Notices

This years draft

Closed Thread

Old
01-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Dundalis

vCash: 500
This years draft

I hope Schremp drop like Red Line says and the Stars can take him, especially if they don't make the playoffs. I doubt it though after how well he played. Dallas really do need someone who can replace Modano.....maybe they can trade up to get him.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Starsdude

unlikely

Old
01-24-2004, 11:18 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Tukonen is rumoured to be in the top 10 but might have a drop of value. Maybe he could be the sniper prospect the stars sorely lack?

Old
01-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Tukonen is rumoured to be in the top 10 but might have a drop of value. Maybe he could be the sniper prospect the stars sorely lack?
The Stars will draft the best defenseman available, preferaby one with a sound mobility and a fine offensive game.

Old
01-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
The Stars will draft the best defenseman available, preferaby one with a sound mobility and a fine offensive game.
How do you know? I think they need good forwards more than defensemen. They should get rid of some of our better players like they were gonna do last year draft and trade up. Guerin or Arnott I think. Tukonen would be good too. It would be awesome if they could snatch Schremp though. Hopefully it might be a O'Sullivan situation and he will drop.

Old
01-24-2004, 11:43 PM
OttMorrow

Send a message via AIM to OttMorrow
I too think Tukonen would be a great addition to this team, especially since he is a Finn. I just hope we don't pick any more damn goalies in the early rounds.

Old
01-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundalis
How do you know? I think they need good forwards more than defensemen. They should get rid of some of our better players like they were gonna do last year draft and trade up. Guerin or Arnott I think. Tukonen would be good too. It would be awesome if they could snatch Schremp though. Hopefully it might be a O'Sullivan situation and he will drop.
How do I know? I don't, but looking at our needs, our D is what needs extra attention. Our current Defense is like 33 and we only have Trevor Daley as a definite top 4 guy, there are some with the same potential, but they aren't a sure thing. D is definitely our most pressing need and obviously the most glaring weakness in the system. Sure we could use a top centerman or a right wing sniper, but I think the current situation with the likes of Miettinen, Ott, Jokinen, Polak, Eriksson and even Kapanen and the likes is A LOT better then our situation on the blueline.

Old
01-25-2004, 04:21 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
How do I know? I don't, but looking at our needs, our D is what needs extra attention. Our current Defense is like 33 and we only have Trevor Daley as a definite top 4 guy, there are some with the same potential, but they aren't a sure thing. D is definitely our most pressing need and obviously the most glaring weakness in the system. Sure we could use a top centerman or a right wing sniper, but I think the current situation with the likes of Miettinen, Ott, Jokinen, Polak, Eriksson and even Kapanen and the likes is A LOT better then our situation on the blueline.
No all we really need is to trade for a decent stay at home defensemen and our defense is fine. We have promising young stay at home defensemen, but scoring is what we need. We really do need someone who can replace Modano and all of the names you said will all likely be lower line forwards. Miettinen and Ott maybe, but I don't see them being stars, good solid players 2nd line. There is no way the Stars should pass up the opportunity to take a Schremp or even a Tukonen if they can for a defensemen. Even though I do like Meszaros from the little ive seen. I think the 2005 draft has better defensemen anyways, they should wait until then.

Old
01-26-2004, 12:32 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
No all we really need is to trade for a decent stay at home defensemen and our defense is fine.
Excuse me? Stay at home defensemen? Don't you think Erskine, Jancevski, Nickerson, Waugh, Bagnall, etc.. is enough? Compare it to our puckmovers and we only have Daley, not sure about Vagner.

Old
01-26-2004, 02:43 PM
Starsdude

Quote:
Excuse me? Stay at home defensemen? Don't you think Erskine, Jancevski, Nickerson, Waugh, Bagnall, etc.. is enough? Compare it to our puckmovers and we only have Daley, not sure about Vagner.

Bagnall can supposibly move the puck some as can Granath but I agree on your point

Old
01-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
When I said that I was talking about the immediate future, not the long term one. Sure long term maybe, but not for a couple years (We still have Zubov and also Boucher to an extent along with Daley). We might not have as high a pick as this year again, so I think try to pick up a potential franchise player now, while there may be one available through lucky circumstances.

Old
01-29-2004, 09:03 PM
denniso

Quote:
When I said that I was talking about the immediate future, not the long term one. Sure long term maybe, but not for a couple years (We still have Zubov and also Boucher to an extent along with Daley). We might not have as high a pick as this year again, so I think try to pick up a potential franchise player now, while there may be one available through lucky circumstances.

You can't talk about "immediate future" and the draft in the same breath. Guys over 30 are non-factors when considering the draft/organizational depth. Zubov will not be playing with any defenseman we draft in 2004, unless we have one of the top 5 picks + some luck.

We need a top defenseman with offensive skill and we also need a franchise scoring forward. I hope they are not fixed upon position and take the best of either available when their turn comes up.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniso
You can't talk about "immediate future" and the draft in the same breath. Guys over 30 are non-factors when considering the draft/organizational depth. Zubov will not be playing with any defenseman we draft in 2004, unless we have one of the top 5 picks + some luck.

We need a top defenseman with offensive skill and we also need a franchise scoring forward. I hope they are not fixed upon position and take the best of either available when their turn comes up.

So you are then saying Zubov will retire after 2004-05? What I meant was that the need for a offensive defensemen is not too imminent and therefore drafting one can wait until the 2005 draft. When I believe there will be better defensemen available. The franchise forwards tend to go higher than the franchise defensemen do, and we should make use of the higher pick we will have than normal.

Old
01-30-2004, 12:28 AM
Starsdude

I think stay at home types can be had fairly easily and cheaply unless you are talking Hatch or Pronger. Puck movers get a premium. Just the way it is . When in doubt take the guy who can move the puck but really if I am the stars I take the best player available except goalie

Old
01-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
When in doubt take the guy who can move the puck but really if I am the stars I take the best player available except goalie.
I agree with this 100%. Take the best talent avaliable. Just because you need a D-man, doesn't mean you go after one. Take the best player at the time. That's all there is to it.

Old
01-30-2004, 05:32 PM
denniso

Quote:
So you are then saying Zubov will retire after 2004-05? What I meant was that the need for a offensive defensemen is not too imminent and therefore drafting one can wait until the 2005 draft. When I believe there will be better defensemen available. The franchise forwards tend to go higher than the franchise defensemen do, and we should make use of the higher pick we will have than normal.
No, I am saying that you cannot count on a player, especially a defenseman, making any impact in the NHL for several years. Very few players play in the NHL the season after they are drafted, and most of those do not make much of an immediate impact. Half of the first rounders will not have a substantial NHL career. Most of the Stars TOP RATED prospects will not have a substantial NHL career.

To overcome the uncertainty of prospects, you have to look at quantities, not individuals. The Stars lack quantities of offensive defensemen and snipers. We have quantities of goaltenders and 2-way forwards, and somewhat on defensive defensemen.

Players like Zubov should not be considered into the draft selection process, because the chance of him being on the Stars, or playing anywhere in the NHL at an elite level, are pretty low in the time frame of the 2004 draftees reaching elite level.

Old
01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
Dundalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniso
No, I am saying that you cannot count on a player, especially a defenseman, making any impact in the NHL for several years. Very few players play in the NHL the season after they are drafted, and most of those do not make much of an immediate impact. Half of the first rounders will not have a substantial NHL career. Most of the Stars TOP RATED prospects will not have a substantial NHL career.

To overcome the uncertainty of prospects, you have to look at quantities, not individuals. The Stars lack quantities of offensive defensemen and snipers. We have quantities of goaltenders and 2-way forwards, and somewhat on defensive defensemen.

Players like Zubov should not be considered into the draft selection process, because the chance of him being on the Stars, or playing anywhere in the NHL at an elite level, are pretty low in the time frame of the 2004 draftees reaching elite level.
I think if a player is going to be anything in this league then likely 1 or 2 years to develop, 3 at the very most or they will likely be nothing. Zubov could still play a couple more years, same with the likes of Boucher, so I think you are wrong.

Closed Thread