HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Potential top 5 pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2007, 01:06 PM
  #26
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
Well, the Flyers wanted Sanguinetti badly and given their first round picks, that is a good sign. They wanted Staal badly as well.

Jessiman needs to play 20 to 25 minutes a night in the AHL and on the PP a ton. You can't take a raw powerforward and not play him like Schoney does. It's absurd. Watching Jessiman in a pre-season game. He has the skating and size to become a good pro. He just isn't sure what to do with it. To me, that's coaching.

Back to the orginal thread. That top potential top 5 pick is well within reach. Management can't possible think will still make the playoffs.

Can they?
Jessiman simply is not that good and putting him out there for 20-25 minutes over players like Dawes, Callahan, etc. would not really change that.

The problem with Jessiman is that he looks lost out there quite a bit and he still has the same problem he had against his peers in WJC and Ranger rookie camps, simply put he REALLY struggles to keep up with the pace of higher competition.

The excuses for Jessiman are wearing a little thing and in all honesty players who always have a reason for not meeting expectations usually aren't going to get there.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
  #27
dumpsathernow*
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Jessiman simply is not that good and putting him out there for 20-25 minutes over players like Dawes, Callahan, etc. would not really change that.

The problem with Jessiman is that he looks lost out there quite a bit and he still has the same problem he had against his peers in WJC and Ranger rookie camps, simply put he REALLY struggles to keep up with the pace of higher competition.

The excuses for Jessiman are wearing a little thing and in all honesty players who always have a reason for not meeting expectations usually aren't going to get there.
I disagree. I don't think Jessiman was ever given a chance at Hartford. You really don't know what he could do with a season of 20 to 25 minutes a game. If you are going to stick your neck out and draft a raw, powerforward prospect. You don't play him 10 minutes a game and expect him to improve.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:46 PM
  #28
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
I disagree. I don't think Jessiman was ever given a chance at Hartford. You really don't know what he could do with a season of 20 to 25 minutes a game. If you are going to stick your neck out and draft a raw, powerforward prospect. You don't play him 10 minutes a game and expect him to improve.
Jessiman was given the same chance as the other young forward, he got beat out. Simple as that.

He's gotten beat out in junior team camps, he's gotten beat out at the AHL, he's gotten beat out in rookie camps.

Let's be perfectly honest here, the last season in which Hugh looked anything like what was hoped was 2003-2004.

Since that time I've heard everything from Greek life distracting him to injuries impacting development to this being the year he is supposed to develop to Schonny done him wrong.

Let me ask you, when does it stop and at what point does the player have to EARN the icetime over other young talent?

This unfairness towards Hugh, could it be a result of the same things I saw when he was in Hartford? The fact that he just doesn't look like he can keep up?

Playing him 25 minutes, in place of other kids who've earned their time is not the way to go about things.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:47 PM
  #29
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutboy View Post
Scary, that when I looked at the standing today, trading a few players for picks and prospects could easily cause us to land in the lottery.
if you want a lottery pick the best way is to keep the team actually as it is (unless you are talking about unloading shanahan, nylander, straka and jagr)...dumping the deadwood for draft picks would hurt our chances of getting a top pick cause the kids would come up and win.

NYR469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:39 PM
  #30
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Playing him 25 minutes, in place of other kids who've earned their time is not the way to go about things.
This is something that most fans just never understand.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
  #31
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
This is something that most fans just never understand.
As far as I'm concerned there are prospects on that team that won the battle fair and square.

Granted they have had varying degrees of success and play different roles but at the end of the day guys like Callahan, Dawes, Korpikoski, etc. each have brought something to the table.

I think everyone acknowledges power forwards take longer to develop but they gotta start somewhere.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.