HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
02-03-2014, 05:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Gus needed Schenn and Schenn needed Gus.

I think they compliment each other's weaknesses perfectly.
Yup, they both played extremely well with Kimmo too but I mean who doesn't play well with the Finnish God of Ice Hockey?

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 10:47 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I'm still confident that Schenn will be a rock for a long while here, so while we may not have won the trade I'm over it. I suggest people follow suit.
it's a discussion board, this trade will likely be discussed for quite some time-with heavy who won it/who lost it overtones, so you should probably get used to that, unregardless of your confidence either way.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
it's a discussion board, this trade will likely be discussed for quite some time-with heavy who won it/who lost it overtones, so you should probably get used to that, unregardless of your confidence either way.
I'm already used to it. The fact that it continues to happen doesn't make it any less stupid.

Old
02-03-2014, 11:18 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
it's a discussion board
Yup. Not a depression board. Let's put the bottle down and move on.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 11:53 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yup. Not a depression board. Let's put the bottle down and move on.
Who is this directed at? I hope it's not me cause all I did was suggest an unbiased outlook of the trade. I guess that's crazy talk around these parts.

Old
02-04-2014, 12:17 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Who is this directed at? I hope it's not me cause all I did was suggest an unbiased outlook of the trade. I guess that's crazy talk around these parts.
only the guy i quoted i agree with you

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
only the guy i quoted i agree with you
I feel stupid.

Old
02-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Curufinwe

Luke is now even for the season.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
This is really really strange how well he's played with Gus.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 09:05 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
This is really really strange how well he's played with Gus.
Not really. He was a rock last year playing 22 minutes a night with Kimmo and Gus at various points. Gus has been quoted numerous times saying how much he's learned from Kimmo, it's no wonder Gus' game mirrors his so much. Even earlier this season Gus and Schenn were far and away better then the Schenn-Streit and Schenn-Mez pairings.

These two should not be broken up cause they are an excellent second pairing right now.

Old
02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I'm not at all surprised his play improves after moving off a pairing with a guy who handles the puck like an active grenade

02-04-2014, 11:16 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

The young man is a stud and I hope he plays here for the rest of his career. Keep Gus and him together. Move Kimmo and or Mez.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
I'm already used to it. The fact that it continues to happen doesn't make it any less stupid.
discussing who won or lost a trade down the line isn't stupid
it's part and parcel of the larger discussion.
I like Schenn and hope he turns into what a lot of folks thought he would.
I also like(d) JVR, and like many others, thought perhaps this wasn't the right deal.

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
MP92
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The young man is a stud and I hope he plays here for the rest of his career. Keep Gus and him together. Move Kimmo and or Mez.
Stud is not a word anyone should use to describe Luke Schenn. I'll give him credit for playing better as of late but in no way is he or will ever be a stud.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:35 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Well, I know many of you don't like what Dustin Byfuglien brings to the table but if the Flyers somehow aqcuire him in the off-season without gutting the prospect pool we could see something like

Coburn - Byfuglien
Gustaffson - L.Schenn
Streit - M.Alt

That's a leftie and a rightie on every line.

With Timonen calling it a career, Meszaros not resigned and Grossmann traded we'd have a much more mobile D, still big and with much better 2-way-play.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Stud is not a word anyone should use to describe Luke Schenn. I'll give him credit for playing better as of late but in no way is he or will ever be a stud.
Yup..that is a misnomer if I ever seen one. A stud can neutralize a player like Nieto at will....Luke Schenn will never really be able to do that because he has skating limitations (footwork and speed) and now apparently like the argument against Carle (ironically)..he can only be effective if complemented properly (e.g. Gus). That is not a stud defender..sorry!

Now he can be a good second pairing guy if he plays within his limitations but by no means do I see him as a stud d man particularly in this league of speed. Having said this I'm glad he is not as much of a liability of late...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Well, I know many of you don't like what Dustin Byfuglien brings to the table but if the Flyers somehow aqcuire him in the off-season without gutting the prospect pool we could see something like

Coburn - Byfuglien
Gustaffson - L.Schenn
Streit - M.Alt

That's a leftie and a rightie on every line.

With Timonen calling it a career, Meszaros not resigned and Grossmann traded we'd have a much more mobile D, still big and with much better 2-way-play.
What scares me is that Holmgren is probably looking to do something like this with losing Timonen. I really don't want us to give up too much to find a stop gap player, and especially somebody like Byfuglien.

I'd rather overpay for somebody like Boyle, as a UFA, and wait for one of our prospects to become an impact player.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
What scares me is that Holmgren is probably looking to do something like this with losing Timonen. I really don't want us to give up too much to find a stop gap player, and especially somebody like Byfuglien.

I'd rather overpay for somebody like Boyle, as a UFA, and wait for one of our prospects to become an impact player.
Holmgren has tunnel vision at times so it wouldn't surprise me if he has his blinders on with respect to Big Buff. Having said this ...he is definitely a commodity on any team and he has become more disciplined but still have my concerns and def do not want to overpay for him...which we might do.

Old
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
discussing who won or lost a trade down the line isn't stupid
it's part and parcel of the larger discussion.
I like Schenn and hope he turns into what a lot of folks thought he would.
I also like(d) JVR, and like many others, thought perhaps this wasn't the right deal.
But this is a player discussion thread not a trade discussion thread. Too many people hold the trade against him as if he had a hand in the deal. Many can't separate the two during their evaluation of Schenn and that is stupid.

Old
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Holmgren has tunnel vision at times so it wouldn't surprise me if he has his blinders on with respect to Big Buff. Having said this ...he is definitely a commodity on any team and he has become more disciplined but still have my concerns and def do not want to overpay for him...which we might do.
I know what you mean. But at the end of the day you have to give to get, especially on D. Coupled with the fact we REALLY need a top defender other teams will try to take advantage on this.

Actually, there is that other guy called Shea We ...

Old
02-04-2014, 12:52 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
But this is a player discussion thread not a trade discussion thread. Too many people hold the trade against him as if he had a hand in the deal. Many can't separate the two during their evaluation of Schenn and that is stupid.
You're right, my bad.

Old
02-04-2014, 01:51 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Ok Pierre.

FLYguy3911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Yup..that is a misnomer if I ever seen one. A stud can neutralize a player like Nieto at will....Luke Schenn will never really be able to do that because he has skating limitations (footwork and speed) and now apparently like the argument against Carle (ironically)..he can only be effective if complemented properly (e.g. Gus). That is not a stud defender..sorry!

Now he can be a good second pairing guy if he plays within his limitations but by no means do I see him as a stud d man particularly in this league of speed. Having said this I'm glad he is not as much of a liability of late...
Firstly, I want to distinguish between being bad at skating and slow. Schenn is slow as molasses, but he is pretty strong on his skates and maneuvers reasonably well in tight spaces.

Along those lines, there are plenty of very good modern NHL defenseman who can't skate with great speed. Chris Pronger learned at a latter stage in his career how to be a monster without footspeed.

Over the last week, Schenn has been considerably better than "not a liability" to anyone who actually cared to watch. He's been every bit as effective as Coburn over this time frame as Coburn who is unanimously considered a good (and fast) defenseman.

I accept that it's extremely unlikely that Schenn will ever be a top pairing ES defenseman, if the last 3-4 games reflects what he can become as a defenseman on a consistent basis, he can definitely be a highend 3/4. We'll see as he ages.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 03:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Firstly, I want to distinguish between being bad at skating and slow. Schenn is slow as molasses, but he is pretty strong on his skates and maneuvers reasonably well in tight spaces.

Along those lines, there are plenty of very good modern NHL defenseman who can't skate with great speed. Chris Pronger learned at a latter stage in his career how to be a monster without footspeed.

Over the last week, Schenn has been considerably better than "not a liability" to anyone who actually cared to watch. He's been every bit as effective as Coburn over this time frame as Coburn who is unanimously considered a good (and fast) defenseman.

I accept that it's extremely unlikely that Schenn will ever be a top pairing ES defenseman, if the last 3-4 games reflects what he can become as a defenseman on a consistent basis, he can definitely be a highend 3/4. We'll see as he ages.
He may be strong on his skates which is evident in that he is 3rd in the league in hits as a D man but I'm not so sure about this characterization of maneuvering "reasonably well" in tight spaces. Last night and of late he has played a good game for the most part but was far from flawless and a number of times got burned due to the shiftiness and speed of some of the Sharks players like Marleau and Nieto (the latter actually burned him for a goal). Not saying he should be perfect (what D man is) and agree if he becomes more consistent he can be a pretty good 3/4 but again I'm not so sure he'll ever be the "shutdown" D or "stud" that he was touted as being or some say he could become or already is. His limitations which include limited hockey IQ are manageable but not resolveable IMO.

Comparing him to Pronger is also a false equivalency. Pronger was slow but he also had the reach that Schenn will never have ..obviously. Coburn has that element too but obviously has good speed for a big man. Kjell Samuelsson used to be like seaweed in that regard. Schenn has a good first pass like Pronger but he is always going to be prone to "running around" due to his physical limitations with foot speed and foot work which he had to work on with the coaching staff this year when he was getting benched. Again..it is manageable (especially if he's complemented properly and doesn't weigh himself down with muscle) but not resolvable to where he'll be a shutdown D man. He's always going to have to work hard since he doesn't have natural skill. If he doesn't that is where the inconsistency comes in....although some people attribute it still to age which is valid but to a certain extent.

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 02-04-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old
02-04-2014, 03:13 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
. Last night and of late he has played a good game for the most part but was far from flawless and a number of times got burned due to the shiftiness and speed of some of the Sharks players like Marleau and Nieto (the latter actually burned him for a goal).
Schenn, well... Luke Schenn, wasn't even on the ice for either Nieto goal last night.

See: http://www.extraskater.com/player/4/luke-schenn

Luke Schenn hasn't been on the ice for a goal against in 5 consecutive games.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote