hit, that's fine.
I need some of what your smoking dude...

Old
02-04-2014, 11:43 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not sure I would pull that trade. I like Clifford, but enough with the grinders.
Prust, Moen, White, Weise, and now Clifford too? No thanks. I don't want my two bottom lines filled with grinders.

So I look at a prospect and 1st. Pearson is decent from what I've read. Don't know much about him, has improved production in the AHL over his last season, so that's good. Decent size. As you said 2nd-3rd line potential. So not that bad, but to me it's not enough.

As for the 1st, well, a late one in not the best draft.

If that is really the best offer LA can make, then I don't think I accept because I know Markov will attract a lot of attention from other contenders and I'm certain we could do better. There's also the possibility of us adding a prospect or pick or our own so we could reach for more too.

Personally, I don't want Markov dealt. I think it will create a big hole on Defense. Beaulieu is not ready to fill in Markov's shoes. Neither are Tinordi and Pat.
The only reason I want to see him moved, and I do so before the deadline, is if they're too far away from a deal.
We're not scoring goals on the bottom 2 lines and if we do it's grinding goals from 2 feet in front of the net. This is the style they want to implement so it makes a lot more sense to supplement the team with players that can do that instead of trying to jam that square peg.

Yeah it would suck to lose Markov, but this is a business and the kid Beaulieu is showing a lot right now and I can't see the harm letting him get his bumps before we're ready to actually contend.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:44 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Yup, the fact is you just don't get top flight scoring players who are young via trade very often anymore. Those have to be drafted and developed so if there is an ability to trade for younger bottom 6 players who can actually play the game, fight and win puck battles you do it. Markov has been a good soldier but this team needs a face lift and you do what you can and hope the kids you drafted fit into the top 6.

Moen-Eller-Clifford
Prust-White-Weise

While not sexy, that's a heavy bottom 6 that can lean on teams and soften them up for our smaller speedy top 6 guys. Think about how much more effective Gallagher, Desharnais and Gionta could be if they weren't taking the brunt of the beating from every defenseman in the league?

Side note: Everyone wants Toffoli which I completely agree with but I don't see why the LA Kings, who have a worse time scoring than us would trade one of their better young forwards who can actually put the puck in the back of the net. It doesn't add up for them. The trade presented here does make sense for them and it can make a lot of sense for us as well. It's a hockey trade and a win-win, unless Markov refuses to waive of course.
If they need scoring we can toss them Briere. He scores goals with only 2 minutes ice time

Old
02-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Gary320

If you trade Andrei Markov. I'd trade him at the deadline. That's when teams will overpay for a QB on the powerplay.

I don't see Markov has part of the plans in 5 years... so why wouldn't you get something serious if it's available in return?

Old
02-04-2014, 11:46 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Beaulieu-Subban would have some growing pains and it's a lot of pressure to put on the kid but that's how stars are born. You play with a Norris winner who can do everythign with the puck and the kid will learn from him and grow.

We're not winning the cup this year, so why not let him grow with Subban. Those 2 are perfect for each other, both big, strong and have out of this world puck skills. They would take very little abuse from forechecking and with soem confidence from playign together coudl dominate the league.
I do know that Beaulieu-Subban pairing this year has been really promising!

Oh well. I'd roll the dice and just.. just be ready to withstand the growing pains. Just be ready to realize that we are going to have a rookie as part of our Top-4.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

It's the perfect time to trade Markov. He has value and he's not a part of our futur!

Old
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
PricePkPatch

I hope people also realize that trading Markov (and not signing him as a UFA) means we have plenty of Cap space left to resign Subban, substitute Gionta for Vanek and still have leftover

Old
02-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
I do know that Beaulieu-Subban pairing this year has been really promising!

Oh well. I'd roll the dice and just.. just be ready to withstand the growing pains. Just be ready to realize that we are going to have a rookie as part of our Top-4.
We've seen Bouillon and Gorges on the top pair for a good chunk of this season I think we can withstand a few growing pains from Brolieu. The fact that he actually possesses the skill set to be a #2 defenseman is more than enough for me to be patient, just like how we were all patient in 2012 because we knew a good draft was coming and management/coaching was going to be turned over.

The fruits of our pain on the horizon. I seriously would love this trade, and I've always been a huge Markov fan.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Habsawce

Quote:
I hope people also realize that trading Markov (and not signing him as a UFA) means we have plenty of Cap space left to resign Subban, substitute Gionta for Vanek and still have leftover
Vanek is going to Minnesota, that's already all but done. Moulson could be interesting though to replace Gionta.

Old
02-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I really hope the rejecting PAP for Bourque is not true...sadly it seems very Bergevin.

Old
googlymoogly

Quote:

You can't put our two puck movers together. That leaves
Emelin
Gorges
Murray
Cube
Tinordi
Pateryn
Whiskie

Of those D Emelin has shown some decent passing skills

Probably need to go with
Emelin Subban
Gorges Beulieu
Murray Pateryn(my choice) over Cube

I'd like to see Emelin back at left with Subban. Has it been done yet? I never seem to remember seeing them together.

Old
Habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I really hope the rejecting PAP for Bourque is not true...sadly it seems very Bergevin.
Poker bluff I'm sure. If it's actually on the table you'd think he would pull the trigger at the deadline if they didn't bite and swap McGinn

Old
02-04-2014, 11:52 AM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
We're not scoring goals on the bottom 2 lines and if we do it's grinding goals from 2 feet in front of the net. This is the style they want to implement so it makes a lot more sense to supplement the team with players that can do that instead of trying to jam that square peg.
We aren't scoring goals on the top 2 either

Old
02-04-2014, 11:52 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Vanek is going to Minnesota, that's already all but done. Moulson could be interesting though to replace Gionta.
How do you know that? Why can we be so sure?

(replace Gionta with Jagr then :-P Or Moulson)

Old
02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
Moving Markov would give $5.5 million to Subban.
Does he have somekind of "Markov trade" bonus clause in his contract?

Closed Thread