HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Can't stand the Concordia hippies

Old
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Mue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
There are too many people going for a free ride
I can agree with this..but I find the students who are there "just for the free ride" tend to be the ones who do not pay their own way...Mommy and Daddy fit the bill (no matter how large)...Raising tuition is not going to weed out these kids...it is just going to assure that people like myself can't go (people who very much appreciate the academics).

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I can agree with this..but I find the students who are there "just for the free ride" tend to be the ones who do not pay their own way...Mommy and Daddy fit the bill (no matter how large)...Raising tuition is not going to weed out these kids...it is just going to assure that people like myself can't go (people who very much appreciate the academics).
I can see your point. In that case I would raise the admission requirements. Instead of academic probabtion being anything under a 2.0 GPA, make it a 2.5 GPA. If anything, maybe it'll wake up the ones who are here on mom and dad's money.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:38 PM
MTL-rules

Boy did I got it right when I said marketing

I don't really want to get into the debate, because it's a complicating one (I should know, that's what I'm studying), but let me just "reposition" the actual problem...

It's not a question that universities must raise tuition, but simply that they must get more money...There are 3 ways to do that, raise tuitions, raise government spending and raise private investments...

So it's not like they MUST raise tuitions...

...but, really guys, it's way too complicated to talk about that, like they do on talk-shows!

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
Brown laptop desks on the 3rd floor. I'm not so tall.
I'm next to the projectors '' TV area '' 2 asian chicks next to me, one is a fatty !!!!

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

yup I'm on the third !!! so gimme more clues I need to find a waffle ! I have a red Macbook !

Old
02-06-2007, 02:45 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Boy did I got it right when I said marketing

I don't really want to get into the debate, because it's a complicating one (I should know, that's what I'm studying), but let me just "reposition" the actual problem...

It's not a question that universities must raise tuition, but simply that they must get more money...There are 3 ways to do that, raise tuitions, raise government spending and raise private investments...

So it's not like they MUST raise tuitions...

...but, really guys, it's way to complicated to talk about that, like they do on talk-shows!
Are you trying to say Marketing is some sort of cake major? It's now become probably the toughest facaulty at JMSB. Besides, if you want to go anywhere in the corperate world, you need a solid foundation in Marketing. This isn't the 80's anymore.

I'm also doing a minor in financial accounting, if you must know.

At least we agree on the fact that this school desperately needs money.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:46 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
yup I'm on the third !!! so gimme more clues I need to find a waffle ! I have a red Macbook !
I have a grey Dell. I think I'm on the other side, there's nobody around me.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Mue

I'm a sociology major...no room for me in this corporate world!

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
I'm a sociology major...no room for me in this corporate world!
If I ever start my own company I won't hire anyone with a business degree.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

I'm in history ... I suck ...

but on the positive side ! I'll probably earn some dumb scholarship somewhere and live with 60 bucks a week till my PHD is finished ...

then I go to cancun to educate America's workforce !!! ARIIIIBA !!!!!!

Old
02-06-2007, 02:50 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
I have a grey Dell. I think I'm on the other side, there's nobody around me.
ok ! I just went by that huge area of people sitting down ! went through the books gimme directions I'm studying and I'm bored !

Old
02-06-2007, 02:53 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Are you trying to say Marketing is some sort of cake major? It's now become probably the toughest facaulty at JMSB. Besides, if you want to go anywhere in the corperate world, you need a solid foundation in Marketing. This isn't the 80's anymore.
No, I just thought it was hilarious that I was right on the money (Thanks to have the gutts to confirm it)

...actually, I don't really care what people study, you do what you like, that's fine with me. But, I dislike the fact that people make stereotyped statements about subject that they don't really know well. I mean what does marketing as to do with the learning and understanding of the educational system...do I try to pass as an expert in market studies while I don't know much about it, no!

Old
02-06-2007, 02:53 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
ok ! I just went by that huge area of people sitting down ! went through the books gimme directions I'm studying and I'm bored !
c'mon, find him

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I'm in history ... I suck ...

but on the positive side ! I'll probably earn some dumb scholarship somewhere and live with 60 bucks a week till my PHD is finished ...

then I go to cancun to educate America's workforce !!! ARIIIIBA !!!!!!
I don't even know if I'm going to stay in business after I graduate. I really had high ambitions when I started but now that I'm near the end I don't know if I have the same motivation anymore. I'm in my 3rd year and only now have I met a teacher who's truly inspired me about the corperate world (Brent Pearce, for those who know him). He's a real success, and even he pondered about getting out of the corperate machine a few times.

Old
02-06-2007, 03:00 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
At least we agree on the fact that this school desperately needs money.
Sorry, I forgot to answer that one...

Well, yes, I agree, but some may not...

They could get "more money" per student, by decreasing the number of students, teachers, study groups, etc...in general, reducing the cost or spending if you like...

So, I should say that they must have more money in regard of the operationnal cost...(I told you it was complicated...)

Old
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I'm where those big grey individual desks are, along the wall. It's the third floor of the building, but the second floor of the actual library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
No, I just thought it was hilarious that I was right on the money (Thanks to have the gutts to confirm it)

...actually, I don't really care what people study, you do what you like, that's fine with me. But, I dislike the fact that people make stereotyped statements about subject that they don't really know well. I mean what does marketing as to do with the learning and understanding of the educational system...do I try to pass as an expert in market studies while I don't know much about it, no!
Marketing isn't really advertising, not anymore anyways. Marketing actually emcompasses every aspect of business, from accounting to production management. I may not know about the intrecate details in running a university but the basic aspects of running a business can be applied here, for the most part.

Also, my profile here on HFBoards says that I'm studying marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
c'mon, find him
You guys planning a hit or something?

Old
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:
I don't even know if I'm going to stay in business after I graduate. I really had high ambitions when I started but now that I'm near the end I don't know if I have the same motivation anymore. I'm in my 3rd year and only now have I met a teacher who's truly inspired me about the corperate world (Brent Pearce, for those who know him). He's a real success, and even he pondered about getting out of the corperate machine a few times.
Nice !!! well there is alot of money in Biz admin ! thats for sure !

Old
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
ari1160

ahhh mann... am at mcmaster university in hamilton... and am paying 6 G'S just for courses....
ahh god damn... i shuda gone to schoolll in montreal

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I just got home from class at Concordia, I saw them as I was leaving. People like that are self-righteous who are protesting for the sake of getting attention and putting 'student activist' on their CVs. I pay less than 2 grand per semester, which I think is amazing, and these people want it even cheapier! How do they expect their education to be funded exactly? Quebec may have the highest taxes on the continent but they cry poor every chance they get so I doubt they're just going to dish out free BAs, last time I checked Quebec wasn't Saudi Arabia.
And another thing while i'm venting is the voting for ASFA, they make it seem really harmless but i'm sure there's more to it than simple 'recognition', why else would they have such a big campaign about it.

Last edited by montreal: 02-06-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: keep it clean
ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:09 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
You guys planning a hit or something?
yeah

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
good rant.

Track them down when they leave you'll probaly see them in 'green' cars worth 25k+.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:15 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Marketing isn't really advertising, not anymore anyways. Marketing actually emcompasses every aspect of business, from accounting to production management. I may not know about the intrecate details in running a university but the basic aspects of running a business can be applied here, for the most part.

Also, my profile here on HFBoards says that I'm studying marketing
Humm, touché for the profile, but I garanty you that I didn't look at it before (well, I think my response speaks for itself...)

As for the university as a business, it's pretty obvious now that they have become just that...but, there's more to it then just the business side...and you did talk about the protesters or the values of students or the social consequences of raison tuition and even the place of free education...Do you really have the necessary "tools" to analyse that

Old
02-06-2007, 03:20 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
yeah
Aw come on man, why does everyone want to kill waffled?

Old
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
The n00b King ©*

Dave i think you should start a group of protesters that protest the protesters (sort of self-defeating, in a way).

that'll get 'em.

on another note, i dunno what it's like for other programs, but as a designer i can tell you that the programs (Computation Arts and Design art) arent no piece of cake to get in!

they only take 25 and 50 (respectively) each a year. And they have over 300 applicants per program. Super competitive. I HIGHLY doubt any student who gets in is in it for a "free ride".

maybe when it's programs like psychology or something like that, where everyone knows that people who start out in psych is cuz they dont know what to do with themselves in the first place...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Typical liberal hippies.. always looking for a handout.
ZOMG I can't afford 3k for education, but I can afford 3k in XBOX360 games, weed, pop and Cheetos!!11 THIS IS ALL HARPER/BUSH'S FAULT111!1ONEONE

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote