HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

BREAKING NEWS: Sean Avery Traded to Rangers!

Old
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Larry Melnyk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
Funny thing is, with Girardi, TSN says they think he has a lot of offensive potential. I don't see it. I think the 40 points he scored last year at the AHL level kind of covered their eyes a bit. The guy is a good passer and amassed a lot of secondary assists, most likely, which padded his stats a bit. I don't see him as an offensive player by any means.

His defense is what counts. Steady and solid.
Personally, I loved Girardi in the AHL and he earned a call up. But to me, he looks out of his depth in the NHL and frequently out of position...I'm just not sure he will be anything more then a 6th/7th D-man but, for now, I have no problem with him playing

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Yes, but Giardi was actually really good at the junior level. People just didn't think he'd translate to the pro game, and they were very wrong.

This kid we got looks like a walking stiff.
Agreed. He's the exact definition of a throw in.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:12 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Personally, I loved Girardi in the AHL and he earned a call up. But to me, he looks out of his depth in the NHL and frequently out of position...I'm just not sure he will be anything more then a 6th/7th D-man but, for now, I have no problem with him playing
But I'm fine with him as our 6th/7th guy. He's reliable out there and I really haven't noticed him being out of position at all. I actually think he'd make a perfect 6/7 guy for us.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Agreed. He's the exact definition of a throw in.
Ziggy Stardust (Kings fan and HFBoards poster) said that the reason he was included was probably because the Kings were close to the reserve limit. He is a complete throw-in no matter what Il Rigatoni says.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:16 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Will the Rangers sign Seymour?I don't think so.He will be back in the draft in June

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
But I'm fine with him as our 6th/7th guy. He's reliable out there and I really haven't noticed him being out of position at all. I actually think he'd make a perfect 6/7 guy for us.
I'm talking about the future..Right now he just looks like an AHL player..I don't see the reliability and his constant pointing while doing nothing irks me..Nothing against the kids, just calling his play as I see it...Hoepfully it improves..

Old
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I'm talking about the future..Right now he just looks like an AHL player..I don't see the reliability and his constant pointing while doing nothing irks me..Nothing against the kids, just calling his play as I see it...Hoepfully it improves..
No, Larry, don't get me wrong. I'm talking about the future, too. I see him as our future bottom pairing d-man and nothing more. I like him in that role, though.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Knowing Shanny, he will do a good job and as an Islander fan, that scares me...

If Avery can clean up his act and focus on putting the puck on the net, I think he could be very effective.
Clean up his act? I am sorry but I do not know what you mean.
Rangers know what they are getting in Avery... he does what he does and thats why he is in NY now. Agitator with some offensive ability, that may shrink because he will not get so much ice time playing for the Rangers.
Scoring goals is a bonus in his case.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:36 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Clean up his act? I am sorry but I do not know what you mean.
Rangers know what they are getting in Avery... he does what he does and thats why he is in NY now. Agitator with some offensive ability, that may shrink because he will not get so much ice time playing for the Rangers.
Scoring goals is a bonus in his case.
well see alot of this, suckerpunch to Shane Doan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOwsE...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8k3Azx60I

Last edited by BDubinskyNYR17*: 02-06-2007 at 11:41 AM.
BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
i just hope this doesn't turn out to be like the Cullen situation with Avery expected to do more than he can and i hope this trade doesn't make Tom Satheroney feel like they've plugged the 1st/2nd line center hole..
I think going foward every trade/and or move is going to be similar to the Cullen situation, because at this point we're all hoping for someone to provide that missing something. I think Avery'll be a good start, but it's going to take more than just him.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Girardi wasn't an offensive d-man. He was a defensive d-man. Why would you sit there and mock what I said about him with a stupid post about points? He was never expected to put points up and never really did. He's not doing it now and won't in the future. Lose your cocky attitude.

And if you're SO smart and have obviously seen Seymour play many, many times, tell me what he's like. I mean, why is it that the guy can't score 10 points at the OHL level in a single season?

In 187 OHL games, he's amassed a grand total of 21 points. As a forward. And he's not an enforcer, I take it, by looking at his PIM stats.
Lose the cocky attitude? Out of all people, I'd expect you to be the last person to say that being a pretty boisterous poster. All I am doing is calling you out on being up on Girardi when many were out in left field as some things are just not adding up. If his defense is what you said, "His defense is what counts. Steady and solid." Then how is a kid like that not translatable to the pro game?

I can't comment on Seymour, and as someone ELSE kindly offered a better suggestion, I am more inclined to think he was a part of the trade so the Kings could maintain the 50 player list. That makes more sense than kindly taking back some other teams stiff.

WEB - http://www.draftbuzzhockey.com
TWITTER - https://twitter.com/draftbuzzhockey
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Lose the cocky attitude? Out of all people, I'd expect you to be the last person to say that being a pretty boisterous poster. All I am doing is calling you out on being up on Girardi when many were out in left field as some things are just not adding up. If his defense is what you said, "His defense is what counts. Steady and solid." Then how is a kid like that not translatable to the pro game?

I can't comment on Seymour, and as someone ELSE kindly offered a better suggestion, I am more inclined to think he was a part of the trade so the Kings could maintain the 50 player list. That makes more sense than kindly taking back some other teams stiff.
Are they not one in the same?

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Are they not one in the same?
In this case yes, but best believe the Rangers are not taking the guy back if the Kings do not have a roster limit problem. What would be the point of that? Just make the trade for Avery and that is that.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:29 PM
The Big Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
In this case yes, but best believe the Rangers are not taking the guy back if the Kings do not have a roster limit problem. What would be the point of that? Just make the trade for Avery and that is that.
Have you seen Seymour play? Do you even know what position he plays? Or are you just basing your opinion on his stats?

Last edited by The Big Apple: 02-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.
The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
Have you seen Seymour play? Do you even know what position he plays? Or are you just basing your opinion on his stats?
lol, thanks for bringing things back around. i have not seen him play. but if he was not a throw in, for the sake of the helping the Kings roster limit, then as I was saying before, the Rangers must have seen something they thought they could tap in him. Regardless of stats. That's why I mentioned Girardi, and then here we are.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:23 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
This is Sean Avery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ9kx-U_ka8

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
They aren't, thats the problem.

Avery can skate, and he gets a lot of minutes for a team like LA. That's the only reason he's got 28pts. He actually gets PP time in LA. Check out how he's done in the last month.

He cant hit the cage, and when he does, 95% of the time the goalie might as well be wearing a bullseye on his chest. He spends a fair amount of time offsides, and his backchecking is horrid.

This deal sucks. You guys don't watch many 10:30pm starting Kings games I imagine.
And what exactly is Jason Ward doing?

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 and 14 View Post
Except of course that Tikkanen put his team first, and himself second. The opposite case with Sean.
he'd also have to be at least a reasonably effective checker to fill a Tikkanen-esque role - not happening.

Rangers are getting someone that at best falls somewhere between Ryan Hollweg and Matthew Lombardi with a massive ego, incredible ability to be offsides, take stupid penalties (that normally cancel out all the ones he supposedly draws) and a sharp ability to divide the locker room.

Glenn Sather makes me sick.
By any chance did you happen to catch Barnaby at the same age?

Old
eco's bones

Looking at Avery's numbers--his 28 points would put him in 5th place in scoring on our team--right ahead of Roszival, Cullen and Prucha. He has 160 shots on goal?!!!--that would easily be third on our team behind only Shanahan and Jagr. He must crash the net a lot. Listed at 5-9 185?!!! In any case he's not necessarily 4th line material when you consider Hollweg and Orr are scoreless this season--Hossa, Betts, Hall and Ortmeyer (although Jed's 6 points in 13 games isn't bad) are hardly producing anything offensively. The added grit hopefully will work for us more than against us.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Edge

Quote:
Reminds me a lot of our next Bryce Lampman.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Looking at Avery's numbers--his 28 points would put him in 5th place in scoring on our team--right ahead of Roszival, Cullen and Prucha. He has 160 shots on goal?!!!--that would easily be third on our team behind only Shanahan and Jagr. He must crash the net a lot. Listed at 5-9 185?!!! In any case he's not necessarily 4th line material when you consider Hollweg and Orr are scoreless this season--Hossa, Betts, Hall and Ortmeyer (although Jed's 6 points in 13 games isn't bad) are hardly producing anything offensively. The added grit hopefully will work for us more than against us.
Take away a recent 10 game skid where the Kings utterly tanked and ASvery went pointless with a -10, he has 28 points and an even player i nthe rset of those games, not an easy fear for a team as bad as the Kings..

Not directed at you because we are in agreement but, Avery is not even close to a 4th liner....A 4th liner doesn't lead the league in drawn penalties...He goes to the net, he antagaonizes, he hits, he fights, he turtles and he has some skill..On ANY team, he is at least a significant 3rd liner. maybe more if he keeps maturing...good short term and long term

Old
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Edge

The big thing LArry is that I'm not even asking him to score 25 goals and 60 points.

If he can bring 10 goals and 30 points he's still bringing something the team lacks.

People keep harping back to his offensive abilities like the Rangers got him to enter in a skills competition. I mean we gave up Jason freakin Ward for him.

The player whon stands the biggest chance of "haunting" us in this deal is Cliche and that's assuming he becomes a second line player.

If Avery plays on the second line his numbers go up because he's playing with Shanny.

If he plays on the third line he still brings something this team needs.

I don't really get what the expectations of some people are.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:45 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
And what exactly is Jason Ward doing?

That's not the point, I honestly don't care who we lost in the deal. As far as I'm concerned the talent level traded across is a wash. It's the other things that Avery brings with him, a big loud mouth, cheap shots, turtling, diving, attitude.

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
That's not the point, I honestly don't care who we lost in the deal. As far as I'm concerned the talent level traded across is a wash. It's the other things that Avery brings with him, a big loud mouth, cheap shots, turtling, diving, attitude.
Sounds a lot like Matthew Barnaby when he was the same age.

And from all accounts, he's done a good job of maturing this season.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:53 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Sounds a lot like Matthew Barnaby when he was the same age.

And from all accounts, he's done a good job of maturing this season.
My natural reaction is that is he's matured so much, then why were the Kings so eager to get rid of him?

I'm betting that he's still a locker room cancer. I'm definitely unhappy about this trade.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote