HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mark Messier-Future Rangers GM?

Old
02-01-2007, 04:02 PM
TorontoSports

vCash: 500
man, if he messes up I don't want to have to lynch him.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2007, 04:05 PM
proici

vCash: 250
I have been saying to my friends since Messier's last season that he needed to be head coach. When I think about him coming back to the organization, it makes me feel like we have a real leader again.

And anyone who does not appreciate that this man was, on and off the ice, one of the greatest players ever, needs their head checked.

proici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 01:40 PM
94now

As I sad elsewhere Sather could use a good GM while being Team President. Messier? I'm not sure. On one hand he has no experience, on the other hand... This is new league and therefore the previous experience might be a burden...
The article implies the possibility with Rangers as an organization rather than NYR. There are many teams under Rangers umbrella. WolfPacks would be a good start for Mark in case Shoenfield would come to New York.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Messier wants to replace Sather.Mess is moving back to New York after he moved to Hilton Head

Quote:
"I'm going to have discussions with Glen. I don't know how long Glen is going to keep doing it. Maybe he'll continue for another five or 10 years.

"I just know New York fits best for me and my family. And this is what I know best and what I love the most," Messier said of taking two years away from the game to think through what he'd like to do with the rest of his life. He retired as a player in September 2005.
Quote:
Could Messier move back to New York and begin an apprenticeship under the current Rangers GM?

"He probably could," Sather said. "We'd have to sit down and figure out a lot of details.

"The first thing would be to be sure it's what he really wants to do because it's not something you can work at part time.

"I talked to him previously, just last spring, and he wasn't sure.

"I'm glad he's interested. He has been able to accomplish everything he set his mind to at this stage in his life
http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Ho...40009-sun.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:24 AM
zacn

Messier, "the captain/the gm?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2755952

Can't say we can get much worse than with Sather. Could this mean Sather is considering leaving soon? What are people thinking?

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2755952

Can't say we can get much worse than with Sather. Could this mean Sather is considering leaving soon? What are people thinking?
I think this all but guarantees he'll be the next Rangers GM...and I have a lot of misgivings about it.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The day Mess takes over as GM I can see the headlines already.

"Coach Tom Renney Fired"

"Iron Mike Back In New York"

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:28 AM
In The Flesh

He's the next best alternative, especially for the rangers, he understands the fans and the city.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:36 AM
RedLightDistrict

I don't like the sound of this. Although i'd love Mess in some managing position, he should hone his ability by studying under Don Maloney once he ascends to the position of GM. DM's paid his dues; lets see him as the GM once Sather leaves.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:41 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
He's the next best alternative, especially for the rangers, he understands the fans and the city.
Yes, and lets not forget that Sather was once a player too, AND he played for the Rangers.

Messier did say he didnt know how long Sather wanted to keep his job "another 5 or 10 years" ?

In any event, you know that Messier would really do everything he could to make this team a winner. But would his nice guy attitude and over emotional character be the right fit for New York City? Not sure.

If i had to pick Sather or Messier in the offseason i would have to say Mess just for the sake of change.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:42 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerbunny1024 View Post
I don't like the sound of this. Although i'd love Mess in some managing position, he should hone his ability by studying under Don Maloney once he ascends to the position of GM. DM's paid his dues; lets see him as the GM once Sather leaves.
I agree with that, but if you read the article even Sather says that Mess would have to do that to a certain degree.

Quote:
Most guys who have stepped in as a general manager have worked to get a little background, either in coaching or working under others in an organization. I think there are necessary steps to take."

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Stoney La Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I agree with that, but if you read the article it suggestes that Mess would have to do that to certain degree.
I don't know, didn't Garth Snow's signing as GM sort of blow the whole "pay your dues" thing out of the water?

I see this happening. Nothing with Mess is haphazard. If he's going through the trouble of coming back to NYC when he could be enjoying every day out on the links in Hilton Head, it's already done. Good or bad? Not sure, but I have the strangest feeling that he might actually work out as a GM. Just as long as he doesn't come out of retirement, I'm happy, lol.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Larry Melnyk

We are in a world of **** if Messier is our next GM...Cronism run amuck....I'm sure Don Maloney is really happy with Messier's egotisitical ramblings..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
We are in a world of **** if Messier is our next GM...Cronism run amuck....I'm sure Don Maloney is really happy with Messier's egotisitical ramblings..
Pretty sure that even Mess would know that he has to work with his peers to build a winning team. I do NOT think Mess would be happy with a team of underachievers and losing all the time. He's far too much of a competitor for that.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:11 AM
zacn

I think the best thing about this move would be who Mess brings with him. He will draw the attention of other recently retired hockey players and we could finally luck out and get some of the new guard of excellent personel, including the coaching staff.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
I think the best thing about this move would be who Mess brings with him. He will draw the attention of other recently retired hockey players and we could finally luck out and get some of the new guard of excellent personel, including the coaching staff.
Doesn't work like that. If anything, the guys that retire will want to stay away from the Mark Messier broadway show extravaganza.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipsydoodle View Post
I don't know, didn't Garth Snow's signing as GM sort of blow the whole "pay your dues" thing out of the water?

I see this happening. Nothing with Mess is haphazard. If he's going through the trouble of coming back to NYC when he could be enjoying every day out on the links in Hilton Head, it's already done. Good or bad? Not sure, but I have the strangest feeling that he might actually work out as a GM. Just as long as he doesn't come out of retirement, I'm happy, lol.
I don't know that it does yet...Snow has yet to accomplish anything, and at least some thought he got the position because he was okay with the micro-managing style of the ownership.

Another guy who went straight into the GM position was Barnett in Phoenix who went from being a player agent to a GM, without an interim step...not that you can exactly call that experiment a success either.

The reality is there are few GMs that haven't either coached first, or been an assistant first. I think for most people that's something that they need to do to "hone their skills", but there will always be the exception.

In terms of Messier, I think for the most part he's an unknown quantity in the position. He has the media savvy that will allow him to deal with one of the most difficult part of the Rangers organization, the relationship between the organization and the media and fans, he also is a driven individual who is not afraid of making decisions.

The question I guess I have with him is whether he has the attention to detail that is needed, or whether he can bring in people who are detail oriented that he'll listen to. Tom Renney is a detail guy, and I think he's done a lot for the organization in terms of the way they evaluate talent, develop it and how Hartford is managed. While the success hasn't been there yet, I think that he has at least put the framework in there.

By contrast Sather is more of a big picture guy, which I'm expecting Messier will be also. Both in some ways share many other characteristics too, and it would be interesting to see who Messier would surround himself with.

One of my biggest fears with Messier is like Sather he'll go back to the past and bring in a bunch of his cronies, without really doing a more thorough analysis of who might be the best people that are out there.

All this is of course speculation on my part as there really is no way of telling what he'll do because he doesn't have a track record as anything other than a player.

I think Messier is a very unique individual, and he brings a lot of desirable qualities, I'm just not certain whether the things that make him strong, his conviction, his leadership, might also overshadow his ability to make unbiased, business-type decisions for the organization.

Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
towely

vCash: 1050
i do agree he has to get his feet wet. but i think alot of people overlook the fact that after 20 + seasons in the nhl and through the majority of his career he had say in some of the personel decisions whith the teams he played with and being a very sucessfull businessman outside of hockey that he knows a little more then you might think from all that experience.
as i say its a given he needs to learn the job but its not like he is just walking off the street and knows nothing about the game.
plus it might be a good change from the grumpy never happy sather he certainly would be more vocal in a positive way with the fans in interveiws and with mess i dont think he will keep the youngsters on the fence like sather does as well as never gives these kids any insight as to their future with the team.
thats one quality of mess i always liked if he does not like what you bring to the team and the game you wont be around too long.
if not bringing mess in is based on the insight of his lack of experience
shouldnt that insight have been used in realizing sathers sucsess was based on a team assembled 20+ years ago in a totally different nhl and prior to coming here did not do to much in the previous dozen years.
we had neil smith and now sather who could we get that could be any worse.

towely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by towely View Post
i do agree he has to get his feet wet. but i think alot of people overlook the fact that after 20 + seasons in the nhl and through the majority of his career he had say in some of the personel decisions whith the teams he played with and being a very sucessfull businessman outside of hockey that he knows a little more then you might think from all that experience.
I'm sure he does but, in his win for me now mode, he also was a major driver for some of the trades and FA signings that totally derailed this organization...Churla, Hurri, McSorley...hmmm..I would truly question his acumen as a GM..

Old
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Edmonton Sun by Terry Jones who is close to all of the former Oiler greats did say Messier would serve an apprenticeship under Sather

Main Entry: 1apĚprenĚtice
Pronunciation: &-'pren-t&s
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: Middle English aprentis, from Anglo-French apprentiz, from aprendre to learn, from Latin apprendere, apprehendere
1 a : one bound by indenture to serve another for a prescribed period with a view to learning an art or trade b : one who is learning by practical experience under skilled workers a trade, art, or calling
2 : an inexperienced person : NOVICE <an apprentice in cooking>
- apĚprenĚticeĚship /-t&(sh)-"ship, -t&s-"ship/ noun

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I'm sure he does but, in his win for me now mode, he also was a major driver for some of the trades and FA signings that totally derailed this organization...Churla, Hurri, McSorley...hmmm..I would truly question his acumen as a GM..
That's a good point. As a scout he is quite a question mark. (or Mark?) The best GMs in the the league are great scouts.

Last edited by 94now: 02-06-2007 at 12:27 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Edmonton Sun by Terry Jones who is close to all of the former Oiler greats did say Messier would serve an apprenticeship under Sather
There has been alot of talk that Maloney is the main mover and shaker and that Sather as the Omnipotnet Overseer gives his approval/disapproaval..Have no idea if that is true...But, if it is, what exactly would Messier be learing in his apprenticship under Commander McSather? Or maybe the question would be, when does Don Maloney start looking for another job?

Old
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Would be great. He has an excellent work ethic, he wants to win hockey games over anything in the world, he loves the city and the city loves him back. Regardless if it's Mess or not, a trained monkey would be a better GM than Sather

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Messier wanting to play with his buddies Kurri & Mcsorely while being a player should have nothing to do with his GM 'skills'. Plus that was what 10 years ago?

I'm not a great supporter of anything 'Oiler', i'm sick of this connection that has been going on almost 20 years after the oiler dynasty. BUT I do think its wrong to criticize Mess as a GM because of his backing the Kurri/Mcsorely deal.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:37 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Coaching doesn't allow for daily trips to the golf course
Somehow, it does if you're working for the Rangers.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote