HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the rebuild all over?

Old
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Stormer

vCash: 500
Is the rebuild all over?

I might have missed it but the h... does this Avery do for the rebuild? This is a bit confusing...........So much for using the farm........or does Girardi and Pock meet the expectations of a rebuild?...........or maybe Krog?

Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I might have missed it but the h... does this Avery do for the rebuild? This is a bit confusing...........So much for using the farm........or does Girardi and Pock meet the expectations of a rebuild?...........or maybe Krog?
I think Sather missed the memo from the majority of the posters on HFboards who decided that the team will rebuild.

Funny, he's usually very receptive to our input.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
You grow things on the farm to sell at the market, that's what Sather did..No problem...

But seriosly, we just picked up an established 26 year old NHLer that is getting better every year and brings enrgy, passion, attitude and a little skill to a team that needs all desperately..and did I forget to mention he's 26....And we gave up some prospects that have magrinal chances of MAYBE doing stuff in the NHL.Good deal for the present and future..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Edge

The acquiring of an abundance of draft picks is over.

The actual development and results from those picks is just begining.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
NYR_Geoff1

Send a message via AIM to NYR_Geoff1
I like the move if Avery can behave himself especially in the locker room. This team really needed a tough guy like him and he can actually help offensively too. This could turn out to be a very good trade, I just wish we didn't have to give up Cliche... but who knows what the future holds for him.

I just hope we dont need to have Colton Orr out there anymore. I think Hollweg and Avery are just fine for now

NYR_Geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
This rebuild has been over since it was first talked about.I didnt believe it then and still dont now, once I see a true turn around then ill believe until then its more talk just to make us NYR fans happy, since thats what we really want, and thats to see a ton of home grown kids playing in the NHL especially for the NYR's.

NYR needs to lose sathe and renney and get some real deal coaches and GM so this rebuild can be done right, look at buffalo and there patience, and look at them now, talent forom the farm on 3/4 of the team and there damn good, but NYR and alot of its fans ont have the patience to wait but I do , just to see some kids play, I could wait 2-3 years of losing to see progress. its worth every ait.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
shoothepuck

Even if a team is rebuilding, established players are needed. With Avery being an RFA you have to question the why/time of this deal, but it still adds a proven NHL player as opposed to unknowns, that on this team wouldn't see the line-up for years, if ever.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
Fletch

I sure hope it's over...

didn't think much of the rebuild effort anyways...

Just kidding, of course. But again, what's a rebuild anyways?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:52 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Because we trade Cliche doesnt mean the rebuild is over. We have an abundance of foward prospects who right now, none of them look like theyll be 1st liners if they ever make it to the NHL. So we have some parts to trade and thats what Sather did. Like Edge said we got all the draft picks and now were developing them. Staal is extremely close. Sauer should be in Hartford next year IMO. Sanguinetti, IMO, with the way he's played isnt far off either. I think he could make a strong case for making the team next year. He has been playing outstanding in the OHL this year with his offensive production which is what this team needs badly. Dubinsky, Korpedo, Dawes, and Callahan all arent that far off.

Think of it this way:

Dubinsky will replace whoever the 2nd line rental center is if we get one for the end of this year and next season

Korpedo will replace either Straka (b/c he retires in a year or two) or he replaces whoever the 2nd line LW is which could be in the end Hall with Hossa moving down to 3rd line LW

Dawes could replace anyone on the 3rd line wings which could bump ortmeyer down to 4th line

Callahan same as Dawes

Staal replacing Ward
Sanguinetti replacing Malik
Baranka replacing Rozival
Pock, Girardi, and Tyutin already there

Sauer in the wings

I'm not saying thats what will definitely happen but that could be a likely scenario which means NO sather has not gotten away from using the prospects he drafted and acquired two-three years ago.

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
cjdv16

one word.... grit. absent on your team.

Your farm is still in tact. I wouldn't worry about the deal or over analyze it.

Now if your GM gives the farm away to obtain a Bertuzzi.... well then....

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Larry Melnyk

I said it in the off-season, but I don't know what everybody was expecting....

There was no way this was going to be a rebuilding NHL team this season. Most of the kids just weren't ready and the Rangers wanted to go deep in the POs instead of holding auditions..At the same time, the Rangers have done the job in rebiulding the organization and farm from the bottom up, with more and more decent to good prospects being set in the pipe line..I agree that its time to give Callahan a shot becasue his play all year in the AHL, and really only his play and maybe Girardis, has earned that call up..Everybody else can use the development time in Hartford...

To me, next year was always going to be the key with more kids ready. Then will be the time to move the players out and take the rebuid/rennovation to the NHL levels..Becasue, lets face it, the Rangers will not nor should they do a full blown rebuild...UFAs will still be used to fill in the major holes (again, 1st/2nd C and top d-man) that we failed to do (but tried) this past off season and don't have in the organization

Old
02-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
I said it in the off-season, but I don't know what everybody was expecting....

There was no way this was going to be a rebuilding NHL team this season. Most of the kids just weren't ready and the Rangers wanted to go deep in the POs instead of holding auditions..At the same time, the Rangers have done the job in rebiulding the organization and farm from the bottom up, with more and more decent to good prospects being set in the pipe line..I agree that its time to give Callahan a shot becasue his play all year in the AHL, and really only his play and maybe Girardis, has earned that call up..Everybody else can use the development time in Hartford...

To me, next year was always going to be the key with more kids ready. Then will be the time to move the players out and take the rebuid/rennovation to the NHL levels..Becasue, lets face it, the Rangers will not nor should they do a full blown rebuild...UFAs will still be used to fill in the major holes (again, 1st/2nd C and top d-man) that we failed to do (but tried) this past off season and don't have in the organization

I think for the most part I agree with you.

Old
02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
Uncle Jorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Agreed ... from what i can gather, Sather gave up a decent third line prospect and a a prospect they couldn't get signed for Avery, who is hardly over the hill himself. I wouldn't worry about thinking the rebuilding process has been abandoned until you see him giving up blue chip prospects.

Uncle Jorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
dank

agreed.. people had way too high of expectations.. you can't have it all.. we aren't doing too poorly (in terms of not giving players away).. we have the off-season to scoop up more of what we need and this Avery deal ain't too bad.. the majority of the people don't know much about Cliche but they are screaming bloody murder..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Edge

My feeling is that I'm willing to give up young talent to get back players who aren't past their primes and actually bring something to the team.

This deal has the potential to do that.

Essentially we gave up a possible second/third liner for the future for a second/third liner for the present. The difference is that Avery is still young enough that he could be a part of our future as well.

Old
02-06-2007, 03:28 PM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

Have to agree here. I don't understand the overreaction regarding this trade. It's not like Staal, Dubinsky, Montoya, Korpikoski, or a top 60 pick was involved here.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:29 PM
JRGNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
My feeling is that I'm willing to give up young talent to get back players who aren't past their primes and actually bring something to the team.

Essentially we gave up a possible second/third liner for the future for a second/third liner for the present. The difference is that Avery is still young enough that he could be a part of our future as well.
Agree here wholeheartedly. It's not like Avery is 36. If he was, then flame away on this trade. But he's 26, so there's a big difference.

I have more juice for this Rangers/Devils tilt tonight just because Avery's in the lineup and I know what he brings.

JRGNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:32 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

not only is avery a 2/3 liner of the present, but he also has some unique qualities (massive aggitation, probably alittle more grit) that Cliche was unlikely to develop.

We have 3 to 4 other players in the system like Cliche, but none of them are likely to develop into the kind of abrasive player that Avery is.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
NYR_Geoff1

Send a message via AIM to NYR_Geoff1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
I have more juice for this Rangers/Devils tilt tonight just because Avery's in the lineup and I know what he brings.
I'm looking forward to the next Rangers/Islanders game as well

NYR_Geoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:36 PM
dave4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGNYR View Post
Agree here wholeheartedly. It's not like Avery is 36. If he was, then flame away on this trade. But he's 26, so there's a big difference.
I agree. I'm Sather's biggest critic but there's a big difference trading for a 34 year old with bad feet and a 26 year old like Avery.

You can question how much cap space he'll eat up next year if we keep him, thus perhaps hindering our chance to secure a free agent like Drury, but at least Avery's best days aren't behind him, like too many players we've picked up over the years.

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:42 PM
Bacchus

The oldest player of that deal is Jason Ward (28).
2nd oldest is Jan Marek (27).

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:47 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Stop begging to play the kids, it isnt gonna happen - GET OVER IT!!!

There are two main reasons why the Rangers arent playing the kids:

1) They are not ready to play in the NHL, since most of them arent great to begin with thanks to Don Maloney.
2) Sather never intentioned to play the kids.

Every day I come on this site to post I see at least another 50 posts regarding playing player X from Hartford in player Y's spot. Its not going to happen, and heres why:

The Rangers have drafted poorly over the past few years, and all of their " big guns " they picked up years ago have done anything at all, and are just sitting in the minors. Don also managed for the Islanders, and the teams he fielded there were HORRIBLE.

PLAYING THE KIDS HAS NEVER BEEN A PART OF SATHER'S GAMEPLAN. When in the past few years have you seen Slats make a push to play the youth? Never. Just like Tom Renney, I highly doubt that Sather will change his performance and attitude.

Why did he sign Shanahan instead of letting Dawes take his spot? Because he never intends to play the kids. Why did he sign Rachunek and Ward? Why did he make a deal for Avery? Yep, you guessed it.

As long as Sather is here, there will be no total youth push that so many of you guys crave. Sather has never played the kids in the previous years being part of the Rangers organization as a GM, and will NOT change his mind.

So If you want to argue all you want about who should be on the roster, so be it. But there is about a 1% chance that you are going to see Sather make a youth push before his tenure as the Rangers GM expires.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Larry Melnyk

Somehow I think this belongs in the thread already started....

Old
HockeyBasedNYC

Who's begging?

Man thats a weird word. Say begging like 25 times in a row.
Its like it has no meaning after that...

Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging
Begging

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Who's begging?
Please. Almost everyone here has been begging at some time.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote